The Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace — also known by its original French name Cathédrale de Notre Dame de la Paix, its Portuguese variant Catedral de Nossa Senhora da Paz and its Hawaiian derivative Malia o ka Malu Hale Pule Nui — is the mother church of the Diocese of Honolulu and houses the cathedra of the Bishop of Honolulu in Honolulu, Hawaiʻi. It is located at the north end of Fort Street Mall in downtown Honolulu. Another cathedra was installed in the Co-Cathedral of Saint Theresa of the Child Jesus, also serving the diocese.
The Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments conferred the title of Minor Basilica upon the Cathedral on May 10, 2014, the liturgical memorial of St. Damien. The inaugural Mass was celebrated on October 11, 2014, the fifth anniversary of the canonization of St. Damien.
The Cathedral Basilica was built during Hawaiʻi's missionary era and served as the mother church of the Vicariate Apostolic of the Hawaiian Islands. It was dedicated by Msgr. Maigret on August 15, 1843, under the title of Our Lady of Peace or Malia O Ka Malu. It is said to be the oldest cathedral in continuous use as a cathedral in the United States as well as the church in which Saint Damien of Molokaʻi was ordained to the presbyterate on May 21, 1864. For these reasons, the Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. Though older, the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Archdiocese of Baltimore was a co-cathedral throughout most of its history and the Saint Louis Cathedral in the Archdiocese of New Orleans was closed for a long period of time in its history.
|Cathedral Basilica of |
Our Lady of Peace
|Location||1175 Fort Street Mall|
|Former name(s)||Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace|
|Dedicated||August 15, 1843|
|Relics held||Sts. Damien de Veuster &|
|Heritage designation||National Historic Landmark|
|Designated||August 7, 1972|
|Style||Romanesque Revival, Gothic Revival|
|Groundbreaking||July 9, 1840|
|Completed||August 15, 1843|
|Length||155.4 feet (47.4 m)|
|Width||51.3 feet (15.6 m)|
|Materials||Acacia koa, coral, marble, plaster, terra cotta|
|Bells||2 ("Maigret" & "Aubert")|
|Province||San Francisco (Region XIII)|
|Bishop(s)||Most Rev. Clarence R. Silva|
|Rector||Very Rev. Msgr. Gary Secor|
Our Lady of Peace Cathedral
|NRHP reference #||72000418|
|Added to NRHP||August 7, 1972|
After some years of persecution of Roman Catholicism in the Hawaiian Islands (partly instigated by Congregationalist and Presbyterian missionaries who had befriended Kings Kamehameha II, Kamehameha III, and Kaʻahumanu, and partly arising from Hawaiian opposition to French influence), the Hawaiian government issued an Edict of Toleration creating freedom of religious expression. As an act of reconciliation, Kamehameha III gave the first Roman Catholic missionaries under the leadership of Apostolic Vicar Etienne Jerome Rouchouze a piece of the royal estate on which to build the first Roman Catholic church in the kingdom.
The missionaries broke ground for the new church on July 9, 1840. It coincided with the Feast of Our Lady of Peace, patroness of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary religious institute of which the missionaries were members. The missionaries gave that title to their first foundation in the new land. A Mass was celebrated on the day of groundbreaking, when 280 native Hawaiians received the sacraments of baptism, confirmation, and first Eucharist.
The cornerstone of the building was ceremonially laid on August 6, 1840. Construction continued after groundbreaking with native Hawaiian volunteers harvesting blocks of coral from the shores of Ala Moana, Kakaʻako, and Waikīkī. Down the street, Congregationalist missionaries had earlier begun the construction of Kawaiahaʻo Church.
Several bishops in residence at the Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace commissioned renovations. When Louis Desire Maigret inherited the church as corporation sole by virtue of his office of bishop, the interior was furnished with a simple wooden altar, communion rail and pulpit. The floors were covered in lauhala leaf mats. The cathedra, also known then as the bishop's throne, was imported and installed. Throughout his term as bishop, Maigret also raised the ceiling, added a choir loft and galleries overlooking the nave and paneled the ceilings with bronze ornaments. Extensive marble work was done with the installation of a French marble altar. It was crowned by a triptych featuring statues of Our Lady of Peace looked upon by Saint Joachim and Saint Anne. The most prominent exterior achievement for Maigret was the installation of the first domed bell tower in the Hawaiian Islands. In 1866, the domed bell tower was stripped from the exterior by Maigret and replaced with a wooden spire topped with a cross.
On December 24, 1893, Msgr. Gulstan Ropert dedicated a bronze statue of Our Lady of Peace, hoisted onto a pedestal with plaques on four sides engraved in English, French, Portuguese and Hawaiian with the words, "In memory of the first Roman Catholic Church, Our Lady of Peace 1827 to 1893." The statue was a recreation of an original 16th century wooden carving still venerated in the Paris convent of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary.
When Libert Hubert John Louis Boeynaems inherited the church as corporation sole, he idealized the Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace to possibly become a beautiful Gothic cathedral similar to the more famous European churches of his homeland. He commissioned the renovation of the cathedral; its first phase was the construction of an elaborate porch at the cathedral facade. The first phase was completed in 1910. In 1917, Boeynaems stripped the wooden spire from the exterior in favor of a concrete bell tower with clock. The Gothic architecture did not match the Fort Street surroundings and became too costly for the apostolic vicariate to complete other phases. The Gothic dream died with Boeynaems.
When Stephen Peter Alencastre assumed the episcopacy of the Hawaiian Islands, he stripped the Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace of all vestiges of its Gothic experiment. The Gothic porch was torn down, and the walls were covered in plaster and painted white. Red Spanish terra cotta tiles covered the cathedral roof. In anticipation for the celebration of the centennial of the arrival of the first Roman Catholic missionaries to the Hawaiian Islands, the Italian government presented a gift of a new white marble altar with statues of the Blessed Virgin Mary and Saint Joseph, parents of Jesus. Upon the completion of his construction projects, Alencastre established the Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace's present-day Romanesque revival style.
The first pipe organ, installed shortly after the cathedral was built, came from France and had one manual and a pedal clavier. The second organ, installed in 1885, was built in England as the gift of parishioner Godfrey Rhodes, featuring great, swell, and pedal organs. The large statue of Saint Cecilia, patroness of sacred music, was placed on the casing in front of the organ in 1906. Because of wear, the Vicariate decided to move the 1885 instrument next door to the Columbus Welfare Building for use during choir rehearsal. A new instrument, the third and present one, consisting of great, swell, choir, and pedal organs was installed in the choir loft by organ-builder Alfred G. Tickner of the Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company of Boston. This instrument was solemnly blessed on September 9, 1934, by Msgr. Stephen Alencastre, followed by a dedicatory recital by organist Don George, broadcast over radio station KGU in Honolulu.
The liturgical reforms of the 1960s and 1970s inaugurated major changes in the architectural standards of churches worldwide. James Joseph Sweeney, first Bishop of Honolulu and United States delegate to the ecumenical council that met in the Basilica of Saint Peter at the Vatican City, instituted one of the last renovations of the Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace in accordance with guidelines agreed upon with other bishops. Sweeney ordered the removal of the marble communion rails and installed a freestanding marble altar that faced the congregation. The canopied pulpit that was perched above the congregation was also removed in favor of a simple ambo and lectern from which the Gospels could be proclaimed and homilies and sermons could be delivered. The wooden cross atop the old altar was stripped and replaced with a sculptured marble crucifix. The ideology of the time encouraged churches to use native cultural implements in church architecture. Sweeney's cathedral rector, Monsignor Charles Kekumano, installed koa wood wainscot along the walls. The Cathedral's doors were also replaced by heavy koa wood doors.
Changes begun by Sweeney were completed under Joseph Anthony Ferrario, third Bishop of Honolulu. Ferrario also inaugurated the beginning phases of ambitious restoration work. His cathedral rectors, Monsignor Terrence A. M. Watanabe and his successor Nathan Mamo, were responsible for sending the clerestory statues of saints perched over the nave of the church back to France where they were professionally preserved. When the statues returned, they were installed above the nave of the church but in a new, more logical order of placement in accordance with the Litany of the Saints.
Francis Xavier DiLorenzo, fourth Bishop of Honolulu continued his predecessor's ambitious renovation projects. Architects were hired to draft plans for an expansion of the Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace, including the construction of a new chapel using land upon which the famous courtyard statue of Our Lady of Peace now stands. DiLorenzo's capital improvement projects, administered by his cathedral rectors Gary Secor and later Roland Pacudan, included the replacement of the flooring with stone tiles and installation of new sound systems. Pews and kneelers were restored, also. A traditional baptismal font was replaced with the construction of a large baptismal reflective pool and fountain.
A $13–16M campaign to renovate, restore, and renew the Cathedral Basilica was initiated by the current Bishop Clarence Silva and Cathedral Basilica rector John Berger around 2010. The overarching theme for the building committee has been to capture the essence of St. Damien de Veuster, restoring the Cathedral Basilica to appearance of the later 1800s. The "renewal" project also includes installing replica paintings of the Stations of the Cross that were present in the Cathedral Basilica during the time period of St. Damien, new wooden pews and restoring the seating to the ad orientem arrangement, "gas lighting" chandeliers, replacing the pipe organ (the oldest in the state), and landscaping around the roughly 15,000-square-foot building, which sits on about a quarter-acre of land. There are plans to build a new chapel on the property that will house the relics of both St. Damien de Veuster and St. Marianne Cope, whose mortal remains were enshrined at the Cathedral on July 31, 2014. In addition to the superficial physical changes to the external and internal appearance of the Cathedral Basilica, plans for the restoration include fixing the church foundation, an air conditioning system, controlling possible termite damage again in the future, a sound system, and a lighting system.
The Most Rev. Clarence Richard Silva, fifth Bishop of Honolulu, is the current pastor. He is currently served at the Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace by the cathedral rector, the Very Rev. Gary Secor, V.G., who in turn is assisted by the parochial vicar, the Rev. Marvin Samiano, J.C.L. A member of the laity is appointed as pastoral associate and manages the church services, parish council and rectory. Several retired priests in residence at the Chancery and the adjacent Century Square building often administer the sacraments of the Eucharist and reconciliation during the week.
The church at 1175 Fort Street Mall is just one building in a larger Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady Peace campus, owned by the Diocese of Honolulu and purchased during the Hawaiian Kingdom Era from Charles Brewer, Charles Reed Bishop, Julius Anthon, Joseph Carter, Alexander Muir, James Makee and Romila Whiting. Much of the land was formerly used as a boarding and day school in the late 1800s – the predecessor institution of Saint Louis School. The campus includes the Chancery building at 1184 Bishop Street, from which the Bishop of Honolulu administers his executive powers as corporation sole. The Chancery also houses the offices of the vicar general and the Hawaiʻi Catholic Herald newspaper. The same high-rise building also houses the rectory, the office and residence of the rector, the parochial vicar and other priests serving the Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace.
The diocese has leased some of the campus to commercial entities. The Century Square building, a modern skyscraper at 1188 Bishop Street, is rented as office and residential space. Among its tenants is the television studio of KIKU, the local UPN television network affiliate. The parish hall is the "Kamiano Center", in honor of Father Damien de Veuster. Also part of the campus is the Finance Factors building at 1164 Bishop Street. The diocese provides space to small businesses as offices and to Hawaiʻi Pacific University as classrooms. The parent company of Finance Factors is a minority owner of the land on which the building was constructed. Directly beneath the campus is a cavernous basin dug by early missionaries as a freshwater well. It is now leased to a private company which operates it as an underground public parking lot.
Abraham Armand was a priest of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, a religious institute of the Roman Catholic Church. He was one of the first Catholic missionaries to arrive in the Kingdom of Hawaii, arriving in 1827 in the company of Alexis Bachelot, Patrick Short and six lay brothers. He became instrumental in the establishment of the Hawaii Catholic Church.Apostolic Prefecture of the Sandwich Islands
The Prefecture Apostolic of the Sandwich Islands or the Sandwich Isles Mission (Latin: Praefectura Apostolica Sandwigiensis in Oceania), was an ecclesiastical territory of the Roman Catholic Church created by Pope Leo XII on November 27, 1825, encompassing the Sandwich Islands (now the state of Hawai‘i) and entrusted to the care of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary. Father Alexis Bachelot, SS.CC., was the only Prefect. The Prefecture was made subject to the newly created Vicariate Apostolic of Oriental Oceania on June 2, 1833. The present-day successor to the prefecture is the Diocese of Honolulu.Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace, La Paz
The Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace (Spanish: Catedral Basílica de Nuestra Señora de La Paz), also called La Paz Cathedral, is a cathedral and minor basilica is located in Murillo Square in the city of La Paz in Bolivia. It was built in 1835 with a neoclassical architecture with Baroque elements. It has an interior consisting of five naves with different layers.
The first cathedral of La Paz was completed in 1692 after 70 years of construction; the first building was made of stone, lime and brick. In 1831 it was decided to demolish it due to the collapse of his presbytery and several cracks that threatened its collapse. The construction of the current cathedral began on March 24, 1835; it was inaugurated in 1925, marking the first centenary of the founding of the Republic of Bolivia. Although it opened that year, its interior ornamentation still continued until 1932.
In 1989, its two lateral towers were opened, this event coinciding with the visit of Pope John Paul II.Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace, Lomas de Zamora
The Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace (Spanish: Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Paz) also called Lomas de Zamora Cathedral It is a Catholic church located in the central square of the city of Lomas de Zamora, in Argentina under the patronage of Our Lady of Peace.
Its terrain, like the Grigera Square and the Municipality, was donated by Victorio Grigera in 1860. The first phase of construction started on January 16 of that year, by the Nicolás and José Canale architects. The cornerstone of the building was laid by Bartolomé Mitre. Its opening was completed on January 22, 1865, while construction of the transept, the dome and the current sanctuary began in 1898, under the supervision of the architects Juan Ochoa and Domingo Selva, concluding on January 24, 1900.To mark its centenary, in 1965, it was declared a Minor Basilica by Pope Paul VI.Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace, Potosí
The Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace (Spanish: Catedral Basílica de Nuestra Señora de La Paz) also called Potosí Cathedral It is a minor basilica and cathedral with baroque and neoclassical colonial influence. It has a stone facade and is located in the 10 de Noviembre Square in the center of this Bolivian city. It was built between 1808–1838 on the site where the old church collapsed in 1807. Its main promoter was the Fray Manuel Sanahuya.
In the nineteenth century on the site was working with the neoclassical style, leaving us among other works, his exemplary maximum, the new main church, Basilica today for the years 1808–1836, whose author was the Spanish, Franciscan Friar and architect Manuel de Sanahuja, who introduced the neoclassical style in Potosi, simultaneously to the Cathedral did other work both religious and civil architecture. He moved to La Paz, where he died in 1834.Charles Kekumano
Charles Kekumano (1919–1998) was a Roman Catholic priest from Hawaii. He is considered the first ordained Native Hawaiian priest.Clarence Richard Silva
Clarence Richard Silva (born August 6, 1949), popularly known as Larry Silva, is a bishop of the Roman Catholic Church. He is the fifth Bishop of Honolulu, appointed by Pope Benedict XVI on May 17, 2005, to oversee the Diocese of Honolulu. Previous to his appointment to the epicopacy, he served as a diocesan priest and later vicar general of the Diocese of Oakland in California. He is the first person born in Hawaii to lead the Roman Catholic community of the Hawaiian Islands. He is also the second person of Portuguese ancestry to serve the community as its ordinary.
As Bishop of Honolulu, Silva has his liturgical and canonical seat or cathedra at the Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace; he also has a cathedra at the Co-Cathedral of Saint Theresa of the Child Jesus in Kapālama. At both of the above cathedral churches, rectors and parochial vicars administer the daily liturgical and pastoral work. The bishop's administrative offices are located in the Bishop Street chancery.Co-Cathedral of Saint Theresa of the Child Jesus (Honolulu, Hawaii)
The Co-Cathedral of Saint Theresa of the Child Jesus is a cathedral of the Roman Catholic Church and its Diocese of Honolulu. Located in the outskirts of downtown Honolulu, Hawaii. It was named in honor of the Saint Theresa of Lisieux.
The original church parish was established in 1931 by Msgr. Stephen Alencastre, Vicar Apostolic of the Hawaiian Islands. Construction was completed only a year later, in September 1932. Reflecting the growth of Catholicism in the immediate community, then pastor and diocesan vicar general Msgr. Benedict Vierra led a major fundraising effort to replace the church's wooden structure, showing signs of deterioration in 1956. Vierra's efforts were successful and the renovated church was dedicated on August 15, 1963.
Having found a need to have a larger space for pontifical liturgies - since the Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace had become too small to accommodate the increased population since the vicariate apostolic was elevated to a diocese - Bishop Joseph Ferrario petitioned Pope John Paul II in 1984 to elevate Saint Theresa church to the dignity of a co-cathedral, as it is larger in physical size as a church than the principal Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace. A papal decree elevating Saint Theresa Catholic Church to co-cathedral was issued and the church was consecrated on July 28, 1985. Its interior was reconfigured and a second cathedra for the bishop was placed in the church.
The Co-Cathedral of Saint Theresa of the Child Jesus is most often used for pontifical liturgies such as the annual Mass of the Chrism during which the holy oils (oil of the sick, oil of catechumens, and the holy Chrism) used in several of the sacraments are consecrated by the bishop before being distributed to the parishes of the diocese. Ordinations and episcopal installations are sometimes celebrated at the co-cathedral.James Joseph Sweeney
James Joseph Sweeney (June 19, 1898 – June 19, 1968) was an American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church. He was the first Bishop of Honolulu, serving from 1941 until his death in 1968.List of cathedrals in Bolivia
This is the list of cathedrals in Bolivia.Louis Désiré Maigret
Louis Désiré Maigret, SS.CC., (September 14, 1804 – June 11, 1882), served as the first vicar apostolic of the Vicariate Apostolic of the Sandwich Islands; now the Roman Catholic Diocese of Honolulu. Born in Saint-Pierre-de-Maillé (France), Maigret was ordained to the priesthood as a member of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary on September 23, 1828 at the age of 24. As part of his missionary work, Father Maigret sailed to the Kingdom of Hawaiʻi to l.p. build its Catholic community of native Hawaiians.
The diocese sent him as a missionary to Pohnpei in Micronesia in December 1837 on the schooner Notre Dame de Paix. He was the first missionary they had seen. In his company were "several Mangarevans and Tahitians," some of whom remained on Pohnpei and left descendants. He departed on 29 July 1838 for Valparaiso after seven unsuccessful months.When the Vicar Apostolic of Oriental Oceania, Msgr. Etienne Jerome Rouchouze, SS.CC., was lost at sea on board the ill-fated Marie Joseph in early 1843, the Holy See appointed Father Maigret as the first vicar apostolic of the Sandwich Islands on September 11, 1846 at the age of 42. He was officially ordained as a bishop of the titular see of Arathia (Arad) on November 28, 1847 at the age of 43. As bishop Maigret oversaw the construction of what would become his most lasting legacy, the Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace.
After his death, Maigret was entombed in the crypt below the sanctuary.Maximin Alff
Reverend Maximin Alff, SS.CC., was born in Treves, Belgium, on 24 July 1866. He made his profession in the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary on 6 July 1867. He studied at the Catholic University of Leuven and was ordained to the presbyterate on 24 August 1890. He was subsequently appointed as professor of theology at Miranda de Ebro in Spain, from 1892 until 1894. He was then sent to the Vicariate Apostolic of the Hawaiian Islands, arriving in Honolulu on 25 October 1894. He served as parochial vicar in Kona, Kaua‘i, Hana and Wailuku. In 1912, he was elected provincial superior. He died on 1 January 1927 and was buried in the Honolulu Catholic Cemetery.Plaza Murillo
The Plaza Murillo is the central plaza of the city of La Paz and the open space most connected to the political life of Bolivia. Prominent buildings on the plaza include the Presidential Palace, National Congress of Bolivia, and the Cathedral of La Paz (or more formally, the Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace, La Paz). It is located in the old town, or Casco Viejo, of the city and is surrounded by Socabaya Street to the west, Ayacucho Street to the east, Comercio Street to the south, and a continuation of Ingavi and Ballivan Streets to the north.Roman Catholic Diocese of Honolulu
The Catholic Diocese of Honolulu, officially in Latin Dioecesis Honoluluensis, is an ecclesiastical territory or particular church of the Catholic Church in the United States. The diocese comprises the entire state of Hawaiʻi and the unincorporated Hawaiian Islands.The diocese is suffragan to and a part of the ecclesiastical province of the Metropolitan Archdiocese of San Francisco, which includes the suffragan dioceses of Las Vegas, Oakland, Reno, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Jose, Santa Rosa and Stockton. The patrons of the Diocese of Honolulu are the Blessed Virgin Mary, under the title of Malia O Ka Malu or Our Lady Queen of Peace, Saint Damien of Molokaʻi, and Saint Marianne of Molokaʻi.
The diocese is governed by the Bishop of Honolulu. His canonical seat or cathedra is located at the Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace. With his clergy, the bishop ministers to a culturally diverse population in the following languages: Hawaiian; English; Ilokano; Tagalog; Samoan; Tongan; Japanese; Korean; Spanish; and Vietnamese. It is one of the most diverse and one of the largest dioceses in the United States, in terms of territorial area which spans statewide and includes unpopulated Hawaiian Islands.Roman Catholic Diocese of Potosí
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Potosí (Latin: Dioecesis Potosiensis in Bolivia) is a diocese located in the city of Potosí in the Ecclesiastical province of Sucre in Bolivia.Roman Catholic Diocese of Tarija
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Tarija (Latin: Dioecesis Tariiensis) is a diocese located in the city of Tarija in the Ecclesiastical province of Sucre in Bolivia.Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church (Honolulu)
Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church is a Roman Catholic church in Honolulu, Hawaii. The church belongs to the East Honolulu vicariate of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Honolulu, and serves the Ala Moana, Ala Wai, Kapiolani, Kewalo, and McCully districts of the city.