Chichester shown within West Sussex
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Region||South East England|
|Non-metropolitan county||West Sussex|
|Incorporated||1 April 1974|
|• Type||Non-metropolitan district council|
|• Body||Chichester District Council|
|• Leadership||Leader & Cabinet (Conservative)|
|• MPs||Nick Herbert|
|• Total||303.60 sq mi (786.32 km2)|
|Area rank||48th (of 317)|
|• Rank||192nd (of 317)|
|• Density||400/sq mi (150/km2)|
|• Ethnicity||98.4% White|
|Time zone||UTC0 (GMT)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+1 (BST)|
The district was formed on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, as a merger of the municipal borough (city) of Chichester and the Rural Districts of Midhurst, Petworth and part of the former Chichester Rural District.
Chichester District Council has 48 councillors, representing 29 wards. Chichester itself has four of those wards (North, South, East and West) whilst the remaining wards comprise groups of villages; see Wards of Chichester District. Local elections are held every four years and at the May 2011 and 2015 elections, the Conservative party retained control.
Chichester District occupies the western part of West Sussex, bordering on Hampshire to the west and Surrey to the north. The districts of Arun and Horsham abut to the east; the English Channel to the south. The district is divided by the South Downs escarpment, with the northern part being in the Weald, composed of a mixture of sandstone ridges and low-lying clays known as the Western Weald. To the south the dip slope of the downs falls gently to a flat coastal plain and the sea. The Western Weald is drained by the River Arun and its tributaries including the rivers Lox, Kird and especially the River Rother and its tributaries the River Lod and the Haslingbourne Stream. On the northern boundary Blackdown is the highest point in Sussex, while further east around Loxwood the land is low and quite flat. The south of the district has many permeable chalk and gravel areas and is drained by two winterbournes, the River Lavant and River Ems, which are usually dry in the summer. The large inlet known as Chichester Harbour and the headland of Selsey Bill are conspicuous features of the coast.
The district, apart from the few main roads, is generally rural in character, as can be seen by the number of villages within it. Apart from the coastal strip there are few main roads, and the erstwhile railways which once served Midhurst have long been closed.
Apart from the geographical landmarks Chichester District contains architectural and cultural places including Chichester Cathedral, Chichester Festival Theatre, The Novium and Pallant House Gallery in the city. Stately homes open to the public include Petworth House and Uppark, both National Trust properties, Goodwood House and Stansted Park. West Dean College is open at certain times of the year. There is horse racing at Goodwood Racecourse, the Goodwood Festival of Speed at Goodwood House, and the Goodwood Revival at Goodwood Motor Racing Circuit. Cowdray House is a ruined Tudor mansion near Midhurst. Fishbourne Roman Palace lies west of Chichester city centre. To the north of the city are Weald and Downland Open Air Museum and Halnaker Windmill. There are gardens open to the public at Woolbeding and Pound Commons and West Dean College.
West Sussex County Council and Chichester District Council are major employers in Chichester, along with Rolls-Royce Motor Cars assembly plant at nearby Westhampnett. Boatbuilding is an important industry along the coast. Many people from the northern parts of the district commute to work in London, using the A3 road or the railways from Portsmouth to London Waterloo station and Littlehampton to London Victoria station. Fertile soils on the coastal plain are used for arable farming and intensive vegetable production, the latter employing many migrant workers from Eastern Europe. High sunlight levels and a mild climate also make the coastal region suitable for glasshouse growing. A fertile strip of land on the north side of the River Rother is also used for vegetable growing, but most of the area north of the Downs is of low agricultural value and there are large areas of forest and pasture, interspersed with arable cropping.
Elections to Chichester District Council in West Sussex, United Kingdom were held on 1 May 2003. The whole council was up for election and the Conservative Party held overall control.2007 Chichester District Council election
Elections to Chichester District Council in West Sussex, United Kingdom were held on 3 May 2007. The whole council was up for election and the Conservative Party held overall control with an increased majority.2015 Chichester District Council election
The 2015 Chichester District Council election took place on 7 May 2015 to elect members of Chichester Council in England. This was on the same day as other local elections.Barlavington
Barlavington is a small village and civil parish in the Chichester district of West Sussex, England. The village is situated about four miles (6 km) south of Petworth, east of the A285 road. At the 2011 Census the population was included in the civil parish of Sutton.
The nearest railway station is five miles (8 km) northeast of the village, at Pulborough.
St Mary's Church was built between 1160 and 1190. Most of the church was built in Early English style.
The parish covers an area of 397 hectares (980 acres). According to the 2001 census it had a population of 117 people living in 35 households. Owing to the presence of a retirement home only 36 people were economically active.Bepton
Bepton is a village, Anglican parish and civil parish in the Chichester district of West Sussex, England. According to the 2001 census it had 104 households with a population of 249 of whom 117 were economically active. The village is about 3 miles (4.8 km) south-west of Midhurst.Bignor
Bignor is a village and civil parish in the Chichester district of the English county of West Sussex, about six miles (10 km) north of Arundel. It is in the civil parish of Pulborough.
The nearest railway station is 3.3 miles (5.4 km) south east of the village, at Amberley. The area of the parish is 471 hectares (1163 acres). According to the 2001 census Bignor had a population of 103 people living in 43 households.
The village is next to the line of Stane Street, an important Roman road, where it ascends the escarpment of the South Downs. The modern track from the village to the hill top climbs steeply up to and then roughly follows the Roman route, but before the car park at the top Stane Street can be seen as a wide flat terraceway below the modern track.Birdham
Birdham is a village and civil parish in the Chichester District of West Sussex, England. It is located on the Manhood Peninsula, about five miles (8 km) south west of the city of Chichester. The parish church is dedicated to St James although the dedication was to St. Leonard until c 1900.
The nearest railway station is some three miles (5 km) northeast of the village, at Chichester or Fishbourne.
The village sits on the shores of Chichester Harbour and is home to a locked marina on the site of a former tide mill pond. The tide mill building itself still exists. In between it and Chichester marina are the lockgates to the disused Chichester Canal opened in 1822. The local school is Birdham C of E Primary School. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 1,408.
HMS Birdham, a minesweeper, launched on 19 September 1955, was named after the village.Boxgrove
Boxgrove is a village, ecclesiastical parish and civil parish in the Chichester District of the English county of West Sussex, about 3.5 miles (5.6 km) north east of the city of Chichester. The village is just south of the A285 road which follows the line of the Roman road Stane Street.
The Anglican parish has an area of 1,169 hectares (2,890 acres). According to the 2001 census it had a population of 901 people living in 423 households of whom 397 were economically active. The 2011 Census indicated at population of 957. Included in the parish are the hamlets of Crockerhill, Strettington and Halnaker.Chichester District Council elections
Chichester District Council in West Sussex, England is elected every four years. Since the last boundary changes in 2003, 48 councillors have been elected from 29 wards.Cocking, West Sussex
Cocking is a village, parish and civil parish in the Chichester district of West Sussex, England. The village is about three miles (5 km) south of Midhurst on the main A286 road to Chichester.
In the 2001 census there were 190 households in the civil parish with a total population of 459 of whom 223 were economically active. In 2011, the population was 420.Easebourne
Easebourne () is a village, Anglican parish and civil parish in the Chichester District of West Sussex, England. It is half a mile (0.8 km) north of Midhurst, across the River Rother on the A272 and A286 roads. The parish includes the hamlet of Henley to the north. In the 2001 census there were 708 households with a total population of 1,717 of whom 785 were economically active.Fishbourne, West Sussex
Fishbourne is a village, civil parish and electoral ward in the Chichester District of West Sussex, England and is situated two miles (3.2 km) west of Chichester. The name derives from fissaburna/fiseborne/fysshburn, all meaning "stream with fish."
The parish has a land area of 387 hectares (956 acres). In the 2001 census 1953 people lived in 840 households, of whom 910 were economically active.There are two public houses and a railway station.Graffham
Graffham is a village and civil parish in West Sussex, England, situated on the northern escarpment of the South Downs. The civil parish is made up of the village of Graffham, part of the hamlet of Selham, and South Ambersham. It forms part of the Bury Ward for the purposes of electing a Councillor to Chichester District Council.Lavant, West Sussex
Lavant is a civil parish in the Chichester district of West Sussex, England, 2.2 miles (3.5 km) north of Chichester. It includes three villages: Mid Lavant and East Lavant, which are separate Anglican parishes, and the much smaller West Lavant. It takes its name from the River Lavant which flows from East Dean to Chichester.
The A286 road between Chichester and Midhurst runs through the parish.
The villages were served by a station in Mid Lavant, on the railway line that ran between Chichester and Midhurst, but this closed in stages between 1931 and 1991.Nutbourne, Chichester
Nutbourne is a village in the Chichester District of West Sussex, England located 2 miles (3.2 km) east of Emsworth on the A259 road. It is in the civil Parish of Chidham and Hambrook.
This small village on the south side of the former A27 road, now the A259, has a loop of road running through it with a ford on the south side of the village centre. It lies at the northern tip of Thorney Channel, an inlet of Chichester Harbour.Nyewood
Nyewood is a hamlet in the Chichester district of West Sussex, England situated in the Western Rother valley. The village is on an unclassified road between Rogate and South Harting, the hub of the Harting civil parish that also includes the smaller settlements at West and East Harting. In former times it was also an intermediate station on the ”Middy”, a rural railway line that ran between Petersfield and Midhurst. Despite its small size the area supports some notable businesses including Ballard's independent brewery whose hallmark brew is named after the hamlet. It is in the civil parish of Harting.Petworth
Petworth is a small town and civil parish in the Chichester District of West Sussex, England. It is located at the junction of the A272 east-west road from Heathfield to Winchester and the A283 Milford to Shoreham-by-Sea road. Some twelve miles (21 km) to the south west of Petworth along the A285 road lies Chichester and the south-coast. The parish includes the settlements of Byworth and Hampers Green and covers an area of 2,690 hectares (6,600 acres). In 2001 the population of the parish was 2,775 persons living in 1,200 households of whom 1,326 were economically active. At the 2011 Census the population was 3,027.Rogate
Rogate is a village and civil parish in the Chichester district of West Sussex, England, in the Western Rother valley. The village is on the A272 road 5.6 miles (9.0 km) west of Midhurst and 5 miles (8.0 km) east of Petersfield, Hampshire. The civil parish includes the villages of Rogate and Rake and the hamlets of Haben, Fyning, Hill Brow, Langley, Durford, Wenham, Durleighmarsh and Terwick Common.Woodmancote, West Sussex (Chichester District)
Woodmancote is a village in the Chichester district of West Sussex, England. It lies just off the B2147 road 2 miles (3.2 km) northeast of Emsworth. It should not be confused with the other West Sussex village of Woodmancote near Henfield. At the 2011 Census the population of this village was included in the civil parish of Westbourne.
Settlements in Chichester District
West Sussex Portal
|Boroughs or districts|
|Isle of Wight|