The Bishop of Exeter is the Ordinary of the Church of England Diocese of Exeter in the Province of Canterbury. The current incumbent, since 30 April 2014, is Robert Atwell. The incumbent signs his name as his Christian name or forename followed by Exon., abbreviated from the Latin Episcopus Exoniensis ("Bishop of Exeter").
From the first bishop until the sixteenth century the Bishops of Exeter were in full communion with the Roman Catholic Church. However, during the Reformation the Church of England broke away from the authority of the Pope and the Roman Catholic Church, at first temporarily and later more permanently. Since the Reformation, the Bishop and Diocese of Exeter has been part of the reformed and catholic Church of England. The bishop's residence is The Palace, Exeter.
Bishop of Exeter
Arms of the Bishop of Exeter: Gules, a sword erect in pale argent hilted or surmounted by two keys addorsed in saltire of the last
|Residence||The Palace, Exeter|
Leofric (first Bishop of Exeter)
|Established||905 (founded at Tawton)|
912 (translated to Crediton)
1050 (translated to Exeter)
|Cathedral||Exeter Cathedral (1112–present)|
The history of Christianity in the South West of England remains to some degree obscure. At a certain point the historical county of Devon formed part of the diocese of Wessex. About 703 Devon and Cornwall were included in the separate Diocese of Sherborne and in 900 this was again divided, the Devon bishop having from 905 his seat at Tawton (now Bishop's Tawton) and from 912 at Crediton, birthplace of St Boniface. Lyfing became Bishop of Crediton in 1027 and shortly afterwards became Bishop of Cornwall.
According to Tristram Risdon (died 1640), the present village of Bishops Tawton, on the River Taw two miles south of Barnstaple in North Devon, was the earliest bishop's see in the shire of Devon, when in 905
"Edward, surnamed Senior, a nurse-father of the church, finding these western parts to want ecclesiastical discipline, by the advice of Pleymond, (sic) Archbishop of Canterbury, ordained a provincial synod and decreed that three new bishops should be consecrated, whereupon Edulph was appointed to Wells, Herstan to Cornwall and Werstan to Devon, who had here his see, where after him one only of his successors sat being hence removed to Crediton".
Werstan's successor appears to have been Putta (bishop 906–910), who was murdered whilst travelling from his see at Tawton to visit the Saxon viceroy Uffa, whose residence was at Crediton. It is believed that Copplestone Cross, mentioned in a charter dated 947 and situated 6 miles north-west of Crediton and 22 miles south-east of Bishops Tawton, was erected in commemoration of his murder.
The Diocese of Crediton was created out of the Diocese of Sherborne in 909 to cover the area of Devon and Cornwall. Crediton was chosen as the site for its cathedral possibly due it having been the birthplace of Saint Boniface and the existence of a monastery there.
In 1046, Leofric became the Bishop of Crediton. Following his appointment he decided that the see should be moved to the larger and more culturally significant and defensible walled town of Exeter. In 1050, King Edward the Confessor authorised that Exeter was to be the seat of the bishop for Devon and Cornwall and that a cathedral was to be built there for the bishop's throne. Thus, Leofric became the last diocesan Bishop of Crediton and the first Bishop of Exeter.
The two dioceses of Crediton and Cornwall, covering Devon and Cornwall, were permanently united under Edward the Confessor by Lyfing's successor Leofric, hitherto Bishop of Crediton, who became first Bishop of Exeter under Edward the Confessor, which was established as his cathedral city in 1050. At first the Abbey Church of St Mary and St Peter, founded by Athelstan in 932, rebuilt in 1019, etc., finally demolished 1971, served as the cathedral.
The present cathedral was begun by William de Warelhurst in 1112, the transept towers he built being the only surviving part of the Norman building, which was completed by Marshall at the close of the twelfth century. The cathedral is dedicated to St Peter.
As it now stands, the cathedral is in the decorated style. It was begun by Peter Quinel (1280–1291), continued by Bytton and Stapeldon, and completed, much as it has since remained, by John Grandisson during his long tenure of 42 years.
In many respects Exeter cathedral resembles those of France rather than others found in England. Its special features are the transept towers and the choir, containing much early stained glass. There is also an episcopal throne, separated from the nave by a choir screen (1324) and a stately West front. In a comparison with certain other English cathedrals, it is perhaps disadvantaged by the absence of a central tower and a general lack of elevation, but it is undoubtedly very fine.
The bishops of Exeter, like the general population of the diocese, always enjoyed considerable independence, and the see was one of the largest and richest in England. The remoteness of the see from London prevented it from being bestowed on statesmen or courtiers, so that over the centuries the roll of bishops possessed more capable scholars and administrators than in many other sees. The result was a long and stable line of bishops, leading to active Christian observance in the area.
The diocese contained 604 parishes grouped in four archdeaconries: Cornwall, Barnstaple, Exeter, and Totnes. There were Benedictine, Augustinian, Premonstratensian, Franciscan and Dominican religious houses, and four Cistercian abbeys.
This wealthy diocese was forced to cede land during the reign of Henry VIII, when Vesey was obliged to surrender fourteen of twenty-two manors, and the value of the see was reduced to a third of what it had been. Vesey, despite his Catholic sympathies, held the see until 1551, when he finally had to resign, and was replaced by the Bible translator Miles Coverdale. Following the accession of Mary, in 1553, Vesey was restored, but died soon after in 1554. He was succeeded by James Turberville, the last Catholic Bishop of Exeter. Turberville was removed from the see by the Reformist Elizabeth I in 1559, and died in prison, probably in or about 1570.
Henry Phillpotts served as Bishop of Exeter from 1830 to his death in office in 1869. He was England's longest serving bishop since the 14th century. The diocese was divided in 1876 along the border of Devon and Cornwall, creating the Diocese of Truro (but five parishes which were at the time in Devon were included in this diocese as they had always been within the Archdeaconry of Cornwall). The diocese covers the County of Devon. The see is in the City of Exeter where the seat is located at the Cathedral Church of Saint Peter which was founded as an abbey possibly before 690. The current incumbent is Robert Atwell.
|Bishops at Tawton|
|c. 905||c. 906||Werstan|
|c. 906||c. 910||Putta|
|Bishops of Crediton|
|973||977||Sideman||Died on 30 April 977 or 1 or 2 May 977.|
|?||c.990||Alfred of Malmesbury|
|1027||1046||Lyfing||Also Bishop of Cornwall and Worcester; died in March 1046.|
|1046||1050||Leofric||Consecrated on 19 April 1046; also Bishop of Cornwall; became the first Bishop of Exeter in 1050.|
|In 1050, Leofric transferred the see to Exeter.|
|Pre-Reformation Bishops of Exeter|
|1050||1072||Leofric||The first bishop who united and transferred the sees of Crediton and Cornwall to Exeter|
|1155||1160||Robert of Chichester|
|1186||1191||John the Chanter|
|1206||1214||See vacant||Due to Pope Innocent III's interdict against King John's realms.|
|1214||1223||Simon of Apulia|
|1224||1244||William Briwere||Also recorded as William Brewer|
|1245||1257||Richard Blund||Also recorded as Richard Blundy|
|1258||1280||Walter Branscombe||Also recorded as Walter Bronescombe|
|1280||1291||Peter Quinel||Also recorded as Peter de Quivel or Quivil|
|1291||1307||Thomas Bitton||Also recorded as Thomas de Bytton|
|1308||1326||Walter de Stapledon|
|1327||John Godeley||Also recorded as John Godele. Elected, but quashed.|
|1370||1394||Thomas de Brantingham||Also recorded as Thomas Brantyngham|
|1419||John Catterick||Also recorded as John Ketterick. Translated from Lichfield.|
|1420||1455||Edmund Lacey||Also recorded as Edmund Lacy. Translated from Hereford.|
|1455||1456||John Hales||Appointed, but resigned before consecration.|
|1458||1465||George Neville||Translated to York|
|1478||1487||Peter Courtenay||Translated to Winchester|
|1487||1492||Richard Foxe||Translated to Bath and Wells|
|1493||1495||Oliver King||Translated to Bath and Wells|
|1496||1502||Richard Redman||Translated from St Asaph; later translated to Ely|
|1502||1504||John Arundel||Translated from Lichfield|
|Bishops of Exeter during the Reformation|
|1519||1551||John Vesey (resigned)|
|1553||1554||John Vesey (restored)|
|Post-Reformation Bishops of Exeter|
|1560||1571||William Alley||Also recorded as William Alleyn|
|1595||1597||Gervase Babington||Translated to Worcester|
|1627||1641||Joseph Hall||Translated to Norwich|
|1660||1662||John Gauden||Translated to Worcester|
|1662||1667||Seth Ward||Translated to Salisbury|
|1667||1676||Anthony Sparrow||Translated to Norwich|
|1676||1688||Thomas Lamplugh||Translated to York|
|1689||1707||Sir Jonathan Trelawny, Bt.||Translated from Bristol; later translated to Winchester|
|1717||1724||Lancelot Blackburne||Translated to York|
|1742||1746||Nicholas Clagett||Translated from St David's|
|1797||1803||Reginald Courtenay||Translated from Bristol|
|1803||1807||John Fisher||Translated to Salisbury|
|1807||1820||George Pelham||Translated from Bristol; later translated to Lincoln|
|1820||1830||William Carey||Translated to St Asaph|
|1830||Christopher Bethell||Translated from Gloucester; later translated to Bangor|
|1869||1885||Frederick Temple||Translated to London|
|1901||1903||Herbert Edward Ryle||Translated to Winchester|
|1916||1936||Lord William Cecil|
|1936||1948||Charles Curzon||Translated from Stepney|
|1973||1985||Eric Mercer||Translated from Birkenhead|
|1985||1999||Hewlett Thompson||Translated from Willesden|
|1999||2013||Michael Langrish||Translated from Birkenhead|
|2014||present||Robert Atwell|| Translated from Stockport|
Anthony Sparrow (1612–1685) was an English Anglican priest. He was Bishop of Norwich and Bishop of Exeter.Bishop of Crediton
The Bishop of Crediton is an episcopal title which takes its name from the town of Crediton in Devon, England. The title was originally used by the Anglo-Saxons in the 10th and 11th centuries for a diocese covering Devon and Cornwall. It is now used by the Church of England as the title of a suffragan bishop who assists the diocesan Bishop of Exeter.Douglas Dettmer
Douglas James Dettmer (born 1964) has been the Archdeacon of Totnes since 2015.Dettmer was educated at the University of Kansas and ordained in 1991. After a curacy in Ilfracombe he was Domestic Chaplain to the Bishop of Exeter from 1994 to 1998. He was then Priest in charge of Thorverton and Stoke Canon until 2010 when he became Rector of Brampford Speke.Edward Bickersteth (bishop of Exeter)
Edward Henry Bickersteth (25 January 1825 – 16 May 1906) was a bishop in the Church of England.Exeter Cathedral
Exeter Cathedral, properly known as the Cathedral Church of Saint Peter in Exeter, is an Anglican cathedral, and the seat of the Bishop of Exeter, in the city of Exeter, Devon, in South West England. The present building was complete by about 1400, and has several notable features, including an early set of misericords, an astronomical clock and the longest uninterrupted vaulted ceiling in England.Henry Marshal (bishop of Exeter)
Henry Marshal (died 1206) was a medieval Bishop of Exeter.Hewlett Thompson
Geoffrey Hewlett Thompson (born 14 August 1929) is a retired Anglican bishop. He is a former Bishop of Exeter in the Church of England.
Thompson was educated at Aldenham School and Trinity Hall, Cambridge. After National Service in the Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment, he studied for ordination at Cuddesdon College and began his ordained ministry with a curacy at St Matthew's Northampton after which he was first vicar of St Augustine, Wisbech and subsequently of St Saviour's Folkestone. He was consecrated to the episcopate as suffragan Bishop of Willesden in 1974, became area bishop upon the foundation of the London area scheme in 1979 and six years later he was translated to diocesan Bishop of Exeter. In retirement he continues to serve the church as an honorary assistant bishop within the Diocese of Carlisle.John Arundel (bishop of Exeter)
John Arundel (died 1504) was a medieval Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield and Bishop of Exeter.John Catterick
John Catterick (died 1419) was a medieval Bishop of St David's, Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield, and Bishop of Exeter.
Catterick was consecrated Bishop of St David's in the early part of 1414, and translated to the Diocese of Coventry and Lichfield on 1 February 1415. He was then transferred to the Diocese of Exeter on 20 November 1419.Catterick died as Bishop of Exeter on 28 December 1419.Catterick's tombstone is in Santa Croce in Florence.John Hales (bishop of Exeter)
John Hales was a medieval Bishop of Exeter.
Hales was provided on 20 October 1455 but was never consecrated as he resigned about 4 February 1456.John Ross (bishop of Exeter)
John Ross or Rosse (1719–1792) was an English Bishop of Exeter.Leofric (bishop)
Leofric (before 1016–1072) was a medieval Bishop of Exeter. Probably a native of Cornwall, he was educated on the continent. At the time Edward the Confessor was in exile before his succession to the English throne, Leofric joined his service and returned to England with him. After he became king, Edward rewarded Leofric with lands. Although a 12th-century source claims Leofric held the office of chancellor, modern historians agree he never did so.
Edward appointed Leofric as Bishop of Cornwall and Bishop of Crediton in 1046, but because Crediton was a small town, the new bishop secured papal permission to move the episcopal seat to Exeter in 1050. At Exeter, Leofric worked to increase the income and resources of his cathedral, both in lands and in ecclesiastical vestments. He was a bibliophile, and collected many manuscripts; some of these he gave to the cathedral library, including a famous manuscript of poetry, the Exeter Book. Leofric died in 1072; although his remains were moved to the new Exeter Cathedral which was built after his death, their location is no longer known and the current tomb does not mark his resting place.Oliver King
Oliver King (c. 1432 – 29 August 1503) was a Bishop of Exeter and Bishop of Bath and Wells who restored Bath Abbey after 1500.Peter Courtenay
Peter Courtenay (c. 1432 – 23 September 1492) was Bishop of Exeter and Bishop of Winchester, and also had a successful political career during the tumultuous years of the Wars of the Roses.Reginald Courtenay (bishop of Exeter)
Henry Reginald Courtenay (1741–1803) was an English Bishop of Bristol and Bishop of Exeter.Richard Foxe
Richard Foxe (sometimes Richard Fox) (c. 1448 – 5 October 1528) was an English churchman, successively Bishop of Exeter, Bath and Wells, Durham, and Winchester, Lord Privy Seal, and founder of Corpus Christi College, Oxford.Richard Redman (bishop)
Richard Redman (died 1505) was a medieval Bishop of St Asaph, Bishop of Exeter, and Bishop of Ely, as well as the commissary-general for the Abbot of Prémontré between 1459 and his death.
Redman was consecrated as Bishop of St Asaph after 13 October 1471.Redman was translated to Exeter on 6 November 1495.Redman was then translated to Ely on 26 May 1501. He died while Bishop of Ely on 24 August 1505.Robert Atwell
Robert Ronald Atwell (born 3 August 1954) is a British Anglican bishop, writer, and former Benedictine monk. Since April 2014, he has been the Bishop of Exeter. From 2008 to 2014, he was Bishop of Stockport, a suffragan bishop in the Diocese of Chester.Thomas de Brantingham
Thomas de Brantingham (died 1394) was an English clergyman who served as Lord Treasurer to Edward III and on two occasions to Richard II, and as bishop of Exeter from 1370 until his death. De Brantingham was a member of the Brantingham family of North East England.
Edward III obtained preferment for him in the church, and from 1361 to 1368 he was employed in France in responsible positions. At an early stage in de Brantingham's career, de Brantingham served as Keeper of the Wardrobe. He was closely associated with William of Wykeham, and while the latter was in power as chancellor, Brantingham was Lord Treasurer to Edward III (from 1369 to 1371), and on two later occasions to Richard II (from 1377 to 1381; and in 1389), being appointed Bishop of Exeter on 5 March 1370 and consecrated as such on 12 May 1370. De Brantingham died in December 1394, probably on the 23rd, and was buried in the nave of Exeter cathedral.
Bishops of Exeter
|Bishops of Crediton|
|Church of England|
|Church in Wales|
| Scottish Episcopal|
|Church of Ireland|