Ceramus or Keramos (Ancient Greek: Κέραμος) was a city on the north coast of the Ceramic Gulf—named after this city—in ancient Caria, in southwest Asia Minor; its ruins can be found outside the modern village of Ören, Muğla Province, Turkey.
Ceramus, initially subjected to Stratonicea, afterwards autonomous, was a member of the Athenian League and was one of the chief cities of the Chrysaorian League (Bulletin de corresp. hellén., IX, 468). In ancient times, it probably had a temple of Zeus Chrysaoreus. In Roman times, it coined its own money.
Ceramus is mentioned in the Notitiae Episcopatuum until the 12th or 13th century as a bishopric suffragan to Aphrodisias, or Stauropolis. Three bishops are known: Spudasius, who attended the First Council of Ephesus in 431; Maurianus, who attended the Council of Nicaea in 787; and Symeon, who attended the council in Constantinople that reinstated Photius in 879.
Andrew Carruthers (1770–1852) was a Roman Catholic bishop who served as the Vicar Apostolic of the Eastern District of Scotland.
Born in Drumillan Miln near New Abbey in Kirkcudbrightshire on 7 February 1770, he was the son of Catholic parents, Andrew Carruthers and his wife Lucy Rigg. The priest and historian James Carruthers was his brother.Carruthers was ordained a priest on 25 March 1795. He was stationed first to the missionary station at Balloch on the Drummond Castle estate, in Perthshire, then in 1797 appointed as the chaplain to the Earl of Traquair at the Stuart family seat Traquair in Peeblesshire, and 1800 he moved to the mission at Munches, seat of the Maxwells at Dalbeattie in his native Kirkcudbrightshire. Using a bequest from the late Agnes Maxwell, who died in 1809, the last of the Catholic Maxwells of Munches he built St Peter's Church in Dalbeattie which opened in 1814. On June 29, 2014 it celebrated its 200th anniversary.
He was appointed the Vicar Apostolic of the Eastern District and Titular Bishop of Ceramus by the Holy See on 28 September 1832. He was consecrated to the Episcopate on 13 January 1833. The principal consecrator was Bishop Thomas Penswick, Vicar Apostolic of the Northern District of England, and the principal co-consecrators were Bishop Andrew Scott and Bishop James Kyle. He died in office on 24 May 1852, aged 82. He was buried in St Mary's, now the cathedral in Edinburgh.Ariadne
Ariadne (; Greek: Ἀριάδνη; Latin: Ariadne) was a Cretan princess in Greek mythology. She was mostly associated with mazes and labyrinths because of her involvement in the myths of the Minotaur and Theseus. The ancient Roman author Hyginus identified Ariadne as the Roman Libera/Proserpina at approximately the same time as Libera was officially identified with Proserpina in 205 BC, these 2 names becoming synonymous for the same goddess. Hyginus equated Libera/Proserpina with Ariadne as bride to Liber, whose Greek equivalent was Dionysus, the husband of Ariadne.Ariassus
Ariassus or Ariassos (Ancient Greek: Άριασσός) was a town in Pisidia, Asia Minor built on a steep hillside about 50 kilometres inland from Attaleia (modern Antalya).Bargasa
Bargasa (Ancient Greek: Βάργασα) or Pargasa (Πάργασα) was a city of ancient Caria. It was a polis (city-state) and a member of the Delian League. There are also coins of Bargasa with the epigraph Βαργασηνῶν. It is mentioned by Strabo, who, after speaking of Cnidus, says, "then Ceramus and Bargasa, small places above the sea."Its site is located near Gökbel, Asiatic Turkey.Caloe
Caloe was a town in the Roman province of Asia. It is mentioned as Kaloe or Keloue in 3rd-century inscriptions, as Kalose in Hierocles's Synecdemos (660), and as Kalloe, Kaloe, and Kolone in Parthey's Notitiæ episcopatuum, in which it figures from the 6th to the 12fth or 13th century.Cerameis
Cerameis or Kerameis (Ancient Greek: Κεραμεῖς) was a deme of ancient Attica, located in the center of Athens, northeast of the Dipylon Gate, which extended both inside and outside the city walls. In its territory lay an important necropolis.Cestrus
Cestrus was a city in the Roman province of Isauria, in Asia Minor. Its placing within Isauria is given by Hierocles, Georgius Cyprius, and Parthey's (Notitiae episcopatuum). While recognizing what the ancient sources said, Lequien supposed that the town, whose site has not been identified, took its name from the River Cestros and was thus in Pamphylia. Following Lequien's hypothesis, the 19th-century annual publication Gerarchia cattolica identified the town with "Ak-Sou", which Sophrone Pétridès called an odd mistake, since this is the name of the River Cestros, not of a city.Chrysaorian League
The Chrysaorian League (Ancient Greek: σύστημα Χρυσαορικόν, systema Chrysaorikon) was an informal loose federation of several cities in ancient region of Caria, Anatolia that was apparently formed in the early Seleucid period and lasted at least until 203 BC. The League had its primary focus on unified defense, and secondarily on trade, and may have been linked by ethnic bonds (the Chrysaorians). It had an assembly and financial institutions, and a form of reciprocal citizenship whereby a citizen of a member city was entitled to certain rights and privileges in any other member city. The capital of the League was Chrysaorium where the assembly met. 
Other member cities included: Alabanda (renamed Antiochia of the Chrysaorians), Alinda, Amyzon, Ceramus, Mylasa, Kaunos, Stratonicea, Thera.
For periods of time, some of the member cities were subject to Rhodes as part of the Rhodian Peraea.Cotenna
Cotenna was a city in the Roman province of Pamphylia I in Asia Minor. It corresponds to modern Gödene, near Konya, Turkey.Dolichos (race)
Dolichos or Dolichus (Greek: Δόλιχος, English translation: "long race") in the ancient Olympic Games was a long-race (ca. 4800 m) introduced in 720 BC. Separate accounts of the race present conflicting evidence as to the actual length of the dolichos. However, the average stated length of the race was approximately 18-24 laps, or about three miles. The event was run similarly to modern marathons - the runners would begin and end their event in the stadium proper, but the race course would wind its way through the Olympic grounds. The course would often flank important shrines and statues in the sanctuary, passing by the Nike statue by the temple of Zeus before returning to the stadium.Doric Hexapolis
The Doric or Dorian Hexapolis (Greek: Δωρικὴ Ἑξάπολις or Δωριέων Ἑξάπολις) was a federation of six cities of Dorian foundation in southwest Asia Minor and adjacent islands, largely coextensive with the region known as Doris or Doris in Asia (Δωρίς ἡ ἐν Ἀσίᾳ), and included:
Cos, on the island of Cos
Cnidus in Caria;
Halicarnassus in Caria;
Lindus, on the island of Rhodes;
Ialysus on Rhodes; and
Camirus on Rhodes.The members of this hexapolis celebrated a festival, with games, on the Triopian promontory near Cnidus, in honour of the Triopian Apollo; the prizes in those games were brazen tripods, which the victors had to dedicate in the temple of Apollo; and Halicarnassus was struck out of the league, because one of her citizens carried the tripod to his own house before dedicating it in the temple of Apollo. The hexapolis thus became the Doric Pentapolis. (Herod. i. 144.)
Pliny (v. 28) says, Caria mediae Doridi circumfunditur ad mare utroque latere ambiens, by which he means that Doris is surrounded by Caria on all sides, except where it is bordered by the sea. He makes Doris begin at Cnidus. In the bay of Doris he places Leucopolis, Hamaxitus, etc. An attempt has been made among scholars to ascertain which of two bays Pliny calls Doridis Sinus, the more probable being the Ceramic Gulf. This Doris of Pliny is the country occupied by the Dorians, which Thucydides (ii. 9) indicates, not by the name of the country, but of the people: Dorians, neighbours of the Carians. Ptolemy (v. 2) makes Doris a division of his Asia, and places in it Halicarnassus, Ceramus, and Cnidus. The term Doris, applied to a part of Asia, does not appear to occur in other writers.Gulf of Gökova
Gulf of Gökova (Turkish: Gökova Körfezi) or Gulf of Kerme (Turkish: Kerme Körfezi, Greek: Κεραμεικός κόλπος, Latin: Ceramicus Sinus, English: Ceramic Gulf or Gulf of Cos), is a long (100 km), narrow gulf of the Aegean Sea between Bodrum Peninsula and Datça Peninsula in south-west Turkey.
Administratively, Gulf of Gökova coastline includes portions of the districts of, clockwise, Bodrum, Milas, Muğla, Ula, Marmaris and Datça. The Greek island of Kos lies along the entry into the Gulf.
Bodrum, located in its northwest reaches, is the only large city on the gulf today. In ancient times, alongside Halicarnassus (modern-day Bodrum), the city of Ceramus, located midway along the gulf's northern shore and after which the gulf was named, was also an important urban center. Across Ceramus (Gereme) (in the modern township of Ören), at a short distance from the gulf's southern shore and not far from its outlying waters, was another historical site of note, called Cedrae in ancient times. Cedrae was located in Sedir Island, which was prized by visitors for its beach and of which some remains still exist.Joseph Schubert (bishop)
Joseph Schubert (24 June 1890 – 4 April 1969) was a Romanian cleric and a titular bishop of the Roman Catholic Church.List of ancient settlements in Turkey
Below is the list of ancient settlements in Turkey. There are innumerable ruins of ancient settlements spread all over the country. While some ruins date back to Neolithic times, most of them were settlements of Hittites, Phrygians, Lydians, Ionians, Urartians, and so on.Lyrbe
Lyrbe (spelled Lyrba in the 1910 Catholic Encyclopedia; Ancient Greek: Λύρβη) was a city and episcopal see in the Roman province of Pamphylia Prima and is now a titular see.Pablo Muñoz Vega
Pablo Muñoz Vega (23 May 1903 – 3 June 1994) was an Ecuadorian Roman Catholic prelate and cardinal and professed member from the Jesuits who served as the Archbishop of Quito from 1967 until his resignation in 1985.His cause of canonization commenced on 9 April 2016 after the Congregation for the Causes of Saints granted their formal approval of the cause on 10 December 2015; this gives him the title Servant of God.Ramón López Carrozas
Ramón López Carrozas, O.de M. (31 August 1937 – 28 April 2018) was a Brazilian-Spanish Roman Catholic bishop.
Carrozas was born in Spain and was ordained to the priesthood in 1960. He served as titular bishop of Ceramus and auxiliary bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Bom Jesus do Gurguéia, Brazil, from 1979 to 1989. Carrozas then served as bishop of the Diocese from 1989 to 2014.Stratonicea (Lydia)
Stratonicea – (Greek: Στρατoνικεια, or Στρατονίκεια) also transliterated as Stratoniceia and Stratonikeia, earlier Indi, and later for a time Hadrianapolis – was an ancient city in the valley of the Caicus river, between Germe and Acrasus, in Lydia, Anatolia; its site is currently near the village of Siledik, in the district of Kırkağaç, Manisa Province, in the Aegean Region of Turkey.Üçayaklı ruins
The Üçayaklı ruins are in Mersin Province, Turkey.