Changhua (Hokkien POJ: Chiong-hòa or Chiang-hòa), officially known as Changhua City, is a county-administered city and the county seat of Changhua County in Taiwan. For many centuries the site was home to a settlement of Babuza people, a coastal tribe of Taiwanese aborigines. Changhua city is ranked first by population among county-administered cities. Historically, Changhua city was a base for the Hans when they invaded Taiwan and to defend from the Taiwanese aborigines, a fortress built out of bamboo was made. Thus Changhua has earned its name as "Bamboo Town".
Changhua is best known for its landmark statue of the Great Buddha. At 26 metres tall, the statue sits atop Bagua Mountain overlooking the city. The main walkway up to the giant is lined with statues of figures from Buddhist lore. Another site of interest is Taiwan's oldest temple honoring Confucius.
View of the Great Buddha on Baguashan at Changhua City
Bamboo Town (半線城)
|Country||Republic of China (Taiwan)|
|• Type||County-controlled city|
|• Mayor||Chiu Chien-fu (DPP)|
|• Total||65.68 km2 (25.36 sq mi)|
|• Density||3,600/km2 (9,300/sq mi)|
Poasoa (transliterated into Chinese: 半線; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Pòaⁿ-sòaⁿ) was once a center of settlement for the Babuza people (a plains aboriginal tribe). During the Dutch period, the area was under the administration of Favorlang (modern-day Huwei, Yunlin) and was controlled by the Dutch East India Company. During the Siege of Fort Zeelandia, the area was also one of Koxinga's central defense and attack bases. During the Chinese immigration of the 17th century, Changhua city was one of the four cities that had major immigration; it was one of the oldest Han Chinese settlements.
By 1694, Poasoa Village (半線庄) had been established. During the late 17th to late 19th century the area continued to be one of the major urban settlements in central Taiwan. In 1723, Changhua County was established, following the Zhu Yigui rebellion. Despite that, rebellions and civil wars continued.
The origin of today's Changhua City is attributed to the Japanese administration, as they made the city into the official county seat in 1897 under Taichū Ken (Japanese: 臺中縣). During this era, the Japanese pronunciation Shōka came into use, alongside the "Chinese spellings" of "Changwha, Changhwa, Changhoa, Chanhue, Chan-hua, Tchanghoua".
In 1901, the local administrative unit Shōka Chō (彰化廳) was established, but this merged with Taichū Chō (臺中廳) in 1909. In 1920, Shoka was governed under the new Taichū Prefecture. In 1933, Ōtake Village (大竹庄) and Nankaku Village (南郭庄) were merged with Shōka Town and upgraded to Shōka City.
After the handover of Taiwan from Japan to the Republic of China on 25 October 1945, Changhua City was established as provincial city of Taiwan Province on 25 December the same year. On 30 November 1951, the Changhua City Office was established and subsequently on 1 December 1951, it was downgraded to county-administered city and became the county seat of Changhua County until today.
Changhua city has plenty of flat lands, however, the flat lands are divided in two portions by the Central Mountain Range of Taiwan. One on the South Eastern area and the other on the North Western area. The North Eastern area, although being flat, is often affected by soil erosion caused by typhoons during the summer, thus is not suitable for living.
The temperature of Changhua city on average is 22.4 °C (72.3 °F), annually, with July being the hottest and January being the coolest. Annual rainfall is 1,723.4 mm (67.85 in), June being the wettest and November being the driest. Rainfall decreases westward closer to the coastline.
Changhua City is divided into the following villages (in romanized alphabetical order):
Anxi, Ayi, Baobu, Chenggong, Citong, Datong, Dazhu, Fuan, Fugui, Fushan, Futian, Fuxing, Guangfu, Guanghua, Guangnan, Guashan, Guosheng, Guyi, Hediao, Huabei, Huayang, Jiadong, Jianan, Jianbao, Jieshou, Kuaiguan, Longshan, Lunping, Minquan, Minsheng, Nanan, Nanmei, Nanxing, Nanyao, Niupu, Pinghe, Sancun, Shipai, Taifeng, Taoyuan, Tianzhong, Tungfang, Tungxing, Wanan, Wanshou, Wenhua, Wuquan, Xiabu, Xian Xiangshan, Xiangyang, Xingbei, Xinhua, Xinxing, Xinyi, Xishi, Xixing, Yangming, Yanhe, Yanping, Yongfu, Yongsheng, Zhangan, Zhangle, Zhongquan, Zhongshan, Zhongxiao, Zhongyang, Zhongzheng, Zhongzhuang, Zhuanyao, Zhuxiang and Zhuzhong.
Changhua City is one of the more developed areas of Changhua County, industrialization has been ongoing since the 1970s. This is reflected by an increase of factories in Changhua and decreasing amount of agricultural fields. However, Changhua City has a considerable amount of pollution as a result of this industrialization. From a poll in 1992, 43.2% of respondents worked in the service sector, 42.4% in the industrial sector and only 14.4% in either the agricultural or fishing sector.
The earliest school in Changhua dated back to 1726 during the Qing dynasty. The Japanese administration also improved the education system in Changhua City. Changhua City has 15 elementary schools, 7 junior high schools, 7 senior high schools and 2 technical/universities.
Freeway 1 connects Changhua City to Taichung City and is one of the primary route for commuters between the two cities. Freeway 3 intersects with Freeway 1 at Changhua and connects to Provincial Highway 74.
Beidou Township (Chinese: 北斗鎮; pinyin: Běidǒu Zhèn; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Pak-táu-tìn) is an urban township in Changhua County, Taiwan.Changhua County
Changhua County (Mandarin Pīnyīn: Zhānghuà Xiàn; Hokkien POJ: Chiang-hòa-koān or Chiong-hòa-koān) is the smallest county on the main island of Taiwan by area, and the fourth smallest in the country. With a total population of 1.3 million, Changhua County is the most populous county in Taiwan.Dacheng, Changhua
Dacheng Township (Chinese: 大城鄉; pinyin: Dàchéng Xiāng) is a rural township in Changhua County, Taiwan.Dacun
Dacun Township (Chinese: 大村鄉; pinyin: Dàcūn Xiāng) is a rural township in Changhua County, Taiwan.Ershui
Ershui Township (Chinese: 二水鄉; pinyin: Èrshuǐ Xiāng) is a rural township in southeastern Changhua County, Taiwan.Fangyuan
Fangyuan Township (Chinese: 芳苑鄉; pinyin: Fāngyuàn Xiāng) is a rural township in Changhua County, Taiwan.Fuxing, Changhua
Fuxing Township (Chinese: 福興鄉; pinyin: Fúxīng Xiāng) is a rural township borders on Lukang in northwestern Changhua County, Taiwan.Hemei
Hemei Township is an urban township in northwestern Changhua County, Taiwan. It is bordered by the Dadu River to the north, Shengang and Xianxi to the west, Lukang and Xiushui to the south, and Changhua City to the east.Lukang, Changhua
Lukang, formerly known as Lugang and by other names, is an urban township in northwestern Changhua County, Taiwan. The township is on the west coast of Taiwan, facing the Taiwan Strait. Lukang was an important sea port in the 18th century and 19th century. It was the most populous city in central Taiwan until the early 20th century. In March 2012, it was named one of the Top 10 Small Tourist Towns by the Tourism Bureau of Taiwan.Pitou, Changhua
Pitou Township (Chinese: 埤頭鄉; pinyin: Pítóu Xiāng) is a rural township in Changhua County, Taiwan. The district had a population of 30,737 as of January 2017 and an area of 42.75 square kilometres (16.51 sq mi). One of the attractions in Pitou is the Kopok Flower Boulevard.Puxin
Puxin Township (Chinese: 埔心鄉; pinyin: Pǔxīn Xiāng), also written Pusin, is a rural township in Changhua County, Taiwan. It has a population of 34,788 and an area of 20.9526 square kilometres.Shetou
Shetou Township is a rural township in Changhua County, Taiwan.Tianwei
Tianwei Township (Chinese: 田尾鄉; pinyin: Tiánwěi Xiāng) is a rural township in Changhua County, Taiwan. It has a population total of 27,834 and an area of 24.03 square kilometres.Tianzhong
Tianzhong Township is an urban township located at eastern Changhua County, Taiwan. Its former name (田中央; Chhân-tiong-ng) and current name (田中) make reference to the origin of the town in the center of rice paddies.Xianxi, Changhua
Xianxi Township or Siansi Township (Chinese: 線西鄉; pinyin: Xiànxi Xiāng, Wade-giles: Hsianhsi) is a rural township in Changhua County, Taiwan with over 17,000 residents. With an area of 18.1 square kilometres, it is the smallest township in the county.Xihu, Changhua
Xihu Township or Sihu Township (Chinese: 溪湖鎮; pinyin: Xīhú Zhèn) is an urban township in the middle of Changhua County, Taiwan.A traditional farming village, along with Xiluo, Xihu is one of the centers of vegetable-growing on the western side of the island. Famous local foods include lamb hotpot and kyoho grapes.Xiushui, Changhua
Xiushui Township (Chinese: 秀水鄉; pinyin: Xiùshuǐ Xiāng, Wade-giles: Hsiushui) is a rural township in Changhua County, Taiwan. It has a population total of 39,271 as of July 2018 and an area of 29.34 square kilometres (11.33 sq mi).Xizhou, Changhua
Xizhou Township (Chinese: 溪州鄉; pinyin: Xīzhōu Xiāng; Wade-giles: Sijhou) is a rural township in Changhua County, Taiwan. It has a population total of 30,753 and an area of 75.83 square kilometres (29.28 sq mi). It is the third largest township in Changhua County after Erlin and Fangyuan.Zhutang, Changhua
Zhutang Township (Chinese: 竹塘鄉; pinyin: Zhútáng Xiāng) is a rural township in Changhua County, Taiwan. It has a population total of 15,863 and an area of 42.1662 square kilometres.
|Hanyu Pinyin||Zhānghuà Shì|
|Bopomofo||ㄓㄤ ㄏㄨㄚˋ ㄕˋ|
|Gwoyeu Romatzyh||Janghuah Shyh|
|Tongyong Pinyin||Jhanghuà Shìh|
|Yale Romanization||Jānghwà Shr̀|
|Hokkien POJ||Chiong-hòa-chhī or|
|Other County seats|
Note: A: not the county seat.
Cities and townships of Changhua County
County seat: Changhua