Battle of Lang Vei

The Battle of Lang Vei (Vietnamese: Trận Làng Vây) began on the evening of 6 February and concluded during the early hours of 7 February 1968, in Quảng Trị Province, South Vietnam. Towards the end of 1967 the 198th Tank Battalion, People's Army of Vietnam (PAVN) 203rd Armored Regiment, received instructions from the North Vietnamese Ministry of Defense to reinforce the 304th Division as part of the Route 9-Khe Sanh Campaign. After an arduous journey down the Ho Chi Minh trail in January 1968, the 198th Tank Battalion linked up with the 304th Division for a major offensive along Highway 9, which stretched from the Laotian border through to Quảng Trị Province. On 23 January, the 24th Regiment attacked the small Laotian outpost at Bane Houei Sane, under the control of the Royal Laos Army BV-33 'Elephant' Battalion.

In that battle the 198th Tank Battalion failed to reach the battle on time because its crews struggled to navigate their tanks through the rough local terrain. However, as soon as the PT-76 tanks of the 198th Tank Battalion turned up at Bane Houei Sane, the Laotian soldiers and their families panicked and retreated into South Vietnam. After Bane Houei Sane was captured, the 24th Regiment prepared for another attack which targeted the U.S. Special Forces Camp at Lang Vei, manned by Detachment A-101 of the 5th Special Forces Group and indigenous Civilian Irregular Defense Group (CIDG) forces. On 6 February, the 24th Regiment, again supported by the 198th Tank Battalion, launched their assault on Lang Vei. Despite air and artillery support, the U.S.-led forces conceded ground and the PAVN quickly dominated their positions. By the early hours of 7 February the command bunker was the only position still held by Allied forces, to rescue the American survivors inside the Lang Vei Camp, a counter-attack was mounted, but the Laotian soldiers, who formed the bulk of the attack formation, refused to fight the PAVN. Later on, U.S. Special Forces personnel were able to escape from the camp, and were rescued by a U.S. Marine task force from Khe Sanh Combat Base.[4]


North Vietnam

The task of capturing Lang Vei was entrusted to the PAVN's 24th Regiment, 304th Division, led by Colonel Le Cong Phe. The regiment was to be supported by the 2nd Battalion (part of the 101D Regiment, 325th Division), the 2nd Artillery Battalion (part of the 675th Artillery Regiment), one tank company (part of the 198th Tank Battalion, 203rd Armored Regiment), two sapper companies, one anti-aircraft gun company, and one flamethrower platoon.[5] One of the most important features of the PAVN formation were the elements of the 203rd Armoured Regiment; the Route 9-Khe Sanh Campaign marked the first time the PAVN deployed its armored forces on the battlefield. In 1964, soldiers of the PAVN's first armored unit—the 202nd Armored Regiment—was sent into South Vietnam without their T-34 main battle tanks, because their prime mission was to learn enemy armor tactics in order to prepare for future missions.[6] On 22 June 1965, the North Vietnamese Ministry of Defense passed Resolution 100/QD-QP, to establish the 203rd Armored Regiment and Resolution 101/QD-QP to create an Armored Force Command.[7]

For PAVN commanders, the creation of an independent armored force command represented a significant milestone in the development of their army, because it enabled them to respond to the circumstances on the battlefield with a modern armored force.[7] To prepare for their upcoming mission, the 203rd Armored Regiment undertook a series of combined-arms training with infantry and artillery units in different types of terrain, in order to operate in Vietnam's rough mountainous and jungle conditions. On 5 August 1967, the Ministry of Defense ordered the 203rd Armored Regiment to form a sub-unit, namely the 198th Tank Battalion equipped with 22 PT-76 amphibious tanks, to bolster the strength of the 304th Division in South Vietnam.[6][7] From their base in Luong Son, Hòa Bình Province, the 198th Tank Battalion began their arduous 1,350 kilometers (840 mi) journey down the Ho Chi Minh Trail under constant U.S. air-strikes. In January 1968, the 198th Tank Battalion arrived on the field where it joined the 304th Division for an attack on the Laotian outpost of Ban Houei Sane.[6]

United States/South Vietnam

The Lang Vei Special Forces Camp was placed under the control of the United States Army's Detachment A-101, Company C, 5th Special Forces Group, to train and equip locally recruited Vietnamese through the CIDG program. Detachment A-101 had originally been established in July 1962 at Khe Sanh. In 1966, Detachment A-101 moved to its first site at an area near the village of Lang Vei, when the United States Marines took control of Khe Sanh Combat Base as part of an American military build-up in South Vietnam's northern provinces. However, the first camp at Lang Vei proved to be only temporary, when the PAVN attacked the camp on 4 May 1967. Even though the PAVN attack had been repelled, damage to the camp was extensive. Since the original camp site had lacked good observation and fields of fire beyond the barbed-wire perimeter, the 5th Special Forces Group commander decided to move the camp to a more suitable area, about 1,000 meters to the west. The new camp, situated on Highway 9 about 7 kilometers (4.3 mi) to the west of Khe Sanh, was completed in 1967.[2]:111

In 1967, Captain Franklin C. Willoughby assumed command of Detachment A-101 at Lang Vei, which had a tactical area of responsibility of 220 square kilometers (85 sq mi), and was one of nine operational CIDG camps in I Corps Tactical Zone. From Lang Vei, U.S Special Forces personnel worked jointly with a 14-man Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) special forces contingent and six interpreters; they were responsible for border surveillance, interdiction of enemy infiltration and assistance in the Revolutionary Development Program.[2]:110 To accomplish those tasks Willoughby had one Montagnard company, three South Vietnamese rifle companies and three combat reconnaissance platoons at his disposal. Early in January 1968, Detachment A-101 received reinforcements in the form of a Mobile Strike Force Company, consisting of 161 Hre tribesmen, along with six U.S. Special Forces advisors. Elements of this Mobile Strike Force Company operated from a fortified bunker about 800 meters west of the camp, which served as an observation post. During the day the Hre tribesmen of the Mobile Strike Force conducted patrols; at night they took up ambush positions in the vicinity of the camp.[2]:112

Prior to the battle, Willoughby placed Company 101 of 82 Bru Montagnard tribesmen, on the northeastern flank of the camp, with the 3rd Combat Reconnaissance Platoon positioned just behind it. Company 104 was placed in the southern end of the camp; Company 102, consisting of 42 men, was positioned at the opposite end about 450 meters to the west, while the 43-man Company 103 was positioned further south. The 1st and 2nd Combat Reconnaissance Platoons were placed at the northern and southern perimeters respectively, about 200 meters apart.[2]:113 Individually, the CIDG personnel carried M1 and M2 carbines with nearly 250,000 rounds of ammunition, and each company was also equipped with one 81mm mortar.[2]:112–3 Among heavy weapons, there were two 106mm recoilless rifles, two 4.2-inch mortars and nineteen 60mm mortars positioned around the camp. For close-in support, the CIDG personnel were furnished with 100 disposable M-72 anti-tank weapons. Antitank mines were requested, but were denied. If necessary, Willoughby could also request support from at least two rifle companies from the 26th Marine Regiment at Khe Sanh, along with artillery support from other locations within range.[2]:116–7[8]

Following the construction of the new camp site west of Lang Vei, Willoughby and his CIDG soldiers concentrated their efforts on strengthening the camp's defenses, and they made relatively few contacts with the PAVN. However, unbeknown to Willoughby, the PAVN 304th Division had assembled on the battlefield, reinforced by the 198th Tank Battalion, with the following orders: the 66th Regiment was given the task of capturing Khe Sanh village, part of Hướng Hóa District, to begin their Route 9-Khe Sanh Campaign; the 24th Regiment was ordered to destroy the enemy strongholds of Ban Houei Sane and Lang Vei; while the 9th Regiment was ordered to destroy any reinforcements that may try to relieve those bases areas.[9] From December 1967, CIDG soldiers operating from Lang Vei began to report more frequent contacts with the PAVN. By mid-January, U.S. military intelligence also reported movements of PAVN formations across the Xe Pone River from Laos into South Vietnam. At the same time, the PAVN began to harass the Lang Vei Camp with mortar and artillery fire at least two or three times a week, and PAVN patrols even probed the camp's perimeters.[2]:111 3rd Marine Division intelligence estimated the combat strength of PAVN and Viet Cong forces in the Vietnamese Demilitarized Zone area during this period was 40,943 troops.[10]:115

Preliminary attacks

On 21 January 1968, the PAVN 66th Regiment began their attack on Khe Sanh village, seat of the Hướng Hóa local government. At that time, Khe Sanh village was defended by the ARVN Regional Force 915th Company and the U.S. Marines Combined Action Company Oscar.[8]:258 Throughout the night, the combined U.S and South Vietnamese forces held their position, but at dawn U.S. soldiers on the ground called in air strikes and artillery support from the Khe Sanh Combat Base. Fighting in and around Khe Sanh village continued throughout the day and into the following night, and was finally captured by the PAVN at 09:30 on 22 January.[9] At 11:00 Colonel David E. Lownds ordered Company D, 1st Battalion, 26th Marines, to relieve the defenders inside Khe Sanh village, but reversed his orders after second thoughts about PAVN ambushes.[8]:260 Later, the ARVN Regional Force 256th Company was destroyed by the PAVN 9th Regiment as they marched towards Khe Sanh village.[8]:261 The PAVN 66th Regiment paid a heavy price for their victory with 154 killed and 496 wounded.[1]

On the evening of 23 January, one day after the fall of Khe Sanh village, the PAVN 304th Division moved against their next target, the small Laotian outpost at Ban Houei Sane.[9] Prior to 1968, Laotian forces at Ban Houei Sane had played an important role in the war, watching PAVN infiltration into South Vietnam from a section of the Ho Chi Minh Trail running through Laos.[11] The outpost was manned by 700 Laotian soldiers of BV-33 'Elephant' Battalion, Royal Laos Army, led by Lieutenant Colonel Soulang Phetsampou.[3]:15–24 As night fell, the PAVN 3rd Battalion, 24th Regiment began attacking the outpost. The 198th Tank Battalion, which was tasked with supporting the 24th Regiment, was delayed as their tank crews tried to navigate their PT-76 amphibious tanks through the rough local terrain. However, confusion quickly descended on the Laotian defenders as the PT-76 tanks turned up outside their outpost.[1] After three hours of fighting, Lt. Col. Phetsampou decided to abandon his outpost, so he radioed the Lang Vei Camp and requested helicopters to evacuate his men and their families. However, as helicopters were unavailable, the Laotians decided to move eastward by foot along Highway 9, in an attempt to reach Lang Vei just across the border in South Vietnam.[3]:23–4

Following the loss of both Khe Sanh village and Ban Houei Sane, thousands of civilian refugees made their way towards Lang Vei village and the Special Forces Camp. With an estimated 8,000 non-combatants within a thousand meters of his camp, Willoughby radioed Da Nang for assistance. This arrived on January 25 in the form of food and medical supplies, along with a six-man Special Forces augmentation team. The Laotian soldiers of BV-33, with assistance from the new Special Forces team, were given materials to restore the old Lang Vei Camp, where they would remain until further orders were issued from Da Nang.[2]:111 The Laotian soldiers and their families brought with them stories of a PAVN attack supported by tanks, which was a cause for concern for Willoughby, because Ban Houei Sane was only 15 kilometers (9.3 mi) away across the border. On 30 January Willoughby's fears were confirmed when a PAVN deserter, Private Luong Dinh Du, surrendered himself to the U.S. Special Forces in Lang Vei. Under interrogation, Private Du revealed that tracked vehicles had positioned near his unit, but a planned attack was canceled twice for unknown reasons.[2]:112


Khe Sanh Lang Vei SF-Camp Map
Attack on Lang Vei

In response to the threat posed by the PAVN, Willoughby stepped up daytime patrols and night ambushes around his camp. On the morning of February 6, the PAVN fired mortars into the Lang Vei compound, wounding eight Camp Strike Force soldiers.[10] That afternoon, Lt. Col. Daniel F. Shungel, commander of Company C, 5th Special Forces Group, flew into Lang Vei from Da Nang as a diplomatic gesture towards the Laotian commander Lt. Col. Phetsampou.[2]:119 At 18:10 hours, the PAVN followed up their morning mortar attack with an artillery attack from 152mm howitzers, firing 60 rounds into the camp. The bombardment wounded two more Strike Force soldiers and damaged two bunkers.[10] Then at 23:30, PAVN artillery started pounding the camp, which covered the movement of the 24th Regiment and the 3rd Battalion, 101D Regiment.[1] From an observation post above the tactical operations centre, Sergeant Nickolas Fragos saw the first PAVN tanks moving along Lang Troai road, attempting to breach the barbed-wires just in front of Company 104. He immediately went down to the tactical operations center and described what he had witnessed to Willoughby; Shungel then advised Willoughby to concentrate all available artillery and air support on the PAVN formation just in front of Company 104.[2]:119 Soon afterwards, three PT-76 tanks were knocked out by a 106mm recoilless rifle manned by Sergeant First Class James W. Holt, but the barbed wire in front of Company 104 was quickly overcome by the combined PAVN tank-infantry attack.[2]:120

A PT-76 tank, destroyed by American anti-tank weapons, lies dormant along a road after the battle at the Lang Vei Special Forces Camp

Meanwhile, from inside the tactical operations center, Willoughby was busy calling in air and artillery support. He also radioed the 26th Marines at Khe Sanh to request the deployment of two rifle companies as part of the reinforcement plan, but his request was denied.[2]:129 Believing that the attack on Company 104 was the enemy's main effort, Willoughby concentrated his artillery support there during the early stages of the battle. About 10 minutes after the artillery had begun firing, a U.S. Air Force forward air-controller arrived over Lang Vei along with a flareship and an AC-119 Shadow gunship. Willoughby then requested air strikes on the ravines located north of the camp, on Lang Troai road, and the areas west of the early warning outpost manned by the Hre soldiers of the Mobile Strike Force. Despite the ferocity of the air strikes and artillery fire, the PAVN managed to break through the Company 104 area, forcing the defenders to retreat into the 2nd and 3rd Combat Reconnaissance Platoon positions behind them. By 01:15, the PAVN had captured the entire eastern end of the Special Forces Camp and, from the Company 104 area, began pouring fire on Company 101.[2]:121

At the opposite end of the camp, three PT-76 tanks rolled through the barbed-wire barrier in front of Company 102 and 103. From point blank, the tank crews destroyed several bunkers with their guns, forcing the soldiers of Company 102 and 103 to abandon their positions. Those who survived the onslaught either retreated to the reconnaissance positions, or along Highway 9, toward Khe Sanh in the east. About 800 meters to the west, Sergeant First Class Charles W. Lindewald, an adviser to the Mobile Strike Force, also reported back to Willoughby that the early warning outpost was in danger of being overrun. To save it, Lindewald directed artillery strikes on the PAVN troops moving up towards his outpost, but he later died from a gunshot wound to the stomach as the PAVN overran the outpost.[2]:121–2 At about 01:30, Shungel and his hastily organized tank-killer teams were busy engaging the tanks that were roaming the Company 104 area; on many occasions the M-72 rockets fired by the Americans either missed completely, jammed, misfired, or simply failed to knock out the enemy tanks. By 02:30, the PAVN had broken through the inner perimeter of the camp, and began harassing the soldiers trapped inside the tactical operations center, which included Willoughby along with seven other Americans, three South Vietnamese special forces, and 26 CIDG soldiers.[2]:127

Lang Vei PT-76 destroyed
Photograph taken by U.S. Air Force reconnaissance aircraft showing 2 destroyed PT-76 tanks in Lang Vei

Above ground, U.S. and ARVN soldiers who had escaped death or capture tried to escape from the PAVN. From the team house, a group of four Americans and about 50 CIDG soldiers held a quick conference and decided that they would leave the camp through the northern perimeter, where there was no visible sign of the PAVN. Without much difficulty, the Americans and the CIDG soldiers were able to make it through the barbed-wire barrier, but PAVN soldiers on the eastern side of the camp had detected their movement and began firing on the group. Ultimately, only two Americans and about 10 Vietnamese soldiers managed to escape from the camp, taking refuge in a dry creek bed that offered some cover and concealment.[2]:128 At around 03:30 am, Willoughby made another request for the Marines at Khe Sanh to send reinforcements, but again his request was turned down.[2]:129 In an attempt to save the defenders at Lang Vei, Company C Headquarters in Da Nang tried to call for reinforcements from the Marines at Khe Sanh, but its request was also turned down. Finally, Company C Headquarters placed another Mobile Strike Force Company and a company-sized unit on standby alert in Da Nang, to be airlifted into battle as soon as helicopters were available.[2]:130

Back in Lang Vei, the PAVN continued to harass the small force of soldiers still trapped in the command bunker with hand grenades, explosives and bursts of gunfire down the stairwell that led into the bunker. Shortly after 06:00 am, the PAVN threw several fragmentation grenades and tear gas grenades down the stairwell. Then, a voice called down the stairwell in Vietnamese, demanding the American-led forces give up at once.[2]:130 Following a quick discussion with his CIDG soldiers, the South Vietnamese special forces commander led his troops up the stairwell to surrender, but were killed by PAVN soldiers, leaving behind their American counterparts.[2]:131 After the South Vietnamese had gone up, there was another short verbal exchange between the Americans in the bunker and the PAVN in English, which was followed by another fire-fight when the Americans refused surrender.[2]:131 At 06:30 am, the PAVN successfully blasted a hole on the northern wall, gaining direct access into the command bunker. However, instead of launching a direct attack on the last American stronghold, the PAVN continued to throw grenades through the wall.[2]:132

At dawn, Sergeant First Class Eugene Ashley, Jr. assembled about 100 Laotian soldiers of BV-33 at the old Lang Vei Camp in order to launch a rescue operation and, if possible, recapture the Special Forces Camp from the PAVN. Even though Lt. Col. Phetsampou had initially refused to take part in the operation, the Americans held him to his earlier promise of providing them with troops.[2]:132[3]:30 After Ashley had formed the Laotian soldiers into a skirmish line, he radioed the forward air-controllers overhead to direct strafing runs on the Special Forces Camp to soften up the enemy.

Meanwhile, as COMUSMACV General William Westmoreland learned of the PAVN attack on Lang Vei and Lownd's refusal to send a relief force, he ordered the U.S. Marines to supply enough helicopters to airlift a 50-man strike force with the aim of rescuing the survivors. Subsequently, Colonel Jonathan F. Ladd, commanding officer of the 5th Special Forces Group, and Major General Norman J. Anderson, commander of the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing were directed to formulate a rescue plan.[2]:136 While Willoughby and his men waited for help in the command bunker, Ashley and his Laotian contingent cautiously entered the Special Forces Camp.[2]:136

The Laotian soldiers were evidently reluctant to advance on the PAVN, and only inched forward when the Americans ordered them to do so.[3]:30 In their first attempt to break through PAVN lines, Ashley and his men were beaten back. Undeterred, the American-led forces tried to penetrate PAVN positions several times, and only stopped after Ashley was shot in the chest and later killed by an exploding artillery round. Ashley was later posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. The Laotians, who feared the PAVN, disengaged from the fight and fled.[2]:136[3]:31 After Ashley's final attack had failed, Willoughby and his men made the decision to abandon their position. However, after Specialist Four James L. Moreland was mortally wounded, Captain Willoughby decided to leave him in the bunker, because the remaining Americans were in no physical condition to carry out the wounded man. Under the cover of U.S. air strikes, Willoughby and other American survivors ran towards the old Lang Vei Camp, which was evacuated by Marine CH-46s from HMM-262, which lifted in a 50-man reaction force. By 17:30 on 7 February, all known survivors had been evacuated to Khe Sanh.[2]:137


The fight for Lang Vei, though short in duration, was a costly endeavor for both sides. In their efforts to hold the camp, the combined Montagnard and South Vietnamese CIDG soldiers suffered 309 killed, 64 wounded, and 122 captured. Of the original 24 Americans who took part in the battle, seven were killed in action, 11 sustained injuries, and three were captured. Nearly all of the camp's weaponry and equipment were either destroyed or captured by enemy forces.[2]:137 For the North Vietnamese, the battle for Lang Vei marked the first successful use of armor in the war.[2]:138 In terms of human casualties, the PAVN claimed to have lost 90 soldiers killed and 220 wounded.[1]

On the evening of 7 February, though the fight was over for the military forces, the ordeal continued for the civilians who were caught in the fighting. An estimated 6,000 survivors from the old Lang Vei Camp including CIDG soldiers and their families, Montagnard tribesmen and the Laotians, followed the Americans and descended on the Khe Sanh Combat Base.[2]:138 However, when they reached the American compound, Lownds refused to give them entry because he feared that PAVN soldiers may have mingled with the crowd. Instead, Lownds ordered his soldiers to herd the civilians into bomb craters, disarmed the local soldiers, and kept them under guard even though PAVN artillery shells continued to rain down on the base. No food or medical aid was given to the civilians as they were kept outside the wires of the American compound.[2]:137[3]:40 Frustrated by the lack of support and poor treatment by the Americans, Phetsampou complained that his people were being treated more like an enemy. On 10 February, Laotian civilian refugees started walking back to Laos along Highway 9, because they feared for their lives and preferred to die in their own country. On 15 February, through arrangements made by the Laotian embassy in Saigon, Phetsampou and his soldiers were flown back to their country on a Royal Laotian Air Force C-47 transport aircraft.[3]:41

See also


 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the United States Army Center of Military History.

  1. ^ a b c d e f "Khe Sanh: The Other Side Of The Hill". Archived from the original on 6 July 2014. Retrieved 3 May 2018.
  2. ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab ac ad ae af ag ah Cash, John A. (1985). Seven Firefights in Vietnam. The Center of Military History. p. 113. ISBN 9780486454719.
  3. ^ a b c d e f g h Trest, Warren A. (1997). Project Checo Southeast Asia Study: Khe Sanh (Operation Niagara) 22 January - 31 March 1968. Headquarters Pacific Air Forces. p. 24. ISBN 978-1780398075.
  4. ^ Stanton, Shelby L. (1985). The Rise and Fall of an American Army: U.S. Ground Forces in Vietnam, 1965–1973. Dell. p. 242. ISBN 9780891418276.
  5. ^ "Battle of Lang Vei".
  6. ^ a b c "Duc Viet".
  7. ^ a b c "Bộ đội Tăng thiết giáp- nửa thế kỷ "đã ra quân là đánh thắng"" [Soldier armor – half a century "was out fighting"] (in Vietnamese). 20 October 2009. Archived from the original on 20 October 2009. Retrieved 23 November 2010.
  8. ^ a b c d Prados, John; Stubbe, Ray W. (1991). Valley of Decision: The Siege of Khe Sanh. Naval Institute Press. ISBN 0395550033.
  9. ^ a b c "Nguyen Duc Huy". 4 March 2011.
  10. ^ a b c Pike, Thomas F. (2017). I Corps Vietnam: An Aerial Retrospective. Blurb. p. 35. ISBN 9781366287205.
  11. ^ Conboy, Ken (1995). Shadow War: The CIA's Secret War in Laos. Paladin Press. pp. 115–116. ISBN 978-1581605358.

Further reading

  • Phillips, William R. (1997). Night of the Silver Stars: The Battle of Lang Vei. Annapolis, Md: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 1557506914.
  • Prados, John (1999). The Blood Road: The Ho Chi Minh Trail and the Vietnam War. New York: Wiley Publishing. ISBN 0471254657.
  • Pike, Thomas (2013). Military Records, February 1968, 3rd Marine Division: The Tet Offensive. Charleston: Createspace. ISBN 9781481219464.

External links

1968 in the Vietnam War

The year 1968 saw major developments in the Vietnam War. The military operations started with an attack on a US base by the Vietnam People's Army (NVA) and the Viet Cong on January 1, ending a truce declared by the Pope and agreed upon by all sides. At the end of January, the North Vietnamese and the Viet Cong launched the Tet Offensive.

Hanoi erred monumentally in its certainty that the offensive would trigger a supportive uprising of the population. NVA and Viet Cong troops throughout the South, from Hue to the Mekong Delta, attacked in force for the first time in the war, but to devastating cost as ARVN and American troops killed close to 37,000 of the ill-supported enemy in less than a month for losses of 3700 and 7600 respectively. These reversals on the battlefield (the Viet Cong would never again fight effectively as a cohesive force) failed to register on the American home front, however, as shocking photos and television imagery, and statements such as Conkrite's, fueled what would ultimately prove to be a propaganda victory for Hanoi.

Peter Arnett quoting an unnamed US major as saying, "It became necessary to destroy the town to save it." Eddie Adams' iconic image of South Vietnamese General Nguyễn Ngọc Loan's execution of a Viet Cong operative was taken in 1968. The year also saw Walter Cronkite's call to honourably exit Vietnam because he thought the war was lost. This negative impression forced the US into the Paris peace talks with North Vietnam.

US troop numbers peaked in 1968 with President Johnson approving an increased maximum number of US troops in Vietnam at 549,500. The year was the most expensive in the Vietnam War with the American spending US$77.4 billion (US$ 557 billion in 2019) on the war. The year also became the deadliest of the Vietnam War for America and its allies with 27,915 South Vietnamese (ARVN) soldiers killed and the Americans suffering 16,592 killed compared to around two hundred thousand of the communist forces killed. The deadliest week of the Vietnam War for the USA was during the Tet Offensive specifically February 11–17, 1968, during which period 543 Americans were killed in action, and 2547 were wounded.

304th Division (Vietnam)

The 304 Division is an infantry division of the People's Army of Vietnam. It was established in January 1950 at Thanh Hoa.

325th Division (Vietnam)

The 325th Infantry Division is a division of the People's Army of Vietnam, first formed in March 1951 from independent units in Thừa Thiên, it is likely that it only became fully operational in mid-1952. It was one of the 6 original "Iron and Steel" Divisions of the Viet Minh.

Eugene Ashley High School

Eugene Ashley High School is a high school just outside Wilmington, North Carolina, located in the New Hanover County School District. The facility was opened in the New Hanover County Veteran's Park in 2001. The school was named after Medal of Honor recipient Sgt. Eugene Ashley, Jr., a native of Wilmington who died at age 37 in the battle of Lang Vei during the Vietnam War. As of the 2015-16 school year, it is 382 students over capacity.

Eugene Ashley Jr.

Eugene Ashley Jr. (October 12, 1930 or 1931 – February 7, 1968) was a United States Army Special Forces soldier and a recipient of America's highest military decoration—the Medal of Honor—for his actions in the Vietnam War.


Lang may refer to:

Lang (surname), a surname of independent Germanic or Chinese origin

List of African-American Medal of Honor recipients

The Medal of Honor was created during the American Civil War and is the highest military decoration presented by the United States government to a member of its armed forces. Recipients must have distinguished themselves at the risk of their own life above and beyond the call of duty in action against an enemy of the United States. Because of the nature of this medal, it is commonly presented posthumously.Of the 3,470 Medals of Honor awarded as of June 2015, 90 have been awarded to 89 different African-American recipients. Robert Augustus Sweeney is one of 19 men, and the only African American, to have been awarded two Medals of Honor.A 1993 study commissioned by the United States Army investigated racial discrimination in the awarding of medals. At the time, no Medals of Honor had been awarded to black soldiers who served in World War II. After an exhaustive review of files, the study recommended that several black Distinguished Service Cross recipients be upgraded to the Medal of Honor. On January 13, 1997, President Bill Clinton awarded the Medal to seven African-American World War II veterans; of these, only Vernon Baker was still alive.On March 18, 2014, following a review of 23 other citations of Hispanic, and Jewish soldiers who may have been passed over for the Medal of Honor due to their race or religion, former Special Forces soldier Melvin Morris, an African American was selected to be included into the review in order to allow his Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) Medal, which is the United States Army's second highest award for combat valor to be upgraded to the Medal of Honor (MOH) the highest U.S. decoration for courage in combat.

List of United States servicemembers and civilians missing in action during the Vietnam War (1968–69)

This article is a list of U.S. MIAs of the Vietnam War in the period 1968–69. In 1973, the United States listed 2,646 Americans as unaccounted for from the entire Vietnam War. By August 2017, 1,604 Americans remained unaccounted for, of whom 1,026 were classified as further pursuit, 488 as no further pursuit and 90 as deferred.

List of war museums and monuments in Vietnam

There are numerous war museums, memorials and monuments in Vietnam, this page presents a partial list of museums and monuments located in Vietnam relating to the First Indochina War and the Second Indochina War. This list is organized by location.

Military imposter

A military imposter is a person who makes false claims about his or her military service in civilian life. This includes claims by people that have never been in the military as well as lies or embellishments by genuine veterans. Some individuals who do this also wear privately obtained uniforms or medals which were never officially issued to them.

In British military slang, such imposters are called "Walts", based on James Thurber's fictional character, Walter Mitty, who daydreamed of being a war hero. In the United States since the early 2000s, the term "stolen valor" has become popular slang for this kind of behavior, so named for the 1998 book of that name. Other terms include "fake warriors", "military phonies", "medal cheats",and "military posers".Lying about military service or wearing a uniform or medals that were not earned is criminalized in some circumstances, especially if done with the goal of obtaining money or any other kind of tangible benefit, though laws vary by country.

Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 11

Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 11 (NMCB 11) is a United States Navy Construction Battalion, otherwise known as a Seabee Battalion, presently home-ported at the Naval Construction Battalion Center (Gulfport, Mississippi). The unit was formed during World War II as the 11th Naval Construction Battalion at Camp Allen on 28 June 1942. On 1 July, she moved to the new Seabee base Camp Bradford. Seabee battalions were numbered sequentially in the order they were stood up. The battalion lost one man during the war to an accident. The 11th NCB was inactivated on 1 December 1945, at Subic Bay, Philippines.

The unit was reactivated as Mobile Construction Battalion 11 in the fall 1953, only to be decommissioned again in December 1969. However, MCB 11 made four tours in Vietnam. Eleven's fourth Seabee Technical Assistance Team (STAT) was sent to a Special Forces camp near the junction of two jungle routes, one called the Ho Chi Minh trail. It was the main route for the Viet Cong into South Vietnam, and lead to the most decorated group of Seabees in Seabee history. The battalion's 1967 tour exposed the men to the most severe combat the Seabees had seen since World War II. They came under fire 128 times, costing them 12 KIA. There were construction fatalities as well. In addition, the battalion suffered 102 wounded. NMCB 11 had one man make all four tours, getting a ribbon that matches the battalion's battle streamer. The battalion was deactivated in 1969.

Reactivated in 2007, NMCB 11 has since deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan. It has also undertaken international engagement activities in the Pacific, and has supported relief efforts in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. Homeport for NMCB 11 is NCBC Gulfport Mississippi


The PT-76 is a Soviet amphibious light tank that was introduced in the early 1950s and soon became the standard reconnaissance tank of the Soviet Army and the other Warsaw Pact armed forces. It was widely exported to other friendly states, like India, Iraq, Syria, North Korea and North Vietnam. Overall, some 25 countries used the PT-76.The tank's full name is Floating Tank–76 (плавающий танк, plavayushchiy tank, or ПТ-76). 76 stands for the caliber of the main armament: the 76.2 mm D-56T series rifled tank gun.

The PT-76 is used in the reconnaissance and fire-support roles. Its chassis served as the basis for a number of other vehicle designs, many of them amphibious, including the BTR-50 armored personnel carrier, the ZSU-23-4 self-propelled antiaircraft gun, the ASU-85 airborne self-propelled gun and the 2K12 Kub anti-aircraft missile launch vehicle.

William Northrop

William Warren "Will" Northrop (born c. 1944) is a military historian, investigator and writer. He is best known for the controversy regarding his claims of military and combat service, and prior to that for his role in the so-called "Brokers of Death" arms case, a precursor to the Iran–Contra scandal in 1986.

He is a writer and has written articles over the years for such diverse venues as Penthouse, New Dimensions magazine, and The Jerusalem Post. He has also written several articles in Recall, the magazine of the North Carolina Military Historical Society, mostly battle analyses.

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.