Carisbrooke Priory

Carisbrooke Priory was an alien priory, a dependency of Lyre Abbey in Normandy. The priory was situated on rising ground on the outskirts of Carisbrooke close to Newport on the Isle of Wight.

In April 1993, the recently formed Carisbrooke Priory Trust purchased the freehold of the then St Dominic's Priory, Carisbrooke on the Isle of Wight, the home of a Catholic Community of nuns since the house was first built on the medieval site in 1866.

Coordinates: 50°41′10″N 1°18′29″W / 50.686°N 1.308°W

CarisbrookePriory New
Carisbrooke Priory

External links

Appuldurcombe House

Appuldurcombe House (also spelt Appledorecombe or Appledore Combe) is the shell of a large 18th-century baroque country house of the Worsley family. The house is situated near to Wroxall on the Isle of Wight, England. It is now managed by English Heritage and is open to the public. A small part of the 300-acre (1.2 km2; 0.47 sq mi) estate that once surrounded it is still intact, but other features of the estate are still visible in the surrounding farmland and nearby village of Wroxall, including the entrance to the park, the Freemantle Gate, now used only by farm animals and pedestrians.

Barton Priory

Barton Priory (or Burton Oratory) was a priory on the Isle of Wight, England.

Carisbrooke

Carisbrooke is a village on the south western outskirts of Newport, Isle of Wight and is best known as the site of Carisbrooke Castle. It also has a medieval parish church. St Mary's Church (overlooking Carisbrooke High Street with views to the castle), began life as part of a Benedictine priory, established by French monks about 1150. The priory was dissolved by King Henry V of England in 1415 during the French Wars. Neglect over the centuries took its toll, but in 1907 the church was restored to its full glory. Its most striking feature is the 14th century tower, rising in five stages with a turret at one corner and a battlemented and pinnacled crown.

There is a Roman Villa discovered in the Victorian era on the site of the old vicarage.

Francis Walsingham

Sir Francis Walsingham (c. 1532 – 6 April 1590) was principal secretary to Queen Elizabeth I of England from 20 December 1573 until his death and is popularly remembered as her "spymaster".

Born to a well-connected family of gentry, Walsingham attended Cambridge University and travelled in continental Europe before embarking on a career in law at the age of twenty. A committed Protestant, during the reign of the Catholic Queen Mary I of England he joined other expatriates in exile in Switzerland and northern Italy until Mary's death and the accession of her Protestant half-sister, Elizabeth.

Walsingham rose from relative obscurity to become one of the small coterie who directed the Elizabethan state, overseeing foreign, domestic and religious policy. He served as English ambassador to France in the early 1570s and witnessed the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre. As principal secretary, he supported exploration, colonization, the use of England's maritime strength and the plantation of Ireland. He worked to bring Scotland and England together. Overall, his foreign policy demonstrated a new understanding of the role of England as a maritime Protestant power with intercontinental trading ties. He oversaw operations that penetrated Spanish military preparation, gathered intelligence from across Europe, disrupted a range of plots against Elizabeth and secured the execution of Mary, Queen of Scots.

History of the Isle of Wight

The Isle of Wight is rich in historical and archaeological sites, from prehistoric fossil beds with dinosaur remains, to dwellings and artefacts dating back to the Bronze Age, Iron Age, and Roman periods.

Isle of Wight

The Isle of Wight (; also referred to informally as The Island or abbreviated to IoW) is a county and the largest and second-most populous island in England. It is in the English Channel, between 2 and 5 miles off the coast of Hampshire, separated by the Solent. The island has resorts that have been holiday destinations since Victorian times, and is known for its mild climate, coastal scenery, and verdant landscape of fields, downland and chines. The island is designated a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.

The island has been home to the poets Swinburne and Tennyson and to Queen Victoria, who built her much-loved summer residence and final home Osborne House at East Cowes. It has a maritime and industrial tradition including boat-building, sail-making, the manufacture of flying boats, the hovercraft, and Britain's space rockets. The island hosts annual music festivals including the Isle of Wight Festival, which in 1970 was the largest rock music event ever held. It has well-conserved wildlife and some of the richest cliffs and quarries for dinosaur fossils in Europe.

The isle was owned by a Norman family until 1293 and was earlier a kingdom in its own right. In common with the Crown dependencies, the British Crown was then represented on the island by the Governor of the Isle of Wight until 1995. The island has played an important part in the defence of the ports of Southampton and Portsmouth, and been near the front-line of conflicts through the ages, including the Spanish Armada and the Battle of Britain. Rural for most of its history, its Victorian fashionability and the growing affordability of holidays led to significant urban development during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Historically part of Hampshire, the island became a separate administrative county in 1890. It continued to share the Lord Lieutenant of Hampshire until 1974, when it was made its own ceremonial county. Apart from a shared police force, there is now no administrative link with Hampshire, although a combined local authority with Portsmouth and Southampton was considered, this is now unlikely to proceed.The quickest public transport link to the mainland is the hovercraft from Ryde to Southsea; three vehicle ferry and two catamaran services cross the Solent to Southampton, Lymington and Portsmouth.

List of English abbeys, priories and friaries serving as parish churches

Nearly a thousand religious houses; abbeys, priories and friaries were founded in England and Wales during the medieval period; accommodating monks, friars or nuns who had taken vows of obedience, poverty and chastity; each house being led by an abbot or abbess, or by a prior or prioress. By their foundation monasteries and nunneries (although not friaries) had acquired endowments of land, property and parochial tithes, and many had become further enriched through subsequent bequests and pilgrim donations. The majority of these houses had come into existence between the 11th and 13th centuries, but by the 14th century decline had set in, hastened by the Black Death in the middle of the century. Later medieval benefactors increasingly regarded charitable and educational establishments, parish and collegiate churches as more appropriate recipients of bequests and donations; and by the early 16th century some religious communities had become very small, and few were more than half full. In those years a number were amalgamated or dissolved through the initiatives of reforming bishops, the wealth released being used to endow grammar schools and colleges at Oxford and Cambridge Universities.The process that has come to be known as the Dissolution of the Monasteries began formally in 1536 following the Act for Suppression of the Lesser Monasteries. This transferred the lands and the property of religious houses with an income of less than £200 (equivalent to £120,000 in 2018) a year to the crown. The motives behind this are complex, and include Henry VIII's conflict with the popes over his desire for a divorce, which led to the foundation of the Church of England; and also Henry's ambition to increase the income of the crown. Under this first Act, about one-third of the religious houses were closed. This resulted in the rebellion known as the Pilgrimage of Grace. The rebellion failed, and the process of dissolution was extended; abbots, abbesses and priors were placed under increasing pressure and threats in order to persuade them to surrender their monasteries to the crown; four who refused being accused of treason and executed. The last religious house to close was Waltham Abbey in March 1540.The wealth and properties of the monasteries came into the ownership of the crown, although much was soon sold off; but what happened to the buildings of the abbeys, priories and friaries themselves varied. Most of them were immediately stripped of their valuable lead roofs, and fell into decay. Parts of some were converted into mansions by new owners. But, in around ten per cent of cases, former monastic churches or other buildings have continued in religious use for parochial worship. This was necessarily the case for that small number of religious houses where part already functioned as a full parish church, as at Wymondham Abbey. Secondly, there were a number of instances where wealthy parishes, or their benefactors, purchased a former monastic church as a replacement parish church building, as at Selby Abbey. Thirdly were those cases where part of a monastic church building was already in parochial use as a chapel of ease served by a stipendiary priest, in which case the dissolution commissioners would seek, if possible, for these clergy to continue as perpetual curates on fixed annual stipends charged against the former monastic endowments; with an appropriate portion of the monastic church retained for them to use. Priories of the Augustinian order, in particular, had been required by their rule to maintain a chapel of ease within their church for parochial worship, with the consequence that partial survival is more common for former Augustinian priory churches. Churches of dissolved friaries on the other hand, even though they had commonly served worshipping urban congregations, were rarely able to continue in parochial use as friaries lacked the foundation endowments from which a perpetual curacy might be established. Fourthly, former monastic structures that had fallen into ruin at the dissolution, or continued in secular use, were not infrequently brought back into use for parochial worship in later years out of subsequent private benefactions.

Ten medieval English cathedrals had been 'monastic', in that they had been simultaneously abbeys, and eight of these (Bath and Coventry being the exceptions) were refounded as secular cathedrals by Henry VIII. A further six former abbeys were raised to be cathedrals of newly created dioceses. Other former abbeys and priories became parish churches; of which two, Saint Albans and Southwark have become cathedrals since, while both also continuing to serve their respective parishes. In some cases the whole of a former monastic church continued as a parish church; ranging from survivals of near cathedral scale, as at Sherborne Abbey, to very modest chapels such as Aconbury Priory. More commonly it is only parts of the original church that survived in parochial use, now incorporated into the fabric of a continuing church or chapel; as for example the north aisle of the nave of Wroxall Priory. At Beaulieu Abbey, it is the refectory that has been so converted. In a few cases, such as Tilty Abbey, the gatehouse chapel, the capella ante portas, now forms the parish church. Where former monastic churches were maintained after the dissolution as chapels of ease with their clergy as perpetual curates, in almost all instances these chapels will have been raised to full parish church status in the course of the 19th century.

117 former monastic buildings in England that have continued to function as parish churches or chapels of ease since the dissolution of the monasteries are included in this list, including some whose monastic functions had ceased much earlier; and also some whose conversion to parochial use happened in recent centuries. Churches are only listed where they maintain in situ at least some substantial elements of their former monastic fabric, the extent of which is noted. Excluded are those former monastic churches that have never functioned for parochial worship, including some, such as the chapel of Jesus College, Cambridge, that have remained otherwise in continuous religious use; and also those churches converted into cathedrals by Henry VIII. All these surviving monastic churches have been listed by English Heritage, most at Grade I, the others at Grade II* or II.

List of current places of worship on the Isle of Wight

As of 2017 there are more than 130 places of worship in use on the Isle of Wight, England's largest island. A wide range of Christian denominations are represented, and Muslims have a mosque in the island's main town of Newport. The diamond-shaped, 146-square-mile (380 km2) island lies in the English Channel, separated from the county of Hampshire by the Solent. Its population of around 140,000 is spread across several small towns and dozens of villages. Many of the island's churches and chapels are in the ancient ports of Yarmouth and Newport, the Victorian seaside resorts of Ryde, Sandown, Shanklin and Ventnor, and the twin towns of Cowes and East Cowes; but even the smallest villages often have their own Anglican parish churches and sometimes a Nonconformist chapel. Methodism has been particularly strong on the island for over 200 years, and two of England's oldest Roman Catholic churches are also located here.Sixty churches and chapels have been awarded listed status by Historic England or its predecessor organisations in recognition of their architectural and historical interest. These range from the large and ancient parish churches in villages such as Arreton, Brading and Carisbrooke to the thatch-roofed St Agnes' Church at Freshwater Bay and the concrete-framed St Faith's Church at Cowes—both of the early 20th century—and from the simple and plain Methodist chapel at Godshill to the elaborate Castlehold Baptist Chapel in Newport. A building is defined as "listed" when it is placed on a statutory register of buildings of "special architectural or historic interest" in accordance with the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990. The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, a Government department, is responsible for listing; Historic England, a non-departmental public body, acts as an agency of the department to administer the process and advise the department on relevant issues. There are three grades of listing status. Grade I, the highest, is defined as being of "exceptional interest"; Grade II* is used for "particularly important buildings of more than special interest"; and Grade II, the lowest, is used for buildings of "special interest". As of February 2001, there were 26 Grade I-listed buildings, 55 with Grade II* status and 1,823 Grade II-listed buildings on the Isle of Wight.Various administrative areas operated by the Church of England, the Roman Catholic Church, the United Reformed Church, Baptists and Methodists cover churches on the island which are part of their denominations. These areas include dioceses, archdeaconries, networks and circuits.

List of monastic houses in England

Monastic houses in England include abbeys, priories and friaries, among other monastic religious houses.

This article provides a gazetteer for the whole of England. Additionally, each county below provides links to the specific list for that county.

List of monastic houses on the Isle of Wight

The following is a list of monastic houses on the Isle of Wight in England.

Alien houses are included, as are smaller establishments such as cells and notable monastic granges (particularly those with resident monks), and also camerae of the military orders of monks (Knights Templars and Knights Hospitaller). The numerous monastic hospitals per se are not included here unless at some time the foundation had, or was purported to have the status or function of an abbey, priory, friary or preceptor/commandery.

The name of the county is given where there is reference to an establishment in another county. Where the county has changed since the foundation's dissolution the modern county is given in parentheses, and in instances where the referenced foundation ceased to exist before the unification of England, the kingdom is given, followed by the modern county in parentheses.

== Abbreviations and key ==

Locations with names in italics indicate probable duplication (misidentification with another location) or non-existent foundations (either erroneous reference or proposed foundation never implemented) or ecclesiastical establishments with a monastic appellation but lacking monastic connection.

The following location on the Isle of Wight lacks monastic connection:

Chale Abbey: a farm

== Related articles ==

Nunwell House

Nunwell House, also Nunwell Manor (also Nonoelle, 11th century; Nunewille, 12th century; Nunnewelle, 13th century), is a historic English country house in Brading, Isle of Wight. Located 3 miles (4.8 km) south of Ryde, the Tudor and Jacobean style house also has later additions. The house contains family militaria. It was occupied by the Oglander family from Norman times until 1980. Nunwell House is a Grade II* listed building.Nunwell House is situated to the northwest of Brading. Views of Brading harbour and St. Helens Road are visible from the house.

Quarr Abbey

Quarr Abbey (French: Abbaye Notre-Dame de Quarr) is a monastery between the villages of Binstead and Fishbourne on the Isle of Wight in southern England. The name is pronounced as "Kwor" (rhyming with "for"). It belongs to the Catholic Order of St Benedict.

The Grade I listed listed monastic buildings and church, completed in 1912, are considered some of the most important twentieth-century religious structures in the United Kingdom; Sir Nikolaus Pevsner described the Abbey as "among the most daring and successful church buildings of the early 20th century in England". They were constructed from Belgian brick in a style combining French, Byzantine and Moorish architectural elements. In the vicinity are a few remains of the original twelfth-century abbey.A community of fewer than a dozen monks maintains the monastery's regular life and the attached farm. As of 2013, the community provides two-month internships for young men.

Sheen Friary

Sheen Friary later also known as Richmond Priory (1414-1539) was a friary in Surrey, England, restored as a national gathering of Carthusians by Maurice Chauncy at Sheen under Mary I of England during part of her reign from 1553 to 1558.

St Cecilia's Abbey, Ryde

St Cecilia's Abbey, Ryde is an abbey of Benedictine nuns in the Isle of Wight, England.

Under the Patronage of the Sacred Heart

Founded in 1882 and dedicated to the Peace of the Heart of Jesus, St Cecilia's Abbey, Ryde, Isle of Wight, belongs to the Benedictine Order, and in particular to the Solesmes Congregation of Dom Prosper Guéranger. The nuns live a traditional monastic life of prayer, work and study in accordance with the ancient Rule of St Benedict.

As one of the institutes devoted 'entirely to divine worship in the contemplative life' (Vatican II, Perfectae Caritatis, 9) and following the tradition of Solesmes, St Cecilia's Abbey lays principal emphasis on the solemn celebration of the liturgy, with Mass and the Divine Office sung daily in Gregorian chant. The Second Vatican Council recognised the contemplative life as belonging 'to the fulness of the Church's presence' (Ad Gentes 18) and noted that such communities 'will always have a distinguished part to play in Christ's Mystical Body' (Perfectae Caritatis, 7). As Lumen Gentium (4) expressed it, 'For even though in some instances religious do not directly mingle with their contemporaries, yet in a more profound sense these same religious are united with them in the heart of Christ and co-operate with them spiritually.'

The Community's history has two sources:

the seventeenth century Belgian reform of Florence de Werquignoeul, and

the restoration of the monastic order at Solesmes in France by Dom Prosper Guéranger in the nineteenth century.Florence de Werquignoeul

With other great abbesses of that period, she helped to revive the order which was suffering from destruction without and from compromise within.

In 1604 Florence and four companions left the Cistercian house at Flînes for the purpose of observing the Rule in its entirety. She established the monastery of Paix Notre Dame at Douai in 1604. Foundations followed, and in 1627 another Paix Notre Dame grew up at Liège. In 1882 this house made a foundation at Ventnor on the Isle of Wight, dedicated to the Peace of the Sacred Heart, Pax Cordis Jesu. This is the origin of the present Community. At the request of the Bishop, it opened a small school for girls which flourished for some years but was given up in 1922 when the expanding community moved to the site at Appley Ryde, vacated by the return to France of the exiled nuns of the Abbey of Ste-Cécile de Solesmes.

Dom Prosper Guéranger

Dom Guéranger revived the Benedictine Order in France in 1833 where it had ceased to exist for forty-three years. He bought the Priory at Solesmes, which subsequently was raised to the range of Abbey by Pope Gregory XVI. In his last years, he oversaw, in collaboration with the first abbess, Mother Cécile Bruyère, the establishment of a community of women under the Rule of St Benedict at the abbey of Ste-Cécile de Solesmes.

Neither he nor Florence de Werquignoeul desired to create a new form of religious life but to return to an ancient but living tradition. For both, the return to Benedictine tradition could be accomplished only by the adoption and observance of the Rule: `It is by the Rule of St Benedict that we will be Benedictines,' wrote Dom Guéranger. For Florence, too, the Rule was the foundation of her reform, `the daily bread which had nourished in the past the fervour of all the saints in the rigour of monastic observance.'

French anti-clerical laws

Because of the anti-clerical laws of 1901, the nuns of the Abbey of Ste-Cécile de Solesmes had been obliged to leave France. They found a temporary home at Northwood House, a country house in Cowes on the Isle of Wight loaned to them by Mr Edmund Ward (son of William George Ward, one of the prominent figures of the Oxford Movement and a friend of Cardinal Newman). When it became clear that there would be no speedy end to the exile, the French nuns had to think of a more permanent home. They bought Appley House near Ryde. The Solesmes nuns erected cloisters and a church, designed by Edward Goldie (1856–1921), the son of the prolific Catholic architect George Goldie. The Church was solemnly dedicated to St Cecilia on 12 October 1907.

On the return of the nuns of Ste-Cécile to France in 1922 after 20 years of exile, the community of Pax Cordis Jesu at Ventnor acquired the vacant property at Appley that came to be known as St Cecilia's Abbey, Ryde.

In 1950, after more than half a century of close contact with that congregation, St Cecila's Abbey itself became part of the Solesmes Congregation.

Overseas

In 1967, the first Benedictine foundation for Indian nuns was made at Bangalore, South India, from St Cecilia's. Shanti Nilayam (House of Peace) was raised to an abbey in 1993 and has itself made several foundations. These houses belong to the 'Benedictine Confederation that has its centre at Sant' Anselmo in Rome.

Daily Life

The Community supports itself mainly through its production of altar breads, as well as in intellectual and artistic work (calligraphy, candles, etc.). Other manual work includes garden, orchard, and beekeeping.

In 1974, Pope Paul VI issued Jubilate Deo, a selection of plainchant pieces, to every bishop in the Church to encourage the singing of Simple Gregorian melodies in parishes. The Community recorded the chant to support this endeavour, in what was the first recording of nuns in the UK. Between 1980 and 1992, the Community produced nine more recordings of their chant.

St Cross Priory

St Cross Priory was an alien priory in Newport on the Isle of Wight, England. It was founded in about 1120 by monks from the Benedictine Abbey of Tiron. It was dissolved in 1391 when the priory was ceded to Winchester College. Thereafter, the buildings were repaired and a new water mill wheel was bought. Only ruins remain. The nearby St Cross Mill is a 19th-century structure built on the foundations of the monastic mill.

St Helen's Priory, Isle of Wight

St Helen's Priory was a priory in the Isle of Wight, England.

St Mary's Priory, Carisbrooke

St Mary's Priory, Carisbrooke was a priory in the Isle of Wight, England.

Thomas Fleming (judge)

Sir Thomas Fleming (April 1544 – 7 August 1613) was an English judge and politician who sat in the House of Commons at various times between 1581 and 1611. He was judge in the trial of Guy Fawkes following the Gunpowder Plot. He held several important offices, including Lord Chief Justice, Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer and Solicitor General for England and Wales.

Ventnor Priory

Ventnor Priory was a priory in the Isle of Wight, England.

Augustinian
Benedictine
Cistercian
Cluniac
Dominican Order
Savigniac
Tironensian Order
Benedictine abbeys and priories in medieval England and Wales
Independent
houses
Dependent
houses
Alien
priories

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.