Codnor is a Derbyshire village and civil parish in the Amber Valley district, and a former mining community, with a population of 3,766 (including Cross Hill) as taken at the 2011 Census. It is approximately 12 miles from the city of Derby and 14 miles from Nottingham by road.
Codnor High Street: Codnor Clock and Poet & Castle pub.
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
Codnor is listed in an entry in the Domesday Book of 1086, the great survey commissioned by William the Conqueror; a mill and church were mentioned, and also the fact that "Warner holds it". Coalmining had a long history locally, and was, at one time, responsible for subsidence damage to some buildings. Opencast mining is still in operation today within the area and the land around the castle has also been subject to this.
1 mile (1.6 km) east of the village centre is Codnor Castle; the original Norman earthwork motte and bailey was built by William Peveril, (Peveril of the Peak, who also built the better known Peveril Castle at Castleton). The 13th-century stone structure which replaced it is now in ruins. The castle was formerly held by the powerful de Grey family. The castle overlooks the valley of the little River Erewash, which forms the county boundary between Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, and the now defunct section of the Cromford Canal. The castle was the subject of an investigation by archaeological television programme Time Team - first aired on 6 January 2008 - which discovered many new facts about the structure, as well as unearthing a solid gold coin, a 'noble' of Henry V.
At one time the village had a railway station (Crosshill and Codnor) which was operated as part of the Midland Railway. The branch line was torn up when colliery traffic waned, and the only signs of it that are now left are a converted station yard and some embankments.
Codnor had three Methodist chapels, all in the Ripley Circuit, as well as the Anglican church of St James, at Crosshill. The village was also the birthplace of the noted Victorian phrenologist 'Professor' Joseph Millott Severn, who authored the book My Village: Owd Codnor and funded a set of alms houses in the centre of the village, which still stand to this day.
In recent years Codnor has had traffic problems, because the A610 (the main road to/from Nottingham) goes through the village, carrying traffic to Ripley, and further places such as Matlock. Codnor also used to be served by trams; the 'Ripley Rattler' (so-called), used to travel between that town and Nottingham. These were quite notorious, and were even the subject of a short story - "Tickets Please" - by local writer D. H. Lawrence (born 4 miles away, in Eastwood). The standards, which had carried the electric power lines for the trams, and the later trolley buses, were not removed until the early 1960s.
Codnor has its own golf club, Ormonde Fields.
Codnor has a cricket club which has been in existence since 1924. Whilst having some difficult times in the early stages of the club, the club now plays at a competitive standard in the Derbyshire county league and fields both a 1st and 2nd eleven as well as two youth teams. The club currently play on Goose Lane, which used to be home to Codnor Miners Welfare before it was shut down in 2007.
Codnor also has three football teams. There is Codnor FC, who play in the Derby City Football League, Codnor Athletic Fc who play in the Alfreton QTS League and Codnor Miners FC - who play in the East Midlands Senior League 
There are three structures in Codnor civil parish that are listed by Historic England for their historical or architectural interest. These are the Church of St James beside the A6007, Home Farmhouse on Alfreton Road, and No.37 Nottingham Road. These are all listed as Grade II. Codnor Castle is also Grade II but is in the neighbouring parish of Aldercar and Langley Mill.
|North West Ripley, Butterley||North: Golden Valley, Riddings, Somercotes||North East: Ironville, Jacksdale|
|West: Waingroves, Ripley||Codnor||East: Codnor Castle, Stoneyford, Brinsley|
|South West: Denby, Kilburn||South: Loscoe, Heanor||South East: Langley Mill, Eastwood|
The 2014 Amber Valley Borough Council election took place on 22 May 2014 to elect members of Amber Valley Borough Council in England. This was on the same day as other local elections.2018 Amber Valley Borough Council election
Elections to Amber Valley Borough Council in Derbyshire, England took place on Thursday 3 May 2018. One third of the council seats were up for election.The Conservatives gained seats to strengthen their position controlling the council. After the election, the composition of the council was:-
Labour 20Arnold Warren
Arnold Warren (2 April 1875 – 3 September 1951) was an English cricketer who played first-class cricket for Derbyshire between 1897 and 1920 and played for England in 1905. He was the first bowler from Derbyshire to take 100 wickets in a season, a feat he performed three times.Baron Grey of Codnor
The title of Baron Grey of Codnor is a title in the peerage of England.
This barony was called out of abeyance in 1989, after 493 years, in favour of the Cornwall-Legh family of East Hall, High Legh, Cheshire.
The Lords Grey of Codnor are senior lineal representatives of the noble house of Grey, and as hereditary peers are eligible for election to a seat in the House of Lords. They descend from the eldest son of Henry de Grey, whose younger son Sir John de Grey was father of the first Baron Grey de Wilton. The first Baron Grey of Ruthyn was son of a younger son of the 2nd Baron Grey de Wilton, and Sir John Grey of Groby, descended from a younger son of the 3rd Baron Grey de Ruthyn, was the ancestor of the last known male-line branch of the ancient Greys, who held and lost the titles of Marquess of Dorset and Duke of Suffolk before being created Baron Grey of Groby and then Earl of Stamford before extinction in 1976. The last Earl was coincidentally seated at Dunham Massey, near High Legh.Chanel Cresswell
Chanel Cresswell (born 23 January 1990) is an English BAFTA award-winning actress, best known for playing Kelly Jenkins in the film This is England (2006) and the three subsequent series This is England '86 (2010) , This is England '88 (2011) and This is England '90 (2015).She has also appeared as Katie McVey in the Sky One sitcom Trollied from 2011 to 2013 and 2015 to 2018.Codnor Castle
Codnor Castle is a ruined 13th-century castle in Derbyshire, England. The land around Codnor came under the jurisdiction of William Peverel after the Norman conquest. Although registered as a Scheduled Ancient Monument and Grade II Listed Building the site is officially, as at 2016, a Building at Risk.Codnor Park and Ironville railway station
Codnor Park and Ironville railway station served the villages of Codnor Park and Ironville, Derbyshire, England from 1847 to 1967 on the Erewash Valley Line.Codnor Park and Selston railway station
Codnor Park and Selston railway station was a former railway station to serve the villages of Codnor Park and Selston on the border between Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire and was actually in Jacksdale.
In some timetables it was listed as Codnor Park and Selston for Ironville and Jacksdale.
It was opened by the Great Northern Railway (Great Britain) on its Derbyshire Extension in 1875-6 and closed in 1963.It lay on the branch from Awsworth Junction, to Pinxton, Codnor Park being important for an ironworks belonging to the Butterley Company.
Codnor Park and Ironville railway station opened nearby in 1847 on the Midland Railway Erewash Valley Line.
The tracks are still in place today; however, the line is not in use. They can be seen from trains running between Langley Mill and AlfretonCrosshill and Codnor railway station
Crosshill and Codnor railway station was a railway station which served the villages of Crosshill and Codnor in Derbyshire, England It was opened in 1890 by the Midland Railway on its branch between Langley Mill on the Erewash Valley Line and RipleyHenry Grey, 4th (7th) Baron Grey of Codnor
Henry Grey, 4th Baron Grey of Codnor (1435 – April 1496) was an English nobleman. Having initially supported the House of Lancaster during the Wars of the Roses, he later gave his allegiance to the victorious King Edward IV. Despite a record of controversy with other members of the nobility, he enjoyed the confidence of the King, who appointed him Lord Deputy of Ireland, an office in which he was a notable failure. He retained the favour of two later monarchs, Richard III and Henry VII, both of whom made him grants of land.House of Grey
The House of Grey is an ancient English noble family originating from Creully in Normandy. Its name, initially having been difficult to comprehend in the English language, was variously transliterated as Grey, Grai, Greye, Gray, etc.
In the Middle Ages, the Grey family was first ennobled as Barons Grey of Codnor, of Ruthyn and of Wilton (later being elevated as viscounts, earls, marquesses and dukes).Ironville
Ironville in Derbyshire, England, was built about 1830 by the Butterley Company as a "model village" to house its workers. The population of the civil parish was 1,851 at the 2011 Census. It is situated between Riddings and Codnor Park.
John Wright and William Jessop had purchased the land adjacent to the Cromford Canal from Lancelot Rolleston of Watnall in 1809.
The village was notable for its large gardens, and its rural setting. The Mechanics Institute was built in 1846; schools were provided in 1850 and a parish church in 1852.
The local authority demolished most of the old village in the late twentieth century.
Nearby is Pye Hill and the bend in the Cromford Canal where it turns southward down the Erewash Valley and the junction with its extension to Pinxton.
About a quarter of a mile north east is another transport landmark, Pye Bridge at the junction of the Erewash Valley railway line and the extension to Ambergate. Part of the line to Ambergate is now preserved as Midland Railway - Butterley, which terminates just south of the former Pye Bridge Station.
The History of Ironville & Codnor Park in a “nutshell”
Ironville is possibly Derbyshire’s best example of a mid-nineteenth century model village. The village itself was mainly created between 1834 and 1860 by the Butterley Company to house its iron workers. The model village won much national acclaim, with its large gardens, a rural setting well away from the ironworks and the overall spacious layout compared with other industrial villages. The physical and spiritual welfare of the employees of the Company was reflected not only in the provision of a church and a school by the Company, but also with the provision of a complete range of public services for the village. These included its own gas and water works, a Mechanics' Institute containing an artisans' library and swimming bath. Nearby, but still within the parish of Ironville is Codnor Park formally an ancient Deer Park. At the historically renowned Codnor Park Iron Works (demolished in the 1970’s and now landscaped and planted with native trees), cannonballs were made for Waterloo, armour plate was made for the very first iron-hulled warships such as The Warrior & The Black Prince (circa 1861). During World War II the works also produced sterns for 57 “Loch” class frigates, and 51 large bridges, each with a 150-foot span, which were used for crossing the Rhine and Italian rivers. In addition, the company manufactured tracks for Churchill and Cromwell tanks as well as many other important products for the war effort.
The first houses in Codnor Park actually built by the Butterley Company in 1802 for workers at the newly built Lime Works. The row of houses was originally called Measham Row (later Lime Kiln Row) and probably reflects where these workers came from. They would all have walked there or hitched a ride on barges passing along the canal system. This would also apply to all the workers who came to live there in the period 1834 to 1860. Many walked from Wales just to be employed there, not being able to afford train fares etc. Just imagine - a house and a job! They must have thought they were dreaming or heading for the land of plenty!
Just imagine what it was like to live in Ironville 100 years ago. A flourishing community:
The ironworks at Codnor Park formed part of the famous Butterley Company. During the 19th century the Company became a thriving success. In 1862 there were seven furnaces at Butterley and Codnor Park which produced one-fifth of the total output of iron in Derbyshire. Later in the 19th century the production of ironstone declined locally, but the Company still remained a major force in the iron industry. It was heavily involved in the expansion of the railway industry, by the manufacture of track and wagons at its foundry and engineering works, and the Butterley Company was famously used for the huge arched roof of St Pancras Station in London, one of the wonders of Victorian engineering. Throughout its history the Company was heavily involved with the production of bridges, heavy structural steelwork, mining equipment and machinery, presses, castings and overhead cranes.
The development of Codnor Park and Ironville is due to the formation of the Butterley Company and the opening of the Cromford Canal.
Before the Codnor Park iron works had been constructed, coal and iron stone had been mined in the area for hundreds of years. Records go back to the De Grey family having coal mines in the area in the fifteenth century. In 1599 Thomas Shorter married Elizabeth Bradway, in Heanor Parish Church. Thomas’s address was given as living “at Codnor Park by the Furnace.” Before Ironville Parish Church was constructed Codnor Park was an 'extra parochial liberty' referring to the fact that the area did not at that time come under any parish. Couples in those days had to travel as far as Heanor, Eastwood and Alfreton to get married. Codnor Park was once part of the Manor and Castle of Codnor and was mentioned in Domesday Book.
Close to the village is one of only two medieval castles retaining its original medieval architecture in the whole of the county of Derbyshire, (the only other being Peveril Castle in the Peak District). Codnor Castle has a very rich history and the castle site dates back to the 11th century. The castle was the home and power base for one of medieval England’s most powerful families for 300 years - the De Grey family, also known as the Baron's Grey of Codnor. This medieval fortress was once grand enough to play host to royal visits including that of King Edward II in 1342. The Castle is open to the Public every second Sunday of the month throughout the year.
When Channel 4’s Time Team visited they quite literally struck gold. Excavations at Codnor Castle in Derbyshire unearthed a gold coin which presenter Tony Robinson said was one of the most valuable single items ever found on Time Team. Their discoveries revealed far more than anyone ever expected. In the bottom of Codnor Castle’s moat they found a Gold Noble coin which dates back to the time of Henry V and the Battle of Agincourt. Their excavations also uncovered the remains of a massive round tower and one of the first drawbridges ever discovered in the programme’s 15 year history.
The village in the nineteenth century boasted its very own brewery, a pottery and a brick works. In the twentieth century there was for a time, an oil well producing 400 gallons of oil per day, (1921).
Near to the castle are two well-known local landmarks - the Jessop Memorial & Hall. The monument was built in 1854 by public subscription by Butterley workers as a monument to William Jessop II, son of the founder, who developed the company after the death of his father in 1814. The monument and grounds once upon a time proved to be a popular attraction for Galas, and Sunday school outings and picnics. Whit Monday Band of Hope Fetes were also held there, with local Bands marching through the villages before finally ending up at the monument. The Monument Hall in later years was used as a Rola-Rena.
The parishioners of Codnor Park and Ironville can claim to possess one of the most substantial and beautiful monuments to World War I in the county. The unveiling and dedication ceremony was held on 16th November 1923. The engraving and erection of the memorial was carried out by an ex-Service man, Mr. E. Cope, of Riddings. The foundation, which measures 8 feet by 7 feet 6 inches, was laid by the Butterley Company, also the paving from Christ Church’s gateway to the monument.
The village is set within excellent countryside surroundings with many wonderful signposted walks and benefits from being only ten minutes from the local town centres of Alfreton and Ripley.
Codnor Park Reservoir, built originally to top up the canal is a popular spot for walking and fishing, with good access for disabled anglers, also a haven for a variety of birdlife.
Less than two miles to the west of the reservoir is Swanwick Junction, part of the Midland Railway Trust which commemorates one of the major railway companies of its time. It has a superb collection of steam and diesel locomotives which may be seen powering trains on the line or on display in the museum. The Golden Valley Light Railway (GVLR) and Butterley Park Miniature Railway are based here too.John Poole (footballer, born 1892)
John Smith "Jack" Poole (1892–1967) was an English footballer who played for Sunderland and Bradford City, who later became a trainer of the latter. He was born in Codnor. After retiring from playing he had a lengthy spell as manager of Mansfield Town.Katherine Stourton, Baroness Grey of Codnor
Katherine Stourton, Baroness Grey of Codnor (c. 1455 – 1521) was an English noblewoman. Her life reflects the turbulence of English political life in the late fifteenth and early sixteenth centuries: her first husband was attainted for treason, and her third husband holds the record for the longest period of imprisonment in the Tower of London.Loscoe
Loscoe is a village near Heanor in Derbyshire, England, lying within the civil parish of Heanor and Loscoe. Denby Common and Codnor Breach are outlying hamlets on the western edge of the village.Richard Grey, 4th Baron Grey of Codnor
Richard Grey, 1st or 4th Baron Grey of Codnor KG (c. 1371 – 1 August 1418) was an English soldier and diplomat.Richard de Grey
Richard de Grey (died 1271) of Codnor, Derbyshire, was a landowner who held many important positions during the reign of Henry III of England, including Warden of the Isles (Channel Islands) 1226-1227, 1229-1230 and 1252-1254, and later both Constable of Dover Castle and Warden of the Cinque Ports from 1258 irregularly to 1264.St James' Church, Codnor
St James' Church, Codnor is a Church of England parish church in Codnor, Derbyshire.Streynsham Master
Sir Streynsham Master (28 October 1640 – 28 April 1724) was one of the 17th century pioneers of the English East India Company. He served as the Agent of Madras from 27 January 1678 to 3 July 1681 and is credited with having introduced the first administrative reforms in the Madras Government. .He banned sati and prohibited the burning of a Hindu widow in 1680 in what is the first official British response to sati. He made English the sole official language and language of court in Madras Presidency replacing
Portuguese,Tamil and Malayalam languages.Returning to England, in 1692 he bought the Codnor Castle estate and for the rest of his life divided his time between Derbyshire and London.