|Bembridge Lifeboat Station|
Bembridge Lifeboat Station
Location of Bembridge Lifeboat station within Isle of Wight
|Type||RNLI Lifeboat Station|
|Architectural style||Boathouse built on piles|
|Location||Lane End, Bembridge, Isle of Wight, PO35 5TD|
|Owner||Royal National Lifeboat Institution|
|Material||Concrete and Steel|
The station is located on the eastern approaches to the Solent Estuary and is south of the area of the Solent known as Spithead. The station is on one of the busiest shipping lanes in United Kingdom waters, used by over 100,000 commercial ships per annum.
The main boathouse stands away from the shore on a piled platform with slipway, and is linked to the shore by means of a gangway. The station operates two lifeboats. The All weather lifeboat is a Tamar-class and is called RNLB Alfred Albert Williams (ON 1297) and has been at the station since 2010. The second lifeboat is an Inshore lifeboat and is a D-class (IB1) and is called RNLB Dorothy Beatrice May Gorman (D-649). The inshore lifeboat is kept in a boathouse on the shore next to the pier head of the main boathouse gangway.
The first lifeboat service began at Bembridge in 1867. A boathouse was built at Lane End at a cost of £165, and the first lifeboat was launched from here by means of a carriage. The first lifeboat on station was a self-righting pulling lifeboat and was 32 feet 0 inches (9.75 m) and 7 feet 6 inches (2.29 m) in beam. She was paid for by the subscriptions of the citizens of Worcester and was named RNLB City of Worcester. The first boathouse was enlarged between 1902 and 1903 and was used right up until 1922.
By 1922 the RNLI realised that given Bembridge's location that the station required a motor lifeboat to replace the old pulling lifeboat. This change-over would require the construction of a new boathouse. To launch a motor lifeboat the RNLI had to build a concrete pier some 250 yards in length from the shore to the outer ridge of rocks. At the seaward end of the pier, a platform was constructed on concrete piles, with a concrete, timber and steel launching slipway directly into deep water outside the reef. Following the construction of the new facility, a single-screw motor Lifeboat of the self-righting type arrived at the station. This lifeboat was christened and launched by a lady of the donor's family. The lifeboat was named RNLB Langham (ON 676) after the gentleman who had presented the legacy. The improvements made to the station at this time made Bembridge the most state of the art station in the country and gave the crew the capability to be at sea in just 14 minutes. The new motor lifeboat also extended the range of the station, which in turn led to the closure of the neighbouring stations of Brook and Brighstone.
Further improvements to the station were undertaken at the station in 1939. Work was carried out on the boathouse to enlarge its capacity to accommodate a new Watson-class Twin screw motor lifeboat. The new lifeboat was the RNLB Jesse Lumb (ON 822) which arrived on station and was christened and was dedicated by the Right Rev. Lord Bishop of Salisbury, Dr. Neville Lovett, D.D. on 21 July 1939. The new Lifeboat was funded from the legacy presented to the Institution by a gentleman of London and Leicester named Lumb. Jesse Lumb's service at Bembridge ended in 1970. She then spent some years in the RNLI relief fleet before being acquired by the Imperial War Museum and placed on display at the museum's branch at Duxford in Cambridgeshire. She became part of the National Historic Fleet in August 1999, with certificate number 1759.
In 1964 the RNLI established an inshore lifeboat service which became part of the Bembridge station and utilised the 1867 boathouse at Lane end to house the D-class ILB.
The boathouse was once again altered and improved to accommodate a new lifeboat. The new lifeboat was the Solent-class RNLB Jack Shayler and the Lees (ON 1009) which served on station from 1970 until 1978.
In 1987 the station was allocated a new Tyne-class lifeboat. The boathouse once again had to be altered to accommodate the bigger boat. This re-development included the installation of new fuel storage tank. RNLB Max Aitken III (ON 1126) was on the station from 1987 until 2010. In 1989 work was done on the slipway to extend the toe.
In 1994 further improvements were made to the station with vital major repairs made to the slipway. The old station used for the inshore boat at lane end had work carried out in the roof space to create space for improved crew facilities.
In 2009 a new lifeboat was to be placed on station which needed major re-development of the offshore boathouse which would involve the building of a completely new boathouse. The Bembridge station launched an appeal to the public with the aim of raising £1 million towards the projected £10 million required for the station and new lifeboat. Demolition of the old station began in May 2009. The old Tyne-class Max Aitken III was retired to the relief fleet and the station was allocated the Mersey-class RNLB Peggy & Alex Caird (ON 1124) to cover the station whilst the new station was built. The Peggy & Alex Caird was stationed just outside the harbour at the Point in Bembridge and launched across the beach by a semi-submersible Talus MB-H (T100) fully tracked tractor. The new station was the third purpose-built house and slipway specifically built to facilitate the Tamar-class lifeboat with the first built at Cromer. The architects were Alan Culshaw Architects with Opus and Hoare Lea carrying out the engineering design for the station. The design brief for this station was to achieve a facility which would allow the lifeboat to reach 95% of casualties within 30 minutes of launch, at virtually any point within 50 miles of Bembridge. The 160metre long elevated walkway which would provide access to the offshore station was engineered by Opus. The station facilities on the shore at Lane End were also reconstructed at this time with the work carried out by Stoneham Construction. The work carried out required that parts of the building which dated back to the nineteenth century original boathouse were to be kept. These older sections of the boathouse were carefully protected and preserved whilst the new building was gradually erected all around them. Work carried out included the installing of a modern state-of-the-art deep bored ground source heat pump, and a new piled foundation for the new inshore lifeboat hall. Within the new building, changing rooms for the lifeboat men were installed and a training room was completed on the first floor above, together with an office. The station was also provided with a new souvenir shop.
The new boathouse, station and gangway was completed by October 2010 and cost £7,650,000. On 27 September 2010 the new Tamar-class lifeboat was deployed to the new station. It is called RNLB Alfred Albert Williams (ON 1297)' and it became operational in the early days of October.
On 3 February 1916 the SS Empress Queen became stranded in thick fog on the Ring Rocks, Bembridge Ledge, off the Foreland at the eastern extremity of the Isle of Wight. The ship was returning to Southampton from Le Havre with 1,300 men and a large quantity of ammunition on board. In foul weather, and the fog shutting down visibility to just a few yards, she ran ashore at 05:00hrs on the Ring Rocks. She ran well up on to them on a rising tide, the wind was light, and the sea was calm. A destroyer was used to take off the troops; the crew remained on board as efforts were made to pull the vessel off. It was not expected to be a difficult task, but it proved impossible. The weather changed in a matter of hours and a gale blew up. The Bembridge lifeboat RNLB Queen Victoria was launched to service when the tide was favourable and arrived at the stricken vessel but was unable to anchor. After a considerable struggle, the lifeboat was able to retrieve a line thrown from the wrecked ship. During the struggle with the rope the Bembridge Coxswain John Holbrook sustained a severe injury to his hand but even with this difficulty, he managed to make four trips to the wreck lifting 110 people and the ship's cat and dog and landing them to shore safely. During these rescues the Queen Victoria was badly damaged on the rocks and on the last trip was in a water-logged condition. The nine remaining people aboard the wreck were taken off by a fishing boat. For his part in the service John Holbrook was awarded an RNLI silver medal.
On the morning of 28 August 1919 there was heavy rain in a strong southerly gale. Into very heavy seas the lifeboat Queen Victoria was sent out on a service. An American ship called the USS Wakulla (ID-3147) of Los Angeles, had been driven ashore onto a shoal at West Wittering, near Chichester. At the scene, the lifeboat noted that the Wakulla had been taken into tow by a government tug which had progressed to the windward side of the ship. In heavy seas the Queen Victoria with great courage and skill got alongside the vessel and was able to take off 13 men of the crew, and landed them safely to land. The lifeboat then returned to the Wakulla and stood by until 4:00 am. By that time the weather had moderated and the wind had shifted. By this time Coxswain John Holbrook had been at the helm for 19 hours. For his part in this rescue he was awarded an RNLI silver medal.
On 29 January 1940 there was an easterly blizzard with heavy seas in the English Channel. Following a distress call it was into these conditions that the Watson-class lifeboat RNLB Jesse Lumb (ON 822) put out to sea at 5:20pm in the afternoon. She was directed to search the area of Man's Fort just off Selsey. Failing to find anything, Coxswain Harry Gawn was re-directed to search between Ryde and Seaview on the Isle of Wight. after some time he located a vessel but it was found not to be in any danger. The lifeboat was then directed to head for Chichester Bar located just outside Chichester Harbour. The lifeboat attended HMT Kingston Cairngorm which was found to be taking on water and flooding fast. In a service which involved the lifeboat making several approaches to the stricken vessel, she took 21 of her crew off and landed them all safely in Portsmouth. The lifeboat had then been at sea for 14 hours with coxswain Gawn at the helm all that time. The weather had been so bad that the crew had to clear the deck of thick ice at the end of the service. For his part in the service Coxswain Harry Gawn was awarded an RNLI bronze medal.
The Bembridge lifeboat Jesse Lumb was launched following a call from the coastguard on 8 August 1941. There was a report of an aircraft down 10 miles to the south of the Bembridge station. The lifeboat was guided through very rough seas by an aircraft which circled overhead but soon headed off. the lifeboat searched but found nothing. The lifeboat did, however, find the Royal Air Force rescue launch HSL 116. The vessel was in some distress and was disabled and flying a distress single. The launch which had been patrolling the channel during heavy fighting in the skies above, and had herself come under attack by German Aircraft. One of the crew, the Radio Operator, had been killed and another was suffering from severe wounds. The launch had had its propeller fouled by rope and was drifting. the Jesse Lumb managed to get a line aboard and took the vessel into tow. The seriously wounded crewman and the launch were taken directly to the Hospital at Haslar in Portsmouth by the lifeboat. The lifeboat and her crew finally returned to their station after being at sea for 14 hours.
|Dates in service||Class||ON||Op. No.||Name|
|1922–1939||40 ft Self-righter||676||Langholm|
|1939–1970||46ft Watson-class||822||Jesse Lumb|
|1970–1987||Solent-class||1009||48-006||Jack Shayler and the Lees|
|1987–2010||Tyne-class||1126||47-018||Max Aitken III|
|2010–present||Tamar-class||1297||16-17||Alfred Albert Williams|
|At Bembridge||Class||Op No||Name|
|1964||D-class (RFD PB16)||D-8||Unnamed|
|1965–1967||D-class (RFD PB16)||D-18||Unnamed|
|1967–1968||D-class (RFD PB16)||D-144||Unnamed|
|1969–1971||D-class (RFD PB16)||D-24||Unnamed|
|1971–1975||D-class (RFD PB16)||D-101||Unnamed|
|1976–1987||D-class (Zodiac III)||D-244||Unnamed|
|1996–2005||D-class (EA16)||D-503||Criddy and Tom|
|2005–2015||D-class (IB1)||D-649||Dorothy Beatrice May Gorman|
|2015–present||D-class (IB1)||D-778||Norman Harvey|
Bembridge is a village and civil parish located on the easternmost point of the Isle of Wight. It had a population of 3,848 according to the 2001 census of the United Kingdom, leading to the implausible claim by some residents that Bembridge is the largest village in England. Bembridge is home to many of the Island's wealthiest residents. The population had reduced to 3,688 at the 2011 Census.
Bembridge sits at the extreme eastern point of the Isle of Wight. Prior to land reclamation the area of Bembridge and Yaverland was almost an island unto itself, separated from the remainder of the Isle of Wight by Brading Haven. On the Joan Blaeu map of 1665, Bembridge is shown as Binbridge Iſle, nearly separated from the rest of Wight by River Yar.
Prior to the Victorian era Bembridge was a collection of wooden huts and farmhouses, which only consolidated into a true village with the building of the church in 1827 (later rebuilt in 1846).Hayling Island Lifeboat Station
Hayling Island Lifeboat Station is an RNLI station located on Hayling Island close to the town of Mengham in the English county of Hampshire. The station is located on the eastern side of Hayling island at the entrance to Chichester Harbour where it joins the major shipping route of the Solent, and is opposite the village of West Wittering. This major shipping route is a busy at all times of the year and there are estimated to be 10,000 boats in the Chichester area alone. The Hayling Island station provides cover for the area 24 hours a day, all year, by means of two inshore rigid inflatable lifeboats placed on this station.Isle of Wight
The Isle of Wight (; also referred to informally as The Island or abbreviated to IoW) is a county and the largest and second-most populous island in England. It is in the English Channel, between 2 and 5 miles off the coast of Hampshire, separated by the Solent. The island has resorts that have been holiday destinations since Victorian times, and is known for its mild climate, coastal scenery, and verdant landscape of fields, downland and chines. The island is designated a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
The island has been home to the poets Swinburne and Tennyson and to Queen Victoria, who built her much-loved summer residence and final home Osborne House at East Cowes. It has a maritime and industrial tradition including boat-building, sail-making, the manufacture of flying boats, the hovercraft, and Britain's space rockets. The island hosts annual music festivals including the Isle of Wight Festival, which in 1970 was the largest rock music event ever held. It has well-conserved wildlife and some of the richest cliffs and quarries for dinosaur fossils in Europe.
The isle was owned by a Norman family until 1293 and was earlier a kingdom in its own right. In common with the Crown dependencies, the British Crown was then represented on the island by the Governor of the Isle of Wight until 1995. The island has played an important part in the defence of the ports of Southampton and Portsmouth, and been near the front-line of conflicts through the ages, including the Spanish Armada and the Battle of Britain. Rural for most of its history, its Victorian fashionability and the growing affordability of holidays led to significant urban development during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Historically part of Hampshire, the island became a separate administrative county in 1890. It continued to share the Lord Lieutenant of Hampshire until 1974, when it was made its own ceremonial county. Apart from a shared police force, there is now no administrative link with Hampshire, although a combined local authority with Portsmouth and Southampton was considered, this is now unlikely to proceed.The quickest public transport link to the mainland is the hovercraft from Ryde to Southsea; three vehicle ferry and two catamaran services cross the Solent to Southampton, Lymington and Portsmouth.RNLB Jesse Lumb (ON 822)
RNLB Jesse Lumb (ON 822) is a historic lifeboat. Built by J. Samuel White in 1939, Jesse Lumb served as the lifeboat at Bembridge on the Isle of Wight from 1939 to 1970, becoming the last of her type in service. Since 1980 she has been preserved at Imperial War Museum Duxford. In August 1999 she was inscribed on the National Register of Historic Vessels, becoming part of the National Historic Fleet.Ryde Inshore Rescue Service
Ryde Inshore Rescue Service is a voluntary run lifeboat station located in the town of Ryde on the Isle of Wight. Ryde Inshore Rescue is an independent lifeboat station within the United Kingdom, is not part of the RNLI and does not receive funding from the RNLI or the government.
The station is on call to the Coast Guard 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The service operates an inshore lifeboat from its station at Appley Lane. The organisation training is to a high standard and the volunteers are expected to be able to give at least 1 day a week to ensure that they meet the exacting requirements of the organization.SS Empress Queen
SS (RMS) Empress Queen was a steel paddle steamer, which was the last of its type ordered by the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company. She was chartered by the Admiralty in 1915 and used for trooping duties until she ran aground off Bembridge, Isle of Wight, England, and was abandoned.Tamar-class lifeboat
Tamar-class lifeboats are all-weather lifeboats (ALBs) operated by the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) around the coasts of Great Britain and Ireland. They have replaced the majority of the older Tyne-class ALBs. The prototype was built in 2000 and 27 production boats were introduced between 2006 and 2013.
The class name comes from the River Tamar in south west England which flows into the English Channel, where the hulls from SAR Composites were fitted-out by Babcock International Group.
Neighbouring Stations to Bembridge