Chisbury is a hamlet and prehistoric hill fort in the civil parish of Little Bedwyn in Wiltshire, England. Chisbury is about 4 miles (6 km) west of Hungerford and about 6 miles (10 km) south-east of Marlborough.
St. Martin's Chapel
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Dorset and Wiltshire|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
At 176 metres (577 ft) above sea level, Chisbury hillfort is the highest point in Little Bedwyn parish and encloses an area of about 14 acres (5.7 ha). Palaeolithic, Neolithic and Bronze Age artefacts have been found in the area, but the hillfort was most probably built in the late Iron Age in the 1st century AD. The hillfort was re-used in the Anglo-Saxon times as a burh, cited in the Burghal Hidage document which lists the fortifications of Wessex from that time.
St. Martin's chapel, on the eastern edge of the hillfort, seems to have been built in the early part of the 13th century. There are written records of it from 1246 onwards and its surviving architecture is contemporary with that period. The windows have the remains of good-quality tracery in a style that suggests they were made in the latter part of the 13th century. Between 1496 and 1518 St. Martin's lacked a priest, but it was served again from 1518 until 1547. Thereafter St. Martin's lapsed from use for worship and was turned into a barn. It was re-roofed in the 19th century but in 1998 its condition was semi-ruinous. The hillfort and chapel were designated as a scheduled ancient monument in 1925.
Chisbury Manor farmhouse, also within the hillfort site, is a two-storey brick building from the mid 18th century.
Knowle Farm, about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) northwest of Chisbury, has a 14th-century chapel which is now an outbuilding of the farmhouse. A blocked ogee-headed north window and the surround of the east window are the only surviving features. The farmhouse is a brick-built Georgian house of five bays dated 1735.
Media related to Chisbury at Wikimedia CommonsBerrow Green
Berrow Green is a village in Worcestershire, England.Capler Camp
Capler Camp is an Iron Age hill fort located 2.5 km south of Fownhope, Herefordshire.
The Camp is on a hill top above the River Wye. It has a double layer of ditches enclosing ten acres.Cissa (West Saxon)
Cissa was reported as the viceroy of king Centwine of Wessex (reigned c.676-686). Cissa is sometimes said to have himself been a king of Wessex, but does not feature in the king lists or genealogies. He is said to have constructed Chisbury Camp, and to have founded Abingdon Abbey.Croft Ambrey
Croft Ambrey is a British Iron Age hill fort in northern Herefordshire, 10 kilometres (6 mi) north of Leominster close to the present day county border with South Shropshire.Dinedor Camp
Dinedor Camp is a Hill fort on Dinedor Hill, Dinedor, near Hereford in England.
Archaeological excavations have found material ranging from 1700 BCE to 1100 CE.Eldersfield
Eldersfield is a village and civil parish in the Malvern Hills district of Worcestershire, England. It stands exactly ten miles east of Ledbury and ten miles north of Gloucester; this fact can be found on a milestone on the side of the B4211 road that runs through Corse Lawn. The parish church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist and is in the Diocese of Worcester. The parish registers survive from 1718, and there are bishops' transcripts for the earlier registers starting in 1561.Flower's Barrow
Flower’s Barrow is an Iron Age hillfort, built over 2500 years ago, above Worbarrow Bay in Dorset on the south coast of England.Grimsbury Castle
Grimsbury Castle is an Iron Age "multiple enclosure" Hill Fort comprising a large circular encampment situated on a high hill. It is situated within Grimsbury Wood to the between Cold Ash and Hermitage, in the county of Berkshire.Hascombe Hill
Hascombe Hill or Hascombe Camp is the site of an Iron Age multivallate hill fort close to the village of Hascombe in Surrey, England.Holkham Camp
Holkham Camp, or Holkham Fort, is an Iron Age fort in Norfolk, England, about 1 mile (1.6 km) north-west of the village of Holkham.Ivington Camp
Ivington Camp is an Iron Age hill fort located at Brierley, 3 km south of Leominster, Herefordshire.List of places in Wiltshire
Map of places in Wiltshire compiled from this list
This is a list of cities, towns and villages in the ceremonial county of Wiltshire, England.Little Bedwyn
Little Bedwyn (also spelt Little Bedwin, and sometimes called Bedwyn Parva) is a village and civil parish on the River Dun in Wiltshire, England, about 3 miles (4.8 km) south-west of the market town of Hungerford in neighbouring Berkshire. The parish includes the hamlet of Chisbury.
The Kennet and Avon Canal and the Reading to Taunton railway line follow the Dun and pass through the village. Little Bedwyn is served by Bedwyn railway station, which is about 1 mile (1.6 km) south-west of the village at Great Bedwyn.Overbury
Overbury is a village and civil parish in Worcestershire, England, midway between Evesham and Tewkesbury south of Bredon Hill.
The manor of Overbury was purchased by the banking family of Martin in the 18th century from the Parsons family, members of whom also owned neighbouring Kemerton Court. The Martins rebuilt Overbury Court in c.1740, and it is still occupied by their descendants in 2018.
In 2014, Roman skeletons were found at Overbury Primary School when extensions to the school were being built.Padderbury Top
Padderbury Top is a hillfort about 2 miles (3.2 km) south-east of Menheniot, in Cornwall, England, named after the hill on which it is situated.
It has been a scheduled monument since 17 March 1977.Poston Camp
Poston Camp is an Iron Age hill fort located just south of Vowchurch, Herefordshire.St Martin's Chapel, Chisbury
St Martin's Chapel, Chisbury is a mediaeval former chapel next to the manor house in the hamlet of Chisbury, Wiltshire, England.
St Martin's was built in the early part of the 13th century, on the edge of Chisbury Camp, an Iron Age hillfort. There are written records of it from 1246 onwards and its surviving architecture is contemporary with that period. The walls are faced with flint. The windows have the remains of good-quality Decorated Gothic tracery that suggests they were added in the latter part of the 13th century.Between 1496 and 1518 St. Martin's lacked a priest, but it was served again from then until 1547. Thereafter St. Martin's lapsed from use for worship and was re-used as a barn. It was re-roofed with thatch in the 19th century.
The hillfort, including the chapel, was designated as a scheduled ancient monument in 1925. The chapel is in the guardianship of English Heritage.Wapley Hill
Wapley Hill is an Iron Age hill fort located in Herefordshire, England, 3 km south-east of Presteigne.Woolbury
Woolbury, or Woolbury Ring, is the site of an Iron Age univallate hill fort on Stockbridge Down, Hampshire, England.