Cricklewood is an area of north-west London, England, 5 miles (8.2 km) northwest of Charing Cross, between Willesden Green and Dollis Hill to the west, Brondesbury and Kilburn to the south, West Hampstead and Childs Hill to the south-east and east, and Brent Cross to the north. The area is split between three London boroughs: Barnet to the north-east, Brent to the west and Camden to the south-east.
Cricklewood was a small rural hamlet around Edgware Road, originally the Roman road which was later called Watling Street, until the impetus for its urbanisation came with the surface and underground railways in nearby Willesden Green in the 1870s. The shops on Cricklewood Broadway, as Edgware Road is known here, contrast with quieter surrounding streets of largely late-Victorian, Edwardian, and 1930s housing. The area has strong links with Ireland due to a sizeable Irish population and The Crown pub, now the Clayton Crown Hotel, is a local landmark. The 35-hectare (86-acre) Gladstone Park marks its north-western edge.
Cricklewood has two conservation areas, the Mapesbury Estate and the Cricklewood Railway Terraces, and in 2012 was awarded £1.65 million from the Mayor of London's office to improve the area.
Clayton Crown Hotel, Cricklewood
|OS grid reference|
|Ceremonial county||Greater London|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
The small settlement at the junction of Cricklewood Lane and the Edgware Road was established by 1294, which by 1321 was called Cricklewood. By the 1750s the Crown (rebuilt in 1889) was providing for coach travellers, and by the 1800s it had a handful of cottages and Cricklewood House as neighbours, and was known for its "pleasure gardens". By the 1860s there were a number of substantial villas along the Edgware Road starting with Rockhall Lodge.
Childs Hill and Cricklewood station, later renamed Cricklewood, opened in 1868. In the summer of 1881 the Midland Railway Company moved its locomotive works from Kentish Town to the new "Brent Sidings", and in October of the same year it was announced that new accommodation for its workers would be built, later the now-listed Railway Cottages. Mr H. Finch laid out a handful of streets directly behind the Crown Inn, (including Yew, Ash and Elm Groves) in 1880. The station had become the terminus for the Midland Railway suburban services by 1884. The census of 1881 showed that the population had grown enough for a new church, and St. Peter's replaced a tin chapel in 1891. A daughter church called Little St. Peter's was opened in 1958 on Claremont Way but closed in 1983. The parish church on Cricklewood Lane was demolished and rebuilt in the 1970s. This church building was closed in 2004. Services for Anglicans were then held in the Carey Hall on Claremont Road (which is the church hall of Claremont Free Church) but were discontinued there in December 2015. The London General Omnibus Company commenced services to Regent Street from the Crown in 1883, and in 1899 opened a bus garage (Garage code W), which is still in use and was completely rebuilt in 2010.
By the 1890s, houses and shops had been built along part of Cricklewood Lane. Cricklewood Broadway had become a retail area by 1900 replacing the Victorian villas. The Queens Hall Cinema, later the Gaumont, replaced Rock Hall House, and was itself demolished in 1960. Thorverton, Caddington and Dersingham Roads were laid out in 1907, the year of the opening of Golders Green Underground station.
Cowhouse Farm, latterly Dicker's Farm and finally Avenue Farm, was closed in 1932. From 1908 to 1935, Westcroft Farm was owned by the Home of Rest for Horses; at its peak it could house 250 horses. The Metropolitan Borough of Hampstead opened the Westcroft Estate in 1935.
Much of the land to the west of Edgware Road was part of the estate of All Souls College, Oxford. Much of the land was wooded and in 1662 there were 79 oaks in Cricklewood. The transformation of the area came with the opening of the underground station in Willesden Green in 1879, which was known as Willesden Green and Cricklewood station from 1894 to 1938.
A number of developers acquired land in the area and built houses in the 1890s and 1900s. George Furness laid out what he called Cricklewood Park between 1893 and 1900 on Clock Farm. Roads in the area are named after trees (Pine, Larch, Cedar, Ivy, Olive). The name Cricklewood Park is no longer used. To the south of this, Henry Corsellis built Rockhall, Oaklands and Howard Roads from 1894; at the time he was also building in the Lavender Hill and Clapham Common area in Wandsworth. All Souls' College built a group of roads named after fellows of the college; for example, Chichele Road is named after Henry Chichele, founder of All Souls' College. Further expansion westward was blocked by the Dollis Hill estate, which became a public park, Gladstone Park, in 1901. To the north of Furness's Cricklewood Park Estate, Earl Temple built Temple Road by 1906 and surrounding roads. To the south, the Mapesbury Estate was built mainly between 1895 and 1905 and is a Conservation Area of largely semi-detached and detached houses.
With the introduction of the tram system in 1904, and the motorisation of bus services by 1911, numerous important industries were established. The first of these was the Phoenix Telephone Company in 1911 (later moved to the Hyde). The Handley Page Aircraft Company soon followed, from 1912 until 1917, at 110 Cricklewood Lane and subsequently occupying a large part of Claremont Road. The Cricklewood Aerodrome was adjacent to their factory.
The former aircraft factory was converted into Cricklewood Studios in 1920, the largest film studio in the country at the time. It became the production base for Stoll Pictures during the silent era. After later turning out a number of quota quickies, it closed down in 1938. Some years later, the property was redeveloped and currently hosts a Wickes DIY store.
A number of plans were drawn up around the turn of the 20th century to extend the developing London Underground network to Cricklewood. Several proposals were put forward to construct an underground railway tunnel under the length of the Edgware Road, including an unusual scheme to build a type of subterranean monorail roller-coaster, but these proposals were abandoned.
Cricklewood was home to Smith's Industries. This started in 1915 as S. Smith & Sons, on the Edgware Road, established to manufacture fuses, instruments and accessories. By 1939 it was making electrical motors, aircraft accessories and electric clocks. The large advertisement on the iron railway bridge over the Broadway next to the bus garage became a familiar landmark for decades. As the company grew it acquired other companies and sites overseas but Cricklewood remained the most important site, with 8,000 employees between 1937 and 1978. Coincidentally, Cricklewood also became the home for the first Smith's Crisps potato crisp factory, which replaced the omnibus depot at Crown Yard. Having moved into new premises in Cricklewood Lane, the yard was taken over by Clang Electrical Goods Ltd. From 1929 to 1933 the area was finally built over. Bentley Motors, builders of racing and sports cars, built a factory at Oxgate Lane in 1920, and Cricklewood remained the company's headquarters until it was bought out by Rolls-Royce in 1931.
From the 1960s, industry in the local area went into decline, and all the above-mentioned businesses have left.
There were two notable buildings on Cricklewood Lane, one of which survives. The first was Production Village, part of the British film-making scene and owned by Samuelson's, which towards the end was a pub with rehearsal rooms attached. On the same site was Clang's electrical from 1929 to the mid-1970s. Production Village was demolished in 2000, and is now a Virgin Active gym. Secondly, and a little further up the hill on the south side of the road, is a modern building, which was the factory that manufactured the revolutionary Stylophone handheld organ of the late-1960s to early-1970s – as demonstrated by Rolf Harris.
In June 2001, a lynx was captured in Cricklewood after 10 years of sightings by residents. The animal was originally nicknamed the "Beast of Barnet" by the local press following numerous sightings of a similarly sized animal around south Hertfordshire and the fringes of north London. A senior veterinary officer for the London Zoological Society arrived with the task of sedating the beast using a tranquiliser gun. It is believed that someone was keeping the animal illegally and it had escaped. The lynx was taken to London Zoo and named Lara.
Cricklewood station in Zone 3 is the nearest main-line station with Thameslink services to St Pancras, home of Eurostar since 2007, in approximately 10 minutes, Farringdon station in 16 minutes and Luton Airport in 35 minutes. There is a railway complex and sidings to the north of the station.
The area has a bus garage (Garage code W), completely rebuilt in 2010, meaning that many bus routes start or run through the area. There are frequent services to Victoria, Hammersmith, Oxford Street, Brent Cross and Golders Green among others
The Mapesbury Dell on Hoveden Road is an award-winning small park and garden administered by local residents. It started in 2000 when local residents in conjunction with the Mapesbury Residents Association decided that their local green space was too valuable to leave to fortune. The dell is open to the public during daylight hours and is used throughout the year, for example hosting carol services in mid-December.
Gladstone Park marks the north-western edge, covering approximately 35 hectares (86 acres). In 2003-04, Gladstone Park features and facilities were improved/restored with the aid of Heritage Lottery funding. The park contains a well maintained formal garden, children's playground, art gallery, café and pond, as well as good sport facilities (football/rugby/cricket pitches and tennis and netball courts). Barring fog and rain its peak gives good views of Wembley Stadium, the London Eye and the Shard. The park was frequented by Mark Twain around the turn of the 20th century whilst staying in accompanying Dollis Hill House, about which altogether he said he had "never seen any place that was so satisfactorily situated, with its noble trees and stretch of country, and everything that went to make life delightful, and all within a biscuit's throw of the metropolis of the world".
The historic Crown pub is a terracotta, grade two listed Victorian building on Cricklewood Broadway, built by the architects Shoebridge & Rising in 1899. It was fully restored in 2003, and reopened as the Crown Moran Hotel and with the addition of a 152-room 4 star hotel and restaurant (Kitchen at the Crown). Later, the hotel was renamed the Clayton Crown Hotel. The building style has been described as: "Free Flemish Renaissance, with two stepped and voluted gables in front of a slate mansard roof, a battlement turret at one end. Plentiful terracotta ornament; four handsome cast-iron lamp standards in front."
Another notable local building is the Cricklewood Baptist Church on Anson Road at the Junction with Sneyd Road. The church was built in 1907 of red and yellow brick in the Italian Byzantine style. Other local churches include St Gabriel's Church on Walm Lane; Claremont Free Church on Cheviot Gardens/Claremont Road built in 1931; and St. Agnes' Roman Catholic Church built in 1883 on Cricklewood Lane. St. Agnes' Catholic Primary school is next door and both cater for the large Catholic population of the area.
Cricklewood Pumping Station built in 1905 is another distinctive building, the interior of which was used as a double for the Titanic's engine rooms of the 1997 film, Titanic.
In June 2012, Cricklewood was awarded £1.67 million from the Mayor of London's Outer London Fund to boost the local high street, deliver growth, new jobs and improve lives. In addition to physical improvements to the area the funds will also go towards the running costs of the annual summer and pre-Christmas winter festivals. The OMG comedy club was inaugurated at the same time to contribute to the local cultural scene.
There are several residents' associations in the area: the NorthWestTwo Residents Association, the Mapesbury Residents Association, the Groves Residents Association and the Railway Cottages Association. A group of local artists set up a group called Creative Cricklewood. The Clitterhouse Farm Project are a local group working to save and restore the historic Clitterhouse Farm outbuildings on the corner of Clitterhouse Playing Fields on Claremont Road as a resource for promoting culture and community in a sustainable society.
Brent Cross Cricklewood, a £4.5 billion regeneration scheme for Cricklewood, Brent Cross and West Hendon was approved in October 2010, and is expected to start in 2014. A new Brent Cross Thameslink station, for 12-car trains, is planned, and for that reason the planned lengthening of Cricklewood station platforms, from 8 to 12-cars, has been abandoned. West Hendon is now being dealt with separately. This is currently the largest planned development scheme in London.
In April 2009, the London Borough of Camden decided to oppose the application. In May 2009, the London Borough of Brent concluded, although without widespread public pronouncement, that the developers needed to apply for planning permission from Brent as well as from Barnet, because of various road changes that spilled over on to Brent land. On 15 September 2009, Barnet recommended approval of the application, in a report to its 23 September Planning Committee, later postponed to 20 October. The issue was reported by local media, and was taken up by the national media.
From Willesden to Cricklewood
I tell you the town looked good
With Shoot-Up Hill before us
We leave the hemmed-in town
And raise a country chorus
To Cricklewood and The Crown
There stood a village marketplace
Where now you buy your yams,
And I like in memory to trace
The red electric trams.
However far their journeys made
They always waited here
And in this terracotta shade
Their passengers drank beer.
and others listed at Cricklewood Studios films.
A Gentleman of Paris is a 1931 British crime drama film directed by Sinclair Hill and starring Arthur Wontner, Vanda Gréville and Hugh Williams. It is based on the story "His Honour, the Judge" by Niranjan Pal.
It was made at Cricklewood and Lime Grove Studios.A Peep Behind the Scenes (1929 film)
A Peep Behind the Scenes is a 1929 British silent drama film directed by Jack Raymond and starring Frances Cuyler, Haddon Mason and Harold Saxon-Snell. It was based on the 1877 novel of the same title by Amy Catherine Walton. It was made at Cricklewood Studios.Bentley
Bentley Motors Limited () is a British manufacturer and marketer of luxury cars and SUVs—and a subsidiary of the Volkswagen Group since 1998.Headquartered in Crewe, England, the company was founded as Bentley Motors Limited by W. O. Bentley in 1919 in Cricklewood, North London—and became widely known for winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1924, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1930, and 2003.
Prominent models extend from the historic sports-racing Bentley 4½ Litre and Bentley Speed Six; the more recent Bentley R Type Continental, Bentley Turbo R, and Bentley Arnage; to its current model line—including the Continental Flying Spur, Continental GT, Bentley Bentayga and the Mulsanne—which are marketed worldwide, with China as its largest market as of November 2012.Today most Bentleys are assembled at the company's Crewe factory, with a small number assembled at Volkswagen's Dresden factory, Germany, and with bodies for the Continental manufactured in Zwickau and for the Bentayga manufactured at the Volkswagen Bratislava Plant.
The joining and eventual separation of Bentley and Rolls-Royce followed a series of mergers and acquisitions, beginning with the 1931 purchase by Rolls-Royce of Bentley, then in receivership. In 1971, Rolls-Royce itself was forced into receivership and the UK government nationalised the company—splitting into two companies the aerospace division (Rolls-Royce Plc) and automotive (Rolls-Royce Motors Limited) divisions—the latter retaining the Bentley subdivision. Rolls-Royce Motors was subsequently sold to engineering conglomerate, Vickers and in 1998, Vickers sold Rolls-Royce to Volkswagen AG.
Intellectual property rights to both the name Rolls-Royce as well as the company's logo had been retained not by Rolls-Royce Motors, but by aerospace company, Rolls-Royce Plc, which had continued to license both to the automotive division. Thus the sale of "Rolls-Royce" to VW included the Bentley name and logos, vehicle designs, model nameplates, production and administrative facilities, the Spirit of Ecstasy and Rolls-Royce grille shape trademarks (subsequently sold to BMW by VW)—but not the rights to the Rolls-Royce name or logo. The aerospace company, Rolls-Royce Plc, ultimately sold both to BMW AG.Brent Cross
Brent Cross is an area of the London Borough of Barnet, England, near the A41 Brent Cross Flyover over the A406 North Circular Road. Brent Cross is best known for the Brent Cross Shopping Centre and the proposed Brent Cross Cricklewood development.Brent Cross Cricklewood
Brent Cross Cricklewood is a planned new town centre development in Hendon and Cricklewood, London, United Kingdom. The development is planned to cost around £4.5 billion to construct and will include 7,500 homes, 4,000,000 sq ft (370,000 m2) of offices, four parks, transport improvements and a 592,000 sq ft (55,000 m2) extension of Brent Cross Shopping Centre. The developers of the scheme are Hammerson and Standard Life.
Construction was planned to start in 2018 and be completed in 2021–22, but in March 2018 a delay was announced to January 2019. In July 2018 it was reported that the shopping centre would be delayed indefinitely.Brent Cross West railway station
Brent Cross West formerly Brent Cross South / Thameslink / Parkway is a planned railway station on the Thameslink route on the Midland Main Line. It will serve Brent Cross and the northern parts of Cricklewood and Dollis Hill areas of north London and the proposal is part of the Brent Cross Cricklewood development, which also sees an investment to Cricklewood station further down the line. The station is set for opening in 2022.Cricklewood Studios
Cricklewood Studios, also known as the Stoll Film Studios, were British film studios located in Cricklewood, London which operated from 1920 to 1938. Run by Sir Oswald Stoll as the principal base for his newly formed Stoll Pictures, which also operated Surbiton Studios, the studio was the largest in the British Isles at that time. It was later used for the production of quota quickies. In 1938 the studios were sold off for non-film use.
Cricklewood Greats was a 2012 spoof documentary created by Peter Capaldi for BBC 4, about a different and entirely fictional film production company, also set in Cricklewood, which he called Cricklewood Film Studios.Cricklewood railway station
Cricklewood railway station is on the Midland Main Line in England, serving the town of Cricklewood in the London Borough of Barnet, north London. It is 5 miles 9 chains (8.2 km) down the line from St Pancras and is situated between West Hampstead Thameslink to the south and Hendon to the north. Its three-letter station code is CRI.
It is served by Thameslink services on the cross-London Thameslink route. It is in Travelcard Zone 3.Dawn (1928 film)
Dawn is a 1928 British silent war film directed by Herbert Wilcox and starring Sybil Thorndike, Gordon Craig and Marie Ault. It was produced by Wilcox for his British & Dominions Film Corporation. The film was made at Cricklewood Studios with sets designed by Clifford Pember.
Based on a play by Reginald Berkeley, this film tells the story of World War I martyr Edith Cavell. Sybil Thorndike stars as Cavell, a nurse who risked her own life by rescuing British Prisoners of War from the Germans. When Cavell was captured and sentenced to be executed, it sparked international outrage, even from neutral nations.Edgware Road Tube schemes
Edgware Road Tube schemes covers a number of proposals to build an underground railway in London, UK at the end of the 19th century. Each scheme envisaged building some form of rail tunnel along the Edgware Road in north-west London towards Victoria railway station.
These proposals were made at a time of intensive railway construction, following projects such as City and South London Railway. Like several other proposals at the time, such as the City and Brixton Railway, none of the Edgware Road schemes came to fruition.Fairlie Branch
The Fairlie Branch (also known as the Eversley Branch) was a branch line railway in southern Canterbury which formed part of New Zealand's national railway network. Construction began in 1874, and at its farthest extent, it terminated just beyond Fairlie in Eversley. Its closure came in 1968, but a portion remains open in Pleasant Point as the Pleasant Point Museum and Railway.Handley Page Transport
Handley Page Transport Ltd was an airline company founded in 1919 by Frederick Handley Page in the new era of civil flying after the First World War.
The first planes were a small number of Handley Page Type O/400 bombers modified for passenger use. These flew London-Paris. At a request from the Air Ministry the Handley Page Type W8 was later used for both Paris and Brussels.
On 31 March 1924 the assets and operations of Handley Page Transport were merged with three other British airlines to found Imperial Airways. The company itself remained dormant until reconstituted to take over Miles Aircraft in 1947 as Handley Page (Reading) LtdLondon Buses route 16
London Buses route 16 is a Transport for London contracted bus route in London, England. Running between Cricklewood and Victoria Station, it is operated by Metroline.North and West London Light Railway
The North and West London Light Railway (NWLLR), formerly known as the Brent Cross Railway, is a light rail service proposed by the London group of the Campaign for Better Transport and by the Coalition for a Sustainable Brent Cross Cricklewood, to serve parts of north, northwest and west London, being similar to the Docklands Light Railway (DLR). The proposal for a rapid transit network using existing or abandoned railway corridors was published in 2008.
The proposal has been promoted in the context of the Brent Cross Shopping Centre expansion project, a major urban planning scheme that involves the redevelopment of Brent Cross and northern Cricklewood. The stated aim is to alleviate anticipated traffic problems when this development goes ahead.The NWLLR has not been approved or funded.Riksa Islands
Riksa Islands (Bulgarian: острови Рикса, ‘Ostrovi Riksa’ \'os-trovi 'ri-ksa\) are three adjacent ice-free islands in the Aitcho group on the west side of English Strait in the South Shetland Islands, Antarctica. The islands are situated 250 m (270 yd) west of Bilyana Island, 650 m (710 yd) northeast of Emeline Island and 2.1 km (1.3 mi) east of Holmes Rock. The area was visited by early 19th century sealers.
The group comprises the islands of Cricklewood (62°23′05″S 59°46′27″W), Taunton (62°23′03″S 59°46′56″W) and Bath (62°22′53″S 59°47′19″W).Riksa Islands are named after the settlements of Kamenna (Stone) Riksa and Lower Riksa in northwestern Bulgaria. Criclewood Island is named after the district of London where the main part of the UKHO was located until 1968. Taunton Island is named after the town of Taunton in England, where the UKHO printing works has been located since 1941 and where the remainder of the Office moved in 1968. Bath Island is named after the city of Bath in England, where sections of the UKHO were temporarily located during World War II.The Bondman (film)
The Bondman is a 1929 British silent adventure directed by Herbert Wilcox and starring Norman Kerry, Frances Cuyler and Donald Macardle. It was based on a novel The Bondman by Hall Caine.
The film was made at Cricklewood Studios. Because it was made as a silent film at a time when sound film was taking over it was only able to secure release as a second feature.Hall Caine enjoyed the final movie.The Woman in White (1929 film)
The Woman in White is a 1929 British silent mystery film directed by Herbert Wilcox and starring Blanche Sweet, Haddon Mason and Cecil Humphreys. The film was made at Cricklewood Studios in London. It is based on the novel The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.
Several silent versions were made, one in 1912 and one by Fox in 1917 as Tangled Lives. Another 1917 silent version was filmed by Thanhouser and starred Florence La Badie. It survives in the Library of Congress. It was also remade in 1948.
The film's art direction was by Clifford Pember.Warned Off
Warned Off is a 1930 British silent film directed by Walter West and starring Tony Wylde, Chili Bouchier and Queenie Thomas. It was made at Cricklewood Studios.When Knights Were Bold (1929 film)
When Knights Were Bold is a 1929 British silent adventure film directed by Tim Whelan and starring Nelson Keys, Miriam Seegar and Eric Bransby Williams. It was adapted from the 1906 play When Knights Were Bold by Harriett Jay and made at Cricklewood Studios.
|Parks and open spaces|
|Tube and rail stations|
|Parks and open spaces|
|Tube and rail stations|
|Central activities zone|
|Lists of areas|