Corra Linn above New Lanark
|Length||65 km (40 mi)|
|Designation||Scotland's Great Trails|
|Trailheads||Partick station, Glasgow |
Bonnington Linn, New Lanark
|Elevation gain/loss||720 metres (2,360 ft) gain|
The Clyde Walkway is a foot and mountain bike path which runs from Glasgow, Scotland, to just above the UNESCO World Heritage site of New Lanark. The path runs close to the River Clyde for most of its length. It was completed in 2005, and is now designated as one of Scotland's Great Trails by Scottish Natural Heritage. The route is 65 kilometres (40 mi) long, and combines rural sections on the upper Clyde in South Lanarkshire, including the Clyde Valley Woodlands National Nature Reserve and the Falls of Clyde, with urban walking through the centre of Glasgow. About 155,000 people use the path every year, of whom about 7,750 undertake multi-day journeys (including those covering the entire route).
This section, which is 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) long, starts at Partick station (which is on a line from Glasgow Central station) and proceeds on the north bank of the River Clyde to Cambuslang Bridge. The bridge is a short distance from Cambuslang railway station. The path passes by a number of other long distance paths, including the Glasgow to Inverness National Cycle Route, the Kelvin Walkway and paths to Edinburgh, Irvine and Greenock. The path passes a number of sites of interest.
For most of this section the path stays close to the River Clyde. It passes Bothwell Castle, David Livingstone Centre, the remains of Craighead Viaduct and Raith Haugh Nature Reserve. This section of the path ends at the Watersports Centre in Strathclyde Country Park. The nearest railway station is approximately 1 mile (1.6 km) away at Motherwell on both the West Coast Main Line and Argyle Line. This section is 14 kilometres (8.7 mi) in length.
This section, which is 14 kilometres (8.7 mi) long, follows the north bank of the River Clyde (apart from a short section at the end) through open country. It passes the Avon Walkway which can be followed to Chatelherault Country Park. The section ends at Cardies Bride which is 5.1 kilometres (3.2 mi) from the closest train station at Wishaw.
This 10 km (6.2 mi) section runs through attractive open countryside. This part of the Clyde Valley was famous for its orchards and greenhouses. Many remain, though few of the orchards are still in commercial production. The path passes the well preserved 16th century Craignethan Castle. This section ends at the village of Crossford. There are bus services to Lanark, and to Hamilton. The nearest railway station is approximately 5.6 kilometres (3.5 mi) away, uphill at Carluke.
This section, which is 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) long, is arguably the most attractive section of the path. The path proceeds through open country along the banks of the River Clyde. It first passes Stonybyres Hydroelectric Station. This was built in 1927. The falls here are 21 metres high and migrating salmon and sea trout cannot get any higher up the river. After passing Lanark (founded 1180) the path enters the UNESCO World Heritage village of New Lanark. The village and mills were built in the 18th century to harness the power of the River Clyde to process cotton. It is now a restored industrial village in a rural setting. Beyond the village the path enters the Falls of Clyde Nature Reserve and passes the Bonnington Hydroelectric Station, and the remaining three Falls of Clyde. The most spectacular of these is the 28-metre-high Corra Linn.
The path ends in open countryside at the top fall, Bonnington Linn, where there is a dam to divert water to the power station. Lanark railway station is approximately 1.5 miles (2.4 km) from New Lanark. The station is one of the termini of the Argyle Line.
The A749 road connects East Kilbride with Glasgow City Centre.Auchenshuggle Bridge
Auchenshuggle Bridge (Achadh an t-Seagail - "the rye field" - in Gaelic) is a road bridge spanning the River Clyde in Glasgow, Scotland. The Auchenshuggle Bridge is the latest bridge to be built over the Clyde in the Auchenshuggle district of Glasgow, carrying the M74 motorway over the river and onto land which is part of Clydebridge Steelworks in Rutherglen, en route to the M8 junction near the heavily congested Kingston Bridge.Bothwell Bridge Lido
Bothwell Bridge Lido is a lido on the south-west side of Bothwell Bridge in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, Scotland.
The lido is unique with the water being the River Clyde. It also has Victorian-style gardens named "Lido Gardens". This is easiest to see from the Clyde Walkway and NCR 74.Carmyle
Carmyle (Scottish Gaelic: An Càrn Maol) is a suburb in the east end of Glasgow, north of the River Clyde.Cuningar Loop
The Cuningar Loop is a meander on the River Clyde at Dalmarnock in the Scottish city of Glasgow. The territory in the loop is actually part of the town of Rutherglen.
The first Glasgow Water Company's Act was obtained in 1806, and the company began to supply water early in 1809. Before the Victorian Loch Katrine aqueduct project was completed in the 1850s, it supplied water to Glasgow. Cuningar Loop was the location of several reservoirs that raised water from the Clyde and pumped it to a secondary reservoir at Sydney Street, from where it was distributed throughout the city. The Dalmarnock reservoirs were originally designed under the direction of Thomas Telford and James Watt.
The derelict site has now been transformed into a country park, augmenting the 2014 Commonwealth Games village across the river. The site features boulders for rock climbing, riverside boardwalks, a BMX track, a playpark for children including a 'flying fox' and a common green area capable of hosting events.Dalmarnock
Dalmarnock (, Scottish Gaelic: Dail Mheàrnaig) is a district in the Scottish city of Glasgow. It is situated north of the River Clyde opposite the town of Rutherglen. It is bounded by the Clyde to the south and east, Parkhead & Celtic F.C. to the north, and Bridgeton at Dunn Street to the north west. The area covers part of a loop in the River Clyde called the Cuningar Loop (known locally as 'The Vallies').Falls of Clyde (waterfalls)
The Falls of Clyde is the collective name of four linn (Scots: waterfalls) on the River Clyde near New Lanark, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. The Falls of Clyde comprise the upper falls of Bonnington Linn, Corra Linn, Dundaff Linn, and the lower falls of Stonebyres Linn. Corra Linn is the highest, with a fall of 26 metres (84 ft). Bonnington Linn (fall of 9 metres or 30 feet), Corra Linn and Dundaff Linn (fall of 3 metres or 10 feet) are above New Lanark and located within the Falls of Clyde Reserve managed by the Scottish Wildlife Trust, a national nature conservation charity. Stonebyres Linn is located several miles downstream from the reserve and New Lanark.Glasgow Green
Glasgow Green is a park in the east end of Glasgow, Scotland, on the north bank of the River Clyde. Established in the 15th century, it is the oldest park in the city.International Financial Services District
The International Financial Services District (IFSD) is a ten-year public-private project in Glasgow, Scotland. Based at Scottish Enterprise, the £1 billion venture aims to create an attractive inward investment location for leading international financial services companies and a re-location option for existing Glasgow-based companies, seeking to expand their operations.Isabella Elder
Isabella Ure Elder
(1828–1905) was a British philanthropist who took a particular interest in education, especially of women, and in the welfare of the people of Govan, site of her husband's shipbuilding yard.National Cycle Route 75
National Cycle Route 75 runs from Edinburgh to Gourock via Glasgow. It is often known as the Clyde to Forth cycle route.
It then extends via the ferry from Gourock to Dunoon onto the Cowal peninsula to Portavadie from where another ferry connects on to the Kintyre peninsulaNew Lanark
New Lanark is a village on the River Clyde, approximately 1.4 miles (2.2 kilometres) from Lanark, in Lanarkshire, and some 25 miles (40 km) southeast of Glasgow, Scotland. It was founded in 1786 by David Dale, who built cotton mills and housing for the mill workers. Dale built the mills there in a brief partnership with the English inventor and entrepreneur Richard Arkwright to take advantage of the water power provided by the only waterfalls on the River Clyde. Under the ownership of a partnership that included Dale's son-in-law, Robert Owen, a Welsh philanthropist and social reformer, New Lanark became a successful business and an early example of a planned settlement and so an important milestone in the historical development of urban planning.The New Lanark mills operated until 1968. After a period of decline, the New Lanark Conservation Trust (NLCT) was founded in 1974 (now known as the New Lanark Trust (NLT)) to prevent demolition of the village. By 2006 most of the buildings have been restored and the village has become a major tourist attraction. It is one of six UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Scotland and an Anchor Point of ERIH - the European Route of Industrial Heritage.Newton, South Lanarkshire
Newton is a mainly residential district in the town of Cambuslang in Scotland. It is situated south of the River Clyde; the river directly borders the district to the north. Newton is within the Cambuslang East ward of the South Lanarkshire Council area.The name is familiar to many in the Greater Glasgow area as a terminus on the suburban rail system (Newton railway station). The railway lines form the southern boundary of the area, while to the west Newton is separated from the neighbouring village of Westburn by the small Newton Burn, and to the east it is separated from farmland belonging to the town of Blantyre by the Rotten Calder river which flows into the Clyde.River Clyde
The River Clyde (Scottish Gaelic: Abhainn Chluaidh, pronounced [ˈavɪɲ ˈxl̪ˠuəj], Scots: Clyde Watter, or Watter o Clyde) is a river that flows into the Firth of Clyde in Scotland. It is the eighth-longest river in the United Kingdom, and the second-longest in Scotland. Traveling through the major city of Glasgow, it was an important river for shipbuilding and trade in the British Empire. To the Romans, it was Clota, and in the early medieval Cumbric language, it was known as Clud or Clut, and was central to the Kingdom of Strathclyde (Teyrnas Ystrad Clut).Rotten Calder
The Rotten Calder is a river to the east of East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire, Scotland and along with the Rotten Burn it forms the southern and western boundaries of Blantyre.
It begins as the Calder Water at its source at Ardochrig, and is joined by the Cleughearn, Lea and Drumloch Burns around Langlands Moss which drain from the Eldrig Hills. This river has also been titled the 'West' or 'South Calder Water', although the latter title is shared by another river in Motherwell. Upon being joined by the Rotten Burn to the south-east of East Kilbride, the river becomes the Rotten Calder Water. 'Water' is a term used in Scotland to denote a small river.
The Rotten Calder runs through a romantic scenic gorge titled Calderglen, where it flows through East Kilbride Parish. This area of the gorge is under the jurisdiction of Calderglen Country Park, run by South Lanarkshire Council. Over 160 nature trails border the river on both banks, in addition to the forest which occupies the slopes, and ferns, mosses and liverworts on the rocky precipices. Otter, roe deer and European green woodpecker can be seen in the southern reaches of the park. Buzzards can be seen hunting over open areas by the river and the grey heron, grey wagtail and dipper are common sights too. The river flows by the site of the former Calderwood Castle (demolished 1947-1951).
The gorge of the Rotten Calder Water was celebrated in books and poems for its romantic grandeur and lush ivy-tied crags. Many traces of 18th- and 19th-century landscape additions can be traced in the park, as well as old mines, quarries, and religious sites. After passing under the General's Bridge at Stoneymeadow, the Water flows by Crossbasket Castle (House) in an easterly direction, and on through the former estates of Greenhall and Milheugh where the valley is seen to give way to wide flood plains.
After Milheugh the river again regains its steep gorge and flows through scenery before flowing into the River Clyde near Bothwell Castle. There are many waterfalls on the river, these are Millwell Linn, Flatt Linn (Crutherland Linn), Torrance Linn (Fairy Linn or Walk Fort Linn), Black Linn, Trough Linn, Calderwood Linn (Castle Falls), Crossbasket Linn, Horseshoe Falls, Old Horseshoe Linn, Small Falls, and Milheugh Falls.
East Kilbride Angling Club have the fishing rights and stock the river with brown trout each year. Permits are available from Lightbody Quality Butchers of Murray Square, East Kilbride.
The river flows via the north side of Blantyre and forms the eastern boundary of the Newton district of Cambuslang before joining the River Clyde opposite Daldowie.
The valley of the Rotten Calder includes hermitages, islets, caves, crannies, ancient markings, fountains, fairy wells, numerous waterfalls, over 200 nature trails, summerhouses, ruined castles, and steep cliffs.Rutherglen Bridge
The Rutherglen Bridge or the Shawfield Bridge is a bridge which was built 1893-96, which crosses the River Clyde, in Scotland.It connects Shawfield, the most northerly district in the town of Rutherglen, and the south-side Glasgow district of Oatlands, with the Glasgow East End districts of Dalmarnock, Glasgow Green and Bridgeton. Bridgeton is in fact named after the first bridge at the site that was constructed in 1776 and designed by James Watt, which stood until 1890.The road is part of the Glasgow East End Regeneration Route running between the M8 and M74 motorways. The Glasgow side of the bridge is a convenient point for walkers and cyclists to join the Clyde Walkway or National Cycle Route 75 which share a tarmac path along the river at this point.
It should not be confused with the nearby Dalmarnock Bridge which also connects Rutherglen to Dalmarnock, nor with a modern pedestrian 'Smartbridge' between Shawfield and Dalmarnock.Strathclyde Country Park
Strathclyde Country Park is a country park located in Lanarkshire, Scotland.
The park covers some 4 km2 (1.5 sq mi), centred on the artificial Strathclyde Loch. It is located next to the River Clyde between Hamilton and Motherwell. Strathclyde Park forms what used to be known as the Low parks of the now demolished Hamilton Palace and still includes buildings associated with the palace. When the loch was created in the early 1970s it involved the flooding of the old mining village of Bothwellhaugh. The park offers many amenities and attractions such as coarse angling, woodland walks, watersports, and a camping and caravanning site. One of Scotland's theme parks, M&D's, is located in the park. Until 1996, the music festival T in the Park was held here.
The west side of the park is bounded by the River Clyde, which was diverted when the loch was built in 1975. The original course can be seen between the east loch shore and the island. Across the Clyde is the M74 motorway, which creates a significant level of noise. The east side of the park is quieter, with woodland and paths leading up the slopes to Motherwell.
The remains of Bothwellhaugh Roman Fort and a Roman bathhouse can be seen in the park, where the South Calder Water flows into the loch. There is an arched Roman bridge across the South Calder nearby. The site of the Battle of Bothwell Bridge (1679) is to the north west of the park.
Although the focus of the park is on recreation, a variety of habitats are present, including wetlands and native woodland.
The Greenlink Cycle Path start-off point is located in the park and travels to Motherwell Town Centre. Also, a section of the Clyde walkway, from Glasgow to New Lanark, runs through the park.Uddingston
Uddingston (Scots: Uddinstoun, Scottish Gaelic: Baile Udain) is a small town in South Lanarkshire, Scotland. It is on the north side of the River Clyde, about 7 miles (11 km) south-east of Glasgow city centre. Uddingston acts as a dormitory suburb for the city.Westburn, South Lanarkshire
Westburn is a district of the town of Cambuslang in South Lanarkshire, Scotland. It was formerly home to a steel works and power station which were the area’s major employers; the sites are now occupied by a housing development and modern industrial estate respectively. Administratively, Westburn is within the Cambuslang East ward of the South Lanarkshire Council area and has a population of around 2,000.
(England and Wales)
|Scotland's Great Trails|