Blennerhassett Island

Blennerhassett Island, an island on the Ohio River below the mouth of the Little Kanawha River, is located near Parkersburg in Wood County, West Virginia, USA.

Historically, Blennerhassett Island was occupied by American Indians. Nemacolin, chief of the Delaware Nation made it his last home, dying in 1767. European Americans knew it as Backus Island, naming it for Elijah Backus who purchased it in 1792 in the wave of westward settlement following the American Revolutionary War.

In 1798 Harman Blennerhassett, a figure in the Aaron Burr "treason" conspiracy, purchased the east end of the island with his wife Margaret Agnew and it became known by their name.[1] Their residence, Blennerhassett House, where Burr and Blennerhassett are alleged to have plotted treason against the United States in the Burr Conspiracy, burned to the ground in 1811. That area has been designated the Blennerhassett Island Historical State Park and the island was named for him.

Blennerhassett Island
Blennerhassett Island
East end of Blennerhassett Island
LocationOhio River, West Virginia
Coordinates39°16′16″N 81°37′32″W / 39.2711863°N 81.6256827°WCoordinates: 39°16′16″N 81°37′32″W / 39.2711863°N 81.6256827°W

See also


  1. ^ Gibbens, Alvaro F., Historic Blennerhassett Island Home, Global Printing and Binding Co., Parkersburg, WV 1914.

External links


Blennerhassett may refer to:

Blennerhassett, West Virginia, USA

Blennerhassett Island, West Virginia, USA

Blennerhassett Island Historical State Park

Blennerhassett Island Bridge

Blennerhassett (opera)

Blennerhassett baronets

Blennerhassett, West Virginia

Blennerhassett is a census-designated place (CDP) in Wood County, West Virginia, United States. It is part of the Parkersburg-Marietta-Vienna, WV-OH Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 3,089 at the 2010 census.

Blennerhassett Hotel

Blennerhassett Hotel is a historic hotel located at Parkersburg, Wood County, West Virginia. It opened in 1889 and is in the Queen Anne style. The hotel was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. A full restoration took place in 1986. The Blennerhassett Hotel is also a member of Historic Hotels of America, the official program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. (The hotel website states that the property is "registered as a national historic landmark". This is undoubtedly a mistake for it being placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Only about three percent of Register listings are NHLs.)

In the late 1800s, money from oil and natural gas flooded into Parkersburg, West Virginia, and the town quickly became a vivacious city that welcomed businessmen and visitors from all over the country. Designed and built by William Chancellor, a prominent Parkersburg businessman, Blennerhassett opened in 1889 and quickly became a grand showplace for what would later be known as the Gaslight Era. The original hotel had approximately 50 guest rooms around a central staircase. Restrooms were common places on each of the four guest floors and the kitchen was located on the fifth floor. What is now the hotel's game room originally housed the First National Bank of Parkersburg and had the luxury of electricity.

The property was named after Harman and Margaret Blennerhassett, who settled on an island in the Ohio River in 1798 and built a Palladian mansion on their European-style estate (the island now called Blennerhassett Island). Their property was the envy of all locals, but they didn't rise to national fame until they allowed former Vice President Aaron Burr to use the island as the base of operations for his controversial military exhibition. Labeled as a conspiracy by some, the Blennerhassetts fled down the Ohio River to escape when militia invaded the island.

Blennerhassett Island Bridge

Blennerhassett Island Bridge opened to traffic June 13, 2008. The bridge is a Network Arch Bridge constructed at a cost of $120 million over the Ohio River between Belpre Township, Washington County, Ohio and Washington, West Virginia in the United States. Construction of the bridge was completed by the Walsh Construction Company of Chicago.The completion of the span, which carries U.S. Route 50, completed Corridor D between Interstate 275 east of Cincinnati to Interstate 79 at Clarksburg, West Virginia. Corridor D is a part of the Appalachian Development Highway System.

Blennerhassett Island Historical State Park

Blennerhassett Island Historical State Park is a state park located on Blennerhassett Island, a small island in the Ohio River, located in Wood County, West Virginia, USA. The property was the site of a Palladian mansion owned by Harman Blennerhassett, a participant in some of the alleged intrigues of Aaron Burr, and his wife Margaret Agnew. While the original mansion burned to the ground long ago, a detailed replica, which can be toured, has been built on its foundations. The Blennerhasset mansion greatly resembled George Washington's Mount Vernon, due to its Palladian style.The park is accessed via sternwheeler riverboat from Point Park on 2nd Street in Parkersburg, West Virginia. The riverboat ride takes about 20 minutes each way.

Corridor D

In the United States, Corridor D is part of the Appalachian Development Highway System. It travels from Bridgeport, West Virginia to Cincinnati, Ohio. It travels US 50 for much of its eastern portion. The western portion of road in Ohio is known as State Route 32. ADHS Funding is separate from other Federal Highway funds.

Harman Blennerhassett

Harman Blennerhassett (8 October 1765 – 2 February 1831) was an Anglo-Irish lawyer and politician.

List of islands of West Virginia

This is a list of islands of West Virginia.

List of plantations in West Virginia

Plantations that operated within the present-day boundaries of West Virginia were located in the counties of the Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians and in the Kanawha and Ohio River valley regions. Beginning in the mid-to-late 18th century, members of the Washington family and other prominent Virginia families began to build elegant Georgian mansions on their plantations in the Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians region of present-day West Virginia. Plantations initially developed in the counties lying within the Northern Neck Proprietary of Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron within the Shenandoah Valley and South Branch Potomac River valleys. Slavery as practiced through plantations in the American South was carried over from the plantations of the Piedmont and Tidewater regions of Virginia, where plantations had become the foundation of society and industry. Following the French and Indian War, settlement and agricultural development continued unabated in the Shenandoah and South Branch Potomac valleys. Early instances of western Virginia plantations with grand homes include the John Ariss-designed Harewood (1774) for George Washington's brother Samuel Washington and Happy Retreat (1780) built by Washington's younger brother Charles Washington, both of which are located near Charles Town in present-day Jefferson County. In Hampshire County, Nicholas Casey constructed a Georgian mansion (1774) at his Wappocomo plantation, one of the first plantation houses of its kind in the South Branch Potomac River valley.Plantations continued to develop along the fringes of present-day West Virginia. By the close of the 18th century, Harman Blennerhassett had constructed a mansion on his plantation on Blennerhassett Island and Moses Shepherd had built Shepherd Hall near Wheeling, both in the Ohio River valley. Despite the agricultural development of then western Virginia's bottomlands and the resulting wealth of the plantation owners, the hinterlands of the Allegheny Mountains and Allegheny Plateau regions remained underpopulated and inhabited by subsistence farmers of meager means into the middle of the 19th century. By the 1860 United States Census, Berkeley, Greenbrier, Hampshire, Hardy, Jefferson, Kanawha, and Monroe counties consequently had the largest populations of slaves in present-day West Virginia.The economic and political differences between western and eastern Virginia began to grow. Following Virginia's secession from the Union in 1861, the Restored Government of Virginia was established at Wheeling during the American Civil War. Despite West Virginia receiving Union statehood on June 20, 1863, sympathies and loyalties within the state's borders remained divided, especially within areas economically dependent upon the plantation system. However, slaveowners in western Virginia tended to own fewer slaves than their counterparts in eastern Virginia and many did not support Virginia's secession. In Mason County, where small farms were reliant upon slavery, its residents overwhelmingly supported the Union cause. During the war, many plantations in West Virginia served as preferred venues for military headquarters and meeting places for both Union and Confederate military officers due to their adequate accommodations and resources. Altona near Charles Town was utilized as a military headquarters and meeting place for Union generals Philip Sheridan and Ulysses S. Grant, with Sheridan making use of the farm's horses and carriage. Other plantations, like Mill Island and Willow Wall near Moorefield, and Elmwood near Shepherdstown, were utilized as hospitals for wounded soldiers and irregulars.In anticipation of the passage of the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, the West Virginia Legislature at Wheeling passed an act abolishing slavery in West Virginia on February 3, 1865, thus ending the institution of the plantation in West Virginia. Since the 1960s, many of West Virginia's plantation houses have acquired places on the National Register of Historic Places, the United States government's official list of sites, buildings, and structures deemed worthy of preservation. The house at Traveller's Rest, near Kearneysville, is West Virginia's sole plantation house designated as a National Historic Landmark for its national-level historical significance. As of 2015, the majority of West Virginia's plantation houses remain under private ownership.

Margaret Agnew Blennerhassett

Margaret Agnew Blennerhassett (1771 – June 16, 1842) was an English-American poet and aristocrat.

Minnie Kendall Lowther

Minnie Kendall Lowther (March 17, 1869 — September 18, 1947) was an American journalist, editor, and local historian. Her name sometimes appears as Minnie Kendall-Lowther.

National Register of Historic Places listings in Wood County, West Virginia

This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Wood County, West Virginia.

This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Wood County, West Virginia, United States. The locations of National Register properties and districts for which the latitude and longitude coordinates are included below, may be seen in a Google map.There are 46 properties and districts listed on the National Register in the county. Another 4 properties were once listed but have been removed.

This National Park Service list is complete through NPS recent listings posted February 8, 2019.


Nemacolin (c. 1715 – c.1767) was a hereditary chief of the Delaware Nation who helped Thomas Cresap widen a Native American path across the Allegheny Mountains to the Ohio River Valley.

Ohio State Route 32

State Route 32, also known as SR 32 and the James A. Rhodes Appalachian Highway, is a major east–west highway across the southern portion of the U.S. state of Ohio. It is the eighth longest state route in Ohio. It leads from eastern Cincinnati, near the border between the neighborhoods of Linwood, Mount Lookout, and Columbia-Tusculum, to the Parkersburg-Belpre Bridge across the Ohio River in Belpre.

Except in Belpre, leading up to the bridge into West Virginia, the entire route outside Cincinnati's beltway (Interstate 275) is a high-speed four-lane divided highway, forming the Ohio portion of Corridor D of the Appalachian Development Highway System. This corridor continues east across the Ohio River over the Blennerhassett Island Bridge.

P. Schuyler Miller

Peter Schuyler Miller (February 21, 1912 – October 13, 1974) was an American science fiction writer and critic.

Parkersburg, West Virginia

Parkersburg is a city in and the county seat of Wood County, West Virginia, United States. Located at the confluence of the Ohio and Little Kanawha rivers, it is the state's third-largest city and the largest city in the Parkersburg-Marietta-Vienna metropolitan area. The population was 31,492 at the 2010 census. Its peak population was 44,797 in 1960. The city is about 14 miles south of Marietta, Ohio.

The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad reached Parkersburg in 1857, but lacked a crossing over the Ohio River until after the American Civil War. When the B&O completed the Parkersburg Bridge (CSX) 1868–1870 to Belpre, it was the longest railroad bridge in the world.

The Bureau of the Public Debt, an agency of the U.S. Treasury Department, was relocated from the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area in the late 20th century and headquartered in Parkersburg. In October 2012, it was merged with the Financial Management Service to form the Bureau of the Fiscal Service.

Parkersburg–Belpre Bridge

The Parkersburg–Belpre Bridge is a four-lane cantilever bridge that connects Parkersburg, West Virginia to Belpre, Ohio across the Ohio River. The bridge was completed in 1980. The bridge had been signed U.S. Route 50 (US 50) until June 13, 2008, when that highway was re-routed to the Blennerhassett Island Bridge a few miles to the west, as part of the completion of the Corridor D project around Parkersburg.

The Nobility

The Nobility is a rock and roll band based in Nashville, Tennessee, currently composed of Sean Williams (lead vocals, rhythm guitar), Stephen Jerkins (background vocals, keys), Cheyenne Medders (background vocals, bass) and Will Medders (background vocals, drums). At certain performances they are joined by a third Medders brother, Carson on lead guitar.

U.S. Route 50 in West Virginia

U.S. Route 50 (US 50) in West Virginia runs from the border with Ohio to Virginia, passing briefly through Garrett County, Maryland, and following the Northwestern Turnpike. Prior to the U.S. Highway System it was West Virginia Route 1 and in the 1930s, the road was not finished in Maryland. At that time, motorists had to open a gate at the state line and drive on a dirt path until again reaching the other state line. Today the section of US 50 from Clarksburg to Parkersburg on the Ohio River is part of Corridor D of the Appalachian Development Highway System.

For much of its length, Route 50 roughly parallels the North Bend Rail Trail and crosses the trail at three places.

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.