Cannon Hall is a country house museum located between the villages of Cawthorne and High Hoyland some 5 miles (8 km) west of Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England. Originally the home of the Spencer and later the Spencer-Stanhope family, it now houses collections of fine furniture, paintings, ceramics and glassware. It at one time housed the Regimental Museum of the 13th/18th Royal Hussars (Queen Mary's Own) and the Light Dragoons, which has now closed. Now occupying four rooms in the east wing is the "Family of Artists" exhibition on loan from the De Morgan Foundation, which draws on the links between the Spencer Stanhopes and the De Morgans.
The building is constructed of coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings with a symmetrical layout of a central 3-storey block of 5 bays and slightly set back 2-storey side wings of 3 bays.
Although there was a house on the site when the Domesday Survey of 1086 was conducted, Cannon Hall picked up its current name from the 13th-century inhabitant Gilbert Canun. By the late 14th century Cannon Hall was in the ownership of the Bosville family of Ardsley, now a suburb in south-east of Barnsley. It was during this period that the most violent event in Cannon Hall's history took place. The Bosvilles had let the Hall out to a family (whose name has been lost), the daughter of whom was romantically involved with a man named Lockwood. Lockwood had been involved in the murder of Sir John Elland, the High Sheriff of Yorkshire. The tenant, afraid of the position in which he could find himself accommodating a fugitive, sent word to Bosville. Bosville's men arrived at Cannon Hall, where the fugitive was slain in a cruel and violent manner.
Cannon Hall's history settled down after this notably unpleasant episode. In 1660 the estate was purchased by John Spencer, a Welsh hay-rake maker. The Spencer family had arrived in Yorkshire from the Montgomeryshire in the Welsh borders, a safer place than Wales for those with Royalist sympathies such as those of the Spencers (John Spencer even managed to get a pardon from Charles II himself when John was held in York prison on manslaughter charges). The Spencer family became active in the local iron and coal industry - notably under John Spencer (died 1729) who took advantage of the death of his partners to establish control. The family built a huge empire and funding the rebuilding of Cannon Hall.
The core of the present Cannon Hall was built at the opening of the 18th century for John Spencer Stanhope, possibly by John Etty of York, more surely with interior joinery by William Thornton, another well-known local craftsman. It was enlarged with the addition of wings in 1764–67 by the premier mid-Georgian architect working in Yorkshire, John Carr. Subsequently the wings were heightened, giving the rather high-blocked mass seen today. The last member of the family, Elizabeth, sold the house to Barnsley Council in 1951.
Cannon Hall Museum opened to the public in 1957.
Cannon Hall Museum, park and gardens is owned and operated by Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council. The Hall has a programme of events, including the annual Regency Ball, a Christmas Fair each December and guided tours, workshops and children's activities throughout the year. A florist, plant and gift shop has also been recently established in the old potting shed outbuilding next to the walled garden.
The parkland surrounding the hall was landscaped in the 18th century by Richard Woods of Chertsey, and features acres of parkland, lakes, waterfalls, follies and vistas. The Victorian pleasure grounds are located close to the Georgian walled garden, which houses a collection of over forty varieties of pear trees, among other plants.
The central glasshouses rebuilt in the Victorian era also house the original Cannon Hall Muscat grapevine. Reputedly grown from a seed brought back from Greece by John Spencer Stanhope, the large white table grape has been cultivated extensively in California and Western Australia (local spelling, Canon Hall Muscat) and has acted as rootstock for a number of premium hybrid cultivars including the Japanese Pione grape.
In March 2016, Cannon Hall Museum and the De Morgan Foundation, a registered charity preserving the work of William De Morgan and Evelyn De Morgan, entered into a collaboration which saw the opening of the "Family of Artists" long-term exhibition in the east wing of the Museum.
Barnsley () is a town in South Yorkshire, England, located halfway between Leeds and Sheffield. Historically in the West Riding of Yorkshire, the town centre lies on the west bank of the Dearne Valley. Barnsley is surrounded by several smaller settlements which together form the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley, of which Barnsley is the largest and its administrative centre. At the 2011 Census, Barnsley had a population of 91,297.Barnsley is a former industrial town centred on linen in its former years and coal mining, glassmaking and textiles. The industries declined in the 20th century. Barnsley's culture is rooted in its industrial heritage and it has a tradition of brass bands, originally created as social clubs by its mining communities. It is also home of the Barnsley chop.
The town is accessed from junctions 36, 37 and 38 of the M1 motorway and has a railway station on the Hallam and Penistone Lines. Barnsley F.C. is the local football club, which has competed in the second tier of British football for most of its history. Barnsley F.C. also won the FA Cup in 1912.
The town of Barnsley also has a Women's Football Club which is in the fourth tier of Women's Football. Barnsley Women's Football Club was formed in 1982 and finished 4th in the FA Women's National League Division 1 North in the 2018/19 Season.Barnsley Archives and Local Studies
Barnsley Archives and Local Studies exists to preserve and make available the documentary heritage of the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley. The department has been based in Barnsley Town Hall since the opening of the Experience Barnsley Museum and Discovery Centre in 2013, made possible by Heritage Lottery funding. It is part of Barnsley Council's Arts, Museums and Archives Service. Prior to 2013, the department was based on the top floor of Barnsley Central Library in Shambles Street.
The Local Studies element of the Service dates back to the early days of the library service in Barnsley. However, Barnsley Archives was only set up in 1987, following the cessation of South Yorkshire County Council and with it the South Yorkshire County Record Office. Local Studies and Archives merged in 1998 to create Barnsley Archives and Local Studies. The department became a place of deposit for public records, appointed by the National Archives, in 2015.
The collections of the service cover the 12th to 21st centuries and include church registers, maps, title deeds, newspapers, business records, school records, trade directories and electoral registers. Flagship collections include the papers of the Spencer-Stanhope family of Cannon Hall, the records of the Barnsley Constabulary, Barnsley National Health Service archives and the papers of the late Barnsley MP Lord Roy Mason.
The manager of the service since 2007 has been Paul Stebbing, Barnsley's third archivist, following Ruth Vyse and Louise Whitworth.Cannon Hall, Hampstead
Cannon Hall at 14 Cannon Place, Hampstead, London is a grade II* listed building that dates from around 1720. The house is the former home of the actor Gerald du Maurier, his wife Muriel Beaumont, and their three children, the writers Angela du Maurier and Daphne du Maurier and the painter Jeanne du Maurier.Cannon Hall Farm
Cannon Hall Farm is a working farm and tourist attraction close to the village of Cawthorne, near Barnsley in the English county of South Yorkshire. Open to visitors since 1989, it is owned and run by the Nicholson family. The farm was voted Best Tourist Experience at the Welcome to Yorkshire White Rose Awards 2011.
Cannon Hall Farm was once the home farm for Cannon Hall, built by the Spencer-Stanhope family and now a museum. Roger Nicholson, who developed the current farm and attractions inherited the land when he was 16. The farm itself raises sheep, goats, and pigs, with over 750 lambs reared, and 400 ewes and 800 piglets produced annually. The site's visitor attractions include an adventure playground, large tube maze, farm shop, delicatessen, gift and toy shop, and restaurant.
In 2018, Cannon Hall Farm was featured on television programme, called "Springtime on the Farm", which was broadcast on Channel five, from 9 April 2018 to 13 April 2018.Cawthorne
Cawthorne is a village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley in South Yorkshire, England. The village was once the centre of a localised iron and coal mining industry, though today it is the centre of a very affluent commuter belt, west of Barnsley. At the 2001 census it had a population of 1,108, increasing to 1,151 at the 2011 Census.The village has a choral society, a brass band, a museum, a stately home (Cannon Hall), and a Young Farmers Club. The local charitable club, Cawthorne wives holds meetings and raises money for local and national charities. Young people are catered for by the Grass Roots drama club which produces an annual play ranging from comedy to Shakespeare. Every four years the village produces a Community Drama in the grounds of Cannon Hall involving the band, choral society and 100 actors from the village. In 2000 this was One Breath and in 2004 Time and Chance. The village pub, the Spencer Arms is named from the village's association with the Spencer-Stanhope family who once owned large swathes of the local area. Their family home was Cannon Hall, the park of which borders the village. Cannon Hall is now a museum run by Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council. Nearby visitor attractions include Cannon Hall Farm.
Two earlier residences in Cawthorne were Barnby Hall, home of the Barnby family, and Banks Hall, the seat of the Misses Spencer-Stanhope and of a branch of the Greene family.Cawthorne is frequented by ramblers as many excellent walking routes start from the village.The Victoria Jubilee Museum, built to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, was opened in 1889 and contains numerous unusual exhibits including a stuffed cheetah and a two-headed lamb.All Saints Church overlooks the village, and there is a Methodist church on Darton Road. All Saints contains memorials to the Barnby and Spencer families, among others.De Morgan Foundation
The De Morgan Foundation is a charity registered with The Charity Commission For England And Wales, Registered Charity No. 310004.The charitable objects of the Foundation are to safeguard, maintain and make available to the public the De Morgan Collection of paintings, ceramics, and other works of art made by Evelyn De Morgan and by William De Morgan and his associates, and other works of art in the collection, and to promote the appreciation of art and education in art and allied subjects.Gertrude Spencer-Stanhope
Gertrude Spencer-Stanhope (1857–1944) was an English sculptor and painter. She was the niece of John Roddam Spencer-Stanhope and the cousin of Evelyn Pickering de Morgan, both of whom were noted pre-Raphaelite painters.James Cosmo Melvill
Sir James Cosmo Melvill KCB FRS (8 June 1792 – 23 July 1861) was a British administrator who served as the last secretary of the East India Company.John Roddam Spencer Stanhope
John Roddam Spencer Stanhope (20 January 1829 — 2 August 1908) is an English artist associated with Edward Burne-Jones and George Frederic Watts and often regarded as a second-wave pre-Raphaelite. His work is also studied within the context of Aestheticism and British Symbolism. As a painter, Stanhope worked in oil, watercolor, fresco, and mixed media. His subject matter was mythological, allegorical, biblical, and contemporary. Stanhope was born in Yorkshire, England, and died in Florence, Italy. He was the uncle and teacher of the painter Evelyn De Morgan.Kendra Haste
Kendra Haste (born 1971) is a British wildlife sculptor who produces both public and privately commissioned sculpture using galvanised chicken wire mesh to create wire sculptures of wild animals. She is a member of the Society of Wildlife Artists, the Royal British Society of Sculptors and the Society of Animal Artists. She lives in Surrey, UK.Listed buildings in Sheffield S17
This is a list of listed buildings in the S17 district of Sheffield, in England. This includes the areas of Bradway, Dore and Totley. It also includes a small area of Derbyshire, around Owler Bar.
For neighbouring areas, see listed buildings in S7, listed buildings in S8, listed buildings in S11, listed buildings in S18 and listed buildings in S32.Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley
The Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley is a metropolitan borough of South Yorkshire, England; its main town is Barnsley.
The borough is bisected by the M1 motorway; it is rural to the west, and largely urban/industrial to the east. 68% of Barnsley's 32,863 hectares is green belt and 9% is national park land, the majority of which is West of the M1. In 2007 it was estimated that Barnsley had 224,600 residents, measured at the 2011 census as 231,221. nine tenths of whom live east of the M1.
The borough was formed under the Local Government Act 1972, by a merger of the county borough of Barnsley with Cudworth, Darfield, Darton, Dearne, Dodworth, Hoyland Nether, Penistone, Royston, Wombwell and Worsborough urban districts, along with Penistone Rural District, part of Hemsworth Rural District and part of Wortley Rural District, all in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
The borough now forms part of both the Sheffield City Region and the Leeds City Region.Noah Thomas
Sir Noah Thomas FRS FRCP (1720 – 17 May 1792) was a Welsh physician who was physician-in-ordinary to King George III. He was a fellow of the Royal Society and the Royal College of Physicians, and a Gulstonian lecturer.Thomas was born in Neath, Glamorganshire, the son of Hophni Thomas, master of a merchant vessel. He was educated in Oakham, Rutland, and St John's College, Cambridge.Thomas was the occupant, in 1780, of Cannon Hall, Hampstead.He was knighted in 1775. He died in Bath, Somerset in 1792.Penistone and Stocksbridge (UK Parliament constituency)
Penistone and Stocksbridge is a constituency in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament created in 2010. As with all constituencies, adults qualifying to vote in the seat (its electorate) elect one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election at least every five years.Pione (grape)
Pione (ピオーネ pione) is a large-berried, purple skinned, table and rosé wine grape variety that has been grown in Japan since 1957.Spencer-Stanhope family
Spencer-Stanhope is the family name of British landed gentry who for 200 years held Cannon Hall, a country house in South Yorkshire that since the 1950s has been a museum. The hyphenated form of the name is more common in British orthography, but American sources often omit the hyphen and alphabetize by "Stanhope."Totley
Totley is a suburb on the extreme southwest of the City of Sheffield, in South Yorkshire, England. Lying in the historic county boundaries of Derbyshire, Totley was amalgamated into the city of Sheffield in 1933, and is today part of the Dore and Totley electoral ward in the city, though it remains close to the contemporary county boundary of Derbyshire. Totley had a population of 7,963 in 2011. Totley was shown at the 2011 census as being part of the ward of Dore and Totley.
Totley was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Totinglee, the name meaning a forest clearing belonging to Tota (probably the Saxon lord). Totley Hall, built in 1623 and enlarged in the 19th century, was converted to a teacher training college in the 1950s and was latterly part of Sheffield Hallam University.
Through the district run the Totley Brook and the Old Hay Brook, which are the two sources of the River Sheaf. Totley also lends its name to Totley Tunnel, the longest underland rail tunnel in the United Kingdom. This takes the Sheffield to Manchester line from Totley underneath the Totley Moor to Grindleford in Derbyshire.Walter Spencer-Stanhope (1749–1822)
Walter Spencer-Stanhope (4 February 1749 – 10 April 1822), of Horsforth and Leeds, Yorkshire, was a British industrialist whose family fortune had been made through the iron trade, and a politician who sat in the House of Commons for various constituencies between 1775 and 1812.Woodland Ferry
Not to be confused with Woodland fairy.The Woodland Ferry, historically known as Cannon's Ferry, is a cable ferry located in western Sussex County, Delaware, spanning the Nanticoke River at Woodland, Delaware, west of the city of Seaford. The ferry is operated year-round by the Delaware Department of Transportation. It is closed on national holidays of Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Year's Day, and also as required by weather.