Champlain is a municipality, located in Les Chenaux Regional County Municipality and the administrative region the Mauricie, in the province of Quebec, Canada. Located on the north shore of St. Lawrence River, Champlain is also part of the metropolitan area of Trois-Rivières.
Champlain is part of "The Most Beautiful Villages of Quebec Association".
In 1632, Samuel de Champlain, founder of the New France, gave his name to the Champlain River. Champlain's name was then given to the lordship by the Lord Étienne Pézard de la Touche, then to the parish, to the Quebec County (1829), to the municipality (1845) and to the Federal County (1867).
The lease of the lordship, April 8, 1664, does not give a name to the manor granted to Étienne Pézard de la Touche. The act refers only to the amount of land granted extends "from the Champlain River in the amount of said river to said Trois-Rivières". From 1668, the documents relating to the residents of Champlain mention they live in "La Touche-Champlain" or simply "Champlain" from 1669. In 1684, the place is well known as Champlain Bishop of Laval, finally giving the official titles of the parish for twenty years after its foundation, writes: "the place commonly called Champlain". As for the Lord, it was called La Touche-Champlain already in 1680 or "Pézard Champlain" already in 1693 or Pézard Latouche-Champlain already in 1702.
The Commission de toponymie du Québec reports have noted a "popular version" wanting that Samuel de Champlain has given its name because, "amazed by the beauty of the place, [he] would have exclaimed: "What a beautiful field", from the Latin campus planus, flat field."  Although friendly, this version is confirmed by any written source up to now...
The territory of the Champlain municipality lies on the "fief Marsolet" (Marsolet stronghold) and "fief de l'Arbre-à-la-Croix" (stronghold of the tree to the Cross), both granted on April 5, 1644, and the lordship of Champlain, conceded on August 8, 1664.
The first occupants of Champlain settled in 1664 or 1665. There have been a first attempt to land granted August 16, 1643, but the distance and the Iroquois threat discouraged initiators. In 1664 or 1665, the first settlers to establish on the side of the lordship of Champlain. The following year (1666) will begin on concessions stronghold Hertel and in 1667 the fief Marsolet. Some of the first families come from Trois-Rivières, in the case of those of Antoine Desrosiers, François Chorel and Pierre Dandonneau. 
- 5: Concession Marsolet stronghold and stronghold of the "fief de l'Arbre-à-la-Croix" (tree to the Cross).
- 8 Grant of the manor of Champlain. This date is considered the founding of the town of Champlain, the eighth oldest town of New France.
- 1664: Construction of Fort La Touche-Champlain.
- Years 1830-1850: Emergence of the present village in the center of the town. In 1860, there are 20 locations in the village. In 1933, there were 150.
- 1855 Constitution of the parish municipality of La Visitation de Champlain in the first municipal boundaries of Quebec.
- 1879: Construction of the present church
- 1882: Construction of the present monastery
- 1886: The streets Sainte-Anne and Saint-Joseph are authenticated by the municipal council.
- 1917: The parish municipality of La Visitation de Champlain stands La Visitation-de-Champlain.
- 11: Fusion of La Visitation de Champlain and Champlain to create the municipality Champlain. The municipality of the parish was established in 1845 and that of the village in 1917.
- 10: Pope John Paul II, we train on the territory of the municipality of Champlain, en route from Quebec City to Trois-Rivières.
- 7: The council passed a resolution formalizing the gentile Champlainois-C
hamplainoise to designate the inhabitants of Champlain.
- 13: Discovery of the first asteroid from the Astronomical Observatory Champlain. He wears the number 157329 and was provisionally named 2004 TM16.
- 24: Discovery of a second asteroid from the Astronomical Observatory Champlain. He wears the number 161815 and the temporary name of 2006 WK30.
Originally, the city was part of the County of Champlain, then in 1982 it was incorporated into the regional county municipality (RCM) Francheville. The MRC is abolished in 2002 and Champlain joined the MRC Chenaux.
- Population in 2011: 1664 (2006 to 2011 population change: 6.3%)
- Population in 2006: 1566
- Population in 2001: 1623
- Population in 1996: 1608
- Population in 1991: 1610
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 766 (total dwellings: 861)
- English as first language: 0.7%
- French as first language: 97.9%
- English and French as first language: 0.7%
- Other as first language: 0.7%
Historical population of Champlain, Quebec
- ^ Reference number 133609 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (in French)
- ^ a b Geographic code 37220 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (in French)
- ^ a b "(Code 2437220) Census Profile". 2011 census. Statistics Canada. 2012.
- ^ no_seq = 133609 Toponymy: Champlain
- ^ According to the titles of acts in Parchment bank.
- ^ Eddy Hamelin. Parish Champlain, Trois-Rivières, Public Good, 1933, p. 16
- ^ Following acts of baptisms, marriages and burials identified by the program team research in historical demography (PRDH) of the University of Montreal. Celebrants
write Pesard but Cour-Cheverny, birthplace of Lord's name is written Pézard see Ghislaine Le Mauff, Daniel Guérin and Alan Larson, "Pézard Étienne de la Touche, de Champlain", Pioneers originating Loir-et-Cher established in Canada, [online], Genealogical Society of Loir-et-Cher http://hometown.aol.com/ghislmf / canada / Pezard / index.html (accessed 7 February 2004).
- ^ Bank Topos Dictionary and the names and locations of Quebec. In the History Champlain, Volume 1, p. 24, the author writes: "Derived from Campus planus, flat field [name] is admirably suited to the locality. "He does not say whether Champlain. Itself which is exclaimed "What a beautiful field"
- ^ On the first land on the side of the manor of Champlain, see the book by Jean-Pierre Chartier, La Grande distribution de terres de 1665, Le fief et seigneurie Latouche-Champlain (The Great concession of land in 1665, the fief and seigniory Latouche-Champlain), Montreal, History of Quebec, 2009.
- ^ If you believe Marcel Trudel,Le terrier du Saint-Laurent en 1674" (The terrier of St. Lawrence river in 1674), Volume 1, Montreal, Meridian, 1998, p. 381-402.
- ^ Archange Godbout,Les pionniers de la région trifluvienne (Pioneers of Trois-Rivières area), Trois-Rivières, Édition du Bien public, 1934, p.
- ^ Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
- ^ Histoire de Champlain (History of Champlain), tome 1, Trois-Rivières, Edition of Bien Public, 1915, page 160. The Lordship of Champlain counts 253 persons, le "fief Hertel" 25 and "les Prairies Marsolet" 16.
- ^ H. Têtu et C.O. Gagnon. «Plan général de l'état présent des missions du Canada fait en l'année 1683» (General plan of the present state of Canada's missions in the year 1683), Mandements, lettres pastorales et circulaires des évêques de Québec ( Mandements, pastoral letters and circulars of the bishops of Quebec), vol. 1, Québec, Imprimerie générale A. Côté et cie, 1887, pages 122-124. The "fief Hertel" is not mentioned.
- ^ Rapport de l'Archiviste de la province de Québec (Report of the Archivist of the Province of Quebec), 1946-1947, pages 5-53 et Rapport sur les archives du Canada (Report on Archives of Canada), 1918, app. B, pages 158-189
- ^ Rapport de l'archiviste de la province de Québec (Report of the Archivist of the Province of Quebec), 1936-1937, pages 1-121
- ^ Data from 1851-1971 are from Les populations municipales et paroissiales de la Mauricie, Dossier statistique : 1850-1971 (The municipal and parish populations Mauricie Statistical Dossier: 1850-1971), publication of the Research Group on the Mauricie, University of Quebec at Trois-Rivières, 1981, cahier no 3.
- ^ For each year from 1921 to 1981, the number reported here is the addition of the population of the parish municipality and the municipality of the village.
- ^ Template:Lien Web
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.