Chisworth is a hamlet near Glossop, Derbyshire, England. It is located 3 miles south-west of Glossop's town centre, on the south side of the Etherow valley. The parish of Chisworth was formed in 1896, out of the parish of Chisworth and Ludworth. In 1901, it had a population of 409. From 1896 until 1934 it was in the Glossop Rural District, when it was placed with Ludworth into the Chapel en le Frith Rural District. The village possesses a Methodist chapel. The A626 road passed through the hamlet. In June 1930, a local cloud burst caused flooding which killed one man and destroyed equipment at the mills, one of which never reopened.
Chisworth parish highlighted within Derbyshire
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
Kinderlee Mill made yarn thread and baut (string) and was owned by J.H.Ratcliffe, who later sold it to the Rowbottoms. In 1930 it was damaged by a flood and the mill went bankrupt during the slump and was sold to Jacksons of Bradford, who used it to weave belting. In 2008 the mill was converted to residential use and newly built town houses were on the market the following year.
Holehouse Mill made rope and twine. It was owned by the Rowbottoms. In 1929 it suffered two fires within six months.
Chew Wood Mill was built in 1795, it was powered by water taken from the overflow from the Alma Coal Pit. It was managed by the Rowbottom family for 99 years. It was originally a carding and scrubbing mill for wool employing 14 children and women. It was used in the Boer War (1899–1902) to dye Khaki cloth for uniforms. It was flooded in June 1930 and subsequently closed and was demolished.
Known as the Bone Mill it burnt down in 1917, it was rebuilt but never worked.
The Alma Coal Pit was at the junction of Sandy & Sanders Lane, the loading bay was at the wide paved part of the road and a small brick building opposite was the weighing machine box. This pit closed towards the end of the last century when they struck an underground stream & was flooded. It was a deep pit employing a lot of miners, the winding shaft was 120 yds deep and is now capped. The stream runs down a tunnel opposite Sandy Lane Farm. During the coal strike of 1921, the local men and those from Glossop had some success in digging for coal in Chew Woods.
There is some open cast workings at Mount View. This is documented in a book "Ludworth Moor Colliery" by Geoffrey du Feu and Roderick Thackray.
The A624 road is a trunk road in the English county of Derbyshire. It connects Glossop to Chapel-en-le-Frith passing through Chunal, Hayfield, and New Smithy.Ashopton
Ashopton was a small village in Derbyshire, England, in the vale of the River Ashop. The village population was less than 100. Details are included in the civil parish of Aston, Derbyshire. In the early 1940s, the village (along with neighbouring Derwent) was demolished to make way for the filling of Ladybower Reservoir.Buxton F.C.
Buxton Football Club is a football club based in Buxton, Derbyshire, England. They are currently members of the Northern Premier League Premier Division and play at the Silverlands.Charlesworth, Derbyshire
Charlesworth is a village and civil parish near Glossop, Derbyshire, England. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 Census was 2,449. It is 2 miles (3.2 km) south-west of Glossop town centre and close to the borders of Greater Manchester with the nearby village of Broadbottom in Tameside. The parish church of St John the Baptist was built in 1848–49. The Congregational Chapel was rebuilt from an earlier chapel in 1797. Broadbottom Bridge, one end of which is in Cheshire, was built in 1683. Charlesworth holds an annual carnival on the second Saturday in July on its recreation ground on Marple Road, which includes fell races and other events.
The village is at the foot of the "Monks' Road", which was used by the monks of Basingwerk Abbey in North Wales. At the top of the road is the Abbot's Chair, the base of a monastic cross also known as the Charlesworth Cross.Crowden, Derbyshire
Crowden (also known as Crowden-in-Longdendale) is a hamlet in the High Peak borough of Derbyshire, England. Historically a part of Cheshire, Crowden was incorporated into Derbyshire for administrative and ceremonial purposes in 1974, and is now Derbyshire's most northerly settlement. It lies in the Longdendale valley, 5.8 miles (9.3 km) northeast of Glossop and 5.7 miles (9.2 km) southwest of Holme in West Yorkshire.
It lies on the trans-Pennine A628 road connecting Greater Manchester and South Yorkshire. It also lies very close to the Pennine Way long distance footpath (on which it is traditionally the first-night stop after Edale) and includes a youth hostel. The Torside Reservoir is to the south of Crowden. An army rifle range was situated at Crowden in the 1950s and 1960s.
The hamlet was previously served by Crowden railway station on the Woodhead Line between the cities of Manchester and Sheffield, but the station closed on 4 February 1957.Gamesley
Gamesley is a residential area within the Borough of High Peak
in Derbyshire, England, west of Glossop and close to the River Etherow which forms the boundary with Tameside in Greater Manchester. Gamesley is a ward of the High Peak Borough Council. It had a population of 2,531 at the 2011 Census.Glossop
Glossop is a market town in the High Peak, Derbyshire, England, about 15 miles (24 km) east of Manchester, 24 miles (39 km) west of Sheffield and 32 miles (51 km) north of the county town, Matlock. Glossop is near Derbyshire's county borders with Cheshire, Greater Manchester, South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire. It is between 150 and 300 metres (492 and 984 ft) above mean sea level, and lies just outside the Peak District National Park.
Historically, the name Glossop refers to the small hamlet that gave its name to an ancient parish recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, and then the manor given by William I of England to William Peverel. A municipal borough was created in 1866, and the unparished urban area within two local government wards. The area now known as Glossop approximates to the villages that used to be called Glossopdale, on the lands of the Duke of Norfolk. Originally a centre of wool processing, Glossop rapidly expanded in the late 18th century when it specialised in the production and printing of calico, a coarse cotton, and became a mill town with many chapels and churches, its fortunes tied to the cotton industry.
Architecturally, the area is dominated by buildings constructed of the local sandstone. There remain two significant former cotton mills and the Dinting railway viaduct. Glossop has transport links to Manchester, making the area popular for commuters.High Peak, Derbyshire
High Peak is a borough in Derbyshire, England. Administered by High Peak Borough Council from Buxton and Glossop, it is mostly composed of high moorland plateau in the Dark Peak area of the Peak District National Park. The district stretches from Holme Moss in the north to Sterndale Moor in the south and from Hague Bar in the west to Bamford in the east. The population of the borough taken at the 2011 Census was 90,892.High Peak was the name of a hundred of the ancient county of Derbyshire covering roughly the same area as the current district. It may have derived its name from the ancient Forest of High Peak a royal hunting reserve, administered by William Peverel, a favourite of William I, who was based at Peak Castle. High Peak contains much of the Peak District National Park.
The district contains the highest point in both Derbyshire and the East Midlands, Kinder Scout, which stands at 636m (2,087 ft) above sea level.List of places in Derbyshire
Map of places in Derbyshire compiled from this listThis is a list of places in Derbyshire, England.Marple Bridge
Marple Bridge is a village in the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport, Greater Manchester, England, on the River Goyt, which runs through the centre of the village, close to Marple.
Historically part of the civil parish of Glossop, Derbyshire, it was included in the new parish of Ludworth and Chisworth in 1866. Ludworth became a separate parish in 1896, and was abolished in 1936, when the former parish was transferred to Cheshire and amalgamated into Marple Urban District. In 1974, the urban district was abolished and Marple Bridge became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport in the county of Greater Manchester. It shares borders with Mellor, Marple, Compstall, New Mills, Strines, Mill Brow and Chisworth. It is in the ecclesiastical parish of Mellor; the parish church of St. Thomas stands several hundred feet higher than the village, overlooking Greater Manchester and Cheshire.Peak Dale
Peak Dale is a small village in Derbyshire, England. It is located between Dove Holes and Buxton, between 2 quarries one located close to Dove Holes and one to the bottom end of the village. The population falls in the civil parish of Wormhill.
The village used to house quarry workers and their families, but some of the original houses have now been demolished. The village has a club (Great Rocks Club), a playground, and a primary school, which are all used frequently by residents of the village.
Great Rocks Dale lies immediately south of the village.River Goyt
The River Goyt is a river in North West England. It is one of the tributaries of the River Mersey.River Kinder
The River Kinder is a small river, only about 3 miles (4.8 km) long, in northwestern Derbyshire, England. Rising on the peat moorland plateau of Kinder Scout, it flows generally westwards to its confluence with the River Sett at Bowden Bridge (a Grade II listed packhorse bridge). En route it flows through the Kinder Gates rocks, over the waterfall known as Kinder Downfall, and through Kinder Reservoir, built in 1903–12 by the Stockport Corporation Water Works. Until the 19th century at least, the name was formerly also applied to the River Sett as far as its confluence with the River Goyt in New Mills.River Noe
The River Noe is a tributary of the River Derwent in Derbyshire, England. It flows approximately 12 miles (19 km) from its source, the confluence of two streams running off Kinder Scout in the Peak District, east through Edale and then southeast through the village of Hope.
The river flows into the River Derwent a kilometre south of Bamford. The entire length of the river is closely followed by the Hope Valley (Manchester to Sheffield) railway line.
The portion of the river downstream of Hope, along with the valley of the River Noe's main tributary, Peakshole Water, is known as the Hope Valley.Like many rivers in Derbyshire, the Noe was used historically to power water mills, originally these were mainly corn mills but during the industrial revolution some were rebuilt for other uses.
One example of this was the cotton mill at Edale; built in the late 18th century it shares a common design with other mills of the period, including multiple floors with large windows and a shallow pitched roof. There was also a corn and saw mill at Hope, driven by an 11 ft water wheel.At Brough there were a number of mills that used the Noe, including a lace-thread doubling mill, a cotton mill and the corn mill (pictured). The corn mill is notable in that water powered milling came to an end in 1954, when the flow of the Noe was reduced by the upstream diversion scheme. This was constructed to provide additional inflows for Ladybower Reservoir by the Derwent Valley Water Board.River Sett
The River Sett is a river that flows through the High Peak borough of Derbyshire, in north western England. It rises near Edale Cross on Kinder Scout and flows through the villages of Hayfield and Birch Vale to join the River Goyt at New Mills. The River Goyt is one of the principal tributaries of the River Mersey. In the past, the river was known as the River Kinder; the modern River Kinder is a right tributary of the Sett, joining the river at Bowden Bridge above Hayfield.The 2.5-mile Sett Valley Trail follows the trackbed of the former railway line along the valley between Hayfield and New Mills.Rowarth
Rowarth is a hamlet about 2.5 miles (4 km) north of New Mills in the High Peak borough of Derbyshire, England. It is on the edge of the Peak District, in the hills between New Mills and Marple Bridge. It is within the parish boundary of the former town.It is locally famous for the Little Mill Inn, a pub and restaurant in a former candlewick mill, with a waterwheel in the adjacent stream. The Little Mill has a retired Brighton Belle Pullman railway coach which is used as guest accommodation.Simmondley
Simmondley is a small village near the town of Glossop in Derbyshire, England. The population of the High Peak ward at the 2011 Census was 4,727. It has one pub, the Hare and Hounds, in the south of the village at the top of Simmondley Lane. The pub is a part of the original farming community with the adjacent farmhouse, barn and stables converted into houses. The Jubilee pub was built in 1977, in celebration of the Silver Jubilee of Elizabeth II. After 40 years, the brewery that owned the Jubilee sold it at auction; the buyer demolished the building in 2017 to build houses on the site and adjoining car park.
In August 1981 the Sorgro convenience store opened on Pennine Road. In recent years this has been a Spar, an Alldays and is currently The Co-operative Food. There is a post office, a Chinese takeaway, a dentist, a doctor, a chemist, two hairdressers, a pre-school and a primary school with over 300 pupils.Many large housing projects have recently been completed in Simmondley, including a large housing estate off Valley Road that stretches towards the existing Manchester rail line.
Simmondley has a number of public areas including: a children's play park area with swings and a centre climbing frame; an enclosed games court called the S.M.U.G.A (Simmondley Multi Use Games Area) with football nets and basketball hoops with flood lighting; open grassland around the estate mainly surrounding the Werneth Road area; a village green to the top of Simmondley with a public phone box, post box, plant pots and seating (during the Christmas period this is the location of the Simmondley Christmas Tree).
The housing developments south of the village have led to it being considered by some as a suburb of Glossop, rather than a separate settlement as it is contiguous with Glossop, although in recent years the local council has installed Simmondley signs at accesses to the village to mark that it has its own separate identity.
Simmondley is at the bottom of the so-called Monks' Road, a road used by the monks of Basingwerk Abbey to administer the abbey's estate. It leads to Charlesworth, Chisworth and Hayfield.Sparrowpit
Sparrowpit is a small village between Chapel-en-le-Frith and Peak Forest in the High Peak area of the Peak District, Derbyshire, England.
The name is derived from 'spar row pit' from the fluorspar mines.
The village has an active community, including a methodist chapel and village hall.
It is situated at a crossroads where the main road (A623) takes a right-angled bend at the Wanted Inn. From this junction, one minor road takes a different and hillier route to Chapel-en-le-Frith, and another heads for Mam Tor and Castleton by way of the Winnats Pass.
The watershed between rivers running east into the North Sea and west into the Irish Sea runs almost exactly through the village.Tintwistle
Tintwistle is a village and civil parish in the High Peak district of the non-metropolitan county of Derbyshire, England. According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 1,401, reducing marginally to 1,400 and including Arnfield at the 2011 Census. The village is just north of Glossop at the lower end of Longdendale Valley. Tintwistle, like nearby Crowden and Woodhead, lies within the historic county boundaries of Cheshire.
Borough of High Peak