In the historical center is a twelfth-century church, with a benefice barn and parsonage from the 16th century.
Coat of arms
Location of Bolligen
|• Mayor||Margret Kiener Nellen|
|• Total||16.57 km2 (6.40 sq mi)|
|Elevation||578 m (1,896 ft)|
|• Density||380/km2 (980/sq mi)|
|Localities||Bantigen, Ferenberg bei Stettlen, Flugbrunnen, Geristein, Habstetten|
|Surrounded by||Ittigen, Ostermundigen, Stettlen, Vechigen, Krauchthal, Mattstetten, Urtenen-Schönbühl, Moosseedorf, Münchenbuchsee|
|Twin towns||Hluboká nad Vltavou (Czech Republic)|
Bolligen is first mentioned in 1180 as Bollingin.
Traces of a neolithic settlement were discovered in Burech. There are traces of an earthen fort of an indeterminate age above Flugbrunnen, along with medieval earthen forts at Grauholz and on the Bantiger. Bolligen, Muri bei Bern, Stettlen and Vechigen were the first villages to come under Bern's control as Bern began its expansion into a city-state. During the 13th and 14th centuries, representatives of Bern and the Kyburg Counts often met in Bolligen for negotiations. After the extinction of the Knights of Gerenstein, their castle, Gerenstein Castle and the Geristein farms passed into private ownership. The castle and farm passed through the hands of a number of wealthy Bernese citizens and several monasteries, including Interlaken Abbey and Thorberg Charterhouse. The city of Bern also continued to acquire rights around Bolligen. In 1345 it bought Habstetten from Berchtold of Thornberg. Following the Protestant Reformation in 1528, Bern secularized a number of monasteries around the Canton. From the Thorberg Chapterhouse they acquired the low court in Bolligen and from Interlaken Abbey the rights over Bolligen's church. The Grauholz-Sädelbach woods near Bolligen became a popular summer retreat for Bern's patrician families. An early example of these was the Wegmühle house which was built in 1600 and then renovated in 1669. It was followed by the Hubelgut house in Habstetten in 1670 and in 1720 by the Lindeburg house.
The village church of St. Niklaus was first mentioned in 1180. It was probably the family church of the Gerenstein family. The current church was built in the 12th or 13th century and expanded in the 15th century. In 1792-95 it was renovated and repaired. In 1274 Ulrich of Stein gave the patronage over the church to Interlaken Abbey. After the secularization of the Abbey in 1528, the church's patronage fell to Bern, who made it the parish church for Habstetten. The parish grew to include 30 villages, hamlets and farms with a population of 1,771 in 1764. In 1834, the political municipality was created from this large parish. Following a long running debate on whether to centralize (1930, 1945, 1963), incorporate in Bern (1913, 1919) or decentralize (1956, 1962, 1972), in 1978 the residents decided to divide the municipality into three independent municipalities; Bolligen, Ittigen and Ostermundigen.
Beginning in the 18th century, farmers in Bolligen began to grow hay in addition to the traditional grain. The hay was sold to provide food during winter for the many dairy and cattle farms that were developing in the surrounding area. Also in the 18th century large industrial operations opened. These included; the quarries in Stockeren (1708-1918/49) and the paper mill in the Wegmühle which opened in 1787 and converted into a grain mill in 1855. The municipality remained a mostly rural town until the agglomeration of Bern spread into Bolligen in 1950s transforming it. Agricultural land was replaced by shopping centers and housing developments. Many of the residents of the municipality commute to Bern for work and by 1990, over three-fourths of the workers were commuters. The expansion of the infrastructure has led, in part, to urbanization. Primary schools are located in Bolligen, Ferenberg and Geristein, along with a secondary school and a pre-Gymnasium in Bolligen.as well as in a secondary school and lower secondary school. Since 1913, following the example Worblental train.
Bolligen has an area of 16.57 km2 (6.40 sq mi). Of this area, 7.17 km2 (2.77 sq mi) or 43.3% is used for agricultural purposes, while 7.29 km2 (2.81 sq mi) or 44.0% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 2.05 km2 (0.79 sq mi) or 12.4% is settled (buildings or roads), 0.03 km2 (7.4 acres) or 0.2% is either rivers or lakes and 0.02 km2 (4.9 acres) or 0.1% is unproductive land.
Of the built up area, housing and buildings made up 7.2% and transportation infrastructure made up 3.3%. Out of the forested land, all of the forested land area is covered with heavy forests. Of the agricultural land, 26.1% is used for growing crops and 14.8% is pastures, while 2.4% is used for orchards or vine crops. All the water in the municipality is flowing water.
The municipality is located in the agglomeration of Bern. Bolligen lies northeast of Bern, its area connects the Worblental to the Emmental. The "Lutzere" mountains form the watershed boundary between the Emme River and the Aare River.
In 1980 and 1983, the small but heavily populated towns of Ittigen and Ostermundigen divided from Bolligen to form independent municipalities. It consists of the village of Bolligen and the hamlets of Bantigen, Ferenberg, Flugbrunnen, Geristein and Habstetten.
In the municipality is the Bantiger mountain (947 m [3,107 ft]). The transmission tower of Swisscom located there supplies the surrounding region with radio and television programs. The mountain also provides a panorama of the Jura mountains, the Swiss plateau, and the Alps.
On 31 December 2009 Amtsbezirk Bern, the municipality's former district, was dissolved. On the following day, 1 January 2010, it joined the newly created Verwaltungskreis Bern-Mittelland.
Bolligen has a population (as of December 2017) of 6,260. As of 2010, 7.2% of the population are resident foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years (2000-2010) the population has changed at a rate of 2%. Migration accounted for 2.7%, while births and deaths accounted for 0%.
Most of the population (as of 2000) speaks German (5,490 or 93.2%) as their first language, French is the second most common (130 or 2.2%) and Italian is the third (60 or 1.0%). There are 9 people who speak Romansh.
As of 2008, the population was 47.9% male and 52.1% female. The population was made up of 2,692 Swiss men (44.3% of the population) and 218 (3.6%) non-Swiss men. There were 2,944 Swiss women (48.5%) and 222 (3.7%) non-Swiss women. Of the population in the municipality, 1,189 or about 20.2% were born in Bolligen and lived there in 2000. There were 2,659 or 45.1% who were born in the same canton, while 1,313 or 22.3% were born somewhere else in Switzerland, and 605 or 10.3% were born outside of Switzerland.
As of 2010, children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 19.1% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 55.4% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 25.4%.
As of 2000, there were 2,171 people who were single and never married in the municipality. There were 3,210 married individuals, 276 widows or widowers and 236 individuals who are divorced.
As of 2000, there were 661 households that consist of only one person and 141 households with five or more people. In 2000, a total of 2,436 apartments (91.3% of the total) were permanently occupied, while 197 apartments (7.4%) were seasonally occupied and 34 apartments (1.3%) were empty. As of 2010, the construction rate of new housing units was 2.5 new units per 1000 residents. The vacancy rate for the municipality, in 2011, was 1.11%.
In the municipal council the Free Democratic Party of Switzerland (FDP, 2), Social Democratic Party of Switzerland (SP, 3), Swiss People's Party (SVP, 1), and "Bolligen Parteilos" ("cross-bencher," BP, 1) are represented (as of May 2006).
In the 2011 federal election the most popular party was the SVP which received 22% of the vote. The next three most popular parties were the SPS (20.2%), the BDP Party (16.1%) and the FDP (15.7%). In the federal election, a total of 3,077 votes were cast, and the voter turnout was 64.7%.
The mayor, Margret Kiener Nellen, is the representative of the canton of Bern in the National Council of Switzerland and a member of the Social Democratic Party of Switzerland.
As of 2011, Bolligen had an unemployment rate of 1.62%. As of 2008, there were a total of 1,683 people employed in the municipality. Of these, there were 127 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 43 businesses involved in this sector. 362 people were employed in the secondary sector and there were 39 businesses in this sector. 1,194 people were employed in the tertiary sector, with 151 businesses in this sector.
In 2008 there were a total of 1,367 full-time equivalent jobs. The number of jobs in the primary sector was 88, all of which were in agriculture. The number of jobs in the secondary sector was 331 of which 232 or (70.1%) were in manufacturing and 93 (28.1%) were in construction. The number of jobs in the tertiary sector was 948. In the tertiary sector; 477 or 50.3% were in wholesale or retail sales or the repair of motor vehicles, 40 or 4.2% were in a hotel or restaurant, 43 or 4.5% were in the information industry, 26 or 2.7% were the insurance or financial industry, 64 or 6.8% were technical professionals or scientists, 66 or 7.0% were in education and 119 or 12.6% were in health care.
In 2000, there were 1,009 workers who commuted into the municipality and 2,388 workers who commuted away. The municipality is a net exporter of workers, with about 2.4 workers leaving the municipality for every one entering. Of the working population, 35.9% used public transportation to get to work, and 41.6% used a private car.
From the 2000 census, 971 or 16.5% were Roman Catholic, while 3,935 or 66.8% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there were 32 members of an Orthodox church (or about 0.54% of the population), there were 7 individuals (or about 0.12% of the population) who belonged to the Christian Catholic Church, and there were 350 individuals (or about 5.94% of the population) who belonged to another Christian church. There were 6 individuals (or about 0.10% of the population) who were Jewish, and 37 (or about 0.63% of the population) who were Islamic. There were 5 individuals who were Buddhist, 17 individuals who were Hindu and 3 individuals who belonged to another church. 536 (or about 9.10% of the population) belonged to no church, are agnostic or atheist, and 150 individuals (or about 2.55% of the population) did not answer the question.
In Bolligen about 2,579 or (43.8%) of the population have completed non-mandatory upper secondary education, and 1,294 or (22.0%) have completed additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). Of the 1,294 who completed tertiary schooling, 70.2% were Swiss men, 23.2% were Swiss women, 4.3% were non-Swiss men and 2.2% were non-Swiss women.
The Canton of Bern school system provides one year of non-obligatory Kindergarten, followed by six years of Primary school. This is followed by three years of obligatory lower Secondary school where the students are separated according to ability and aptitude. Following the lower Secondary students may attend additional schooling or they may enter an apprenticeship.
During the 2009-10 school year, there were a total of 658 students attending classes in Bolligen. There were 4 kindergarten classes with a total of 80 students in the municipality. Of the kindergarten students, 8.8% were permanent or temporary residents of Switzerland (not citizens) and 10.0% have a different mother language than the classroom language. The municipality had 17 primary classes and 346 students. Of the primary students, 4.6% were permanent or temporary residents of Switzerland (not citizens) and 6.6% have a different mother language than the classroom language. During the same year, there were 12 lower secondary classes with a total of 221 students. There were 6.8% who were permanent or temporary residents of Switzerland (not citizens) and 5.4% have a different mother language than the classroom language.
As of 2000, there were 111 students in Bolligen who came from another municipality, while 355 residents attended schools outside the municipality.
Alain Chuard is a Swiss serial entrepreneur and former professional snowboarder living in Palo Alto, California. He is best known as the founder and Chief product officer of Wildfire Interactive, the social media marketing technology company acquired by Google in July 2012.Bantiger TV Tower
Bantiger TV Tower is a 196 metre tall tower used for FM- and TV-transmission at 46°58′40″N 7°31′43″E on the Bantiger mountain, a mountain east of Berne situated in the municipality of Bolligen. The Bantiger TV Tower was built between 1991 and 1996 as replacement of a 100 metres tall radio tower, built in 1954.
Bantiger TV Tower, which was inaugurated in 1997 has a public observation deck in a height of 33.7 metres. In contrast to most other observation decks on TV towers, there is no elevator for visitors access. The access to the deck goes via a stairway, which is not inside the tower, but in a lattice tower attached to the towers main structure.Bern-Mittelland (administrative district)
Bern-Mittelland District in the Canton of Bern was created on 1 January 2010. It is part of the Bern-Mittelland administrative region, and is the only district in the region. It contains 79 municipalities with an area of 946.30 km2 (365.37 sq mi) and a population (as of 2017) of 413,143.It is made up of the valley of the rivers Aare and Emme, some of the foothills of the Bernese Alps, as well as the plain around the capital Bern, and has many small farms and hilly forested regions with small to mid-sized towns scattered throughout. It is perhaps best known by foreigners and visitors for the Emmental. The classic Swiss cheese with holes Emmentaler comes from this region's forests and pastures, of hilly and low mountainous countryside in the 1,000 to 2,000 m (3,300 to 6,600 ft) range.Bern S-Bahn
The Bern S-Bahn (German: S-Bahn Bern; French: RER Berne) is an S-Bahn commuter rail network focused on Bern, the capital city of Switzerland. The network is roughly coterminous with Bern's urban agglomeration.
With approximately 9 million train kilometres per year, the Bern S-Bahn is the second-largest S-Bahn in Switzerland. It handles around 100,000 passengers daily (175,000 on weekdays), and thus carries the majority of the agglomeration's regional public transport traffic.Chevron (insignia)
A chevron (also spelled cheveron, especially in older documents) is a V-shaped mark, often inverted. The word is usually used in reference to a kind of fret in architecture, or to a badge or insignia used in military or police uniforms to indicate rank or length of service, or in heraldry and the designs of flags (see flag terminology).Gosteli
Gosteli is a rare yet distinguished surname of Swiss origin. This surname's history can be traced back to as early as the 12th century where it was held by many nobles and people of great importance. Information on the Gosteli surname turns up randomly within the Swiss Confederation and throughout Switzerland's history. Due to the lack of record keeping in early times, most of the history is not well documented until the year 1500. One of the early Gosteli families listed is Jakob Gosteli, born around 1522 in Bolligen, Bern, Switzerland. His family consisted of wife, Christina Schmid, and 3 sons & 3 daughters: Martin, Michael, Niklaus, Barbli, Christine, and Barbel. Through canton and church records, many Gosteli family lines can be traced to this point.
The Swiss origin of the Gosteli name lies within the Bolligen, Bern region of Switzerland. The ruins of Gosteli Castle were also located in this region along the road to Krauchthal, though its exact location is all but lost. Today the Gosteli surname is still primarily found in Switzerland but a few branches of the family line can also be found in areas of the United Kingdom, Canada, United States, and Latin America.
The Gosteli Coat of Arms is said to originate from the family's early Arborist and Farming days. The family line has a long history of connecting with the natural world and were often called upon for expertise in relating matters. Many of the early families held a preference for residing is forested hills and valleys within Switzerland, where they could farm cattle for cheese and milk. The Gosteli Coat of Arms for the municipality of Krauchthal features a Castle.Hluboká nad Vltavou
Hluboká nad Vltavou (Czech pronunciation: [ˈɦlubokaː ˈnad vl̩tavou]), until 1912: Podhrad, German: Frauenberg) is a town in the South Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic.Ittigen
Ittigen is a municipality in the Bern-Mittelland administrative district in the canton of Bern in Switzerland.
The municipality was formed in 1983 when it and Ostermundigen were separated from territory once part of Bolligen.List of University of California, Davis faculty
This page lists notable faculty (past and present) of the University of California, Davis.
Francisco X. Alarcón, lecturer in Spanish
Berni Alder, professor emeritus of applied science, National Medal of Science recipient
Diane Marie Amann, professor of law (now at Georgia Tech)
Vikram Amar, associate dean for academic affairs (School of Law), constitutional law scholar
David Amaral, professor of psychiatry
Robert Arneson, professor of ceramics, artist of the Eggheads sculptures scattered through the UC Davis campus
Kandiah Arulanandan, professor of civil engineering (late)
Kyriacos A. Athanasiou, professor of bioengineering
Larry Austin, professor of music (later at South Florida and North Texas)
Daniel I. Axelrod, professor of botany (late)
Anna Maria Busse Berger, chair of music department
Charles Berger, professor of communication
Nicole W. Biggart, professor of management and sociology
Marc Blanchard, professor of critical theory and comparative literature
Fred L. Block, professor of sociology
Andy Bloom, Olympic shot putter
Edgar Bodenheimer, professor of law (late)
Richard M. Bohart, professor of entomology (late)
Gerard Bond, professor of geology
David Brody, professor emeritus of history
Alan Brownstein, professor of law; Boochever and Bird Chair for the Study and Teaching of Freedom and Equality
Steve Carlip, professor of physics
Colin Carter, professor of agricultural economics
Carol Cartwright, former vice chancellor for academic affairs
Angie Chabram-Dernersesian, professor of Chicana/o studies and cultural studies
Gregory Clark, professor of economics
Joshua Clover, associate professor of English
Ruby Cohn, professor of comparative drama (late)
Lucy Corin, professor of English
William Vere Cruess, professor of food science (late)
Steven C. Currall, dean of graduate school of management
George Delahunty, professor of biology
Joel Dobris, professor of law
Theodosius Dobzhansky, professor emeritus of evolutionary biology, 1971–1975
Richard C. Dorf, professor emeritus of electrical and computer engineering
Jesse Drew, technocultural studies
Gerald Dworkin, professor of philosophy
Jonathan Eisen, professor of evolution and ecology
Andrew A. Frank, professor of mechanical and aeronautical engineering
Stanley Barron Freeborn, UC Davis chancellor and entomologist, namesake of Freeborn Hall and the mosquito species Anopheles freeborni
Lynn Freed, professor of English
John Freeman, visiting professor of international relations, 1985–1990
Dmitry Fuchs, professor of mathematics
Sandra Gilbert, professor emerita of English, former president of the Modern Language Association
M. R. C. Greenwood, professor emerita of nutrition, president of the University of Hawaii
James R. Griesemer, professor of philosophy
William W. Hagen, professor of history
Darrell Hamamoto, professor of Asian American studies
Gordie C. Hanna, professor of agronomy (late)
Andrew Hargadon, professor of technology management
Alan Hastings, professor of ecology
Gregory M. Herek, professor of psychology
Lynn Hershman Leeson, professor of technocultural studies
Irva Hertz-Picciotto, professor of environmental and occupational health
Ralph Hexter, professor of classics and provost
Robert W. Hillman, professor of law
Sarah Blaffer Hrdy, professor emerita of anthropology
Veronika Hubeny, professor of physics
Theodore L. Hullar, former chancellor
Lucille Shapson Hurley, (1922-1988), former professor of nutrition
Lincoln Hurst, professor of religious studies (late)
Edward Imwinkelried, professor of law (co-author, Scientific Evidence)
Kevin Johnson, dean, School of Law
Suad Joseph, professor of anthropology and women and gender studies
Amy Block Joy, Cooperative Extension Specialist, Emeritus
Theodore Cyrus Karp, professor of music (moved to Northwestern before retirement)
Linda P.B. Katehi, professor of electrical and computer engineering; UC Davis chancellor (2009-2016)
Louise H. Kellogg, professor of earth and planetary sciences
Lynn Kimsey, professor of entomology
Paul Knoepfler, professor of cell biology & human anatomy
Edwin G. Krebs, founding chairman and professor of the Department of Biological Chemistry 1968–1977, winner of the Nobel Prize in Medicine
Leah Krubitzer, professor of psychology
Greg Kuperberg, professor of mathematics
Robert Laben, professor of animal sciences (late)
Brian Launder, professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering (now at the University of Manchester)
Smadar Lavie, professor of anthropology
Julie A. Leary, professor of chemistry
John Lofland, professor emeritus of sociology
Amina Mama, professor and director of women and gender studies
Zeev Maoz, distinguished professor of political science, director of the Correlates of War Project, and international relations expert
Peter Robert Marler, professor emeritus of neurobiology
Norman Matloff, professor of computer science
Jonna Mazet, professor of epidemiology, director of the UC Davis One Health Institute
Henry McHenry, professor of anthropology; UC Davis Prize; elected fellow, California Academy of Sciences
Sandra McPherson, professor emerita of English
Miguel Méndez, professor of law
Barbara D. Metcalf, professor emerita of history
Paul Moller, professor emeritus of mechanical and aeronautical engineering
Isabel P. Montañez, professor of earth and planetary sciences
Eldridge M. Moores, professor emeritus of geology (now earth and planetary sciences)
Stanton R. Morrison, professor emeritus of agricultural engineering; Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE)
Emil M. Mrak, professor of food science; UC Davis chancellor (1959–69)
Manuel Neri, professor emeritus of art (1965–1990)
Ann C. Noble, professor of food science, inventor of the "Aroma Wheel"
Harold Olmo, professor of viticulture
Jacob K. Olupona, professor of African and African American studies (now at Harvard)
Bob Ostertag, professor of technocultural studies
Rhacel Parrenas, professor of sociology (now at Brown)
Rex R. Perschbacher, professor of law
Washek Pfeffer, emeritus professor of mathematics
Philip Power, professor of chemistry, Royal Society
Andrés Reséndez, historian
Cruz Reynoso, professor of law; associate justice, California Supreme Court (1982–1987); Presidential Medal of Freedom (2000)
Phillip Rogaway, professor of computer science (RSA Award 2003)
Simon Sadler, professor of art history
Marc B. Schenker, professor, Department of Public Health Sciences
Johanna Schmitt, botanist and professor of evolution and ecology
Ivan R. Schwab, professor of ophthalmology
Albert Schwarz, professor of mathematics
Arthur Shapiro, professor of entomology, evolution and ecology
Karl Shapiro, professor, English Department, Pulitzer Prize for poetry, 1945
Gary Snyder, professor emeritus of English, Bolligen Prize, Pulitzer Prize
Robert Sommer, professor emeritus of psychology
G. Ledyard Stebbins, professor emeritus of genetics, National Medal of Science
Tracy I. Storer, professor emeritus, founder of Department of Zoology
Richard Swift (composer), professor emeritus, founder of Department of Music
Alan M. Taylor, professor of economics and finance
George Tchobanoglous, professor emeritus of civil and environmental engineering
Donald L. Turcotte, professor emeritus of earth and planetary sciences
Wayne Thiebaud, professor emeritus of art, National Medal of Arts
William Thurston, professor of mathematics (moved to Cornell), Fields Medalist
Robert Torrance, professor of comparative literature
Craig Tracy, professor of mathematics, American Academy of Arts & Sciences, Pólya Prize, Norbert Wiener Prize
Richard Aaker Trythall, professor of music, Guggenheim Fellow (1967)
Hulleah Tsinhnahjinnie, assistant professor of Native American studies and director of the C.N. Gorman Museum
Jessica Utts, professor of statistics (moved to Irvine)
Larry N. Vanderhoef, professor, College of Biological Sciences; UC Davis chancellor (2004–2009)
Geerat J. Vermeij, professor of geology, MacArthur Fellowship
Keith David Watenpaugh, professor of human rights studies
Joe Wenderoth, associate professor of English
Martha West, professor emerita of law
Roger J.-B. Wets, professor emeritus of mathematics
William T. Wiley, former art professor
Charles W. Woodworth, professor emeritus of entomology (1891-1930), founder of UCB Entomology Division, credited with founding the Dept. of Entomology at the Agricultural Experiment Station
Aram Yengoyan, professor of anthropologyList of tallest towers
This is a list of extant towers that fulfill the engineering definition of a tower: "a tall human structure, always taller than it is wide, for public or regular operational access by humans, but not for living in or office work, and are self-supporting or free-standing, which means no guy-wires for support." The definition means the exclusion from this list of continuously habitable buildings and skyscrapers as well as radio and TV masts. Also excluded from this list because they are not designed for public or regular operational access are bridge towers or pylons, chimneys, transmission towers, sculptures and most large statues and obelisks.
Towers are most often built to use their height for various purposes and can stand alone or as part of a larger structure. Some common purposes are for telecommunications, and as a viewing platform.
The Tokyo Skytree, completed in February 2012, is 634 m (2,080 ft), making it the tallest tower, and second-tallest free-standing structure in the world.Marginalia
Marginalia (or apostils) are marks made in the margins of a book or other document. They may be scribbles, comments, glosses (annotations), critiques, doodles, or illuminations.Municipalities of the canton of Bern
There are 346 municipalities in the canton of Berne, Switzerland (as of January 2019).Ostermundigen
Ostermundigen is a municipality in the Bern-Mittelland administrative district in the canton of Bern in Switzerland.
The city is the birthplace of screen legend, Ursula Andress.
Most of the buildings in the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Old City of Bern were built from sandstone quarried in Ostermundigen.Reformed Churches of the Canton Bern-Jura-Solothurn
The Evangelical Reformed Church of the Canton Bern-Jura-Solothurn is a Reformed state church in three cantons of Switzerland. It is located within the Canton of Bern, Canton of Jura, and Canton of Solothurn.
The official worship language are German and French. Languages during church services are Czech, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Korean and Slovak.
The denomination has a Presbyterian-Synodal church government.In 2004 it had 745,000 members, 230 parishes, and 1,000 house fellowships.Sokles
Sokles was an ancient Greek potter, active in the middle of the 6th century BC, in Athens.
The following signed Little-master cups or fragments thereof are known, all of them painted by the Sokles Painter:
Berlin, Antikensammlung F 1781
Bolligen, Collection Rolf Blatter
Daskyleion, Excavation E 108.107
Madrid, Museo Arqueologico Nacional 10947 (L 56)
Malibu (CA), J. Paul Getty Museum 86.AE.158
Oxford, Ashmolean Museum 1929.498
Switzerland, private collection
Taranto, Museo Archeologico Nazionale 20910He belongs to the group of so-called Little masters.
A red-figure plate in Paris, Louvre CA 2181, painted in style similar to that of the painter Paseas, is signed by a potter named Soklees. Whether that craftsman is identical with the black-figure potter Sokles remains unclear. The signature may also not be authentic.Twann
Twann (French: Douanne) was a municipality in the district of Nidau in the canton of Bern in Switzerland. On 1 January 2010 the municipalities of Tüscherz-Alfermée and Twann merged into the municipality of Twann-Tüscherz.Urtenen-Schönbühl
Urtenen-Schönbühl is a municipality in the Bern-Mittelland administrative district in the canton of Bern in Switzerland.