Burlington is a city in Burlington County, New Jersey, United States and a suburb of Philadelphia. As of the 2010 United States Census, the city's population was 9,920, reflecting an increase of 184 (+1.9%) from the 9,736 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn declined by 99 (−1.0%) from the 9,835 counted in the 1990 Census.
Burlington was first incorporated on October 24, 1693, and was reincorporated by Royal charter on May 7, 1733. After American independence, the city was incorporated by the State of New Jersey on December 21, 1784. On March 14, 1851, the city was reincorporated and enlarged with portions of the surrounding township.
Burlington was originally the county seat of Burlington County. In 1796, in response to the growth of population to the east away from the Delaware River, the county seat was moved to Mount Holly Township, a more central location.
Burlington, New Jersey
|City of Burlington|
The High Street Historic District in Burlington
The City of Burlington highlighted in Burlington County. Inset map: Burlington County highlighted in the State of New Jersey.
Census Bureau map of Burlington, New Jersey
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Formed||October 24, 1693|
|Royal charter||May 7, 1733|
|Incorporated||December 21, 1784|
|Reincorporated||March 14, 1851|
|Named for||Bridlington, England|
|• Type||Faulkner Act (Mayor-Council)|
|• Body||City Council|
|• Mayor||Barry W. Conaway (D, term ends December 31, 2019)|
|• Administrator||David H. Ballard|
|• Municipal clerk||Cindy A. Crivaro|
|• Total||3.782 sq mi (9.793 km2)|
|• Land||3.063 sq mi (7.932 km2)|
|• Water||0.719 sq mi (1.861 km2) 19.00%|
|Area rank||306th of 566 in state|
28th of 40 in county
|Elevation||10 ft (3 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Rank||245th of 566 in state|
15th of 40 in county
|• Density||3,239.1/sq mi (1,250.6/km2)|
|• Density rank||204th of 566 in state|
10th of 40 in county
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern (EDT))|
|GNIS feature ID||0885174|
The council of West Jersey Proprietors purchased roughly 30 miles (48 km) of riverfront land in 1676 from the Lenape Native Americans. Burlington was founded on part of that land by English settlers (primarily Quakers) in 1677. It served as the capital of the province until 1702, when West Jersey and East Jersey were combined into a single Crown Colony.
Burlington takes its name (including the county name) from the English east-coast town of Bridlington, of which Burlington was a district. It is now amalgamated into the larger Bridlington town.
The Quakers formally established their congregation in 1678. Initially, they met in private homes; between 1683 and 1687, Francis Collings constructed a hexagonal meeting house of brick. Over the next century, the membership grew substantially and a larger building was needed. The present meeting house on High Street was built in 1783 in front of the old meeting house and cemetery. The cemetery predated the first building. A tablet commemorates that the Lenape chief King Ockanickon, a loyal friend of the English settlers, was buried here in 1681. The oldest gravestone is inscribed "D.B. 1726." Many notable Quakers are buried here.
One of the oldest buildings in Burlington is known as the Revell House. Originally built in 1685 for George Hutchinson, it stood on East Pearl Street. The property was purchased by Thomas Revell, one of the original Anglo-European settlers. Local tradition associates this house with the young Benjamin Franklin, who received gingerbread from the household while traveling from Boston to Philadelphia.
Many institutions established in the 18th century continue to function in the 21st century. After the Quakers, the second oldest religious congregation in Burlington were the Anglicans (later known as Episcopalians). Their original church, Old St. Mary's, is the oldest church in Burlington and New Jersey. The congregation was founded in 1702 by George Keith and John Talbot. Talbot became the first minister and laid the cornerstone for the church in 1703. He served as the church's rector until 1725. The congregation prospered, and the church became the see of the Anglican bishops of New Jersey.
After the Revolution, the Episcopal Church in the United States was established. In 1846, under the leadership of Bishop and Rector George Washington Doane, construction was begun on New St. Mary's. This early Gothic Revival architecture church was designed by Richard Upjohn, who also designed Trinity Church at the foot of Wall Street in Lower Manhattan. In the late 20th century, this building was designated as a National Historic Landmark (NHL).
Bishop Doane founded an Episcopal girls' boarding school, St. Mary's, in Burlington in 1838, at a time when interest in girls' education led to development of schools for them in many areas. Girls from families up and down the East Coast came to study there, from as far as New England, Virginia, and upstate New York. St. Mary's provided a classical education, as well as classes in arts and music.
The Library Company of Burlington was organized in 1757 as a "free" library open to the public as well as members. There were 60 members of the original Library Company, each paying ten shillings per year to support the institution. The Library received a Charter from King George II of Great Britain in 1758. The Library's books were kept in members' homes for a few years: Thomas Rodman's at 446 South High Street and, after 1767, Robert Smith's at 218 High Street. In 1789 the Library moved to its own building. In the early 21st century, the Library is housed in a stone building that was built on West Union Street in 1864. The Burlington Library is the oldest continuously operating library in New Jersey and the nation's seventh oldest.
The Endeavor Fire Company was organized in 1795. It was one of the four companies in the Burlington Fire Department when it was organized almost a century later. Endeavor was the first permanent firefighting organization in Burlington and remains one of the oldest fire companies under its original name in the state. By 1882, the company had relocated to its present building, which was erected in 1852 as a Market House.
Burlington has been the home of many notable people including John Lawrence, a politician and his son, Captain James Lawrence. The elder Lawrence served in the State Assembly, as Mayor of Burlington, New Jersey in 1769, and as a member of the Provincial Council from 1771 to 1775. He was suspected of being loyal to the British during the Revolution, which ended his career. His son was born on October 1, 1781, and became a legend during the War of 1812 with the command "Don't Give Up the Ship." Lawyer and writer, James Fenimore Cooper, who wrote The Last of the Mohicans, was also from Burlington. His father was a merchant there before buying land and developing Cooperstown, New York after the Revolution.
As education for girls and young women became emphasized in the 19th century, Bishop George Washington Doane founded St. Mary's Hall in 1937 in association with the Episcopal diocese as the first Episcopal boarding school offering a classical education for girls. In the 20th century, a boys' school was added. It is now known as Doane Academy and is a private, co-educational school for grades from Pre-K through 12th.
The building at 301 High Street houses the oldest continuously operating pharmacy in New Jersey. Originally a dwelling, the ground floor was converted to commercial use around 1845 by William Allinson, a druggist, local historian, and leading Quaker abolitionist. He used the building as a center of anti-slavery activity. John Greenleaf Whittier denounced slavery from the doorstep, and local tradition holds that fugitive slaves hid in tunnels under the building in their passage on the Underground Railroad. New Jersey ended slavery, but many fugitives wanted to go further north, beyond the reach of slave catchers.
During the 19th century, Burlington City was known for the quality and quantity of its manufacturing. The shoe industry rivaled shipbuilding and canning in prominence. The 1850 United States Census indicates that the largest number of men were employed in the shoe industry, followed closely by carpentry and bricklaying. J. Frank Budd got his start in the shoe business at a Burlington shoe company just after the Civil War. In 1887, J.F. Budd broke ground for a children's "shoeworks" at the corner of Penn and Dilwyn streets. The company employed approximately 325 people and operated six days a week for ten hours a day. The J.F. Budd Baby Shoe Company billed itself as the "largest baby shoe plant in the world."
The commercial activity provided revenues for the City's cultural activity. In 1839, a Lyceum was erected as a venue for lectures, concerts, and public meetings. It served in that capacity until 1851, when it was turned over to the city to be used as the City Hall. The municipal offices' move was concurrent with the adoption of a new City charter.
The Oneida Boat Club was organized in 1873 by a group of 10 members. It is named for one of the original Five Nations of the Iroquois Confederacy, based in New York. Over the next few years, membership in the club grew rapidly. In 1876, they dedicated their newly built clubhouse on the banks of the Delaware River at York Street. The Oneida is the oldest continuously operating boat club located on the Delaware River.
During the 19th century, the City of Burlington developed in a grid pattern from the main crossroads of High and Broad streets. Blocks of attached rowhouses built in the latest architectural style characterize the city as a 19th-century town. Ferries carried traffic across the Delaware River to Pennsylvania before bridges were built.
Burlington's waterfront park along the river was developed as a result of urban renewal and flood control projects in the late 1960s and 1970s. The shoreline improvements—revetments, walkways, etc.—span the city's Delaware riverfront from the Burlington-Bristol Bridge to Assiscunk Creek.
The remains of former waterfront industries, ferry terminals, and docks were demolished. Development of an open, grassy park with a tree-lined waterfront esplanade has reconnected city residents to the riverfront for recreation. This also ensures that business properties are not at risk during floods and reduces damages.
In this period, the United States federal and state governments began to value their historic assets more highly, and efforts were made to preserve structures that were significant to the layered history of places. In addition to recognition of individual structures, such as the National Historic Landmark St. Mary's Church, the city has two historic districts listed on the National Register of Historic Places, with multiple contributing buildings: the Burlington Historic District includes structures from both the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. It is adjacent to the city's High Street Historic District.
The Oneida Clubhouse narrowly escaped demolition during the urban renewal campaign. It was saved and renovated. As the new esplanade was built on fill that added land between the building and river's edge, it created a landlocked clubhouse for the boat club.
Burlington Coat Factory was founded in 1924 as a wholesaler of ladies' coats and outerwear. The modern company was formed in 1972 when Monroe Milstein purchased a warehouse in the outskirts of the city of Burlington. He started selling coats and outerwear there at discount prices. The company gradually added other apparel, including suits, shoes, and accessories, and has branched out to include baby items and linens, all at discount prices. The company's corporate headquarters was moved from the city to Burlington Township in 1988. The Burlington Coat Factory relocated to a new store site in the fall of 2008.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city had a total area of 3.782 square miles (9.793 km2), including 3.063 square miles (7.932 km2) of land and 0.719 square miles (1.861 km2) of water (19.00%).
Burlington borders Burlington Township in Burlington County and both Bristol and Bristol Township across the Delaware River in Pennsylvania. The Burlington-Bristol Bridge crosses the Delaware River, connecting Burlington to Bristol.
1850 1870 1880–1890
1930–1990 2000 2010
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 9,920 people, 3,858 households, and 2,438.256 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,239.1 per square mile (1,250.6/km2). There were 4,223 housing units at an average density of 1,378.9 per square mile (532.4/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 58.92% (5,845) White, 32.98% (3,272) Black or African American, 0.18% (18) Native American, 2.03% (201) Asian, 0.04% (4) Pacific Islander, 2.29% (227) from other races, and 3.56% (353) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.50% (645) of the population.
There were 3,858 households out of which 27.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 37.6% were married couples living together, 20.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.8% were non-families. 30.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 13.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the city, the population was spread out with 23.9% under the age of 18, 8.6% from 18 to 24, 25.5% from 25 to 44, 26.4 % from 45 to 64, and 15.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38.9 years. For every 100 females there were 87.7 males. For every 100 females ages 18 and older there were 83.8 males.
The Census Bureau's 2006–2010 American Community Survey showed that (in 2010 inflation-adjusted dollars) median household income was $48,317 (with a margin of error of +/− $3,334) and the median family income was $62,049 (+/− $6,446). Males had a median income of $43,146 (+/− $7,469) versus $40,929 (+/− $3,562) for females. The per capita income for the borough was $24,612 (+/− $1,541). About 10.6% of families and 11.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.0% of those under age 18 and 7.4% of those age 65 or over.
As of the 2000 United States Census there were 9,736 people, 3,898 households, and 2,522 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,245.1 people per square mile (1,253.0/km2). There were 4,181 housing units at an average density of 1,393.6 per square mile (538.1/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 68.18% White, 26.62% African American, 0.27% Native American, 1.28% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 1.29% from other races, and 2.34% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.41% of the population.
There were 3,898 households out of which 27.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.6% were married couples living together, 17.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.3% were non-families. 29.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.9% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 29.8% from 25 to 44, 21.8% from 45 to 64, and 16.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 90.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $43,115, and the median income for a family was $47,969. Males had a median income of $38,012 versus $28,022 for females. The per capita income for the city was $20,208. About 5.4% of families and 8.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.2% of those under age 18 and 7.0% of those age 65 or over.
The City of Burlington is governed within the Faulkner Act (formally known as the Optional Municipal Charter Law) under the Mayor-Council form of municipal government (Plan 4), implemented based on the recommendations of a Charter Study Commission as of January 1, 1992. The governing body consists of a mayor and a seven-member Common Council, all elected on a partisan basis in a vote held as part of the November general election. The Mayor serves a four-year term of office. The Common Council consists of seven members, each serving four-year terms of office: three at-large Councilpersons are elected to represent the entire City. Four are elected from single-member districts, known as wards. The three at-large and mayoral seats are up for election in one cycle, and the ward seats are elected two years later.
As of 2016, the Mayor of Burlington City is Democrat Barry W. Conaway, whose term of office ends December 31, 2019. Members of the City Council are Council President Suzanne Woodard (At-Large; D, 2019), Vice President David Babula (At-Large; D, 2019), George Chachis (Ward 1; D, 2017 – appointed to serve an unexpired term), Helen F. Hatala (Ward 3; D, 2017), Ila Marie Lollar (Ward 4; D, 2017), Jeanette M. Mercuri (At-Large; D, 2019), Thomas J. Swan (Ward 2; R, 2017).
In January 2016, the City Council appointed George Chachis to fill the Ward 1 seat expiring in 2017 that had been held by Barry Conaway until he was appointed as mayor.
Prior to the 2010 Census, Burlington City had been part of the 4th Congressional District. Based on the 2010 census and population changes, the New Jersey Redistricting Commission changed the boundaries, to take effect in January 2013. 
For the 116th United States Congress, New Jersey's 3rd Congressional District is represented by Andy Kim (D, Bordentown). New Jersey is represented in the United States Senate by Democrats Cory Booker (Newark, term ends 2021) and Bob Menendez (Paramus, term ends 2025).
For the 2018–2019 session (Senate, General Assembly), the 7th Legislative District of the New Jersey Legislature is represented in the State Senate by Troy Singleton (D, Palmyra) and in the General Assembly by Herb Conaway (D, Moorestown) and Carol A. Murphy (D, Mount Laurel). The Governor of New Jersey is Phil Murphy (D, Middletown Township). The Lieutenant Governor of New Jersey is Sheila Oliver (D, East Orange).
Burlington County is governed by a Board of chosen freeholders, whose five members are elected at-large in partisan elections to three-year terms of office on a staggered basis, with either one or two seats coming up for election each year; at an annual reorganization meeting, the board selects a director and deputy director from among its members. As of 2018, Burlington County's Freeholders are Director Kate Gibbs (R, Lumberton Township, term as freeholder and as director ends December 31, 2018), Deputy Director Linda Hughes (R, Evesham Township, term as freeholder and as deputy director ends 2018) Tom Pullion (D, Edgewater Park, 2020), Balvir Singh (D, Burlington Township, 2020), and Latham Tiver (R, Southampton Township, 2019). Burlington County's Constitutional Officers are County Clerk Tim Tyler (R, Fieldsboro, 2018), Sheriff Jean E. Stanfield (R, Westampton, 2019) and Surrogate Mary Ann O'Brien (R, Medford, 2021).
As of March 23, 2011, there were a total of 5,765 registered voters in Burlington City, of which 2,813 (48.8% vs. 33.3% countywide) were registered as Democrats, 795 (13.8% vs. 23.9%) were registered as Republicans and 2,150 (37.3% vs. 42.8%) were registered as Unaffiliated. There were 7 voters registered to other parties. Among the city's 2010 Census population, 58.1% (vs. 61.7% in Burlington County) were registered to vote, including 76.4% of those ages 18 and over (vs. 80.3% countywide).
In the 2012 presidential election, Democrat Barack Obama received 3,138 votes here (72.0% vs. 58.1% countywide), ahead of Republican Mitt Romney with 1,146 votes (26.3% vs. 40.2%) and other candidates with 35 votes (0.8% vs. 1.0%), among the 4,356 ballots cast by the city's 6,097 registered voters, for a turnout of 71.4% (vs. 74.5% in Burlington County). In the 2008 presidential election, Democrat Barack Obama received 3,285 votes here (69.9% vs. 58.4% countywide), ahead of Republican John McCain with 1,308 votes (27.8% vs. 39.9%) and other candidates with 55 votes (1.2% vs. 1.0%), among the 4,697 ballots cast by the city's 6,117 registered voters, for a turnout of 76.8% (vs. 80.0% in Burlington County). In the 2004 presidential election, Democrat John Kerry received 2,819 votes here (64.2% vs. 52.9% countywide), ahead of Republican George W. Bush with 1,486 votes (33.8% vs. 46.0%) and other candidates with 37 votes (0.8% vs. 0.8%), among the 4,390 ballots cast by the city's 5,832 registered voters, for a turnout of 75.3% (vs. 78.8% in the whole county).
In the 2013 gubernatorial election, Republican Chris Christie received 1,422 votes here (50.9% vs. 61.4% countywide), ahead of Democrat Barbara Buono with 1,284 votes (46.0% vs. 35.8%) and other candidates with 30 votes (1.1% vs. 1.2%), among the 2,793 ballots cast by the city's 6,115 registered voters, yielding a 45.7% turnout (vs. 44.5% in the county). In the 2009 gubernatorial election, Democrat Jon Corzine received 1,622 ballots cast (59.6% vs. 44.5% countywide), ahead of Republican Chris Christie with 881 votes (32.4% vs. 47.7%), Independent Chris Daggett with 129 votes (4.7% vs. 4.8%) and other candidates with 48 votes (1.8% vs. 1.2%), among the 2,723 ballots cast by the city's 6,010 registered voters, yielding a 45.3% turnout (vs. 44.9% in the county).
The City of Burlington Public School District serves students in pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade. The district is one of 31 former Abbott districts statewide, which are now referred to as "SDA Districts" based on the requirement for the state to cover all costs for school building and renovation projects in these districts under the supervision of the New Jersey Schools Development Authority.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the district and its five schools had an enrollment of 1,634 students and 171.9 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 9.5:1. The schools in the district (with 2014-15 enrollment data from the National Center for Education Statistics) are Elias Boudinot Elementary School (93 students; in grades K-2), Captain James Lawrence Elementary School (173; PreK-2), Samuel Smith Elementary School (318; PreK-2), Wilbur Watts Intermediate School (413; 3-6) and Burlington City High School (705; 7-12). The district's high school serves as a receiving school for students in grade nine through twelve from Edgewater Park Township, as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Edgewater Park School District.
Students from Burlington City, and from all of Burlington County, are eligible to attend the Burlington County Institute of Technology, a countywide public school district that serves the vocational and technical education needs of students at the high school and post-secondary level at its campuses in Medford and Westampton Township.
Doane Academy, a co-educational, Episcopal college-preparatory school, was founded as St. Mary's Hall, a boarding school for girls, by George Washington Doane in 1837. The name was shortened from St. Mary's Hall-Doane Academy in March 2008. All Saints Catholic Grade School (Pre-K though 8th grade) closed in June 2006 with several other Catholic schools in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Trenton due to low enrollment, after 75 years of operation, based on recommendations issued in 2005 to help improve diocese finances.
As of May 2010, the city had a total of 42.76 miles (68.82 km) of roadways, of which 35.71 miles (57.47 km) were maintained by the municipality, 4.36 miles (7.02 km) by Burlington County, 2.30 miles (3.70 km) by the New Jersey Department of Transportation, and 0.39 miles (0.63 km) by the Burlington County Bridge Commission.
Burlington is served directly by U.S. Route 130 and New Jersey Route 413. Interstate 95, Interstate 295 and the New Jersey Turnpike all pass fairly close to the city and are easily accessible from Burlington.
The Burlington-Bristol Bridge, part of Route 413, crosses the Delaware River, connecting Burlington to Bristol Township, Pennsylvania, and is operated by the Burlington County Bridge Commission. Construction of the bridge started on April 1, 1930, and the bridge opened to traffic on May 1, 1931. The bridge carries NJ 413 and Pennsylvania Route 413.
The NJ River Line light rail system provides transportation between the Trenton Transit Center in Trenton and the Walter Rand Transportation Center (and other stations) in Camden, with stops at Burlington South and Burlington Towne Centre.
People who were born in, residents of, or otherwise closely associated with Burlington include:
Albert McCay (1901–1969) was a Republican Party politician who served in the New Jersey General Assembly from 1944 to 1948 and in the New Jersey Senate from 1952 to 1960.
Born in Philadelphia, McCay was raised in Mansfield Township, Burlington County, New Jersey and Burlington, New Jersey. McCay graduated from the Temple University Beasley School of Law in 1929. He lived with his wife and children in Palmyra, New Jersey and then Delanco Township, New Jersey.Burlington City High School
Burlington City High School is a six-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in seventh through twelfth grade in Burlington, in Burlington County, New Jersey, United States, as part of the City of Burlington Public School District. Burlington City High School serves as the receiving school for students in grade nine through twelve from Edgewater Park, as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Edgewater Park School District. The school is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools.Grades 7 and 8 are housed in a separate area of the building set-aside for them, and referred to as the "House", or Junior School. The House offers a curriculum designed for this age group, along with co-curricular activities appropriate for these students. Grades nine through twelve are accredited by the New Jersey Department of Education.
As of the 2015-16 school year, the school had an enrollment of 712 students and 79.9 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 8.9:1. There were 365 students (51.3% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 51 (7.2% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.Burlington Historic District (Burlington, New Jersey)
The Burlington Historic District in Burlington, New Jersey, is a historic district bounded by the Delaware River and High, West Broad, Talbot, and Reed streets; it is listed on state and federal registers of historic places. The oldest boyo in Burlington County and one of the oldest residences in New Jersey, the Revell House, is a contributing property. St. Mary's Episcopal Church, built in 1703 and the oldest church in New Jersey, is also within the district and has separate status as a National Historic Landmark. This district is adjacent to the city's High Street Historic District.Charles Hall (American football)
Charles C. Hall (December 23, 1875 – December 26, 1945) was an American football coach. He was the head football coach at Kalamazoo College in Kalamazoo, Michigan, serving for four seasons, from 1897 to 1900, and compiling a record of 21–6–3.East Burlington, New Jersey
East Burlington is an unincorporated community located within Burlington in Burlington County, New Jersey, United States.Eddie Miksis
Edward Thomas "Eddie" Miksis (September 11, 1926 – April 8, 2005) was an American professional baseball infielder and outfielder. He played fourteen seasons in Major League Baseball (MLB) between 1944 and 1958 for the Brooklyn Dodgers, Chicago Cubs, St. Louis Cardinals, Baltimore Orioles, and Cincinnati Reds.Eric Alejandro
Eric Javier Alejandro (born April 15, 1986) is an athlete representing Puerto Rico and competing mostly in the 400 meters hurdles. He was born in Burlington, New Jersey, United States. An alumnus of Eastern Michigan University, he represented Puerto Rico in the men's 400 meters hurdles in the 2012 Summer Olympics.Francis Barton Gummere
Francis Barton Gummere (b. Burlington, New Jersey March 6, 1855 - d. Haverford, Pennsylvania May 30, 1919) was an influential scholar of folklore and ancient languages, a student of Francis James Child.High Street Historic District (Burlington, New Jersey)
The High Street Historic District in Burlington, New Jersey, is a historic district listed on state and federal registers of historic places. It is adjacent to the city's Burlington Historic District. The district, which is a certified local district, comprises the buildings at 201–467 and 200–454 High Street and 13–37 and 10–22 East Broad. The boundary increase of 2014 includes the building at 6 West Pearl Street, a brewery building dating from 1682, now a residence.James Kinsey
James Kinsey (March 22, 1731 – January 4, 1802) was an American lawyer from Burlington, New Jersey.
Kinsey was born in Philadelphia on March 22, 1731. He attended the common schools, studied law, was admitted to the New Jersey bar in 1753 and practiced in the courts of Pennsylvania and New Jersey, with residence in Burlington County, New Jersey. He was a member of the New Jersey General Assembly from 1772–1775, and was a member of the committee of correspondence for Burlington County in 1774 and 1775. He was a member of the Continental Congress from July 23, 1774, until his resignation effective November 22, 1775. He was appointed Chief Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court on November 20, 1789, and served until his death. Kinsey also served as a Member of the New Jersey Legislative Council representing Burlington County in 1791.
He died in Burlington on January 4, 1802, and was buried at Friends Burying Ground in Burlington, Section XVII, Number 1.James Walter Wall
James Walter Wall (May 26, 1820 – June 9, 1872) was an American politician who served as a United States Senator from New Jersey in 1863, a leader of the Peace movement during the American Civil War. A member of the Democratic Party, he was the son of U.S. Senator Garret Dorset Wall.Joseph Bloomfield
Joseph Bloomfield (October 18, 1753 – October 3, 1823) was the fourth Governor of New Jersey. The township of Bloomfield, New Jersey is named for him.Joseph McIlvaine
Joseph McIlvaine (October 2, 1769 – August 19, 1826) was a United States Senator from New Jersey from 1823 until his death. He served as the Mayor of Burlington, New Jersey.Rod Streater
Rod William Streater (born February 9, 1988) is an American football wide receiver who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Temple University.St. Mary's Episcopal Church, Burlington, New Jersey
St. Mary's Episcopal Church is a historic Episcopal parish in Burlington, Burlington County, New Jersey, United States. The original church was built in 1703. It was supplemented with a new church on adjacent land in 1854. On May 31, 1972, the new church was added to the National Register of Historic Places and on June 24, 1986, it was declared a National Historic Landmark. It is within the Burlington Historic District.WIFI (AM)
WIFI (1460 AM) is a radio station broadcasting inspiration and gospel program. Currently the radio station is broadcasting 5,000-watt signal and is located in Burlington, New Jersey.
Signal has a broadcast range (map) that covers a local listening audience of 1.6 million+ from Northeast Philadelphia/Bucks County/Delaware River Basin to the Jersey shore. The following towns also receive our local signal: Cherry Hill, Trenton, Mt. Holly, Medford, Burlington, Delran, Mt. Laurel, Willingboro, Levittown, Bristol and Bensalem, plus many more.William Coxe Jr.
William Coxe Jr. (May 3, 1762 – February 25, 1831) was a pioneer pomologist and a U.S. Representative from New Jersey. He served as Mayor of Burlington, New Jersey.William H. Wells
William Hill Wells (January 7, 1769 – March 11, 1829) was a lawyer and politician from Dagsboro, in Sussex County, Delaware. He was a member of the Federalist Party, who served in the Delaware General Assembly and as U.S. Senator from Delaware.William R. Rockhill
William R. Rockhill (February 10, 1793 – January 15, 1865) was a U.S. Representative from Indiana.
Born in Burlington, New Jersey, Rockhill attended the public schools.
He moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana, in 1822.
He engaged in agricultural pursuits.
He served as commissioner of Allen County, Indiana, in 1825 Justice of the Peace.
He served as member of the first city council of Fort Wayne and also city assessor.
He served as member of the State house of representatives 1834-1837.
He served in the State senate 1844-1847.
Rockhill was elected as a Democrat to the Thirtieth Congress (March 4, 1847 – March 3, 1849).
He resumed agricultural pursuits.
He was first married to Theodosia Richardson (1797–1833). Their daughter, Elizabeth (1816–1889), married Isaac DeGroff Nelson (1810–1891), and they were the parents of the famous Kansas City newspaper baron, William Rockhill Nelson (1841–1915). William Rockhill second marriage was to Elizabeth Hill (1820–1859) on 29 SEP 1848.
William R. Rockhill died at Fort Wayne, Indiana, January 15, 1865. He was interred in Lindenwood Cemetery.
Municipalities and communities of Burlington County, New Jersey, United States