Brondesbury (/ˈbrɒndzbəri/) containing Brondesbury Park is a predominantly suburban area of north west of London, England. Brondesbury begins 4 miles north west of Charing Cross. It is in the London Boroughs of Brent and as to a small part, in the south-east, in Camden. Due to the tube station (Kilburn) being 200 metres north of the station of its name, it increasingly tends to describe the purely residential streets to either side of Kilburn High Road and Shoot-up Hill which are sections of the Edgware Road particularly in the west, the site of its old manor. However east of that very old straight road is West Hampstead in traditional definitions and in the names of several organisations with premises carrying Hampstead-related names.
It was a rural area until several decades after the coming of the railway in the Victorian era. Housing began to be built in earnest across Brondesbury in the late 1860s to 1890s and it became desirable enough to retain a suburban layout and most of the associated original wave of house building. It has long had British, Irish, Jewish, black and south Asian communities. Brondesbury is a predominantly residential area. Demographically typical of inner London suburbs with fast public transport links, its proportion of retirees is between 37% and 52% of the national average across all the main electoral wards of which it forms a part.
One of the small station buildings of Brondesbury Park Station, higher than the line which is in cutting. It has small cornices at the hood of window height and a modillioned bulky cornice (ledge) above. It built in yellow-brown brick with complementary coloured red brick dressings.
Willesden Lane in Brondesbury
|Population||13,023 (Brondesbury & Brondesbury Park)|
|OS grid reference|
|Ceremonial county||Greater London|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Half of the area is Brondesbury Park ward, details of which are below:
|Status||Ward %||Borough %||National %|
|Looking After Home Or Family||4.8||5.9||4.9|
|Long-Term Sick Or Disabled||4.0||4.0||4.6|
Narrowly, most of the other half forms the north of Kilburn electoral ward, equivalent details of which are below:
|Status||Ward %||Borough %||National %|
|Looking After Home Or Family||4.7||5.9||4.9|
|Long-Term Sick Or Disabled||4.9||4.0||4.6|
Currently as the electoral wards are drawn about 20% of the area is in Queens Park ward. Its relevant statistics are as follows:
|Status||Ward %||Borough %||National %|
|Looking After Home Or Family||4.0||5.9||4.9|
|Long-Term Sick Or Disabled||3.4||4.0||4.6|
Willesden parish, which included Durand's estate at Twyford and Harlesden manor, was divided between eight variable, ecclesiastical prebends: East Twyford in the south-west, Neasden in the north-west, Oxgate in the northeast, Harlesden in the centre and south, and Chambers, Brondesbury, Bounds, and Mapesbury in the east.
The manor Brondesbury, Brands or Broomsbury almost certainly derived its name from Brand (seen in documents of about 1192 and 1215), sometimes confused with Brownswood in Hornsey of Roger Brun listed as prebendary of Brondesbury. The estate was held by the prebendaries until it was vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1840 under the Act of that year. In 1649 the parliamentary commissioners sold it to Ralph Marsh but it reverted at the Restoration (1660). The leasehold interest of Brondesbury was bought with what remained too of Bounds manor in 1856 and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners retained the freehold until the 1950s and 1960s.
Forty-year leases were made of Brondesbury to William Peter, gentleman of London, in 1538 and to Thomas Young, a Willesden yeoman, in reversion in 1566. In the first decade of the 17th century Young's widow and his daughter lived here. In 1615 the latter, Christian's estranged husband, Henry Shugborow, brought an action for possession against the executors, who had re-entered because the rent had not been paid and it had been sublet to one Marsh, 'an ancient tenant'. The estate was leased for lives in 1638 to Edward Roberts but Ralph Marsh, who in 1649 bought Brondesbury from the parliamentary commissioners, seems to have occupied the land. Thomas and Ralph Marsh were described as "of Brands" in 1679 and 1694 respectively. Ralph Marsh (d. 1709) in 1708 received a lease for lives. The estate was heavily mortgaged by the Marshes from 1725 and in 1749 Ralph Marsh sold the lease to John Stace, who obtained a new lease in 1757. Stace sold the lease in 1765 to Joseph Gibson, the undertenant, who obtained a new lease in 1769 and whose widow and son tried to sell the estate in 1778. In 1788 Lady (Sarah) Salusbury purchased the leasehold, and in 1799 she obtained a new lease for lives. Brondesbury thereafter passed through the same ownership as Bounds, Lady Salusbury obtaining possession (all other competing leases rendered inferior) in 1842.
A moated house as the manor house existed by 1538. It was described in 1649, probably with the remnants of the moat, and was depicted in 1749 as a large, apparently L-shaped building with a central cupola. It appears to have been rebuilt in the third quarter of the 18th century and by the time of Lady (Sarah) Salusbury was a three-storeyed villa with a central canted entrance bay rising the full height of the north front. A lower wing, presumably an addition, ran southward from the east end. In 1789 Humphry Repton landscaped roughly 10-acre (4.0 ha) of demesne grounds and William Wilkins supplied drawings for a Gothic seat. In his 'Red Book' Repton commented favourably on the hilltop site and enhanced the view towards London. The house and 23 acres, increased by 1834 to 53 acres, was occupied by Sir Coutts Trotter, Bt. (1804-36), Lady Trotter (1836-40), Lady (Elizabeth) Salusbury (1840-3), and Charles Hambro (1843-9). The house was extended westward and a semicircular bay was added to the south front in the early 19th century. By 1849 the demesne fell to 27 acres and the house, described in 1816 as being commodious yet having 'no regularity of architectural character' and in 1822 as an 'elegant seat', three-storeyed. It continued as a gentleman's residence under Mrs. Howard (1850-3), Henry Vallence (1853-6), Mrs. Geach (1856-61), John Coverdale (1862-7), and Thomas Brandon (1867-76), and in 1877 was offered for sale with 52 acres. After remaining empty it was leased as a school, to Margaret Clark (1882-98) and Lucy Soulsby (1898-1915). In 1891 the school added a classroom and dormitory block on the east and later a chapel beyond that. The house continued as a school until 1934 when, described as 'shabby-looking', it was bought by C. W. B. Simmonds, a builder, and was pulled down to make way for Manor Drive.
The Imperial Gazetteer of 1870-72 reads:
Christ Church, Willesden Lane, Brondesbury. Dist[rict] formed 1867 from St. Mary's under Dr. Charles W. Williams (d. 1889) and financed by his sisters. Declared a rectory...1868. Williams, patron and first rector, succeeded by son, Charles D. Williams 1889-1913. Patronage sold to parish c. 1930 and transferred to Lord Chancellor c. 1957. United with St. Lawrence's 1971. One asst. curate by 1896, two by 1926. High Church. Attendance 1903: 300 a.m.; 447 p.m [Sundays]. Limestone...in 13th century style by C. R. B. King: chancel, north tower and spire, nave, N. aisle, N. transept, and NW. porch 1866, S. aisle and S. transept 1899, choir vestry 1909. Damaged by land mine 1940, restored 1948. Missions: St. Lawrence (q.v.); Poplars Ave. c. 1918; Avenue Close 1903-39.
The 2014 Brent London Borough Council election took place on 22 May 2014 to elect members of Brent London Borough Council in London, England. The whole council was up for election and the Labour Party stayed in overall control of the council.2018 Brent London Borough Council election
The 2018 Brent London Borough Council election took place on 3 May 2018 to elect members of Brent London Borough Council in England. This was on the same day as other local elections.Arriva Rail London
Arriva Rail London is a train operating company owned by Arriva UK Trains that operates the London Overground concession.Brondesbury College
Brondesbury College for Boys is a selective independent school for boys situated in Brent, London, England. It was founded by Dr. Yusuf Islam (formerly the pop star Cat Stevens) in 1996, as part of the Waqf Al-Birr Educational Trust, to provide an education institution for young Muslim students in the United Kingdom. Brondesbury College performs well in Brent and also nationally with an 83% 5+ A* - C pass rate in GCSE as of 2014. BCB's current head master is Mr Amzad Ali, who succeeded Mr Salahuddin Clifton.
A 2012 Ofsted inspection awarded Brondesbury College as 'Good' in all inspected aspects. The inspection stated that "The English curriculum is a particular strength of the school but the focus of Quranic lessons is not always clear." Brondesbury college caters for years 7 to 11, primary school education is provided for at the government funded Islamia Primary School.Recently, the 2018 Ofsted inspection awarded Brondesbury College as 'Outstanding' in all aspects. One of the main points were that ''Leaders and trustees are highly ambitious for pupils and are determined that the school continues to improve. They ensure that all of the independent school standards are met''.Brondesbury F.C.
Brondesbury F.C. was an English association football club based in Brondesbury, London.Brondesbury Park
Brondesbury Park is a suburb and electoral ward of the London Borough of Brent. It is the part of Brondesbury which is not interwoven with Kilburn due to the naming of a major tube station (Kilburn) and is centred on Brondesbury Park railway station and the street, an avenue, which shares its name. The area has a number of open spaces, primarily: Queen's Park and Tiverton Green.Brondesbury Park railway station
Brondesbury Park railway station is a National Rail station in Brondesbury Park in the London Borough of Brent on the North London Line in Travelcard Zone 2 which is managed by London Overground. It is close to the Queen's Park area.Brondesbury railway station
Brondesbury is on the North London Line, on a viaduct crossing Kilburn High Road in the Brondesbury area of Kilburn in the London Borough of Brent in north-west London.
It is approximately 200 metres south-east of Kilburn station and half a mile north-west of Kilburn High Road station.
Ticket barriers are now in operation.Edgware Road Tube schemes
Edgware Road Tube schemes covers a number of proposals to build an underground railway in London, UK at the end of the 19th century. Each scheme envisaged building some form of rail tunnel along the Edgware Road in north-west London towards Victoria railway station.
These proposals were made at a time of intensive railway construction, following projects such as City and South London Railway. Like several other proposals at the time, such as the City and Brixton Railway, none of the Edgware Road schemes came to fruition.Giles, Giles and Fripp
Giles, Giles and Fripp were an English rock group, formed in Bournemouth, Dorset in August 1967. It featured brothers Michael Giles on drums and vocals, Peter Giles on bass guitar and vocals, and Robert Fripp on guitar. The band's music showed an eclectic mix of pop, psychedelic rock, folk, jazz, and classical influences. The group eventually evolved into pioneering progressive rock band King Crimson.Hounslow Hockey Club
Hounslow Hockey Club was a field hockey club based at Duke's Meadows, Chiswick, West London and was formed in 1901, initially playing at a variety of locations in the Hounslow Area until becoming a section of Hounslow Cricket and Sports Club, sited at Church Meadow in Hounslow West, circa 1923. The Ladies Hockey club formally became a member of Hounslow Cricket and Sports Club in 1925.
In 1936 the club merged with the Brondesbury Club, enabling access to fixtures with the leading teams in the sport. The resulting Hounslow and Brondesbury continued playing, with great success, until being disbanded during World War 2. The club re-started in 1945-46 as Hounslow Hockey Club, continuing to be based at Church Meadow until 1993, when the Club separated from Hounslow Cricket and Sports Club and relocated to Duke’s Meadow, where a purpose built water based synthetic pitch had been constructed.
During the period from the late 50’s onwards the men’s section became one of the premier hockey clubs in the country, with much success in the London League and subsequently, following its formation, in the National League. The Club also achieved great success in cup hockey, with multiple wins in the Hockey Association Cup and the European Cup in 1990.
The move to Duke’s Meadow provided access to a first class pitch and the success of the men’s 1st XI continued into the mid-nineties. However, during this period membership numbers of both men’s and women’s sections declined. Retirement of many key members of the men’s 1st XI, who could not be easily replaced, resulted in relegation through the leagues and loss of status, reinforcing the difficulty in recruiting new members.
In 2000-2001 season the club merged with Ealing Ladies Hockey Club to form Hounslow and Ealing Ladies Hockey Club but this failed to stem the gradual decline of the club. In 2005 the club went out of existence, with the men’s section joining Richmond Hockey Club and the women’s section merging with Barnes Hockey Club, playing for a period under the name of Barnes Hounslow and Ealing, before reverting to simply Barnes Hockey Club.Kensal Green
Kensal Green is an area in north-west London located in the London boroughs of Brent and Kensington & Chelsea. The surrounding areas are Harlesden to the West, Willesden to the north, Brondesbury and Queens Park to the east and Notting Hill and White City to the south. The areas of College Park and Ladbroke Grove are located in the London boroughs of Hammersmith & Fulham and Kensington & Chelsea respectively. The area has numerous transport links and is located close to the site of Old Oak Common.Kilburn tube station
Kilburn is a London Underground station at Brondesbury Park in north-west London. It is on the Jubilee line, between Willesden Green and West Hampstead stations and is in Travelcard Zone 2. The station is on the A5 Kilburn High Road or Shoot-up Hill, approximately 0.1 miles (0.16 km) north of Brondesbury station.
The station was first opened on the Metropolitan line in 1879 as part of an extension to Willesden Green. The two-track line through the station was quadrupled in the 1910s. After merging to form the London Passenger Transport Board in 1933, Metropolitan line services through the station was transferred to the Stanmore branch of the Bakerloo line, and was extensively rebuilt. This branch was then transferred again to the Jubilee line in 1979. The 1930s station building remains, and was refurbished in 2005. The station is now wheelchair accessible and has frequent train services to Central London.List of districts in the London Borough of Brent
This is a list of areas in the London Borough of Brent.
Postcode areas in Brent are HA, NW, and W.Middlesex County Cricket League
The Middlesex County Cricket League (MCCL) is the top level of competition for recreational club cricket in the historic county of Middlesex, England. In practical terms, this means it encompasses teams from North and West London. The league was founded in 1972, and since 1999 the top division of the Middlesex County Cricket League has been a designated ECB Premier League.Four MCCL clubs have won the ECB National Club Cricket Championship: Enfield (1988), Hampstead (1969), Southgate (1977), and Teddington (1989 and 1991). Ealing have also won the ECB National Club Twenty20 in 2011 and 2015.
The teams competing in the Premier Division in 2018 were: Brondesbury, Ealing, Finchley, Hampstead, Highgate, North Middlesex, Richmond, Shepherds Bush, Teddington, and Twickenham. The division was won by Richmond.Queens Park Community School
Queens Park Community School (commonly abbreviated to QPCS) is a secondary school and sixth form with academy status, located in Queen's Park, north west London, in the borough of Brent, England.West Hampstead interchange
West Hampstead interchange was a proposal by Chiltern Railways to connect three existing railway stations and two lines now without platforms, on West End Lane in West Hampstead in the London Borough of Camden in London, England. Although physically separate, they are near each other and the stations form a railway interchange. Two of the stations are part of the National Rail network and the third is on the London Underground.West Hampstead railway station
West Hampstead railway station is a London Overground station on the North London Line between Brondesbury and Finchley Road & Frognal in the London Borough of Camden and is in Travelcard Zone 2.
The station and all trains are operated by London Overground.Willesden
Willesden () is an area in north west London which forms part of the London Borough of Brent. It is situated 5 miles (8 km) northwest of Charing Cross. It was historically a parish in the county of Middlesex that was incorporated as the Municipal Borough of Willesden in 1933, and has formed part of the London Borough of Brent in Greater London since 1965. Dollis Hill is also sometimes referred to as being part of Willesden.
With its close proximity to affluent neighbourhoods Brondesbury Park, Queen's Park and Kensal Rise, the area surrounding Willesden Green station has seen increased gentrification in the past several years, with rapidly rising property prices. The Daily Telegraph called Willesden Green one of London's "new middle class" areas. The area has a population of 44,295 as of 2011 including the Willesden Green, Dollis Hill and Dudden Hill wards. Willesden Green has one of the city's highest Irish populations, and is also strongly associated with Latin Americans.Willesden is mostly in the NW10 postcode district, but part of it is in the NW2 postcode district.
Districts around Brondesbury
|Parks and open spaces|
|Tube and rail stations|