The Beltline Trail is a 9 km cycling and walking rail trail in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It consists of three sections, the York Beltline Trail west of Allen Road, the Kay Gardner Beltline Park from the Allen to Mount Pleasant Road, and the Ravine Beltline Trail south of Mount Pleasant Cemetery through the Moore Park Ravine. Built on the former right-of-way of the Toronto Belt Line Railway, the linear park passes through the neighbourhoods of Rosedale, Moore Park, Forest Hill, Chaplin Estates, and Fairbank.
Bridge over Yonge Street
|Length||9 km (6 mi)|
|Location||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Trailheads||Bowie Ave. - Beograd Gdns.|
Allen Rd. - Mt. Pleasant Rd.
Moore Ave. - Bayview Ave.
The Toronto Belt Line Railway opened in 1892. It was constructed as a commuter railway line to service and promote new suburban neighbourhoods north of the then city limits. The railway consisted of two separate loops both starting and ending at Union Station. The east loop started at Union Station, running east until turning north along the Don River, passing the Don Valley Brick Works, up through Moore Park Ravine and along the northern edge of Mount Pleasant Cemetery. Crossing over Yonge Street and what is now the Davisville Subway Yard, the loop continued northwest until Spadina Avenue, where it crossed Eglinton Avenue and turned west, eventually meeting up with the Grand Trunk railway tracks, now the GO Barrie line just west of Caledonia Road. From there, the route circled south back to Union Station.
The passenger train service was never profitable and only lasted two years. Parts of the rail line then sat unused. In 1910, the Grand Trunk rebuilt the northern portion of the Yonge St. Loop for freight service. Trains ran along this line until the late 1960s when a small part of the right-of-way was expropriated to build the Spadina Expressway, now the Allen Road. This ended rail service east of Marlee Avenue, just before the Allen.
In 1970, CN tried to sell the right-of-way east of the Allen for housing since the land was quite valuable. This would set the stage for one of the first public battles on biking trails. Most home owners adjacent to the line wished to buy the land to extend their backyards complaining of safety issues, vandals, and lovers. Both Metro Toronto parks officials and York Mayor Phil White saw it as an opportunity to build a bike path. Toronto Mayor William Dennison and his executive committee favoured buying portions of the Belt Line to expand roads and existing parks. Dennison told the Toronto Star that he opposed a continuous path along the Belt Line because "people have demonstrated they just won't use it", as well as echoing fears of the homeowners.
After two years of talk, the land was purchased by the city in 1972 as part of a land swap with CN that included the Metro Toronto Convention Centre on Front Street. One of the supporters of turning the rail bed into a bike path was alderman David Crombie, who was elected as mayor of Toronto soon after.
CN sold the remaining line west of the Allen to the city in 1988 and its conversion to a trail began. The bridge over Yonge Street was deteriorated and was refurbished in 1993. In 1999–2000 the part of the trail from the Allen Road to Mount Pleasant Road was designated the Kay Gardner Beltline Park after a local councillor, Kay Gardner, who was also involved with the negotiations for that segment of the trail.
The trail reuses almost all of the old railway space. The trail goes over the old iron bridge that crosses Dufferin Street, between Castlefield Ave. and Eglinton Ave., as well as the bridge over Yonge Street and the Davisville Subway Yard south of Davisville Avenue. There is no crossing of the limited-access Allen Road, and trail users must use footpaths parallel to the Allen to reach the nearest road bridge a half-block north or south. Other roads are crossed at grade, with no formal pedestrian crosswalks; the addition of crosswalks was recommended in a 2013 report.
The trail heading west ends just west of Caledonia Road at the former Grand Trunk line, now GO Transit's Barrie line. Heading east, after passing through Mount Pleasant Cemetery, the Beltline Trail then continues southwards through the Moore Park Ravine alongside Mud Creek, a small tributary of the Don River. The trail passes the Don Valley Brick Works and terminates shortly after reaching Bayview Avenue, at a crossroads with two other trails, Park Drive Reservation Trail and Milkman's Lane. An alternate switchback trail through Chorley Park is under development and slated to open in 2017. A series of technical biking or hiking trails including Cudmore Creek and Crothers Woods can be linked from here and make it possible to extend the trail through to the Sunnybrook Estates to the north-west or Taylor Creek Park and Scarborough to the east.
"Beltline Trail Map". Google My Maps. Retrieved 24 May 2015.
725 Ponce is a 190-million-dollar mixed-use development under construction at 725 Ponce de Leon Avenue along the Atlanta BeltLine in the Poncey-Highland neighborhood of Atlanta, Georgia. It includes a 360,000-square-foot, 12 story office tower atop a new Kroger supermarket replacing the Kroger (nicknamed "Murder Kroger") store demolished in 2016, which will connect to the BeltLine trail via a set of "M.C. Escher-esque steps",
restaurants and a covered outside patioAdair Park
Adair Park is a residential neighborhood located southwest of downtown Atlanta. It has the form of a left curly bracket, bordered by the MARTA north-south rail line on the northwest, the BeltLine trail on the southwest and Metropolitan Parkway on the east. Historically Adair Park also included the area from Metropolitan Parkway to McDaniel Street on the east, but the city now considers that area part of the Pittsburgh neighborhood.Ansley Mall
Ansley Mall is an open-air shopping mall in the Piedmont Heights neighborhood of Atlanta at 1544 Piedmont Avenue at the intersection of Monroe Drive near the Atlanta BeltLine trail.
Ansley opened in 1964, sending Midtown Atlanta's Tenth Street shopping district into decline. The single-level center had 175,300 square feet (16,290 m2) of leasable area and was anchored by a 27,300-square-foot (2,540 m2) Woolworth's variety store and 35,000-square-foot (3,300 m2) Colonial supermarket. The tenant list of the 3.2-million-dollar complex included twenty-six retailers.It was a "twin" of what is now officially called the Crossroads Shopping Center, better known by its name in its heyday, Stewart-Lakewood Center, an open-air shopping center on Metropolitan Parkway (formerly Stewart Avenue) at Langford Parkway (formerly Lakewood Freeway) in the Sylvan Hills neighborhood of southern Atlanta. Stewart-Lakewood was built in 1962 by the same company and in the same style as Ansley and was also considered a major regional retail center.The mall was renovated in 2010, the works carried out by Earthstation.Anchors include Publix supermarket, an LA Fitness gym, a CVS Pharmacy and a Pier One. It is owned by Selig. The Ansley Mall area rivals the intersection of 10th and Piedmont as the most popular gathering spot for gay men in Atlanta - across Clear Creek is Ansley Square, a strip mall with more gay-centric spaces.Brookwood, Atlanta
Brookwood is a neighborhood at the southernmost tip of the Buckhead Community of Atlanta. It should not be confused with Brookwood Hills, a neighborhood and historic district east of Brookwood across Peachtree Road.
It is bordered by:
I-75 and Loring Heights on the southwest
I-85 on the southeast
Peachtree Road and Brookwood Hills on the east
Ardmore on the north
BeltLine rail corridor at the far westThere is an infill residential area at the "back" of the neighborhood (Semel Drive area).
The BeltLine trail through Tanyard Creek Park continues south through the Tanyard Creek Urban Wilderness, which together with the trail terminates at the infill development at the far "back" (west side) of the Brookwood neighborhood.Cedarvale Park (Toronto)
Cedarvale Park (originally known as Cedar Vale) is a park located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is bordered by very steep hills, and is located in the Cedarvale neighbourhood of Toronto. The Line 1 Yonge–University subway tunnels underneath it, between St. Clair West and Eglinton West stations; near the Markdale TTC Emergency Exit. The north end of the park contains the Phil White (Cedarvale) Arena and The Leo Baeck Day School, formerly Arlington Middle School. It is commonly used for dog walkers and students returning from the nearby school. The large open fields are heavily used by the community for everything from cricket games to flying kites. In the winter the large hill is used for tobogganing, many people bring their sleds and enjoy riding down the hills.
South of the fields, the park angles southeast, and becomes more of a deep, naturalized ravine with steep sides, with a heavily used footpath down the middle. Cedarvale ravine contains very sizable wetlands east of Bathurst Street in Forest Hill; the remainder of the natural portion is young regrowth forest (the ravine was largely clearcut during the construction of the Spadina Subway in the 1970s). The path is heavily used and remains passable even in winter, with foot traffic packing snow down despite the lack of plowing, especially after drainage works in 2006 fixed water pooling and subsequent ice buildup.
The park benefits from its proximity to the Beltline trail in the north and the Nordheimer Ravine to the south; these join together to form a large trail system through midtown Toronto.
At the south end of the park, right by the St.Clair West subway entrance, there is an outdoor exercise area with pull-up bars, dip bars and benches of various heights. A great place for a street workout, the park was built by Montreal company Trekfit (trekfit.ca), which has several of these pads around the city.Chaplin Estates
Chaplin Estates is a neighbourhood that covers the southwest portion of the Yonge and Eglinton area in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It lies west of Yonge Street and is bounded by Eglinton Avenue to the north and Avenue Road to the west. The southern boundary is Chaplin Crescent which itself runs parallel to the former Beltline Railway line, now the Beltline Trail, a scenic walking and biking trail.
A portion of the Toronto Transit Commission's Yonge-University-Spadina subway line runs aboveground in the eastern fringe of Chaplin Estates, and transit access is provided through Davisville station and Eglinton station. Chaplin Estates is one of the wealthiest neighbourhoods in Toronto.Chaplin station
Chaplin is an underground light rail transit (LRT) station under construction on Line 5 Eglinton, a new line that is part of the Toronto subway system. It will be located in the Forest Hill neighbourhood at the intersection of Chaplin Crescent and Eglinton Avenue, and is scheduled to open in 2021.
Three entrances are planned for this underground station: a main entry at Gilgorm Road and Eglinton, next to Chaplin Parkette and replacing a retail building; a second entrance on the south side of Eglinton between Chaplin Crescent and the Kay Gardner Beltline Park; and a third, also on the south side, about halfway between Chaplin and Russel Hill road. The TTC 14 Glencain bus route will connect at this station.Property at 574 Eglinton Avenue West was expropriated for the construction of the main Chaplin Station entrance.In order to accommodate the third entrance, fire station 135 located at 641 Eglinton Avenue West was closed and its eastern portion demolished. The western portion has been retained. The fire hall was built in 1932, and is listed on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties. A replacement fire station was established on the west side of Chaplin Crescent just north of Eglinton Avenue West.Destinations include Forest Hill Collegiate Institute, Forest Hill Library, the Beltline Trail, Memorial Park, and the Forest Hill Memorial Arena.Historic Fourth Ward Park
Historic Fourth Ward Park is a park built on the site of the old Ponce de Leon amusement park, in the Old Fourth Ward of Atlanta, just south of Ponce City Market and just west of the BeltLine trail.
Currently the park covers 17 acres (6.9 ha) in two separate sections. It is planned to eventually connect these two parcels and cover a total of 30 acres (12 ha).Hulsey Yard
Hulsey Yard is a rail yard of the CSX railroad, stretching approximately 0.9 miles (1.4 km) along the border of the Old Fourth Ward, Inman Park, Cabbagetown and Reynoldstown neighborhoods of Atlanta. The south wall of the rail yard along Wylie Street in Reynoldstown is one of the most prominent locations for street art in Atlanta. The art is managed by the Wallkeepers Committee of the Cabbagetown Neighborhood Improvement Association,Hulsey Yard was originally part of the Georgia Railroad and Banking Company.
MARTA's Blue Line and Green Line traverses the rail yard.
The yard is a key node on the BeltLine trail, whose northeast section terminates across Decatur Street/DeKalb Avenue from the west end of the yard, and whose southeast section terminates at the east end of the yard, and poses as issue as to how to connect the two sections of the trail across the yard.The BeltLine and other local organizations also use the designation Hulsey Yard name to designate a natural habitat on the subcontinental divide, and an associated "arboretum" or nature walk that it promotes in the area.John Thomas Moore
John Thomas Moore (3 July 1844 - Markham Township, Upper Canada – 5 June 1917 - Toronto) was a Canadian businessman and politician from Alberta, Canada.
During the late-19th century, Moore became a land speculator and purchased the area that has since been named in his honour, Moore Park. To increase the value of his land, he then constructed a bridge (the original Vale of Avoca) and helped promote the Belt Line Railway, an early public transit system serving the "suburbs" of Toronto, Ontario. After the Belt Line was constructed, recession forced its closure after only 18 months of operation. Its railbed has since been converted into the Beltline Trail.
Moore was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Alberta in the 1905 Alberta general election defeating high-profile Conservative candidate and the founder of Red Deer Leonard Gaetz.
Moore attempted to run for a second term in office but was defeated in the 1909 Alberta general election by Independent candidate Edward Michener. Moore return to Toronto and died there in 1917.Kay Gardner
Kay Gardner (born 1927), was a municipal politician in Toronto, Ontario.
She was born in Poland and moved with her family to Canada in 1929. The family lived in Alberta and British Columbia. In 1947 she married a journalist, Ray Gardner, in London, England. In 1961, they moved to Toronto where Ray obtained a job with the Toronto Star. They have two sons.
Gardner lived in the Forest Hill neighbourhood and worked for the local library. She organized library programs for seniors and conducted weekly film and lecture seminars. She helped to found a library worker's local chapter for the Canadian Union of Public Employees.
In the 1970s she became involved in a campaign to save a former railway right of way called the Belt Line from development. Eventually this was turned into a pedestrian and bicycling trail called the Beltline Trail. It currently runs from Yonge Street south of Davisville Avenue northwest to the Allen Road and Eglinton Avenue West. In 1999, at the suggestion of councillor Michael Walker, Toronto City Council renamed the park the Kay Gardner Beltline Park in her honour.She was best known for advocating for tenants' rights. She helped lobby the city to save three low-rise rental apartment buildings on Eglinton Ave. West from conversion to condominiums. At the time they were occupied mainly by seniors on fixed incomes. Her first act as a city councillor was to support a motion for the city to purchase the buildings. They were bought by Cityhome, the city's non-profit housing company.
Gardner first ran for office in 1978 but wasn't elected until 1985, representing Ward 11 in central Toronto. In 1988 she ran for council in the newly formed Ward 15. She served on both City Council and Metro Council until 1997. In November 1997 the first post-amalgamation election was held, and she ran for council in the newly created Ward 22, but came third behind Anne Johnston and Michael Walker.
In 1984 she was awarded the Constance E. Hamilton Award. The award is named for Toronto's first female alderman. The award is given to women in Toronto who have made a significant contribution to helping Toronto women secure equitable treatment, economically, socially, and culturally.Krog Street Market
Krog Street Market is a 9-acre (3.6 ha) mixed-use development in Atlanta, located along the BeltLine trail at Edgewood Avenue in Inman Park which opened in Summer 2014. The complex is centered on a 12,000-square-foot (1,100 m2), west coast-style market and restaurants, and also includes up to 300 apartments (of which 225 in Phase I). The marketplace has been planned to have four or five restaurants and merchants such as florists, cheesemakers, butchers, and bakers under one roof. It is to incorporate two existing parcels on either side of Krog Street: The Stove Works on the west side and the former Tyler Perry Studios at 99 Krog Street, on the east side. The conversion to Krog Street Market is to cost $70 million. The Stove Works is to remain unaltered. Illustrations in the plans show the existing bridge over Krog Street renovated as a pedestrian bridge and incorporated as part of the complex.Martin Goodman Trail
The Martin Goodman Trail is a 56-kilometre (35 mi) multi-use path along the waterfront in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It traverses the entire lake shore from one end of the city to the other, from Humber Bay Arch Bridge in the west to the Rouge River in the east. The Martin Goodman Trail is part of the 730 km Waterfront Trail around Lake Ontario.National NuGrape Company
The National NuGrape Company Lofts are located in Atlanta's Old Fourth Ward on the north side of Ralph McGill Blvd. and the west side of the BeltLine trail. The building was built in 1937 as the national headquarters for the National NuGrape Company, a soft drink firm in Atlanta, Georgia, United States which created the NuGrape, Sun Crest, and Kickapoo Joy Juice brands. The building was occupied by NuGrape until 1971, when it was sold to a printing company. After 1990, the building was converted to loft apartments. The building was converted to unique loft condominiums in 2003.Ponce de Leon Park
Ponce de Leon Park ( PONSS də LEE-ən; also known as Spiller Park or Spiller Field from 1924 to 1932, and "Poncey" to locals, was the primary home field for the minor league baseball team called the Atlanta Crackers for nearly six decades. The Crackers played here in the Southern Association (1907–1959) and the International League (1962–64). It was also home of the Atlanta Black Crackers who captured the second half championship of the Negro American League in 1938.The ballpark was located at 650 Ponce de Leon Avenue; the street ran along the south side of the park i.e. along its first base side. Behind right and center field, atop the slope bordering the park on the East, were the tracks of the Southern Railway, now part of the BeltLine, a trail and future transit ring around the central neighborhoods of Atlanta. Across the street was the Ponce de Leon Amusement Park until 1926, when the hulking Sears Roebuck Southeastern Headquarters, now known as Ponce City Market, was built.
The original ballpark on the site opened in 1907. The structure was destroyed by fire in 1923. It was rebuilt in 1924 and was named for club owner Rell J. Spiller. It reverted to its original name in 1933. The seating capacity of the park was about 20,000.
The park was known for a magnolia tree in deep center field. Balls landing in the tree remained in play, until Earl Mann took over the team in 1947 and had the outfield wall moved in about 50 feet. During exhibition games, Babe Ruth and Eddie Mathews both hit home runs that became stuck in the distant tree.After the Crackers moved to Atlanta Stadium in 1965, Ponce de Leon Park was demolished in favor of a shopping center (now also demolished) and today a strip mall, Midtown Place, occupies the location. The famous magnolia tree is still standing at the rear of the shopping center along the BeltLine trail.Tanyard Creek Park
Tanyard Creek Park is a 14.5-acre (5.9 ha) park in the Buckhead area of Atlanta. It is located along Tanyard Creek between Collier Road on the north and BeltLine rail corridor to the south. The neighborhood of Collier Hills borders it on the west and Collier Hills North on the east.
A 1-mile (1.6 km)-long BeltLine trail runs through the park - not along the BeltLine rail corridor itself but perpendicular to it. The trail begins at the west end of Colonial Homes neighborhood, proceeds west along the south end of Bobby Jones Golf Course, Louise G. Howard Park, under Collier Road and through Tanyard Creek Park, under a trestle bridge (active CSX rail line), connecting to both Ardmore Park in the Ardmore neighborhood and into the Tanyard Creek Urban Forest. The trail, and urban forest, terminates at Semel Circle, a new infill development area at the back of Brookwood neighborhood. The trail opened in April 2010.The Civil War Battle of Peachtree Creek took place in and around the park.Telephone Factory Lofts
The Telephone Factory Lofts is a mixed-use loft building along the BeltLine trail in the Poncey-Highland neighborhood of Atlanta. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Western Electric Company Building.Toronto Belt Line Railway
The Toronto Belt Line Railway was built in Toronto, Ontario, Canada in the 1890s. It consisted of two commuter railway lines to promote and service new suburban neighbourhoods outside of the then city limits. Both lines were laid as loops. The longer Don Loop ran north of the city limits, and the shorter Humber Loop ran west of the city limits. The railway was never profitable and it only ran for two years. Today, as part of a rails-to-trail project, the Beltline Trail lies on the right-of-way of the Don Loop.West Toronto Railpath
The West Toronto Railpath is a multi-use asphalt trail in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, running from The Junction neighbourhood toward downtown Toronto. The railpath was developed and funded by the City of Toronto government for bicycle and pedestrian use by local area residents. It, along with the Beltline Trail, is an example of an urban rails-to-trail project. Phase 1 of the path opened up in 2009. Phase 2, an extension south from Dundas Street West to Liberty Village, has received full funding from the provincial and federal governments.
Parks and squares in Toronto
1 Urban beach park without swimming