Copperplate script

Copperplate is a style of calligraphic writing most commonly associated with English Roundhand. Although often used as an umbrella term for various forms of pointed pen calligraphy, Copperplate most accurately refers to script styles represented in copybooks created using the Intaglio printmaking method.

Bickham-letter-detail
A sample of a copper plate engraving on page 194 of The Universal Penman, first published c. 1740–1741. An example of George Bickham's English Roundhand lettering and engraving ability.

See also

Arthur Stace

Arthur Malcolm Stace (9 February 1885 – 30 July 1967), known as Mr Eternity, was an Australian soldier. He gained fame as a reformed alcoholic who converted to Christianity and spread his message by writing the word "Eternity" in copperplate writing with chalk on footpaths in and around Sydney, from Martin Place to Parramatta for about 35 years, from 1932 to 1967.

Bluecap Memorial

The Bluecap Memorial stands in the yard of the Cheshire Hunt Kennels in Kennel Lane, Cuddington, Cheshire, England. Bluecap was a Cheshire foxhound that was famous for winning a race against the hounds of Hugo Meynell of the Quorn Hunt in 1763. The memorial is in sandstone and consists of an obelisk standing on a plinth, with a brass plaque inscribed with a poem. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building.

Church of St Thomas the Apostle, Killinghall

The Church of St Thomas the Apostle, Killinghall, is an Anglican parish church in Killinghall, North Yorkshire, England. It was designed in 1879 by William Swinden Barber when the parish of Ripley was split to create the additional parish of Killinghall, and a new building was required to accommodate a growing congregation. It was opened in 1880. Among the early vicars posted in this benefice were two canons, Sydney Robert Elliston and Lindsay Shorland-Ball, and the Venerable Robert Collier, an Irish missionary who served in India and Africa.

Copperplate

Copperplate (or copper-plate, copper plate) may refer to:

Any form of intaglio printing using a metal plate (usually copper), or the plate itself

Engraving

Etching

Copperplate script, a style of handwriting and typefaces derived from it

Copperplate Gothic, a glyphic typeface designed by Frederic Goudy in 1901

Indian copper plate inscriptions, which usually record grants of land or lists of royal lineages carrying the royal seal, and play an important role in the reconstruction of the history of India

Eclectic shorthand

Eclectic shorthand (sometimes called "Cross shorthand" or "Eclectic-Cross shorthand" after its founder, J. G. Cross) is an English shorthand system of the 19th century. Although it has fallen into disuse, it is nonetheless noteworthy as one of the most compact (and complex) systems of writing ever devised.

Fountain pen

A fountain pen is a nib pen that, unlike its predecessor, the dip pen, contains an internal reservoir of liquid ink. The pen draws ink from the reservoir through a feed to the nib and deposits it on paper via a combination of gravity and capillary action. Filling the reservoir with ink may be achieved manually, via the use of a Pasteur pipette (eyedropper) or syringe, or via an internal filling mechanism which creates suction (for example, through a piston mechanism) or a vacuum to transfer ink directly through the nib into the reservoir. Some pens employ removable reservoirs in the form of pre-filled ink cartridges.

History of the Latin script

The Latin script is the most widely used alphabetic writing system in the world. It is the standard script of the English language and is often referred to simply as "the alphabet" in English. It is a true alphabet which originated in the 7th century BC in Italy and has changed continually over the last 2500 years. It has roots in the Semitic alphabet and its offshoot alphabets, the Phoenician, Greek, and Etruscan. The phonetic values of some letters changed, some letters were lost and gained, and several writing styles ("hands") developed. Two such styles, the minuscule and majuscule hands, were combined into one script with alternate forms for the lower and upper case letters. Due to classicism, modern uppercase letters differ only slightly from their classical counterparts. There are few regional variants.

Listed buildings in Christleton

Christleton is a civil parish in Cheshire West and Chester, England. It contains 32 buildings that are recorded in the National Heritage List for England as designated listed buildings. Of these, three are listed at Grade II*, and the others at Grade II. The largest settlement in the parish is the village of Christleton, and most of the listed buildings are in the village. These include houses with related structures, the church and items in the churchyard, almshouses, a memorial shelter, and a telephone kiosk. The Shropshire Union Canal passes through the parish, and three of its bridges are listed. Also listed is a former hydraulic sewage lift.

Nib (pen)

A nib is the part of a quill, dip pen, fountain pen, or stylus which comes into contact with the writing surface in order to deposit ink. Different types of nibs vary in their purpose, shape and size, as well as the material from which they are made.

Platt Rogers Spencer

Platt Rogers Spencer (also Platt R. Spencer) (November 7, 1800 – May 16, 1864) was the originator of Spencerian penmanship, a popular system of cursive handwriting. He was a teacher and active in the business school movement.

Quill

A quill pen is a writing implement made from a moulted flight feather (preferably a primary wing-feather) of a large bird. Quills were used for writing with ink before the invention of the dip pen, the metal-nibbed pen, the fountain pen, and, eventually, the ballpoint pen. The hand-cut goose quill is rarely used as a calligraphy tool, because many papers are now derived from wood pulp and wear down the quill very quickly. However, it is still the tool of choice for a few scribes who noted that quills provide an unmatched sharp stroke as well as greater flexibility than a steel pen.

Spencerian script

Spencerian Script is a script style that was used in the United States from approximately 1850 to 1925 and was considered the American de facto standard writing style for business correspondence prior to the widespread adoption of the typewriter.

Platt Rogers Spencer, whose name the style bears, used various existing scripts as inspiration to develop a unique oval-based penmanship style that could be written very quickly and legibly to aid in matters of business correspondence as well as elegant personal letter-writing.

Spencerian Script was developed in 1840, and began soon after to be taught in the school Spencer established specifically for that purpose. He quickly turned out graduates who left his school to start replicas of it abroad, and Spencerian Script thus began to reach the common schools. Spencer never saw the great success that his penmanship style enjoyed because he died in 1864, but his sons took upon themselves the mission of bringing their late father's dream to fruition.This they did by distributing Spencer's previously unpublished book, Spencerian Key to Practical Penmanship, in 1866. Spencerian Script became the standard across the United States and remained so until the 1920s when the spreading popularity of the typewriter rendered its use as a prime method of business communication obsolete.

It was gradually replaced in primary schools with the simpler Palmer Method developed by Austin Norman Palmer.

The text in Ford Motor Company's logo is written in this style, as is the Coca-Cola logo.

St James the Great, St Kilda East

St James the Great, St Kilda East, is an Anglican parish church in the City of Glen Eira, Victoria, Australia.

Located in Inkerman Street, St Kilda East, since its establishment in 1914, the parish is in the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne and is the smallest parish in terms of geographical area. From its beginnings in the chapel of St John's Theological College the church has been observantly Anglo-Catholic in its traditions of liturgy and teaching. Since the 1940s the municipality has gradually become the heart of Melbourne's ultra-Orthodox Jewish community.

The parish was founded in 1914, the church building commenced in early 1915 with the first regular Sunday service in the completed church on 27 June 1915.

Sydney punchbowls

The Sydney punchbowls, made in China during Emperor Chia Ch'ing's reign in 1796–1820, are the only two known examples of Chinese export porcelain hand painted with Sydney scenes and dating from the Macquarie era. The bowls were procured in Canton about three decades after the First Fleet's arrival at Port Jackson where the British settlement at Sydney Cove was established in 1788. They also represent the trading between Australia and China via India at the time. Even though decorated punchbowls were prestigious items used for drinking punch at social gatherings during the 18th and 19th centuries, it is not known who originally commissioned these bowls or what special occasion they were made for.

The punchbowls are a 'harlequin pair', similar but not exactly matching. The bowls have been donated independently, one to the State Library of New South Wales (SLNSW) in 1926 and the other to the Australian National Maritime Museum (ANMM) in 2006. The Library bowl is the more widely known of the pair. Its earliest provenance places it in England in the late 1840s, where it is said to originally have been commissioned for William Bligh; another source suggests Henry Colden Antill. It passed through several owners in Britain before it was presented to the State Library. The Museum bowl's first provenance is from England in 1932 and it has been suggested that it was made to the order of Arthur Phillip. Its whereabouts were unknown until it appeared in the Newark Museum, United States, in 1988, on loan from Peter Frelinghuysen Jr.. Through donations, the Maritime Museum later acquired the punchbowl from Frelinghuysen.

The punchbowls are of polychrome famille rose with gilding, adorned with panoramic views from opposite vantage points of early 19th century Sydney, combined with traditional Chinese porcelain decorations and each features a rare, lively tondo grouping of Aboriginal figures. The panoramas are detailed and show a number of landmarks in and around Sidney Cove at the time. The motifs have probably been taken from artwork by several artists working in Australia during the 18th and early 19th century.

Tommy's War

Tommy's War: A First World War Diary 1913–1918 is a diary written by Thomas Cairns Livingstone.

Written by Cairns Livingstone, a mercantile book keeper, the diaries cover a period from 1913 to 1933, began shortly after he, his wife Agnes and their son Wee Tommy moved to the Govanhill area of Glasgow in 1913.

The diaries remained largely unknown for much of the 20th century. The diary was passed on to his son and after his death in 1995 eventually turned up at an auction in Northumberland in 2005.The diaries were bought by an amateur historian, Shaun Sewell for £300. Two years later the BBC television programme The Antiques Roadshow visited Alnwick Castle in Northumberland and Sewell who was only in the area for a cricket match took the diaries along. They were featured on the programme and alerted the interest of 12 publishers. The publisher Harper Collins won an auction for the rights and the first volume, covering the period 1913 to 1918 was published in September 2008, with a foreword by the broadcaster and historian Andrew Marr.

The diaries cover the day-to-day lives of his working-class family in Glasgow, their trials and tribulations. He also records the minutiae and privations of their everyday life and the city of Glasgow. He also writes about his thoughts on the news of the day and the way they were affected by World War I. The diaries are written in a copperplate script, with some passages in Latin and French, illustrated with his own idiosyncratic drawings.

The paperback was released on Thursday 28 May 2009.

In 2010 a sequel was released called Tommy's Peace : A family diary 1919–1933 written by Livingstone, covering an everyday life in the inter-war period.

Vox-ATypI classification

In typography, the Vox-ATypI classification makes it possible to classify typefaces into general classes. Devised by Maximilien Vox in 1954, it was adopted in 1962 by the Association Typographique Internationale (ATypI) and in 1967 as a British Standard, as British Standards Classification of Typefaces (BS 2961:1967), which is a very basic interpretation and adaptation/modification of the earlier Vox-ATypI classification.Vox proposed a nine-type classification which tends to group typefaces according to their main characteristics, often typical of a particular century (15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th century), based on a number of formal criteria: downstroke and upstroke, forms of serifs, stroke axis, x-height, etc. Although the Vox-ATypI classification defines archetypes of typefaces, many typefaces can exhibit the characteristics of more than one class.

At the 2010 ATypI general meeting, the association voted to make a minor amendment to add Gaelic to the calligraphic group in the Vox-ATypI classification, to state that the Vox-ATypI system was seriously flawed, and to create a new working group on typeface classification.

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.