The Cincinnatian was a named passenger train operated by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O). The B&O inaugurated service on January 19, 1947, with service between Baltimore, Maryland and Cincinnati, Ohio, essentially a truncated route of the National Limited which operated between Jersey City, New Jersey and St. Louis. This route was unsuccessful due to the thin population along the line, and the route was changed on June 25, 1950 from a Baltimore-Cincinnati daylight schedule to a Detroit-Cincinnati daylight schedule where it would remain until the creation of Amtrak. On this new routing, the train sets became successful almost from the beginning. The Cincinnatian on this route used many mail cars, which contributed to the route's success.
The streamlined steam Cincinnatian in 1956.
|First service||January 19, 1947|
|Last service||April 30, 1971|
|Former operator(s)||Baltimore and Ohio Railroad|
|Start||Detroit, Michigan (1950-1971)|
|Stops||14 (incl. Toledo, Lima, Dayton) (1950-1971)|
|End||Cincinnati, Ohio (1950-1971)|
|Average journey time||6 hours, 35 minutes (southbound and northbound)|
|Train number(s)||53: southbound|
The Cincinnatian is most famed for its original dedicated equipment, rebuilt in the B&O Mount Clare Shops. The design work was done by Olive Dennis, a pioneering civil engineer employed by the railroad and appointed by Daniel Willard to special position in charge of such work for passenger service. Four P-7 "president" class Pacific locomotives (5301-5304) were rebuilt and shrouded as class P-7d, with roller bearings on all axles and larger six-axle tenders. Older heavyweight passenger cars were completely stripped and rebuilt as streamliners. The livery used the blue and gray scheme designed by Otto Kuhler, which Dennis laid on the engine and tender in a pattern of horizontal stripes and angled lines.
In 1970 and 1971, the Cincinnatian was the only B&O train on the Cincinnati-Detroit route. The trains no longer offered checked baggage, as passengers had to carry their own luggage on and off the coaches. Service ended on April 30, 1971. When Amtrak took over service on May 1, 1971, it did not continue operating any of B&O's remaining passenger routes.
The original 1947 Cincinnatian consisted of rebuilt heavyweight cars:
There were stewardess' rooms in the Oakley and Norwood. Two 52-seat coaches, the Avondale (#3574) and Price Hill (#3575), replaced the College Hill and Walnut Hill.