1885–1918: The Sessional Divisions of Brentwood (except the parishes of Rainham and Wennington) and Chelmsford.
1918–1950: The Borough of Chelmsford, the Urban District of Brentwood, the Rural Districts of Chelmsford and Ongar, and in the Rural District of Billericay the parishes of Hutton, Ingrave, Mountnessing, Shenfield, and South Weald.
1950–1955: The Borough of Chelmsford, and the Rural Districts of Chelmsford and Ongar.
1955–1974: The Borough of Chelmsford, and the Rural District of Chelmsford.
1974–1983: The Borough of Chelmsford, and in the Rural District of Chelmsford the parishes of Danbury, East Hanningfield, Great Baddow, Highwood, Ingatestone and Fryerning, Little Baddow, Margaretting, Mountnessing, Rettendon, Runwell, Sandon, South Hanningfield, Stock, West Hanningfield, and Woodham Ferrers.
1983–1997: The Borough of Chelmsford wards of All Saints, Baddow Road, Boreham and Springfield, Cathedral, Danbury and Sandon, East and West Hanningfield, Galleywood, Goat Hall, Great Baddow Village, Highwood and Margaretting, Little Baddow, Mildmays, Moulsham Lodge, Oaklands, Patching Hall, Rothmans, St Andrew's, Stock, The Lawns, and Waterhouse Farm.
2010–present: The City of Chelmsford wards of Chelmer Village and Beaulieu Park, Galleywood, Goat Hall, Great Baddow East, Great Baddow West, Marconi, Moulsham and Central, Moulsham Lodge, Patching Hall, St Andrew's, Springfield North, The Lawns, Trinity, and Waterhouse Farm.
At its first contest in 2010, the seat was closely fought by the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats, who finished less than 10% apart, with Conservative candidate Simon Burns (the former MP for West Chelmsford) being elected. Labour polled 11%, despite having been only around 100 votes behind the Liberal Democrats in West Chelmsford in 2005, and even taking second place in 2001.
Chelmsford in Essex, showing boundaries used from 1918 to 1945.
Chelmsford in Essex, showing boundaries used from 1945 to 1950.
Chelmsford had its own constituency from 1885 until its abolition in 1997. During its latter years, the old seat was narrowly won by a Conservative over a strong Liberal Democrat performances, including their predecessor party the Liberal Party. The constituency was recreated in time for the 2010 general election.
Another General Election was required to take place before the end of 1940. The political parties had been making preparations for an election to take place from 1939 and by the end of this year, the following candidates had been selected;
The Chelmsford by-election, 1892 was a parliamentary by-election held for the British House of Commons constituency of Chelmsford in Essex on 30 April 1892. The seat had become vacant on the death of the Conservative Member of Parliament William Beadel, who had held the seat since its creation for the 1885 general election.
The Conservative candidate, Thomas Usborne, was returned unopposed, and held the seat until he stood down at the 1900 general election.
Chigwell was a parliamentary constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom from 1955 to 1974. It elected one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election.
The seat was merged into the new Epping Forest constituency with the majority of the old Epping seat.
Maldon and East Chelmsford was a parliamentary constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. From 1997 to 2010 it elected one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election.
West Chelmsford was a parliamentary constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It elected one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election.
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.