Swale is a local government district with borough status in Kent, England and is bounded by Medway to the west, Canterbury to the east, Ashford to the south and Maidstone to the south west. Its council is based in Sittingbourne. The district is named after the narrow channel called The Swale, that separates the mainland of Kent from the Isle of Sheppey, and which occupies the central part of the district.
The Roman Watling Street passed through the area, as witness the straightness of the A2 main road, now by-passed by the M2 motorway. Apart from the northern coast of the Isle of Sheppey, and the town of Sittingbourne, it is a mainly rural borough, containing a high proportion of the UK's apple, pear, cherry and plum orchards (the North Kent Fruit Belt), as well as many of its remaining hop gardens. Most of the southern half of the Borough lies within the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, whilst Sittingbourne and the Isle of Sheppey forms the concluding part of the Thames Gateway growth area.
The district was formed in 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972, from the Borough of Faversham; the Borough of Queenborough-in-Sheppey, which covered the whole of Sheppey; the Sittingbourne and Milton Urban District; and Swale Rural District.
Borough of Swale
Swale shown within Kent
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Region||South East England|
|Incorporated||1 April 1974|
|• Type||Non-metropolitan district council|
|• Body||Swale Borough Council|
|• Leadership||Leader & Cabinet (Conservative)|
|• MPs||Helen Whately (C)|
Gordon Henderson (C)
|• Total||144.2 sq mi (373.4 km2)|
|Area rank||106th (of 317)|
|• Rank||140th (of 317)|
|• Density||1,000/sq mi (400/km2)|
|• Ethnicity||96.1% White|
1.0% Mixed Race
|Time zone||UTC0 (GMT)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+1 (BST)|
|ONS code||29UM (ONS)|
|OS grid reference|
The district contains the following civil parishes:
Bay View is a hamlet on the east side of the Isle of Sheppey in the Borough of Swale in Kent, England.Bredgar
Bredgar is a village and civil parish in the borough of Swale in Kent, England. The village lies some 4 miles (6.4 km) to the southwest of Sittingbourne on the road between Tunstall and Hollingbourne. The hamlet of Bexon is included in the parish.
A hoard of 34 Roman coins including 15 gold aurei was discovered in the parish in 1957. It is thought to be related to the Claudian invasion, possibly buried by a soldier before the Battle of the Medway.In 1800 Edward Hasted, notes that it was once called Bradgare. Also the parish had around 1300 acres of land, of which one hundred acres are covered by wood. With Tunstall and Bobbing, it was controlled by the Manor of Milton.In the reign of King Henry III (12th century), Robert de Bredgar, resided here and his name appears in an ancient roll of the benefactors to the monastery of Davington (in Faversham). The village was then named after this family.The parish includes Swanton Court, (a Grade II listed house) and Mann's Place (also Grade II listed), All listed in Hasted's survey of Kent.The parish also has its own church, St John The Baptist Church, which is in the diocese of Canterbury, and the deanery of Sittingbourne. It is grade I listed. King Henry III gave out alms from this church to the leprous women of the hospital of St. James, (alias St. Jacob), near Thanington, near Canterbury.Bredgar is home to the privately owned Bredgar & Wormshill Light Railway, a half-mile long, 2 ft gauge, steam railway with a fine collection of locomotives and rolling stock, and extensive workshops. The B&W opens to the public occasionally during the summer months to raise money for charity,
The M2 motorway crosses the parish. Junction 5 is approximately 3 miles (5 km) west of the village.Brogdale
Brogdale is a hamlet in Kent, England, located beside the M2 motorway 2 miles (3.2 km) south of Faversham. It is one of several hamlets making up the civil parish of Ospringe and is in the Borough of Swale.
It was once called by the ancient name of 'Brokedale'. This name comes from the family of John de Brokedale, who resided in the district. In 1734, the parish was owned by Mr. John Knowler, the Mayor of Faversham.On 10 August 2003 the temperature reached 38.5 °C (101.3 °F) here, a record for the United Kingdom.Brogdale Farm is home to the United Kingdom's National Fruit Collection, one of the largest collections of fruit trees and plants in the world.Brogdale Farm has been the home of Faversham miniature railway since 2001.Chestnut Street, Kent
Chestnut Street is a settlement to the west of Sittingbourne in the Borough of Swale, Kent, England.
It is located on the former A249 road alignment, between the junction with the A2 road near Key Street and Danaway. The A249, a dual carriageway since the 1990s, avoids Chestnut Street. Its postal address is Chestnut Street, Borden, Kent; that village is a mile (1.6 km) to the east.
There are a number of Grade II listed buildings in the hamlet, including Hooks Hole, Old Houses, Dumbles, Tudor Rose Cottage, Oldstede, and Chestnut Street Farmhouse.Conyer
Conyer is a hamlet within Teynham civil parish in the borough of Swale in Kent, England. It is located around one mile north of the village of Teynham, and at the head of Conyer Creek, which flows into the Swale to the north. The Saxon Shore Way and National Cycle Route 1 pass through the hamlet.
Amenities in Conyer include a pub and a marina.Danaway
Danaway is a village near the A249 road and the M2 motorway, in the Swale District, in the English county of Kent. The nearest town is Sittingbourne. It is set in the base of a valley, with the oldest houses dating from the late 19th century.Dunkirk, Kent
Dunkirk is a village and civil parish between Faversham and Canterbury in southeast England.
It lies on the Canterbury Road between Boughton under Blean and Harbledown. This was the main Roman road from the Kentish ports to London, also known as Watling Street.Hartlip
Hartlip is a village and civil parish in the borough of Swale, in the county of Kent, England.
The population estimate was 680 in 1991, and in 2001 there were 566 registered voters. At the 2011 Census the population was 746. The village covers 1422.547 acres (5.8 km²) and is in an agricultural region of high quality fruit farming, hops and grain.Hernhill
Hernhill is a village and civil parish between Faversham and Canterbury in southeast England. The parish includes the hamlets of Crockham, Dargate, The Fostall, Lamberhurst, Oakwell, Staple Street, Thread, Waterham and Wey Street.Leysdown-on-Sea
Leysdown-on-Sea is a coastal village on the east side of the Isle of Sheppey in the Borough of Swale in Kent, England. The civil parish is Leysdown and includes the settlements of Bay View, Shellness and Harty.Minster-on-Sea
Minster-on-Sea is a civil parish in the English county of Kent. It is on the Isle of Sheppey and thus forms part of the borough of Swale. It was created in 2003.The main populated area is the seaside town of Minster on the north coast. The southern part is primarily marshland and includes the entirely deserted village of Elmley.Oversland
Oversland is a settlement in the Swale district of Kent, England. It is located about 1 mile (1.6 km) to the west of Selling and is situated near Selling railway station. It is in that of the civil parish of Boughton under Blean.Rodmersham
Rodmersham is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Swale in the north of the English county of Kent. It is just under 1 mile (1.6 km) south of Bapchild on the A2 road and 1.5 miles (2.4 km) south-east of the town of Sittingbourne. Rodmersham Green, which forms the bulk of the modern village, is 0.5 miles (0.80 km) to the south-west of the village church towards the Highsted Valley and Tunstall.Rushenden
Rushenden is a village on the Isle of Sheppey in the Borough of Swale in Kent, England, of approximately 500 dwellings. It lies to the south of Queenborough (where, at the 2011 Census, the population was included ). A railway spur line formerly passed through the village to a former wharf on the Swale, although this has now been removed to make way for part of the regeneration scheme.Shellness
The Hamlet of Shellness is a small coastal settlement on the most easterly point of the Isle of Sheppey in the Borough of Swale in Kent, England, north-east of Harty and south-east of Leysdown-on-Sea (where, at the 2011 Census, the population was included).Stalisfield Green
Stalisfield Green is a village in the borough of Swale in Kent, England, located on a secondary road about 1½ miles (2.4 km) north of Charing and 5 miles south west of Faversham.
Stalisfield Green lies high on the North Downs (a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty), some 650 feet above sea level, and close to the escarpment above Charing.Throwley
Throwley is an English village south of Faversham in the Borough of Swale in Kent.The name is recorded in the Doomsday Book as Trevelai, which corresponds with a Brittonic origin, where "Trev" means a settlement or farm house and "Elai" typically relates to a fast moving river or stream (CF. Trelai (showing the loss of terminal "f") in Cardiff).Tunstall, Kent
Tunstall is a village in the Borough of Swale in Kent, England. Situated to the south of Sittingbourne, on the road towards Bredgar.
Tunstall is a small linear village along Tunstall road.Whitehill, Kent
Whitehill is a hamlet to the south of Faversham in Kent, England. A stream rises at Westbrook, a small distance south of Whitehill. At the 2011 Census, the population was included in the civil parish of Ospringe.
|Isle of Wight|
|County council and unitary|