Broad Water, or Broadwater (Welsh: Aber Dysynni) is a salt water lagoon near Tywyn, Wales formed from the silted up estuary of the River Dysynni. In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the estuary was used by the shipbuilding industry, as small sailing ships were launched to carry peat from the local peat bogs. This industry was abandoned in the nineteenth century when the estuary became too silted up, forming the lagoon. The outflow of the lagoon flows beneath a railway bridge before entering Cardigan Bay.
Broad Water, looking north-east. The outflow is to the left.
|Primary inflows||River Dysynni|
|Primary outflows||Cardigan Bay|
Broadwater may refer to:
In people and things
Charles Arthur Broadwater (1840 - 1892), American businessman and banker
Chris Broadwater (born 1972), Louisiana politician
W. Craig Broadwater (1950 - 2006), a United States federal judge
USS Broadwater (APA-139)In the United States
Broadwater Energy - a proposed liquid natural gas terminal proposed for Long Island Sound
Broadwater County, Montana
Broadwater Development LLC, a casino holding companyIn England
Broadwater Farm, Tottenham, London
Broadwater Farm riot, 1985 race riots
Broadwater, West Sussex
River Broadwater, Berkshire
Broadwater School, Godalming
Broadwater Green, London
The Broad Water, an alternative name for Tixall Wide, StaffordshireIn Wales
Broad Water, a salt water lagoonIn Australia
Electoral district of Broadwater, Queensland
Gold Coast Broadwater
Broadwater National Park
Broadwater, New South Wales
Broadwater, Queensland, a locality in the Southern Downs Region near Stanthorpe
Broadwater, Western Australia, a suburb of BusseltonBrothers Water
Brothers Water is a small lake in the Hartsop valley, in the eastern region of the Lake District in England. Once called Broad Water, it lies at the northern end of Kirkstone Pass, affording picturesque views on the descent towards Patterdale. The name was changed in the 19th century after two brothers drowned there.
Dorothy Wordsworth, having left William Wordsworth sitting on Cow Bridge, walked beside the lake on 16 April 1802, commented on:
...the boughs of the bare old trees, the simplicity of the mountains, and the exquisite beauty of the path...the gentle flowing of the stream, the glittering, lively lake, green fields without a living creature to be seen on them.
The lake is not among the most popular of the National Parks, being shallow and full of reeds. Water lilies bloom in July, providing colour.
To the north-east of Brothers Water is the village of Hartsop, which has several 17th-century stone farm buildings and cottages. Some of the buildings still contain spinning-rooms where villagers would have made their own clothing, selling any surplus in the local market towns. The word Hartsop means "valley of the deer", which would have lived in the woodlands of the lower areas of the surrounding fells. A walk through woodland skirts the western shore. From its northern end the walk leads to Patterdale. Southward it heads over Kirkstone Pass to Ambleside.
On the western side of Brothers Water is Hartsop Hall. The 16th-century building passed to Sir John Lowther in the 17th century. The village of Hartsop lies near the northeast corner of the lake. Brothers Water may be classified in either of two ways: as one of the Lake District's smallest lakes or one of its largest tarns.
The lake is home to a trout population and harbours a rare species of fish, the schelly.Düsseldorf-Unterbach
Unterbach was a local borough of Erkrath, Germany, until 1975, when it became an urban borough of Düsseldorf in a local reorganisation. A portion of the pre-1975 Unterbach remains as the borough of Erkrath-Unterfeldhaus. The eastern end of the borough of Düsseldorf-Vennhausen was attached to Unterbach during the reorganisation since it was already culturally associated with Unterbach.Ennerdale Water
Ennerdale Water is the most westerly lake in the Lake District National Park in Cumbria, England. It is a glacial lake, with a maximum depth of 150 feet (45 metres), and is ½ mile to a mile (700 to 1,500 metres) wide and 2½ miles (3.9 kilometres) long.
The lake lies in the eponymous valley of Ennerdale, surrounded by some of the highest and best-known fells in Cumbria including: Great Gable (899 m), Green Gable, Brandreth, High Crag, Steeple and Pillar.
To the west of the lake lies the hamlet of Ennerdale Bridge, consisting of two pubs and a few houses. It is close to the port of Whitehaven.Hatfield House
Hatfield House is a country house set in a large park, the Great Park, on the eastern side of the town of Hatfield, Hertfordshire, England. The present Jacobean house, a leading example of the prodigy house, was built in 1611 by Robert Cecil, 1st Earl of Salisbury and Chief Minister to King James I, and has been the home of the Cecil family ever since. It is a prime example of Jacobean architecture. The estate includes extensive grounds and surviving parts of an earlier palace. The house, currently the home of Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, 7th Marquess of Salisbury, is open to the public.Lagoon
A lagoon is a shallow body of water separated from a larger body of water by barrier islands or reefs. Lagoons are commonly divided into coastal lagoons and atoll lagoons. They have also been identified as occurring on mixed-sand and gravel coastlines. There is an overlap between bodies of water classified as coastal lagoons and bodies of water classified as estuaries. Lagoons are common coastal features around many parts of the world.List of National Historic Landmarks in Montana
The List of National Historic Landmarks in Montana contains the landmarks designated by the U.S. Federal Government for the U.S. state of Montana. There are 28 National Historic Landmarks (NHLs) in Montana.
The United States National Historic Landmark program is operated under the auspices of the National Park Service, and recognizes structures, districts, objects, and similar resources nationwide according to a list of criteria of national significance.
The Montana landmarks emphasize its frontier heritage, the passage of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, Montana's contributions to the national park movement, and other themes.
Three sites in Montana extend across the Idaho or North Dakota state line, and are listed by the National Park Service as Idaho NHLs or North Dakota NHLs.Lowestoft
Lowestoft () is an English town and civil parish in the county of Suffolk. The town, on the North Sea coast, is the most easterly settlement of the United Kingdom. It is 110 miles (177 km) north-east of London, 38 miles (61 km) north-east of Ipswich and 22 miles (35 km) south-east of Norwich. It lies on the edge of The Broads system and is the major settlement in the district of East Suffolk, with a population of 71,010 in 2011. Some of the earliest evidence of settlement in Britain has been found here. As a port town it developed out of the fishing industry and as a traditional seaside resort. It has wide, sandy beaches, two piers and other attractions. While its fisheries have declined, oil and gas exploitation in the southern North Sea in the 1960s added to its development, as a base for the industry alongside nearby Great Yarmouth. This role has declined, but the town has begun to develop as an Eastern England centre of the renewable energy industry.Mark (dinghy)
The Mark is a single-hander class of small sailing dinghy. The design in plywood came from the pen of Billy Morton from Morton's Yacht Supplies, Priory Road, Hollywood, Belfast Northern Ireland. It first appeared in the 1964, in competition with the OK dinghy but before the Laser. At least 100 boats were built by Morton. Her performance is slower than an OK upwind due to her lighter weight (130lbs.) and shorter length. The Mark is 12 feet (3.7 m) in length, with forward and side buoyancy compartments. A 19 feet (5.8 m) free standing rotating mast stepped far forward in the front buoyancy compartment supports a mainsail which features a MK symbol to identify the boat.
In 1966 the fibreglass Mark was introduced with no.100 called 'Fymark.'
The class is no longer active.
Strong efforts were made to expand the class to the South of Ireland by making her available to potential buyers at Malahide broad water. This did not succeed.
The Mark did not succeed for a number of reasons:
1. Poor upwind performance.
2. She was not available for home building.
3. She never reached sustainable numbers in any location.
4. She was not a pretty boat.
5. The only builder was in Northern Ireland.Mulroy Bay
Mulroy Bay (Irish: Cuan na Maoil Ruaidh) is a relatively small bay / sea loch on the north coast of County Donegal, Ireland.
Mulroy Bay is the most convoluted of the marine inlets in north-west Ireland. It is approximately 12 km long in a north-south direction. The entrance to the bay is a narrow embayment leading to a winding entrance channel 10 km in length. This channel varies in width and depth, with three significant narrows only 100–150 m across, where the current reaches maxima of 3-5 knots. It opens into the Broad Water, an open shallow sea lough 8 km from north to south and 2.5 km from east to west, generally less than 20 m in depth and with many small rocky islands and islets.Settlements founded on the bay include Milford, Kerrykeel and Cranford.
The English name of the bay comes from Cuan na Mhaoil Ruaidh, the original Irish language name for the bay which means 'Bay of the Red Current' or 'Bay of the Red Stream'.National Register of Historic Places listings in Sullivan County, New Hampshire
This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Sullivan County, New Hampshire.
This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Sullivan County, New Hampshire, United States. Latitude and longitude coordinates are provided for many National Register properties and districts; these locations may be seen together in a map.There are 67 properties and districts listed on the National Register in the county, including 2 National Historic Landmarks.
This National Park Service list is complete through NPS recent listings posted October 4, 2019.Panton, Vermont
Panton is a town in Addison County, Vermont, United States. The population was 677 at the 2010 census.Pend d'Oreilles
The Pend d’Oreille, also known as the Kalispel, are Indigenous peoples of the Northwest Plateau. Today many of them live in Montana and eastern Washington. The Kalispel peoples referred to their primary tribal range as Kaniksu.
Their traditional territory was reaching up and down the drainage systems of the Flathead River, Clark Fork, and Pend Oreille rivers. It extended from roughly present-day Plains, Montana, westward along the Clark Fork River, to Lake Pend Oreille and Priest Lake in Idaho, and the Pend Oreille River (Ntxwe, meaning "river") in eastern Washington and into British Columbia (Canada).
They traditionally lived in many bands - originally, probably eleven bands - in their historic lands and are generally divided geographically and culturally in two groupings:
the "upstream people" or Upper Kalispel (or "Upper Pend d’Oreille") are commonly referred to as the Pend d'Oreille. They were also known as Kullyspelm or Ql̓ispé ("Camas People") and are now enrolled in the federally recognized Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Nation in Montana.and
the "downstream people" or Lower Kalispel (or "Lower Pend d’Oreille") are commonly referred to as the Kalispel. They were also known as Silkatkmlschi or Sɫq̓etkʷmsčin̓t ("People Living along the Shore of the Broad Water"), because they were based around Flathead Lake (Čɫq̓étkʷ - "Broad Water"). Today they are enrolled in the Kalispel Tribe of Indians in Washington and some families are part of the Coeur d’Alene Tribe in Idaho.Some Kalispel are enrolled in the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation in eastern Washington. Prior to colonization by European-Americans, Chewelah was home to a band of the Lower Kalispel people. The band was known as the Slet̓éw̓si, meaning "valley people". The Chewelah Band of Indians is currently part of the Spokane Tribe of Indians of Washington.River Dysynni
The River Dysynni (Welsh: Afon Dysynni) is a river in mid Wales. Its source is the Tal-y-llyn Lake (Welsh: Llyn Mwyngil) just south of the Cadair Idris massif and its mouth is in the Cardigan Bay area of the Irish Sea to the north of Tywyn. It measures about 16 mi (26 km) in length.River Nar
The River Nar is a river in England, a tributary of the River Great Ouse. It rises at Mileham near Litcham in Norfolk and flows 15 miles west through Castle Acre and Narborough (the latter giving the Nar its name), joining the Ouse at King's Lynn. It has had a variety of alternative names, such as the Setch, the Sandringham, and Lynn Flu, though these are rarely, if ever, used today. In 2011 the Nar was recognised by the Environment Agency as one of the top ten most improved rivers in England and Wales.
The final section of the river near its mouth was diverted northwards when the Great Ouse was re-routed to a new outfall at King's Lynn after the thirteenth century. The river was made navigable from its mouth to Narborough and probably to West Acre as a result of an Act of Parliament obtained in 1751. Ten single-gate sluices and a pen sluice (or pound lock) were used to handle the change in level. The use of the river declined rapidly after the opening of a railway from King's Lynn to Dereham between 1846 and 1848. In 1884, the river was taken over by the River Nar Drainage Board, and closed to navigation, when an un-navigable sluice was constructed to the south of a Manure Factory in King's Lynn. A new sluice very close to the junction with the Great Ouse has been built more recently.
The river has been used to power a number of mills over the centuries. The buildings or remains of five are still visible, and some still contain original machinery. Narborough Bone Mill had no road access, and bones from the whaling industry and from cemeteries in Hamburg were delivered by barge, to be ground into bone meal. The mill closed when the river was taken over, and just the mill wheel remains on the bank.
The river is a 42-kilometre (26-mile) long biological Site of Special Scientific Interest.Stanford End Mill and River Loddon
Stanford End Mill and River Loddon is an area of natural grassland, between Beech Hill and Swallowfield in Berkshire, incorporating a stretch of the River Loddon and a mill built in early Victorian times on the Stratfield Saye estate. It was designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) in 1952, and expanded in 1986. The site is of interest mainly because of two rare plants: the fritillary (Fritillary meleagris), a native bulb, and the Loddon pondweed (Potamogeton nodosus), a rare aquatic plant. The area supports a wide range of native meadow plants, and the river supports a variety of coarse fish species, water voles and nesting birds, including little grebe, moorhen, coot, mute swan and kingfisher.Tixall Wide
Tixall Wide, also known as Tixall Broad or The Broad Water, is a body of water that forms part of the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal near Tixall in Staffordshire, England, to the south of the former Tixall Hall.The lake was probably created during the construction of the canal in 1771.
At that time, the hall was owned by Thomas Clifford, the fourth son of Hugh Clifford, 3rd Baron Clifford of Chudleigh, and the grounds had been designed on the advice of the landscape architect Lancelot "Capability" Brown.
It is said Clifford "gave permission for the canal to pass through his land on the condition that it was made ... wide enough to look like a lake from the house". and thus in order not to spoil the view.The towpath is a very popular overnight mooring spot. Boaters moored here, or just passing through, have an excellent view of the magnificent Elizabethan gatehouse that is the only remaining part of Tixall Hall.
It has also been suggested that the canal was routed to utilise a lake that already existed, in which the angler and writer Izaak Walton had learned to fish.Tywyn
Tywyn (Welsh: [ˈtəʊ.ᵻn]; in English often ), formerly spelled Towyn, is a town, community, and seaside resort on the Cardigan Bay coast of southern Gwynedd, Wales. It was previously in the historic county of Merionethshire. It is famous as the location of the Cadfan Stone, a stone cross with the earliest known example of written Welsh, and the home of the Talyllyn Railway.