|Bhadreshwar Jain Temple|
Vasai Jain Temple
|Location||Bhadresar, Kutch district, Gujarat, India|
Location within Gujarat
It is believed to be one of the oldest Jain temples in India, although they have been renovated and rehabilitated from time to time. The temple is said to be first renovated by King Sidhsen of Bhadrawati in 449 B.C. . It is said a Jain layman named Devchandra laid the foundation stone of this temple centuries ago. In year 1125, the temple was renovated extensively by Jagdusha. The temples have been destroyed many times due to natural calamities like earthquakes and the chronicles of Mistris of Kutch, mention that they were the architects and artisans, who renovated temples during the earthquakes of 1819, 1844–45 and 1875.
In former temple, the lower part was considered the oldest in age, perhaps about 1170. The temple complex was expanded with the corridors, then the outer wings, then the shrine, and last of all the porch. The temple complex was again completely devastated in earthquake of 26 January 2001, however, it has now been completely rebuilt to as many of the old shrines were destroyed to the extent that it could not be rehabilitated.
The general plan is like that of the Dilwara Temples on mount Abu. It stands in a court about 48 feet wide by 85 long, surrounded by a row of forty-four shrines with a corridor in front. The temple stands in a courtyard, which, from the line of the temple front, is covered by three pillared domes. The temple, facing the east, is entered by a flight of steps that rise from the outer door to the covered area in front of the sanctuary. Over the porch is another large dome covering an area separated by a low screen wall from the area of the entrance hall, mandap, between it and the front of the temple itself. At the south-west corner and behind the cells on the left side is a row of chambers with cellars entered by lifting up flagstones in the floor. In the shrine are three white marble images. The central image is Ajitnath, the second of the Tirthankars, with the date 622 probably for Samvat 1622 or AD 1565. On his right is Parshwanath with the snake hood marked 1175 (Samvat 1232), and on his left Santinath, the 16th Tirthankar, also marked 1175 (Samvat 1232) . On the extreme right is the image of the black or Shamla Parshwanath.
Bhadresar or Bhadreshwar is a village in Mundra Taluka, Kutch district of Gujarat, India. It is about 27 km from Taluka headquarters Mundra and barely a kilometer away from the seashore.Chamundaraja (Chaulukya dynasty)
Chamundaraja (IAST: Cāmuṇḍarāja, r. c. 996–1008 CE) was an Indian king who ruled parts of present-day Gujarat from his capital at Anahilapataka (modern Patan). He was a member of the Chaulukya (also called Chalukya or Solanki) dynasty.Chavda dynasty
The Chavda (IAST:Chávaḍá), also spelled Chawda or Chavada, dynasty ruled region of modern-day northern Gujarat in India, from c. 690 to 942. Variants of the name for the dynasty include Chapa, Chahuda, Chávoṭakas and Chāpoṭkata.
During the seventh century, Panchasar was the capital of Chavda ruler Jayaśekhara. In c. 697, Panchasar was attacked and Jayaśekhara was killed. His wife had fled and she gave birth to Vanraja, the founder (746 or 765) of Aṇahilaváḍa and most prominent ruler of dynasty. According to Prabandhachintámaṇi, he ruled for 60 years. He was succeeded by Yogaraja (ruled 35 years), followed by Kshemraja (25 years), Bhuyada (29 years), Virsimha (25 years) and Ratnaditya (15 years). Ratnaditya was succeeded by Samantsimha (also known as Chuyadadeva) who ruled seven years. Samantsimha did not have any children so he adopted his nephew Mularaja who overthrew him in 942 and established the Chaulukya dynasty.Durlabharaja (Chaulukya dynasty)
Durlabha-raja (r. c. 1008–1022 CE) was an Indian king who ruled parts of present-day Gujarat from his capital at Anahilapataka (modern Patan). He was a member of the Chaulukya (also called Chalukya or Solanki) dynasty.