Bath and North East Somerset Council is the local council for the district of Bath and North East Somerset in Somerset, England.
It is a unitary authority, with the powers and functions of a non-metropolitan county and district council combined. The council consists of 59 councillors: 28 from Bath, 6 each from the Norton Radstock and Keynsham areas, and 19 from other areas.
Bath and North East Somerset Council
|Founded||1 April 1996|
|Preceded by||Avon County Council|
Chair of the Council
Cllr Eleanor Jackson, Labour
since 21 May 2019
Leader of the Council
Cllr Dine Romero, Liberal Democrats
since 21 May 2019
since June 2016
Length of term
|2 May 2019|
|4 May 2023|
Historically part of the county of Somerset, Bath was made a county borough in 1889 and thus was independent of the newly created administrative Somerset county council, which covered the rest of the area that became Bath and North East Somerset. The area that would become Bath and North East Somerset became part of Avon when that non-metropolitan county was created in 1974. Since the abolition of Avon in 1996, Bath has been the main centre of the district of Bath and North East Somerset, one of the four authorities that replaced Avon County Council and the six district councils of Avon. The authority covers the combined areas of the non-metropolitan districts (that existed 1974 to 1996) of Wansdyke and Bath.
Before the Reform Act of 1832, Bath elected two members to the unreformed House of Commons. Bath now has a single parliamentary constituency, with Liberal Democrat Wera Hobhouse as Member of Parliament. The rest of the area falls within the North East Somerset constituency. Previously, most of the area was in the Wansdyke constituency.
From the creation of the authority in 1995, no political party had overall control of the council until 2015. The Liberal Democrats quickly became the dominant party until the 2007 elections when the Conservative Party won 31 seats to become the largest party, though they did not have a majority. In the 2015 elections, the Conservatives won 37 seats to gain overall control of the council, then in 2019 the Liberal Democrats took control after winning 37 seats.
A boundary change in 2018 meant that the number of councillors elected in 2019 was reduced from 65 to 59, and the number of electoral wards from 37 to 33. Most wards had their boundaries adjusted so that the number of electors per councillor is roughly similar.
The number of councillors by party was:
The Bath and North East Somerset Council election was held on 5 May 2011 to elect 65 local councillors for Bath and North East Somerset Council.2015 Bath and North East Somerset Council election
The 2015 Bath and North East Somerset Council election took place on 7 May 2015 to elect members of Bath and North East Somerset Council in England. This coincided with other local elections and the 2015 general election.2019 Bath and North East Somerset Council election
The 2019 Bath and North East Somerset Council election was held on 2 May 2019 to elect members of Bath and North East Somerset Council in England.
The Conservative Party took control of the council at the 2015 election, with thirty-seven members and a working majority of seven. At the 2019 election, the Conservative Party defended 36 seats, the Liberal Democrats defended 17 seats and the Labour Party defended six.Avon County Council
Avon County Council was the county council of the non-metropolitan county of Avon in south west England. It came into its powers on 1 April 1974 and was abolished on 1 April 1996 at the same time as the county. The county council was based in Bristol at Avon House and Avon House North. It was replaced with four authorities: Bristol City Council, South Gloucestershire Council, North Somerset Council and Bath and North East Somerset Council.Bath Assembly Rooms
The Bath Assembly Rooms, designed by John Wood the Younger in 1769, are a set of elegant assembly rooms located in the heart of the World Heritage City of Bath in England which are now open to the public as a visitor attraction. They are designated as a Grade I listed building.During the Georgian era Bath became fashionable, and the architects John Wood the Elder, and his son laid out new areas of housing for residents and visitors. Assembly rooms had been built early in the 18th century, but a new venue for balls, concerts and gambling was envisaged in the area between Queen Square, The Circus and the Royal Crescent. Robert Adam submitted a proposal that was rejected as too expensive. John Wood, the Younger raised funding through a tontine, and construction started in 1769. The new or upper assembly rooms opened with a grand ball in 1771 and became the hub of fashionable society, being frequented by Jane Austen and Charles Dickens, along with the nobility of the time.
The building, made of Bath stone, is arranged in a U shape. There are four main function rooms in the complex: the 100-foot-long (30 m) ballroom — the largest Georgian interior in Bath; the tea room; the card room; and the octagon. The rooms have Whitefriars crystal chandeliers and are decorated with fine art.
In the 20th century they were used as a cinema and in 1931 were taken over by the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings and restored. They were bombed and burnt out during the Second World War, with restoration undertaken by Sir Albert Richardson before reopening in 1963. They are now owned by the National Trust and operated by Bath and North East Somerset Council for public functions. The basement of the building provides a home to the Fashion Museum.Bath and North East Somerset Council elections
Bath and North East Somerset is a unitary authority in Somerset, England. It was created on 1 April 1996 replacing Bath, Wansdyke and Avon County Council.Bristol/Bath to South Coast Study
The Bristol/Bath to South Coast Study is a transportation study initiated by the United Kingdom's Government Office for the South West and Bath and North East Somerset Council in southwest England. It was undertaken by WSP Group as a result of the de-trunking in 1999 of the A36/A46 trunk road network from Bath to Southampton. The final study reports were published in 2004.Education in Bath, Somerset
Bath, Somerset has a large number of educational establishments for a city of its size. It has two universities, a further education college and five independent schools as well as state-funded school provision. The state-funded schools are organised within the unitary authority of Bath and North East Somerset.Guildhall, Bath
The Guildhall in Bath, Somerset, England was built between 1775 and 1778 by Thomas Baldwin to designs by Thomas Warr Attwood. It was extended by John McKean Brydon in 1893. It has been designated as a Grade I listed building.The current Bath stone building replaced a Stuart Guildhall, built in 1625, which itself replaced an earlier Tudor structure.The central facade has 4 Ionic columns and the building is surmounted by the figure of Justice. The central dome and the north and south wings were added in 1893. It forms a continuous building with the Victoria Art Gallery and the covered market.
The interior includes a banqueting hall with engaged Corinthian columns. It contains 18th century chandeliers and original royal portraits. The room is used on royal visits to the city including Queen Elizabeth II who had lunch in the banqueting room in May 2002.It now houses the Bath and North East Somerset Council chamber, the Register office for Bath and North East Somerset, which sees the building used as a wedding venue, and houses the Bath and North East Somerset Archives and Local Studies services in the Bath Record Office. The Guildhall also serves as one of the venues for the Bath International Music Festival and other cultural events. It has been used for filming period dramas.The Guildhall was originally built as a town hall: it has never served as the meeting place of any specific guild. A suggested etymology is from the Anglo Saxon "gild", or "payment"; the guildhall being where citizens came to pay their rates.Kingsmead Square, Bath
Kingsmead Square in Bath, Somerset, England was laid out by John Strahan in the 1730s. Many of the houses are listed buildings.Locksbrook Cemetery
Locksbrook Cemetery is a municipal cemetery located in Lower Weston, Bath, England. It was opened in 1864 as Walcot Cemetery, and occupies 12 acres (4.9 ha), originally serving the parishes of Walcot, Weston and St Saviour’s. The cemetery was closed for general use in 1937 with over 30,000 interments there, though additional burials in existing graves continue. The majority of the cemetery was for about 29,500 burials from Walcot parish, with the north of the cemetery for Weston and St Saviour parishes.Nowadays it is designated as a 'Nature Conservation Site' by Bath and North East Somerset council, its owners. The cemetery has several unusual species of tree including Phillyrea latifolia, Sequoiadendron giganteum, Ailanthus altissima, Thuja plicata and Japanese Cherry.Roman Baths (Bath)
The Roman Baths complex is a site of historical interest in the English city of Bath. It is a well-preserved Roman site once used for public bathing.
The Roman Baths themselves are below the modern street level. There are four main features: the Sacred Spring, the Roman Temple, the Roman Bath House, and the museum which holds finds from Roman Bath. The buildings above street level date from the 19th century.
The Baths are a major tourist attraction and, together with the Grand Pump Room, receive more than one million visitors a year. Visitors can tour the baths and museum but cannot enter the water.Smallcombe Cemetery
Smallcombe Cemetery is situated on the edge of Bath, Somerset, England, in a valley between Widcombe Hill and Bathwick Hill. The cemetery consists of two distinct parts, the Anglican section known as St Mary's Churchyard and the non-conformist section known as Smallcombe Vale cemetery. They are sometimes known together as Smallcombe Garden cemetery. The two cemeteries have been closed to new burials since 1988 and they are maintained by Bath and North East Somerset Council. The Bath Corporation assumed responsibility for both cemeteries in 1947. In 1977 the caretakers lodge, described as The Lodge, Bathwick Cemetery, BA2 6DD, was sold for £800 without water or drainage.St Mark's School, Bath
St Mark's is the fastest growing secondary school in the whole of BANES. St Marks is constantly being upgraded and having new structural work done. By 2020 the school is expected to have 550 pupils attending the school. St Marks is an 11-18, mixed, Voluntary Aided, Church of England secondary school located on the border of Larkhall and Fairfield Park in Bath, England. It is a specialist Business and Enterprise College.
In September 2009, 100 pupils were enrolled at the school in 2019 the school is now at 370pupils. By May 2015 the school had 250 this number has risen to 370 by 2018.In 2010, Bath and North East Somerset Council called a meeting to discuss the future of educational provision for the children of Larkhall and the school put forward alternative proposals to its closure. In 2011 the school formed a soft federation with St Gregory's Catholic College in Odd Down, and an executive head teacher, Raymond Friel, was appointed to be in charge of both schools. The federation has built a new joint sixth form, The New Sixth at the St Gregory's Catholic College site.Temple Cloud
Temple Cloud (grid reference ST621580) is a village in the civil parish of Temple Cloud with Cameley, within the Chew Valley in Somerset in the Bath and North East Somerset Council area on the A37 road. It is located 10 miles from Bristol and Bath, very close to Clutton. The nearest town is Midsomer Norton [5 miles]. The village of Cameley is also very close.
The Temple in the place name relates to the Knights Templar who held the manors of Cameley and Cloud around 1200. Cloud is thought to come from the personal name Cloda.There were several coal mines in and around the village as a part of the Somerset coalfield, but these have all since closed.Walcot, Bath
Walcot is a suburb of the city of Bath, England. It lies to the north-north-east of the city centre, and is an electoral ward of the city.The Paragon and, continuing out of the city, London Road are part of the A4 and are believed to be a roman road, leading north from Aquae Sulis and linking with the Fosse Way, around which Walcot originally grew as a Roman residential area in the 1st to 3rd centuries. Another major thoroughfare is Walcot Street, near the city centre, which is well known for its artisan shops.The parish church of St Swithin, on The Paragon was built in 1779-90 by John Palmer. 18th century poet Christopher Anstey is buried at the church.
Walcot was the birthplace of Richard Debaufre Guyon, who would become, in succession, an Austrian officer, a Hungarian rebel and an Ottoman Pasha.The electoral ward returns two councillors to Bath and North East Somerset Council. The wards surrounding Walcot ward are: Lansdown to the north-west, Lambridge to the north-east, Bathwick to the south-east, and Kingsmead to the south-west. The River Avon forms the boundary with Bathwick and is crossed here by the Cleveland Bridge. The Grosvenor area of the city falls within the ward.
|County council and unitary|