Blyth is a village and civil parish in the Bassetlaw district of the county of Nottinghamshire, in the East Midlands, north west of East Retford, on the River Ryton. The population of the civil parish as of the 2011 census is 1,233. It sits at a junction with the A1, and the end of the motorway section from Doncaster.
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
The village is situated on the A1 at the southern end of the fifteen-mile A1(M) Doncaster bypass, which opened in 1961. The Blyth roundabout was replaced in March 2008 by a grade separated junction (junction 34). The Moto Blyth Services are also at this junction. The £320,000 (equivalent to £7,240,000 in 2018), 1½ mile A614 Blyth Bypass was built at the same time as the Nottinghamshire section of the Doncaster Bypass and opened in 1960. The A614 became the A1 when the Doncaster bypass opened. Also passing through the village is the A634 from Maltby to Barnby Moor. The dual-carriageway £964,000 (equivalent to £17,640,000 in 2018), five-mile section of the A1 from Chequer House (Ranby) to Blyth opened in August 1966. The former A614 road through the town is now the A634 and B6045.
The priory church of St. Mary and St. Martin is one of the oldest examples of Norman architecture in the country. It was part of a Benedictine monastery founded in 1088. This priory was founded by Roger de Builli of Tickhill Castle, one of William the Conqueror's followers.
The founder and later benefactors endowed Blyth with lands, money and churches. It was staffed at first by monks from the Mother House, Holy Trinity Priory at Rouen France. In 1286 Thomas Russel had to be returned to Rouen because of his intolerable conduct and also John de Belleville, as the climate did not suit him. There are other records of the unruly conduct of French monks.
During a visitation of the priory in 1536 it was alleged that five of the monks were guilty of grave offences and it was surrendered. George Dalton, the Prior, received a pension of twenty marks, and this seems to have been the only pension awarded. The net annual income at the date of the surrender was £180. (equivalent to £100,000 in 2018).
After the Dissolution the east part of the church was demolished and a tower built at the west end of the nave.
See St Mary and St Martin's Church, Blyth for more information.
In 1603 Sir Edward Stanhope sold the Blyth estate to Robert Saunderson, of Gilthwaite, Rotherham.
In 1635 the 490 acre estate was sold by the Saunderson family to John Mellish, a London merchant. His son Edward, a merchant in Portugal, returned to England in 1671 and in 1684 commissioned the demolition of the old priory and the building of Blyth Hall immediately north of the church. The hall stood at approximately 53°22'45.39"N 1° 3'48.46"W. He was High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire for 1692–93 and died unmarried in 1703, leaving the property to Joseph Mellish, his cousin's son. It descended in the Mellish family until 1806, when it was sold to Joshua Walker, the son of an ironmaster from Rotherham.
Joshua's son and heir, Henry Frederick Walker (born 1807), was High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire for 1852–53. At the end of the 19th century the hall was bought by Francis Willey, 1st Baron Barnby, a Bradford wool merchant. He was High Sheriff for 1908–09 and was succeeded by his son Vernon Willey, 2nd Baron Barnby, who was the MP for South Bradford.
The hall was demolished in 1972 and the site is now occupied by a housing estate.
On the village green is the former Leper Hospital of St John the Evangelist, said to have been built by the Knights Hospitaller of St. John of Jerusalem. It was refounded in 1226, and was being used as a school in 1695.
The A1 is the longest numbered road in the UK, at 410 miles (660 km). It connects London, the capital of England, with Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland. It passes through or near North London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City, Stevenage, Baldock, Letchworth Garden City, Huntingdon, Peterborough, Stamford, Grantham, Newark-on-Trent, Retford, Doncaster, York, Ripon, Darlington, Durham, Sunderland, Gateshead, Newcastle upon Tyne, Alnwick and Berwick-upon-Tweed.It was designated by the Ministry of Transport in 1921, and for much of its route it followed various branches of the historic Great North Road, the main deviation being between Boroughbridge and Darlington. The course of the A1 has changed where towns or villages have been bypassed, and where new alignments have taken a slightly different route. Several sections of the route have been upgraded to motorway standard and designated A1(M). Between the M25 (near London) and the A696 (near Newcastle upon Tyne) the road has been designated as part of the unsigned Euroroute E15 from Inverness to Algeciras.Charles Mellish
Charles Mellish (6 July 1737 – 29 December 1796) was a British lawyer and politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1774 to 1784.Edward Manock
Edward Manock (30 June 1904 – 12 April 1983) was an English professional footballer who played as an inside forward. Born in Salford, he started his career as an amateur player in the Cheshire County League with Chester. He was signed by Football League Third Division North side Nelson on amateur terms in November 1929. Manock made his Nelson debut on 28 December 1929 in the 0–0 draw away at Southport, and the following month he was awarded a professional contract. He scored his first League goal in the 1–2 defeat against Stockport County at Seedhill. In total, he made 13 first-team appearances during his first season in Lancashire.
Manock was retained by Nelson for the 1930–31 season, but he played only one league match in the first eight months of the campaign. However, he was selected for the final four matches of the season, and scored his second goal for the club in the 1–4 loss to Southport on 18 April 1931. Manock was in the starting line-up for Nelson's last ever match in the Football League, a 0–4 defeat away at Hull City on 2 May 1931. Along with the majority of the playing squad, he left Nelson after they failed re-election to the League and were replaced by his former club, Chester.
Upon his release from Nelson, Manock returned to the Cheshire County League with Sandbach Ramblers. In October 1934 he joined the Pendleton Glass Works company team as an amateur. He moved to CWS Glass Works in Worksop, his final team, in September 1936. Manock died in Blyth, Nottinghamshire, on 12 April 1983 at the age of 78.Edward Mellish (priest)
Edward Mellish (b Blyth, Nottinghamshire 21 June 1766 – d Tuddenham 11 December 1830) was an Anglican priest in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.Mellish was educated at Eton College and Trinity College, Cambridge.
He held livings at Tuddenham, Honingham and Reymerston. He was Dean of Hereford from 1827 until his death.His grandson was a notable British diplomat.George Mellish
Sir George Mellish, PC (19 December 1814 – 15 June 1877) was an English barrister, judge of the Court of Appeal in Chancery, and member of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council.George Monckton-Arundell, 8th Viscount Galway
George Vere Arundel Monckton-Arundell, 8th Viscount Galway (24 March 1882 – 27 March 1943) was a British politician. He served as the fifth Governor-General of New Zealand from 1935 to 1941.Gerald Harrison
Rear-Admiral Gerald Cartmell Harrison (8 October 1883 – 10 August 1943) was an English officer of the Royal Navy and a first-class cricketer.Henry Ellison
Henry Richard Nevile Ellison (6 July 1868 – 7 October 1948) was an English cricketer. He was born at Blyth, Nottinghamshire.
Prior to playing for Nottinghamshire, Ellison made minor appearances for Lincolnshire from 1889 to 1893. He spent from at least December 1893 to December 1894 in India, where he played for the Madras Presidency and Madras. Ellison later made a single first-class appearance for Nottinghamshire against the Gentlemen of Philadelphia at Trent Bridge in 1897. In Nottinghamshire's first-innings, he scored 2 runs, before being dismissed by Bart King, while in their second-innings he was dismissed by John Lester for 3 runs. The match ended in a draw. He later played for Wiltshire in the Minor Counties Championship. Making his debut against Glamorgan in 1903, he played Minor counties cricket for the county in 1903 and 1904, making fourteen appearances.He died at Elstead, Surrey on 7 October 1948. Ellison's family is a cricketing one. His father Charles played for Lincolnshire in minor cricket. His own son, Peter, didn't play any representative cricket, but his son Richard Ellison played Test cricket for England and was a Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1986. Another grandson, Charles Ellison, also played first-class cricket. In 2011, his great-grandson Charlie Ellison made his debut in first-class cricket.Humber Bridge
The Humber Bridge, near Kingston upon Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England, is a 2.22-kilometre (2,430 yd; 7,300 ft; 1.38 mi) single-span road suspension bridge, which opened to traffic on 24 June 1981. When it opened, the bridge was the longest of its type in the world; it was not surpassed until 1998, with the completion of the Akashi Kaikyō Bridge, and is now the tenth-longest. It spans the Humber (an estuary formed by the rivers Trent and Ouse), between Barton-upon-Humber on the south bank and Hessle on the north bank, thereby connecting the East Riding of Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire. Both sides of the bridge were in the non-metropolitan county of Humberside until its dissolution in 1996. The bridge can be seen for miles around and from as far as Patrington in the East Riding of Yorkshire and out to sea miles off the coast. It is a Grade I listed building.
By 2006, the bridge carried an average of 120,000 vehicles per week. The toll was £3.00 each way for cars (higher for commercial vehicles), which made it the most expensive toll crossing in the United Kingdom. In April 2012, the toll was halved to £1.50 each way after the UK government deferred £150 million from the bridge's outstanding debt.John C. B. Firth
Major John Charles Bradley Firth (8 August 1894 – 23 August 1931) was a British World War I flying ace credited with 11 aerial victories while campaigning on the Italian Front.List of English abbeys, priories and friaries serving as parish churches
Nearly a thousand religious houses; abbeys, priories and friaries were founded in England and Wales during the medieval period; accommodating monks, friars or nuns who had taken vows of obedience, poverty and chastity; each house being led by an abbot or abbess, or by a prior or prioress. By their foundation monasteries and nunneries (although not friaries) had acquired endowments of land, property and parochial tithes, and many had become further enriched through subsequent bequests and pilgrim donations. The majority of these houses had come into existence between the 11th and 13th centuries, but by the 14th century decline had set in, hastened by the Black Death in the middle of the century. Later medieval benefactors increasingly regarded charitable and educational establishments, parish and collegiate churches as more appropriate recipients of bequests and donations; and by the early 16th century some religious communities had become very small, and few were more than half full. In those years a number were amalgamated or dissolved through the initiatives of reforming bishops, the wealth released being used to endow grammar schools and colleges at Oxford and Cambridge Universities.The process that has come to be known as the Dissolution of the Monasteries began formally in 1536 following the Act for Suppression of the Lesser Monasteries. This transferred the lands and the property of religious houses with an income of less than £200 (equivalent to £120,000 in 2018) a year to the crown. The motives behind this are complex, and include Henry VIII's conflict with the popes over his desire for a divorce, which led to the foundation of the Church of England; and also Henry's ambition to increase the income of the crown. Under this first Act, about one-third of the religious houses were closed. This resulted in the rebellion known as the Pilgrimage of Grace. The rebellion failed, and the process of dissolution was extended; abbots, abbesses and priors were placed under increasing pressure and threats in order to persuade them to surrender their monasteries to the crown; four who refused being accused of treason and executed. The last religious house to close was Waltham Abbey in March 1540.The wealth and properties of the monasteries came into the ownership of the crown, although much was soon sold off; but what happened to the buildings of the abbeys, priories and friaries themselves varied. Most of them were immediately stripped of their valuable lead roofs, and fell into decay. Parts of some were converted into mansions by new owners. But, in around ten per cent of cases, former monastic churches or other buildings have continued in religious use for parochial worship. This was necessarily the case for that small number of religious houses where part already functioned as a full parish church, as at Wymondham Abbey. Secondly, there were a number of instances where wealthy parishes, or their benefactors, purchased a former monastic church as a replacement parish church building, as at Selby Abbey. Thirdly were those cases where part of a monastic church building was already in parochial use as a chapel of ease served by a stipendiary priest, in which case the dissolution commissioners would seek, if possible, for these clergy to continue as perpetual curates on fixed annual stipends charged against the former monastic endowments; with an appropriate portion of the monastic church retained for them to use. Priories of the Augustinian order, in particular, had been required by their rule to maintain a chapel of ease within their church for parochial worship, with the consequence that partial survival is more common for former Augustinian priory churches. Churches of dissolved friaries on the other hand, even though they had commonly served worshipping urban congregations, were rarely able to continue in parochial use as friaries lacked the foundation endowments from which a perpetual curacy might be established. Fourthly, former monastic structures that had fallen into ruin at the dissolution, or continued in secular use, were not infrequently brought back into use for parochial worship in later years out of subsequent private benefactions.
Ten medieval English cathedrals had been 'monastic', in that they had been simultaneously abbeys, and eight of these (Bath and Coventry being the exceptions) were refounded as secular cathedrals by Henry VIII. A further six former abbeys were raised to be cathedrals of newly created dioceses. Other former abbeys and priories became parish churches; of which two, Saint Albans and Southwark have become cathedrals since, while both also continuing to serve their respective parishes. In some cases the whole of a former monastic church continued as a parish church; ranging from survivals of near cathedral scale, as at Sherborne Abbey, to very modest chapels such as Aconbury Priory. More commonly it is only parts of the original church that survived in parochial use, now incorporated into the fabric of a continuing church or chapel; as for example the north aisle of the nave of Wroxall Priory. At Beaulieu Abbey, it is the refectory that has been so converted. In a few cases, such as Tilty Abbey, the gatehouse chapel, the capella ante portas, now forms the parish church. Where former monastic churches were maintained after the dissolution as chapels of ease with their clergy as perpetual curates, in almost all instances these chapels will have been raised to full parish church status in the course of the 19th century.
117 former monastic buildings in England that have continued to function as parish churches or chapels of ease since the dissolution of the monasteries are included in this list, including some whose monastic functions had ceased much earlier; and also some whose conversion to parochial use happened in recent centuries. Churches are only listed where they maintain in situ at least some substantial elements of their former monastic fabric, the extent of which is noted. Excluded are those former monastic churches that have never functioned for parochial worship, including some, such as the chapel of Jesus College, Cambridge, that have remained otherwise in continuous religious use; and also those churches converted into cathedrals by Henry VIII. All these surviving monastic churches have been listed by English Heritage, most at Grade I, the others at Grade II* or II.List of numbered roads in the British Isles
This is a list of numbered roads in the British Isles.Owen Tudor
Sir Owen Tudor (Welsh: Owain ap Maredudd ap Tudur, c. 1400 – 2 February 1461) was a Welsh courtier and the second husband of Catherine of Valois (1401–1437), widow of King Henry V of England. He was the grandfather of Henry VII, founder of the Tudor dynasty. Owen was a descendant of a prominent family from Penmynydd on the Isle of Anglesey, which traces its lineage back to Ednyfed Fychan (d. 1246), a Welsh official and seneschal to the Kingdom of Gwynedd. Tudor's grandfather, Tudur ap Goronwy, married Margaret, daughter of Thomas ap Llywelyn ab Owain of Cardiganshire, the last male of the princely house of Deheubarth. Margaret's elder sister married Gruffudd Fychan of Glyndyfrdwy, whose son was Owain Glyndŵr. Owen's father, Maredudd ap Tudur, and his uncles were prominent in Owain Glyndŵr's revolt against English rule, the Glyndŵr Rising.St Mary and St Martin's Church, Blyth
St. Mary and St. Martin's Church, Blyth, is a Grade I listed parish church in Blyth, Nottinghamshire, England.Strafforth and Tickhill
Strafforth and Tickhill, originally known as Strafforth, was the southernmost wapentake in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England. The west of the district, plus a detached area in the east, constituted the Upper Division, while the central area and a detached part in the extreme east constituted the Lower Division.
Parishes in the Upper Division included Aston, Barnby Dun, Braithwell, Conisbrough, Dinnington, Ecclesfield, Firbeck, Handsworth, Harthill, Hatfield, Hooton Roberts, Laughton-en-le-Morthen, Maltby, Ravenfield, Rawmarsh, Rotherham, Sheffield, South Anston, Sprotborough, Thorpe Salvin, Thrybergh, Todwick, Treeton, Wales, Wath-upon-Dearne, Whiston, Wickersley and parts of Finningley.
The Lower Division included the parishes of Adwick-le-Street, Adwick-upon-Dearne, Arksey, Armthorpe, Bolton-upon-Dearne, Brodsworth, Darfield, Doncaster, Fishlake, High Melton, Hooton Pagnell, Kirk Sandal, Mexborough, Rossington, Thorne, Thurnscoe, Tickhill, Wadworth, Warmsworth, parts of Blyth, Nottinghamshire and the extra-parochial area of Hampole.
The original meeting place of the wapentake is unknown, but may have been the future site of Conisbrough Castle.The Earldom of Strafford takes its name from a variant of this district name, wherein the first incumbent Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford originated.William Mellish (banker)
William Mellish (c.1764-1838) was an English Tory politician and banker.He was the third son of William Mellish of Blyth, Nottinghamshire by his second wife Anne Gore.With his brother John, he owned the business of John and William Mellish & Co. Having served as a director and Deputy Governor, Mellish was made Governor of the Bank of England from 1814 to 1816.
He was elected Member of Parliament (MP) for Great Grimsby from 1796 to 1802 and from 1803 to 1806, then as MP for Middlesex from 1806 to 1820.
He never married.
|Boroughs or districts|