The Borough of Swindon is a local government authority in South West England. It is centred on the town of Swindon and forms part of the ceremonial county of Wiltshire. It was formed in 1974 as the Thamesdown district of Wiltshire, from former areas of the municipal borough of Swindon (created 1900) and Highworth Rural District (created 1894).
On 1 April 1997 it was made administratively independent of Wiltshire County Council (with its council becoming a unitary authority). It adopted the name Swindon on 24 April 1997. The former Thamesdown name and logo were used by the main local bus operator, Thamesdown Transport Limited, until it was bought out and renamed to "Swindon's Bus Company".
Borough of Swindon
Shown within Wiltshire
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Region||South West England|
|• Type||Unitary authority|
|• Body||Swindon Borough Council|
|• Leadership||Leader & Cabinet (Conservative)|
|• MPs||Robert Buckland (C)|
Justin Tomlinson (C)
|• Total||88.84 sq mi (230.10 km2)|
|Area rank||152nd (of 317)|
|• Rank||78th (of 317)|
|• Density||2,500/sq mi (960/km2)|
|• Ethnicity||85.6% White British|
5.4% Other White
1.71% Black British
2.0% Mixed Race
0.6% Other 
|Time zone||UTC0 (GMT)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+1 (BST)|
|ONS code||00HX (ONS) E06000030 (GSS)|
|OS grid reference|
The borough of Swindon occupies an area forming the north east corner of Wiltshire and is bordered by two other counties, Gloucestershire (to the north) and Oxfordshire (to the east). West Berkshire is also only a short distance from the borough's south eastern tip. The generally hilly landscape is sculpted by the upper Thames guiding the northern border, small tributaries draining into the Thames, and the Marlborough Downs rising toward the south.
The borough encompasses the Swindon urban area and surrounding countryside to the north, east and south, including the town of Highworth. It comprises the former Swindon Municipal Borough and a further 18 civil parishes:
Since 1 April 2017 the entire Borough has been parished, following the establishment of West Swindon parish and the creation of Central Swindon North and Central Swindon South (styled by its parish council as South Swindon). The two Central parishes fall within the boundaries of the town and former municipal borough, the Great Western main line railway forming the boundary between them.
At the same time:
This is a chart of trend of regional gross value added of Swindon at current basic prices published (pp. 240–253) by Office for National Statistics with figures in millions of British Pounds Sterling.
|Year||Regional Gross Value Added||Agriculture||Industry||Services|
^ includes hunting and forestry
^ includes energy and construction
^ Components may not sum to totals due to rounding
The council follows a leader and cabinet model and has 57 elected members. Elections are held in three out of every four years, with one third of the seats being elected at each election. From the first election in 1996 to the 2000 election, Labour had a majority on the council. Following a period where no party had a majority the Conservatives gained a majority at the 2003 election and have held control since then. As of the 2016 local elections, the council is composed of the following councillors:-
The following are the electoral wards within the Borough as at 2016.
For electoral purposes, the borough is divided into two Parliamentary constituencies: North Swindon and South Swindon. Both constituencies are seen as key marginal seats at general elections, with both having been bellwether seats since 1997 when they were created. Currently both seats are held by the Conservative Party.
The borough was one of the first areas to declare in the 2016 European Union membership referendum. 61,745 (54.3%) voters supported leaving the European Union, whilst 51,220 (45.7%) wished to remain. Psephologist Chris Hanretty has estimated that 57.3% of voters in North Swindon supported leave, compared to 51.7% in South Swindon.
For the purposes of elections to the European Parliament, Swindon lies in the South West region, and is represented by 3 Brexit Party MEPs, 2 Liberal Democrat MEPs, and one Green MEP. In 2019, 35.7% of the borough's voters backed the Brexit Party, 17.8% backed the Liberal Democrats, and 14.6% backed Labour.
The Swindon by-election of 3 October 1969 was held after Labour Member of Parliament (MP) Francis Noel-Baker resigned from the House of Commons. The seat was won by the Conservative Party in a defeat for Harold Wilson's government.Bishopstone, Swindon
Bishopstone is a village and civil parish in the Swindon unitary authority of Wiltshire, England, about 6 miles (10 km) east of Swindon, and on the county border with Oxfordshire. Since 1934 the parish has included the village of Hinton Parva.
Bishopstone lies on the north slope of the Lambourn Downs, overlooking the Vale of White Horse. It is between Wanborough and Ashbury on the historic Icknield Way. The village has a public house, the Royal Oak, and a number of thatched cottages, centred on a mill-pond.
The village is often used as a base for walkers on the Ridgeway National Trail. The Ridgeway above Bishopstone is a Byway open to motor vehicles between April and October.
On the downs above Bishopstone are ancient field systems known as lynchets and many other historic earth-workings.Blunsdon
Blunsdon is a civil parish in the Borough of Swindon, England, about 4 miles (6 km) north of the centre of Swindon, with the A419 forming its southern boundary. Its main settlement is the village of Broad Blunsdon, with Lower Blunsdon nearby; the hamlet of Broadbush is now contiguous with Broad Blunsdon.
Blunsdon is the eastern half of the former Blunsdon St Andrew civil parish. In April 2017 the parish was divided, with the western half becoming St Andrews parish.Chiseldon
Chiseldon is a village and civil parish in the borough of Swindon, Wiltshire, England. It takes its name from the Old English cisel dene, or gravel valley, being noted in the Domesday Book as Chiseldene.
The village lies on the edge of the Marlborough Downs, a mile south of junction 15 of the M4 motorway, on the A346 between Swindon and Marlborough. The large village of Wroughton is 2.5 miles (4 km) to the east. The parish includes the hamlets of Badbury. Badbury Wick, Draycot Foliat, Hodson, and Ridgeway View; the ancient manor of Burderop is also within the parish.
The village houses a school, the Chiseldon Primary School, which currently has some 158 pupils enrolled, most of them from the village itself. The Holy Cross Church is also located in Chiseldon. The church was built in the thirteenth century along with other local churches in Ogbourne St. George and Ogbourne St. Andrew. The village has a surgery, as well as two hotels one of which is Chiseldon House Hotel, an attractive historic property. It also has an Esso petrol station, two shops (one housing a post office) and various other businesses. The engineering consultancy firm Halcrow Group Limited, soon to be CH2MHill, operates from Burderop Park, located in the parish.
There are two pubs in the village, The Patriots Arms and the Plough Inn. There is also the Social Club. The Elm Tree Pub has now closed down; this was originally a thatched beer house and was constructed in 1845 . The pub was named after the elm tree which was located on the village green until the 1970s.
Chiseldon telephone exchange serves 1048 residential and 39 non-residential properties.Covingham
Covingham is an urban village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, now part of the built-up area of the Borough of Swindon. It was developed in the middle 1960s as part of Swindon's eastward expansion towards the A419. The estate is exclusively private housing.
St Paul's Church, Covingham, is a modern building. There is a local school named Covingham Park Primary School, and a pub named The Messenger.Haydon Wick
The civil parish of Haydon Wick is a northern suburb of the town of Swindon, Wiltshire, in England. It has a population in excess of 20,000.The parish includes the former hamlet of Haydon and the suburb of Greenmeadow.Highworth
Highworth is a market town and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, about 6 miles (10 km) northeast of Swindon town centre. The 2011 Census recorded a population of 8,151. The town is notable for its Queen Anne and Georgian buildings, dating from its pre-eminence in the 18th century.Inglesham
Inglesham is a small village and civil parish in the borough of Swindon, Wiltshire, England. The village is just off the A361 road about 1 mile (1.6 km) south-west of Lechlade in Gloucestershire. Most of the population lives in the hamlet of Upper Inglesham, which is on the main road about 1.3 miles (2 km) south of the village.
The parish forms the extreme north-east corner of the Borough of Swindon and County of Wiltshire, and is bounded to the west and north by the River Thames (which also forms the county boundary with Gloucestershire), and to the east by the county boundary with Oxfordshire (Berkshire until the 1974 boundary changes). The River Cole forms part of the eastern boundary.
As the parish's population is small it has a parish meeting instead of a parish council.Inglesham's roundhouses are often used by boaters as a navigation point to denote the westernmost point most cabin cruisers and narrowboats can travel along the Thames, as beyond Inglesham the river becomes too clogged with vegetation and too shallow to effectively navigate.Liddington
Liddington is a village and civil parish near Swindon in Wiltshire, England. The settlement lies southeast of Swindon town, close to junction 15 of the M4 motorway, which is approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) away via the B4192.
The parish has been an area of settlement since the earliest times. The ancient Ridgeway traverses the parish just north of the village and the Iron Age hill-fort known as Liddington Castle overlooks the present-day village. Liddington is recorded in the late Saxon period, around 940 AD. The Domesday Book of 1086 refers to the settlement as Ledentone. Records indicate that Liddington was a fairly prosperous parish in the 14th century. The population of the parish peaked at 454 in 1841 and then gradually declined.List of schools in Swindon
This is a list of schools in the Borough of Swindon in the English county of Wiltshire.North Swindon (UK Parliament constituency)
North Swindon is a constituency represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament since 2010 by Justin Tomlinson, a Conservative.South Marston
South Marston is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Swindon, Wiltshire, England. The village is about 3 miles (5 km) north-east of Swindon.South Swindon (UK Parliament constituency)
South Swindon is a constituency represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament since 2010 by Robert Buckland, a Conservative.Stratton St Margaret
Stratton St Margaret is a civil parish in the Borough of Swindon, Wiltshire, England. The parish covers north-eastern suburbs of Swindon including Stratton St Margaret itself along with Upper Stratton, Lower Stratton and Kingsdown. Since May 2015, Nythe has been legally separated from Stratton St. Margaret and now forms its own parish council.Swindon (UK Parliament constituency)
Swindon was a parliamentary constituency in the town of Swindon in Wiltshire, England.
It returned one Member of Parliament to the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom from the 1918 general election until it was abolished for the 1997 general election.
It was then replaced by the two new constituencies of North Swindon and South Swindon.Swindon Borough Council
Swindon Borough Council is the local authority of the Borough of Swindon in Wiltshire, England. It is a unitary authority, having the powers of a non-metropolitan county and district council combined. As such, it is administratively separate from the rest of Wiltshire. It was formed in 1997, replacing Thamesdown Borough Council.Swindon Borough Council elections
Swindon is a unitary authority in Wiltshire, England. Until 1 April 1998 its area was a non-metropolitan district called Thamesdown Borough Council, with Wiltshire County Council providing the county-level services. In 1998 all such powers were transferred to the new Borough of Swindon.Wanborough, Wiltshire
Wanborough is a large village and civil parish in the borough of Swindon, Wiltshire, England. The village is about 3.5 miles (5.6 km) southeast of Swindon town centre. The settlement along the High Street is Lower Wanborough, while Upper Wanborough is on higher ground to the southwest. The parish includes the hamlets of Horpit (a short distance north of Wanborough) and Foxhill, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) to the southeast.Wroughton
Wroughton is a large village and civil parish in northeast Wiltshire, England. It is part of the Borough of Swindon and lies along the A4361 road between Swindon and Avebury; the road into Swindon crosses the M4 motorway between junctions 15 and 16. The village is about 2.2 miles (3.5 km) south of Swindon town centre on the edge of the Marlborough Downs, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The town of Marlborough is about 11 miles (18 km) to the south via the B4005 at Chiseldon and the A346 road. The World Heritage Site at Avebury is about 7 miles (11.3 km) to the south.
The parish includes North Wroughton, formerly a small settlement on the road towards Swindon but now part of the built-up area; and the hamlets of Elcombe and Overtown.