Campden Hill is a hill in Kensington, West London, bounded by Holland Park Avenue on the north, Kensington High Street on the south, Kensington Palace Gardens on the east and Abbotsbury Road on the west. The name derives from the former Campden House, built by Baptist Hicks, 1st Viscount Campden whose country seat was Campden House in the Gloucestershire town of Chipping Campden.
The hill contains Holland Park, the former deer-park of Holland House, the remains of which important mansion house stand on the south-west corner of the hill. To the east of Holland House, the south-west side of the hill is characterized by large Victorian houses which are part of the Phillimore estate. Aubrey House is situated on top of Campden Hill. Campden Hill Square on the north-west side is formed of large Regency houses.
The small street called Campden Hill runs from Campden Hill Road westward into Holland Park. It was built on part of the grounds of the former Bute House.
Bute House was built c.1812, and was named after the second Marquess of Bute who lived there from 1830 until 1842. The next occupant was Hon. William Sebright Lascelles, the brother of the third Earl of Harewood; his widow Lady Lascelles lived there until 1856. The sixth Duke of Rutland lived there from 1865 until his death in 1888. The last owner was Blundell Charles Weld, a Lancashire landowner, who renamed the house Blundell House. After he left the house in 1912 or 1913 it was demolished.
1 Campden Hill was built in 1915 by Colonel Edmond Hills, President of the Royal Astronomical Society and his wife Juliet, to the designs of Edward P. Warren. A street named Observatory Gardens is situated nearby. From the 1950s to 2001, it was the residence of the Ambassador of Uruguay and has since been marketed by the Phillimore Estate as a private home.
Campden Hill Gate, a mansion block of flats, was used for the filming of the ITV dramatization of the Agatha Christie short story, "The Adventure of the Cheap Flat" (1990) in their Agatha Christie's Poirot series. Earlier Campden Hill had been the setting for a popular mystery story by Victor Bridges: The Red Lodge: A Mystery of Campden Hill (1924).
Anna Maria Charretie, née Kennell (5 May 1819, Vauxhall – 5 October 1875, Campden Hill) was an English miniature painter and oil painter.Aubrey House
Aubrey House is a large 18th-century detached house with two acres of gardens in the Campden Hill area of Holland Park in west London, W8. It is a private residence.
Known for a long time as Notting Hill House, by the 1860s it had been named Aubrey House, after Aubrey de Vere who held the manor of Kensington at the time of the Domesday Book. The core of the house is thought to date to 1698; it was remodelled by Sir Edward Lloyd between 1745 and 1754. The house became a centre for radical thought and a haunt for political exiles in the 1860s under Clementia and Peter Alfred Taylor; Giuseppe Garibaldi stayed at the house in 1864 and meetings of the nascent British women's suffrage campaign were held at Aubrey House. The house served as a hospital during the First World War and later became the most expensive property ever sold in London upon its 1997 sale to the publisher and philanthropist Sigrid Rausing.Baron Phillimore
Baron Phillimore, of Shiplake in the County of Oxford, is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1918 for the former Judge of the High Court of Justice and Lord Justice of Appeal, Sir Walter Phillimore, 2nd Baronet. The Phillimore Baronetcy, of The Coppice, had been created in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom on 28 December 1881 for his father Sir Robert Phillimore, who was also a noted lawyer and judge. The first Baron was succeeded by his son, the second Baron.
On his death the titles passed to his grandson, the third Baron, his eldest son Captain the Hon. Anthony Francis Phillimore (d. 1940) having been killed in action during the Second World War. The third Baron was childless and was succeeded by his uncle, the fourth Baron. He was an architect.
As of 2016 the titles are held by his son, the fifth Baron, who succeeded in 1994. The fifth baron is a barrister who lives at Coppid Hall, Shiplake, Oxfordshire.Bedford Gardens, London
Bedford Gardens is a street in Kensington, London. It runs west-east from Campden Hill Road to Kensington Church Street.
The street was originally called Bedford Place. In 1824, William Hall the elder and William Hall the younger planned to build more or less identical late Georgian terraces on both sides of the street. Only the eastern halves were finished, due to the sudden death of William Hall the younger in 1829 or 1830. The western end was developed largely with semi-detached houses.Marie Rambert had a ballet school and studio there in 1920, and remained there until 1927, when she moved to the Mercury Theatre, Notting Hill Gate, which became the home of the Ballet Rambert until 1987. In the early 1980s, Roger Tully purchased Rambert's late nineteenth-century dance studio in Bedford Gardens.
Number 77 became a studio and living space for several artists; Robert Colquhoun, Robert MacBryde and John Minton, as well as Jankel Adler.Campden Hill Road
Campden Hill Road is a street in Kensington, London W8. It runs north to south from Notting Hill Gate to Kensington High Street.Craig Sams
Craig Sams FRSGS (born 17 July 1944) is a UK-based businessman and author.Embassy of Vietnam, London
The Embassy of Vietnam in London is the diplomatic mission of Vietnam in the United Kingdom. Vietnam also maintains a Commercial Section at 108 Campden Hill Road, Holland Park.Henry Foreman
Sir Henry Foreman OBE (1852 – 11 April 1924) was a British Conservative politician.The son of George Foreman of Campden Hill, Kensington, London, he became deeply involved in the municipal politics of Hammersmith. From 1913–1920 he was mayor of the Metropolitan Borough of Hammersmith, and was an alderman on the borough council from 1918.During the First World War Foreman was actively involved in recruiting for the British Army. As mayor of Hammersmith he was the honorary colonel and founder of the 20th London Cadet Corps and helped raise the 140th Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery and the 40th Divisional Ammunition Column. He also presented the Parkside Orthopaedic Hospital for Officers at Ravenscourt Park to the War Office. He was awarded the Order of the British Empire for his wartime services.At the 1918 general election he stood as the Coalition Conservative candidate contesting the newly created constituency of Hammersmith North. Foreman faced Liberal and National Party opponents. He was comfortably elected to become member of parliament for Hammersmith North, with a majority of 3,243 votes. He was knighted in 1921, for "municipal and local services". He was re-elected as a Conservative at the following election in 1922 with a majority of 2,903 votes over his Labour Party opponent, J P Gardner. A further general election was held in the following year on the issue of tariff reform, and Foreman took the opportunity to retire from politics.He died in April of the following year, and was buried at Margravine Cemetery.James South
Sir James South FRS FRSE PRAS FLS LLD (October 1785 – 19 October 1867) was a British astronomer.
He was a joint founder of the Astronomical Society of London, and it was under his name, as President of the Society in 1831, that a petition was successfully submitted to obtain a Royal Charter, whereupon it became the Royal Astronomical Society.Joseph Quick (engineer)
Joseph Quick (6 November 1809 Chelsea, London – 30 March 1894 Clapham Park) was an English civil engineer who was closely involved in improvements to water supply in the great industrial cities of the nineteenth century. Both his father and his son (author of The Water Supply of the Metropolis. London and New York: 1880) were also waterworks engineers by the name Joseph Quick.
On 28 March 1844, as engineer to the Southwark Waterworks, Quick was called to give evidence before the Health and Towns Commissioners of the British Parliament. Again after the 1848/49 outbreak of cholera in London, he was one of the advisors to the government to improve the London water supply infrastructure. One proposal was to have all intake of water from the Thames moved from the tidal Thames to up-river of Teddington Lock. The expert evidence heard by parliament led to the Metropolis Water Act (1852), as a result of which Quick was entrusted with the building of the new Hampton Waterworks, which he designed in an Italianate style.
Even before work at Hampton was complete, contamination of the water supply of the Southwark and Vauxhall Waterworks Company, providing water to the borough of Southwark, Battersea, and other locations in the vicinity, led to the 1853 cholera outbreak. A further cholera outbreak in Soho in 1854 added to the urgency. Both outbreaks were famously studied by Dr John Snow. The company’s new facilities up-river at Hampton (shared with two other water companies) only came into operation in 1855.
By 1851 Quick was also consulting engineer to the Grand Junction Waterworks Company. As such he bore responsibility for the water tower constructed in 1857-58 on Campden Hill, of which there is a well-known contemporary print, although he himself was not the designer.In 1857, together with Alexander Fraser, he was granted a patent for "improvements in apparatus for regulating the drawing off and supply of water and other fluids".Quick’s expertise as a waterworks engineer was such that together with his son he set up an international consultancy, and in the 1860s became involved in projects for the provision of modern water supplies in Amsterdam, Berlin, Saint Petersburg, Antwerp and Beirut. In St Petersburg the open filter method that proved highly successful in Amsterdam turned out to be entirely unsuitable to local climatic conditions.List of English Heritage blue plaques in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
This is a complete list of the 177 blue plaques placed by English Heritage and its predecessors in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
At inception in 1876 the scheme was originally administered by the Royal Society of Arts, being taken over by the London County Council (LCC) in 1901. The Greater London Council (GLC) took over the scheme in 1965 from its predecessor. Since the abolition of the GLC in 1986, the blue plaque scheme has been administered by English Heritage.Malcolm Macnaghten
Sir Malcolm Martin Macnaghten KBE, QC (12 January 1869 – 24 January 1955), was a Northern Ireland Unionist politician and judge, the fourth son of Lord Macnaghten, Bt..
Sir Malcolm was educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he was President of the Cambridge Union in 1890, he graduated with 1st class honours in history. He was a Cambridge Apostle; he became a Barrister at Lincoln's Inn in 1894, a Bencher in 1915 and King's Counsel (KC) in 1919.
Macnaghten sat as Member of Parliament for North Londonderry in 1922 and then for Londonderry from 1922 to 1929. He was Recorder of Colchester from 1924–1928, and a Judge of the High Court of Justice, King's Bench Division from 1928-1947.
He was knighted (KBE) in 1920 and appointed a Privy Counsellor in the 1948 New Year Honours. He was Commissary of the University of Cambridge from 1926. He married the daughter of social reformer Charles Booth and had three daughters, all of whom became socialists and married Communists including the artist Peter Laszlo Peri, and one son.
He kept a house at Campden Hill Court, London W8 and an Irish home - The End House, Portballintrae, Co. Antrim. Sir Malcolm died in January 1955, aged 86.Marie Brackenbury
Marie Venetia Caroline Brackenbury (1866–1950) was a British painter who was a militant suffragette and suffragette artist. She was jailed for demonstrating for women's rights. She followed Emmeline Pankhurst's lead as she became more militant (and lost former colleagues). Her home was known as "Mouse Castle" because it looked after recovering hunger strikers. The house now has a plaque which remembers the trio of her sister, her mother and Maria. She was the younger sister of Georgina Brackenbury, also a painter and militant suffragette.McGrigor baronets
The McGrigor Baronetcy, of Campden Hill in the County of Middlesex, is a title in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom. It was created on 30 September 1831 for James McGrigor. He was a military surgeon and for many years Director-General of the Army Medical Department. Charles Rhoderick McGrigor (1860–1927), second son of the second Baronet, was a Major-General in the Army and the father of Admiral of the Fleet Sir Rhoderick McGrigor. The sixth Baronet is a Conservative politician.Queen Elizabeth College
Queen Elizabeth College (QEC) had its origins in the Ladies' (later Women's) Department of King's College, London, England, opened in 1885. The first King's 'extension' lectures for ladies were held at Richmond in 1871, and from 1878 in Kensington, with chaperones in attendance.
In 1881, the Council resolved 'to establish a department of King's College, London, for the higher education of women, to be conducted on the same principles as the existing departments of education at this college'. By 1886, the King's College, London Ladies' Department had 500 students. In 1902 it became the King's College, London Women's Department and in 1908 King's College for Women. In 1907 lectures were given in subjects then thought to be specially relevant to women, such as 'the economics of health' and 'women and the land', and in 1908 systematic instruction in household and social sciences began.In 1915, the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women opened at Campden Hill Road, Kensington, while other departments were transferred to the Strand site. In 1928 the Department became completely independent as King's College of Household and Social Science, and in 1953 it received a royal charter, its name was changed to Queen Elizabeth College and men were admitted for the first time. The College became distinguished for its teaching and research in nutrition, physiology, hygiene and microbiology. It was recognised as a School of the University of London in 1956.
The original Campden Hill Road buildings combined both the lecture theatres, laboratories and library but also included the only Hall of residence – Queen Mary Hall. By the late 1960s the expansion of student numbers and the need for additional laboratory capacity necessitated the construction of a new Building – the Atkins building located on Campden Hill, behind the main college.Robert Howlett
Robert Howlett (born 3 July 1831 in Theberton, Suffolk, and died at 10 Bedford Place, Campden Hill, Kensington, London on 2 December 1858), was a pioneering British photographer whose pictures are widely exhibited in major galleries. Howlett produced portraits of Crimean War heroes, genre scenes and landscapes. His photographs include the iconic picture of Isambard Kingdom Brunel which was part of a commission by the Illustrated Times ) to document the construction of the world's largest steamship, the SS Great Eastern.He exhibited at the London Photographic Society and published “On the Various Methods of Printing Photographic Pictures upon Paper, with Suggestions for Their Preservation.” He worked in partnership with Joseph Cundall at "The Photographic Institution" at New Bond Street, London.Howlett made photographic studies for the artist William Powell Frith's painting of Derby Day which was exhibited at the Royal Academy of Art.Howlett was commissioned by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert to photograph the frescoes in the new drawing-room at Buckingham Palace, make copies of the paintings by Raphael and make a series of portraits called 'Crimean Heroes' which was exhibited in 1857 the Photographic Society of London's annual exhibition.Howlett died in 1858, aged 27. His death was apparently due to typhoid (rather than as a result of over-exposure to dangerous chemicals, as was suggested by some at the time, a myth that has continued to this day). The Illustrated Times praised him as "one of the most skillful photographers of the day".Prints from Howlett's photographs were published posthumously by his late partners Cundall & Downes under their own name, and by the London Stereoscopic and Photographic Company.St Sarkis, Kensington
St Sarkis (Armenian: Լոնդոնի Սուրբ Սարգիս հայկական եկեղեցի) is an Armenian church and a Grade II* listed building in Iverna Gardens, Kensington, London, England. It was constructed in 1922–23 by Calouste Gulbenkian as a memorial to his parents, and the architect was Arthur Davis. The largest Armenian church in the United Kingdom—St Yeghiche, a converted Anglican church—is in South Kensington.William Thomas Blanford
William Thomas Blanford CIE (7 October 1832 – 23 June 1905) was an English geologist and naturalist. He is best remembered as the editor of a major series on The Fauna of British India, Including Ceylon and Burma.Windsor Castle, Kensington
The Windsor Castle is a Grade II listed public house at 114 Campden Hill Road near Holland Park, London.It is on the Campaign for Real Ale's National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors.It was built about 1826, remodelled in 1933, and the architect is not known.