County borough is a term introduced in 1889 in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (excluding Scotland), to refer to a borough or a city independent of county council control. They were abolished by the Local Government Act 1972 in England and Wales, but continue in use for lieutenancy and shrievalty in Northern Ireland. In the Republic of Ireland they remain in existence but have been renamed cities under the provisions of the Local Government Act 2001. The Local Government (Wales) Act 1994 re-introduced the term for certain "principal areas" in Wales. Scotland did not have county boroughs but instead counties of cities. These were abolished on 16 May 1975. All four Scottish cities of the time — Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, and Glasgow — were included in this category. There was an additional category of large burgh in the Scottish system, which were responsible for all services apart from police, education and fire.
|Location||England and Wales and Ireland|
|Created by||Local Government Act 1888|
Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898
Local Government (Wales) Act 1994
|Abolished by||Local Government (Boundaries) Act (Northern Ireland) 1971|
Local Government Act 1972
Local Government Act 2001
|Abolished||Northern Ireland 1973 (local government)|
England and Wales 1974
|Number||11 (as of 2008)|
|Possible types||Lieutenancy area (2)|
Principal area (9)
When county councils were first created in 1889, it was decided that to let them have authority over large towns or cities would be impractical, and so any large incorporated place would have the right to be a county borough, and thus independent from the administrative county it would otherwise come under. Some cities and towns were already independent counties corporate, and most were to become county boroughs. Originally ten county boroughs were proposed; Bristol, Hull, Newcastle upon Tyne and Nottingham, which were already counties, and Birmingham, Bradford, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, and Sheffield, which were not. The Local Government Act 1888 as eventually passed required a population of over 50,000 except in the case of existing counties corporate. This resulted in 61 county boroughs in England and two in Wales (Cardiff and Swansea). Several exceptions were allowed, mainly for historic towns: Bath, Dudley and Oxford were all under the 50,000 limit in the 1901 census. Some of the smaller counties corporate—Berwick upon Tweed, Lichfield, Lincoln, Poole, Carmarthen and Haverfordwest—did not become county boroughs, although Canterbury, with a population under 25,000, did.
Various new county boroughs were constituted in the following decades as more boroughs reached the 50,000 minimum and then promoted Acts to constitute them county boroughs. The granting of county borough status was the subject of much disagreement between the large municipal boroughs and the county councils. The population limit provided county councils with a disincentive to allow mergers or boundary amendments to districts that would create authorities with large populations, as this would allow them to seek county borough status and remove the tax base from the administrative county.
County boroughs to be constituted in this era were a mixed bag, including some towns that would continue to expand such as Bournemouth and Southend-on-Sea. Other towns such as Burton upon Trent and Dewsbury were not to increase in population much past 50,000. 1913 saw the attempts of Luton and Cambridge to gain county borough status defeated in the House of Commons, despite the approval of the Local Government Board — the removal of Cambridge from Cambridgeshire would have reduced the income of Cambridgeshire County Council by over half.
Upon recommendation of a commission chaired by the Earl of Onslow, the population threshold was raised to 75,000 in 1926, by the Local Government (County Boroughs and Adjustments) Act 1926, which also made it much harder to expand boundaries. The threshold was raised to 100,000 by the Local Government Act 1958.
The viability of the county borough of Merthyr Tydfil came into question in the 1930s. Due to a decline in the heavy industries of the town, by 1932 more than half the male population was unemployed, resulting in very high municipal rates in order to make public assistance payments. At the same time the population of the borough was lower than when it had been created in 1908. A royal commission was appointed in May 1935 to "investigate whether the existing status of Merthyr Tydfil as a county borough should be continued, and if not, what other arrangements should be made". The commission reported the following November, and recommended that Merthyr should revert to the status of a non-county borough, and that public assistance should be taken over by central government. In the event county borough status was retained by the town, with the chairman of the Welsh Board of Health appointed as administrative adviser in 1936.
After the Second World War the creation of new county boroughs in England and Wales was effectively suspended, pending a local government review. A government white paper published in 1945 stated that "it is expected that there will be a number of Bills for extending or creating county boroughs" and proposed the creation of a boundary commission to bring coordination to local government reform. The policy in the paper also ruled out the creation of new county boroughs in Middlesex "owing to its special problems". The Local Government Boundary Commission was appointed on 26 October 1945, under the chairmanship of Sir Malcolm Trustram Eve, delivering its report in 1947. The Commission recommended that towns with a population of 200,000 or more should become one-tier "new counties", with "new county boroughs" having a population of 60,000 - 200,000 being "most-purpose authorities", with the county council of the administrative county providing certain limited services. The report envisaged the creation of 47 two-tiered "new counties", 21 one-tiered "new counties" and 63 "new county boroughs". The recommendations of the Commission extended to a review of the division of functions between different tiers of local government, and thus fell outside its terms of reference, and its report was not acted upon.
The next attempt at reform was by the Local Government Act 1958, which established the Local Government Commission for England and the Local Government Commission for Wales to carry out reviews of existing local government structures and recommend reforms. Although the Commissions did not complete their work before being dissolved, a handful of new county boroughs were constituted between 1964 and 1968. Luton, Torbay, and Solihull gained county borough status. Additionally, Teesside county borough was formed from the merger of the existing county borough of Middlesbrough, and the non-county boroughs of Stockton-on-Tees and Redcar; Warley was formed from the county borough of Smethwick and the non-county boroughs of Oldbury and Rowley Regis; and West Hartlepool was merged with Hartlepool. Following these changes, there was a total of 79 county boroughs in England. The Commission also recommended the downgrading of Barnsley to be a non-county borough, but this was not carried out.
The county boroughs of East Ham, West Ham and Croydon were abolished in 1965 with the creation of Greater London and went on to form parts of London boroughs. The remaining county boroughs were abolished in 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972, and replaced with non-metropolitan districts and metropolitan districts, all beneath county councils in a two-tier structure. In Greater London and the metropolitan counties the lower tier districts retained a wider range of powers than in the non-metropolitan counties.
This situation did not persist long. In 1986 the metropolitan county councils and the Greater London Council were abolished, returning the metropolitan boroughs to a status equivalent to the former county boroughs, but sharing some powers (police and transport for example). In the 1990s, many of the nonmetropolitan former county boroughs were reformed again as unitary authorities — essentially the same as a county borough. As a result, by 2015, most former county boroughs were either metropolitan boroughs or unitary authorities with a status similar to the old county boroughs. In England, most of those former county boroughs that did not gain unitary authority status—Barrow-in-Furness, Burnley, Canterbury, Carlisle, Chester, Eastbourne, Gloucester, Great Yarmouth, Hastings, Ipswich, Lincoln, Northampton, Norwich, Oxford, Preston, and Worcester—have given their names to non-unitary local government districts (in some cases coterminous with the old county borough, in other cases much larger). Burton upon Trent became an unparished area in the East Staffordshire borough, and has now been divided into several parishes.
For all practical purposes, county boroughs are exactly the same as the other principal areas of Wales called "counties" (including "cities and counties") as all these areas are run by unitary authorities (i.e.: have the functions of both boroughs and counties). Although unitary authorities are functionally equivalent to county boroughs, only in Wales is the title given official recognition by Act of Parliament.
The map depicts the county boroughs in England immediately prior to their abolition in 1974. County boroughs in Wales and Northern Ireland are not shown.
This table shows those county boroughs that existed in England and Wales between the Local Government Acts of 1888 (that created them) and 1972 (that abolished them from 1974).
|County borough||From||Associated county||1971 census pop||Successors in 1974|
|Barnsley||1913||Yorkshire, West Riding||75,439||Barnsley MB (part)||South Yorkshire|
|Birkenhead||1889||Cheshire||137,889||Wirral MB (part)||Merseyside|
|Birmingham||1889||Warwickshire||1,014,773||Birmingham MD (part)||West Midlands|
|Bolton||1889||Lancashire||154,223||Bolton MB (part)||Greater Manchester|
|Bootle||1889||Lancashire||74,304||Sefton MB (part)||Merseyside|
|Bradford||1889||Yorkshire, West Riding||294,164||Bradford MB (part)||West Yorkshire|
|Burton upon Trent||1901||Staffordshire||50,211||East Staffordshire (part) †||Staffordshire|
|Bury||1889||Lancashire||67,870||Bury MB (part)||Greater Manchester|
|Canterbury||1889||Kent||33,155||Canterbury (part)||Kent ‡|
|Cardiff||1889||Glamorgan||279,046||Cardiff (part)||South Glamorgan|
|Chester||1889||Cheshire ‡||62,923||Chester (part)||Cheshire|
|Coventry||1889||Warwickshire||335,260||Coventry MB (part)||West Midlands|
|Dewsbury||1913||Yorkshire, West Riding||51,354||Kirklees MB (part)||West Yorkshire|
|Doncaster||1927||Yorkshire, West Riding||82,671||Doncaster MB (part)||South Yorkshire|
|Dudley||1889||Worcestershire to 1966
|185,592||Dudley MB (part)||West Midlands|
|Gateshead||1889||Durham||94,464||Gateshead MB (part)||Tyne and Wear|
|Halifax||1889||Yorkshire, West Riding||91,263||Calderdale MB (part)||West Yorkshire|
|Huddersfield||1889||Yorkshire, West Riding||131,188||Kirklees MB (part)||West Yorkshire|
|Kingston upon Hull||1889||Yorkshire, East Riding ‡||285,965||Kingston upon Hull||Humberside|
|Leeds||1889||Yorkshire, West Riding||496,036||Leeds MB (part)||West Yorkshire|
|Lincoln||1889||Lincolnshire ‡||77,077 (1961)||Lincoln||Lincolnshire|
|Manchester||1889||Lancashire||543,741||Manchester MB (part)||Greater Manchester|
|Merthyr Tydfil||1908||Glamorgan||55,283||Merthyr Tydfil||Mid Glamorgan|
|Newcastle upon Tyne||1889||Northumberland ‡||222,172||Newcastle upon Tyne MB (part)||Tyne and Wear|
|Oldham||1889||Lancashire||105,922||Oldham MB (part)||Greater Manchester|
|Rochdale||1889||Lancashire||91,461||Rochdale MB (part)||Greater Manchester|
|Rotherham||1902||Yorkshire, West Riding||84,800||Rotherham MB (part)||South Yorkshire|
|St Helens||1889||Lancashire||104,326||St Helens MB (part)||Merseyside|
|Salford||1889||Lancashire||131,006||Salford MB (part)||Greater Manchester|
|Sheffield||1889||Yorkshire, West Riding||520,308||Sheffield MB (part)||South Yorkshire|
|Solihull||1964||Warwickshire||107,086||Solihull MB (part)||West Midlands|
|Southport||1905||Lancashire||84,524||Sefton MB (part)||Merseyside|
|South Shields||1889||Durham||100,676||South Tyneside MB (part)||Tyne and Wear|
|Stockport||1889||Cheshire||139,598||Stockport MB (part)||Greater Manchester|
|Stoke on Trent||1910||Staffordshire||265,258||Stoke-on-Trent||Staffordshire|
|Sunderland||1889||Durham||217,075||Sunderland MB (part)||Tyne and Wear|
|Swansea||1889||Glamorgan||173,355||Swansea (part)||West Glamorgan|
|Teesside||1968||Yorkshire, North Riding||396,233||Middlesbrough (part)
|Tynemouth||1904||Northumberland||69,339||North Tyneside MB (part)||Tyne and Wear|
|Wakefield||1915||Yorkshire, West Riding||59,591||Wakefield MB (part)||West Yorkshire|
|Wallasey||1913||Cheshire||97,216||Wirral MB (part)||Merseyside|
|Walsall||1889||Staffordshire||184,734||Walsall MB (part)||West Midlands|
|Warley||1966||Worcestershire||163,567||Sandwell MB (part)||West Midlands|
|West Bromwich||1889||Staffordshire||166,592||Sandwell MB (part)||West Midlands|
|Wigan||1889||Lancashire||81,144||Wigan MB (part)||Greater Manchester|
|Wolverhampton||1889||Staffordshire||269,112||Wolverhampton MB||West Midlands|
|Worcester||1889||Worcestershire ‡||73,454||Worcester (part)||Hereford and Worcester|
|Yarmouth||1889||Norfolk||50,236||Great Yarmouth (part)||Norfolk|
|York||1889||Yorkshire, West Riding ‡||104,783||York||North Yorkshire|
‡ these boroughs were counties corporate and were separate from the associated county for certain largely ceremonial purposes, principally shrievalty and administration of justice.
† had Charter Trustees
Only four districts with more than one county borough were formed: Wirral, Sandwell, Sefton and Kirklees. Elsewhere, county boroughs usually formed the core or all of a district named after the county borough - with the exceptions of Halifax, whose metropolitan district was named Calderdale, Burton upon Trent, which became part of the East Staffordshire district, and Teesside, which was split up between three non-metropolitan districts.
County boroughs to be abolished prior to 1974 were:
|Croydon||Surrey||1889||1965||Greater London: London Borough of Croydon|
|Devonport||Devon||1889||1914||County Borough of Plymouth|
|East Ham||Essex||1915||1965||Greater London: London Borough of Newham|
|Hanley||Staffordshire||1889||1910||County Borough of Stoke on Trent|
|Middlesbrough||Yorkshire, North Riding||1889||1968||County Borough of Teesside|
|Smethwick||Staffordshire||1907||1966||County Borough of Warley|
|West Ham||Essex||1889||1965||Greater London: London Borough of Newham|
|West Hartlepool||Durham||1902||1967||County Borough of Hartlepool|
Galway became a county borough in 1986.
In the Republic of Ireland, the relevant legislation remained in force (although amended), and county boroughs on the original model existed until 2001. Under the Local Government Act 2001 (which replaced most existing local government legislation in Ireland), the term "County Borough" was abolished and replaced with "City" (and hence, "Corporation" with "City Council"). However Kilkenny, while a city, is instead administered as a town (and part of the county council area) for local government purposes. It is allowed to use the title "Borough Council" instead of "Town Council" however.
The 2012 Torfaen County Borough Council election took place on 3 May 2012 to elect members of Torfaen County Borough Council in Wales. This was on the same day as other United Kingdom local elections, 2012. The Council shifted from no overall control to Labour.Birkenhead
Birkenhead () is a town within the Metropolitan Borough of Wirral in Merseyside, England. Historically in Cheshire, it is on the Wirral Peninsula, along the west bank of the River Mersey, opposite the city of Liverpool. In the 2011 census, the Parliamentary constituency of Birkenhead had a population of 88,818.The recorded history of Birkenhead began with the establishment of Birkenhead Priory and the Mersey Ferry in the 12th century. During the 19th century Birkenhead expanded greatly, becoming a town as a consequence of the Industrial Revolution, with Birkenhead Park and Hamilton Square being examples of the era. Around the same time, Birkenhead gained the first street tramway in Britain. Later, the Mersey Railway connected Birkenhead and Liverpool, with the world's first tunnel beneath a tidal estuary. Birkenhead is perhaps best known for the shipbuilding of Cammell Laird, and for the town's seaport.
In the second half of the 20th century, the town suffered a significant period of decline, with containerisation causing a reduction in port activity. During the first half of the 21st century, the Wirral Waters development is planned to regenerate much of the dockland.Bridgend County Borough
Bridgend (Welsh: Pen-y-bont ar Ogwr) is a county borough in southern Wales, UK. The county borough has a total population of 139,200 people, and contains the town of Bridgend, after which it is named. Its members of the National Assembly for Wales are Carwyn Jones AM, the former First Minister of Wales and Huw Irranca-Davies AM representing the Ogmore Constituency, and its Members of Parliament are Madeleine Moon and Chris Elmore.
The county borough lies at the geographical heart of south Wales. Its land area of 285 square kilometres stretches 20 km from east to west and occupies the Llynfi, Garw and Ogmore valleys. The largest town is Bridgend (pop: 39,773), followed by Maesteg (pop: 20,700) and seaside resort of Porthcawl (pop: 19,238). It is situated on the Ogmore River and its tributaries, although the Ewenny and Ogwr Fach rivers form the border with the Vale of Glamorgan for much of their length.
It was formed on 1 April 1996 under the Local Government (Wales) Act 1994. It includes all of the former Ogwr borough apart from the communities of Wick, St Bride's Major and Ewenny, which went to Vale of Glamorgan. Bridgend County Borough was divided into 20 communities: Brackla, Bridgend, Cefn Cribwr, Coity Higher, Coychurch Higher, Coychurch Lower, Cornelly, Garw Valley, Laleston, Llangynwyd Lower, Llangynwyd Middle, Maesteg, Merthyr Mawr, Newcastle Higher, Ogmore Valley, Pencoed, Porthcawl, Pyle, St Bride's Minor and Ynysawdre. The communities of Brackla, Bridgend and Coychurch Lower make up the town of Bridgend.Caerphilly County Borough
Caerphilly (Welsh: Caerffili; [kɑːɨrˈfɪli]) is a county borough in southern Wales, straddling the ancient county boundary between Glamorgan and Monmouthshire. It is governed by Caerphilly County Borough Council.
Its main and largest town is Caerphilly. Other towns in the county borough are Bedwas, Risca, Ystrad Mynach, Newbridge, Blackwood, Bargoed, New Tredegar and Rhymney.Conwy
Conwy (Welsh pronunciation: ['kɔnwɨ̞] (northern accents), Welsh pronunciation: ['kɔnwi] (southern accents), traditionally known in English as Conway, is a walled market town and community in Conwy County Borough on the north coast of Wales. The town, which faces Deganwy across the River Conwy, formerly lay in Gwynedd and prior to that in Caernarfonshire. The community, which includes Deganwy and Llandudno Junction, had a population of 14,208 at the 2001 census, and is a popular tourist destination. The population rose to 14,753 at the 2011 census. In the 2015 census "The size of the resident population in Conwy County Borough on the 30th June 2015 was estimated to be 116,200 people."
The town itself has a population of 4,065.The name 'Conwy' derives from the old Welsh words 'cyn' (chief) and 'gwy' (water), the river being originally called the 'Cynwy'.Conwy County Borough
Conwy County Borough (Welsh: Bwrdeistref Sirol Conwy) is a unitary authority area in the north of Wales.County town
A county town in Great Britain or Ireland is usually, but not always, the location of administrative or judicial functions within the county. The concept of a county town is ill-defined and unofficial. Following the establishment of county councils in 1889, the administrative headquarters of the new authorities were usually located in the county town of each county. However, this was not always the case and the idea of a "county town" pre-dates the establishment of these councils. For example, Lancaster is the county town of Lancashire but the county council is located at Preston.
The county town was often where the county members of Parliament were elected or where certain judicial functions were carried out, leading it to becoming established as the most important town in the county.
Some county towns are no longer situated within the administrative county. For example, Nottingham is administered by a unitary authority entirely separate from the rest of Nottinghamshire. Many county towns are classified as cities, but all are referred to as county towns regardless of whether city status is held or not. The term was also used historically in Jamaica.Gwent (county)
Gwent is a preserved county and a former local government county in south-east Wales. It was formed on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, and was named after the ancient Kingdom of Gwent. The authority was a successor to both the administrative county of Monmouthshire (with minor boundary changes) and the county borough of Newport (both authorities which were considered to be legally part of England until the Act came into force although considered jointly with Wales for certain purposes).Under the Local Government (Wales) Act 1994, Gwent was abolished on 1 April 1996. However, it remains one of the preserved counties of Wales for the ceremonial purposes of Lieutenancy and High Shrievalty, and its name also survives in various titles, e.g. Gwent Police, Royal Gwent Hospital, Gwent Wildlife Trust and Coleg Gwent. "Gwent" is often used as a synonym for the historic county of Monmouthshire — for example the Gwent Family History Society describes itself as "The key to roots in the historic county of Monmouthshire".The former administrative county was divided into several districts: Blaenau Gwent, Islwyn, Monmouth, Newport and Torfaen. The successor unitary authorities are the Blaenau Gwent County Borough, Caerphilly County Borough (part of which came from Mid Glamorgan), Monmouthshire (which covers the eastern 60% of the historic county), City of Newport and Torfaen County Borough.
In 2003 the preserved county of Gwent expanded to include the whole of Caerphilly County Borough; the Gwent Police area had already been realigned to these boundaries in 1996. In 2007, the population of this enlarged area was estimated as 560,500, making it the most populous of the preserved counties of Wales.Hanley, Staffordshire
Hanley, in Staffordshire, England, is a constituent town of Stoke-on-Trent. Hanley was incorporated as a municipal borough in 1857 and became a county borough with the passage of the Local Government Act 1888. In 1910, along with Burslem, Tunstall, Fenton, Longton and Stoke-upon-Trent it was federated into the county borough of Stoke-on-Trent. Hanley was the only one of the six towns to be a county borough before the merger; its status was transferred to the enlarged borough. In 1925, following the granting of city status, it became one of the six towns that constitute the City of Stoke-on-Trent.
Hanley is the de facto city centre having long been the commercial hub of the city of Stoke-on-Trent. It is home to the Potteries Shopping Centre and many high street chain stores.List of pre-nationalisation UK electric power companies
The electrical power industry in the United Kingdom was nationalised by the Electricity Act 1947, when over six hundred electric power companies were merged into twelve area boards.National Cycle Route 4
National Cycle Route 4 (or NCR 4) is a route of the National Cycle Network, running from London to Fishguard. Between London and Fishguard, the route runs through Reading, Bath, Bristol, Newport, Swansea, Llanelli and St David's. Within Wales, NCR 4 forms one of the branches of the Celtic Trail cycle route.Neath Port Talbot
Neath Port Talbot (Welsh: Castell-nedd Port Talbot) is a county borough and one of the unitary authority areas of Wales. Neath Port Talbot is the eighth most populous local authority area in Wales and the third most populous county borough. The actual population taken at the 2011 census was 139,812. The coastal areas are mainly English-speaking, however there are many Welsh-speaking communities in the Valleys to the north of the borough.
The county borough borders the other principal areas of Bridgend and Rhondda Cynon Taf to the east, Powys and Carmarthenshire to the north and Swansea to the west. Its principal towns are Neath, Port Talbot and Pontardawe.North Wales Fire and Rescue Service
The North Wales Fire and Rescue Service (Welsh: Gwasanaeth Tân ac Achub Gogledd Cymru) is the fire and rescue service covering the predominantly rural principal areas of Anglesey, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd and Wrexham in the north of Wales.
The service was created in 1996 by the Local Government (Wales) Act 1994 which reformed Welsh local government, by a merger of the previous Clwyd and Gwynedd fire services. It covers an area of 2,400 square miles (6,200 km2) with around 670,000 people. The Service employs over 1000 staff in operational and support roles.The fire authority which administers the service is a joint-board made up of councillors from Anglesey, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd and Wrexham councils.North Wales Police
North Wales Police (Welsh: Heddlu Gogledd Cymru) is the territorial police force responsible for policing North Wales. The headquarters are in Colwyn Bay, with divisional headquarters in St Asaph, Caernarfon and Wrexham.Torbay
Torbay is a borough in Devon, England, administered by the unitary authority of Torbay Council. It consists of 62.87 square kilometres (24.27 sq mi) of land, spanning the towns of Torquay, Paignton and Brixham, located around an east-facing natural harbour (Tor Bay) on the English Channel. A popular tourist destination with a tight conurbation of resort towns, Torbay's sandy beaches, mild climate and recreational and leisure attractions have given rise to the nickname of the English Riviera.Torfaen
Torfaen (; Welsh: Tor-faen [tɔrˈvaɪn]) is a county borough in Wales within the historic boundaries of Monmouthshire. It was originally formed in 1974 as a district of the county of Gwent and in 1996 it was reconstituted as a principal area.United Kingdom constituencies
In the United Kingdom (UK), each of the electoral areas or divisions called constituencies elect one member to a parliament or assembly, with the exception of European Parliament and Northern Ireland Assembly constituencies which are multi member constituencies.
Within the United Kingdom there are five bodies with members elected by electoral districts called "constituencies" as opposed to "wards":
The House of Commons (see United Kingdom Parliamentary constituencies)
The Scottish Parliament (see Scottish Parliament constituencies and regions)
The Northern Ireland Assembly (see Northern Ireland Assembly constituencies)
The National Assembly for Wales (see National Assembly for Wales constituencies and electoral regions)
The London Assembly (see London Assembly constituencies)Between 1921 and 1973 the following body also included members elected by constituencies:
The Parliament of Northern Ireland (see List of Northern Ireland Parliament constituencies)Electoral areas called constituencies are also used in elections to the European Parliament. (See European Parliament constituencies.)
In local government elections (other than for the London Assembly) electoral areas are called wards or electoral divisions.West Bromwich
West Bromwich ( (listen) BROM-itch), sometimes mentioned only as Bromwich, is a large market town and is one of the six amalgamated towns in the borough of Sandwell, West Midlands, England. Historically part of Staffordshire, it is 6.4 miles (10.3 km) northwest of Birmingham. West Bromwich has a population of almost 78,000 in 2018.Wrexham County Borough
Wrexham County Borough (Welsh: Bwrdeistref Sirol Wrecsam) is a local government principal area centred on the town of Wrexham in northeast Wales. The county borough has a population of nearly 135,000 inhabitants. Around 63,000 of these live either within the town of Wrexham or in the surrounding conurbation of urban villages. The remainder live to the south and east of the town in more rural areas, including the borough's large salient in the Ceiriog Valley. The area has strong links with coal-mining.
The county borough was formed on 1 April 1996. Borough status was inherited from the town of Wrexham, granted over 150 years ago. Most of the area was previously part of the district of Wrexham Maelor – with several communities coming from Glyndŵr – in the county of Clwyd.
The area includes a portion of the eastern half of the historic county of Denbighshire (although not forming part of the principal area of Denbighshire), and two exclaves of historic Flintshire: English Maelor and the parish of Marford and Hoseley.
Designations for types of administrative territorial entities
1 Used by ten or more countries or having derived terms. Historical derivations in italics.