Cerasus (near Trapezus)
Cerasus or Kerasous ( Ancient Greek: Κερασοῦς) was a town of ancient Pontus, on the Black Sea coast, a little to the west of Trapezus. The  Ten Thousand, in their retreat, came to Trapezus, and leaving Trapezus, "they arrive on the third day at Cerasus, an Hellenic city on the sea, a colony of the Sinopeis, in Colchis." The Anonymous  geographer of Ravenna places Cerasus 60 stadia east of Coralla, and 90 west of Hieron Oros, and on a river of the same name. The name, and possibly the population, of the town were translated to Pharnacia in the Hellenistic era.
Its site is tentatively located near Gelida Kale in
Asiatic Turkey. 
^ a b
Richard Talbert, ed. (2000). . Princeton University Press. p. 87, and directory notes accompanying. Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World
Xenophon. . 5.3.2. Anabasis
Strabo. . p. 548. Geographica Page numbers refer to those of Isaac Casaubon's edition.
Lund University. . Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Smith, William, ed. (1854–1857). "Cerasus". . London: John Murray. Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography
Coordinates: 41°03′29″N 39°19′09″E / 41.05814°N 39.319029°E
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.