The Baltimore News-American was a Baltimore broadsheet newspaper with a continuous lineage (in various forms) of more than 200 years of Baltimore newspapers. For much of the mid-20th century, it had the largest circulation in the city. Its final edition was published on May 27, 1986.
|Ceased publication||May 27, 1986|
The News American was formed by a final merger of two papers, the Baltimore News-Post and The Baltimore American, in 1964, after a long 191-year history and weaning process. However, the papers themselves had a long history that preceded them, in particular the Baltimore American, which could trace its lineage unbroken to at least 1796, and it traditionally claimed even earlier back to 1773. Other precursor papers The News and Baltimore Post were founded in 1873 and 1922, respectively, but they established an excellent track record and broke new ground both in graphics, technology, journalistic style and their quality of writing and reporting in their shorter lives.
For most of the last two thirds of the 19th century, the buildings of the two main newspapers of the city faced each other across South Street along East Baltimore Street with The Sun's "Iron Building" of revolutionary cast-iron front design reflecting the earliest "skyscraper" construction technique of 1851. Built opposite later in 1873, was The News office/printing establishment with its mansard roof and corner clock tower. Long time owner/editor Charles H. Grasty who bought the Evening News in 1892, directed the newspaper's coverage of the gritty late 19th Century burgeoning city with using advanced presses and techniques of graphics, line drawings and larger headlines in the short days before the advent of printed page photographs.
Competing with "the other paper" across the street, bulletin boards, chalk boards across the second floor front of the building and hawking "newsies" (newspaper delivery boys) with latest news, telegraphed election results made the intersection the hottest place to be in the Victorian downtown central district.
All this perished in smoke with the "Great Baltimore Fire" in February 1904, which burned out both buildings to a shell. Publication had to be temporarily shifted to other neighboring cities such as Washington. Charles and Baltimore Streets at the geographic center of the city became the site of a new marble beaux-arts classical-style publishing offices for The Sunpapers for the next 45 years, which nicknamed the corner "Sun Square". The Baltimore American had a towering office skyscraper American Building quickly rebuilt on the same site with a distinctive elaborate green ground floor with gold lettering of the newspaper's logo and masthead and the dates 1773 and 1904 over the doorways. An additional printing plant several blocks south was located on East Pratt between South and Commerce Streets facing "The Basin" and its wharves (today's sleek Inner Harbor), was also built after the 1904 Great Fire, which devastated most of downtown Baltimore.
An additional office building a block north facing East Lombard Street was built later in 1924 and supplemented with a more modern printing plant between the two buildings along the South Street side in 1965 after the final merger of the News-Post and American. The South Street complex was torn down several years after the paper's closing in 1986, and remained a parking lot and constant property of controversy for Inner Harbor area redevelopment. With the construction of a massive Commerce Place tower (initially named, later became headquarters and renamed for long-time famous local investment/financial/banking firm, Alex. Brown & Sons following take-over by Germany's Deutsche Bank) on the block between South and Commerce Streets in 1991, the intersection and battleground of Baltimore and South Streets (and intersecting North Street [later Guilford Avenue]) today are now relatively unknown for the "Newspaper Wars" that ebbed and flowed there through most of the 1800s.
Also one of the casualties of "The Great Fire" was the Baltimore Morning Herald which had been founded in February 1900 and combined with the Baltimore Evening Herald on August 31, 1904, six months after sustaining the damage from having its headquarters building at the northwestern corner of St. Paul and East Fayette Streets consumed by the blaze although the new massive City Circuit Courthouse (now the Clarence Mitchell, Jr. Courthouse) just to the east across the street, recently completed four years earlier, was unharmed. The new editor, employed for only four years so far since graduating from Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, young Henry Louis Mencken was thrown out of his office and arrangements had to be made to print the paper in another city and ship them back into Baltimore.
Several years later, in June 1906, The Herald was bought out by competitors Grasty and his News joined with Gen. Felix Agnus, owner/publisher of the venerable The Baltimore American and the staff, assets and resources divided between the two older papers thatthat were now the largest in the city. Mencken described his early reporting years in the second volume of his autobiographical trilogy Newspaper Days published in 1941.
The Baltimore American, claimed to be a direct descendent of the original Maryland Journal and Baltimore Advertiser was founded in 1773 and had a long-time editor/publisher with C.C. Fulton during the middle 19th Century. After the American Civil War, Felix Agnus, returned from the war and settled in Baltimore and became manager of the American and eventually married the Fulton's daughter. Within a decade, he became the editor and publisher following the death of Fulton. Agnus, who was born in Paris and having earlier served in the Imperial French Army of Napoleon III, was a major with the 165th New York Regiment and late in the war he was breveted a brigadier general in March 1865, and he continued using the title after retiring. He became very active in a variety of civic, social and political affairs of the city, including heading up the Centre Market Commission, which was responsible for rebuilding the Market Place after the devastation caused by the Great Baltimore Fire of February 1904. He was also very proud that his new skyscraper for the American was the first to be completed in early 1905 in the "burnt district." He died in October 1925 at 86, several years after selling the paper to a very controversial and often hated man in America.
William Randolph Hearst's Hearst Company newspaper empire acquired the morning American from Agnus and the afternoon News from Grasty in 1923 from another newspaper mogul Frank A. Munsey (who also owned the New York Herald, New York Sun, New York Telegraph and Washington Times). Known as the "Dealer in Dailies" and the "Undertaker of Journalism", Munsey purchased The News in 1908, just two years after the paper had been forced out from its burned-out headquarters across from The Sun into a new skyscraper and publishing tower at the southeast corner of North Calvert Street and East Fayette Street (across from the Battle Monument Square, which had survived untouched on the northern edge of the "Burnt District"). As the first non-resident owner of The American in its already long history, but not satisfied with this new property of The News headquarters, Munsey promptly tore it down just a few years later and rebuilt it in 1911 in larger and grander style as the then briefly tallest building in Baltimore, designed by the famed architectural firms of Baldwin & Pennington of Baltimore and McKim, Mead and White of New York City and named it The Munsey Building, with large ground-floor windows so passers-by could see the massive printing presses which printed the day's papers.
Mumsey also became the owner of a new large local bank known as The Munsey Trust Company, founded in 1913 and later reorganized in 1915 into The Equitable Trust Company with Munsey as chairman of the board. It became one of the city and state's largest financial empires into the 1990s. However, by 1924, when The News moved to new offices and printing presses at East Pratt and Commerce Streets facing the waterfront's wharves, the building was again renovated into the bank's headquarters for the next seventy years until another transformation after a series of bank mergers and out-of-town ownership take-overs in the early 2000s made it into apartments and condos. The Scripps-Howard Baltimore Post, a late-comer to the local newspaper scene, founded 1922 was later acquired and merged with The News by the Hearst Company in 1936 to create the Baltimore News-Post under the Hearst banner along with the old ancient The Baltimore American, which was published now only on Sundays.
In 1964, the News-Post and American became published as The News American with a newly designed masthead logo and vignette (sketch) and was now the largest circulation daily in Baltimore, especially prominent in the working-class and blue-collar districts until the early 1970s. A series of format changes and staff realignments alienated many readers under a new editing regime in 1977, along with new problems delivering an afternoon paper through the after-work day traffic congestion ("drive time") to the outer suburbs and changing evening leisure habits of the middle classes not allowing much time for paper reading so circulation slowly declined after it had been the largest in the metro area. After the paper's last edition was published on May 27, 1986 with the headline: "So Long, Baltimore", its demise left The Baltimore Sun (founded 1837, itit had just coincidentally been sold several weeks earlier by the longtime family publishers A.S. Abell Company to the national syndicate and newspaper chain Times-Mirror Company of the Los Angeles Times) as the sole broad-circulation daily in Baltimore, but it was not announced publicly until after the surprise folding of its main competitor.
The stunning news of the multimillion-dollar sale was just announced several days after equally stunning closure of News American, leaving The Sun published in the morning and The Evening Sun (founded 1910) in the afternoon as the only papers left. Separate staffs and content were maintained until the early 1990s when the editions became similar until September 15, 1995, when the evening paper was finally dis-continued with a sad banner "Good Night, Hon" and many of its features and staff combined with the morning paper, which eventually was renamed and publicized as The Baltimore Sun by 2005.
In 2000, Times-Mirror Company merged with the Tribune Company of the Chicago Tribune to form a larger syndicate including The Baltimore Sun, which later entered into bankruptcy in 2009 for four years after being acquired by billionaire investor Sam Zell.
Now the newly revamped News American is published seven days a week with the usually thick special Sunday edition of many sections. Masthead is redesigned with new vignette with old Phoenix Shot Tower in center and city skyline buildings behind, surmounted by the traditional Hearst stylized eagle. For the first time, paper is referred to without city name on masthead. A new prprinting presses plant structure constructed in the center of block between East Pratt and East Lombard Streets, joining previous structures facing opposite directions with loading docks on east side facing Commerce Street and large brick wall facing on South Street side on the west where huge anodized aluminum name plate is attached, visible from both streets and passing traffic next to new entrance lobby (with exhibits and display boards with history of newspapers) . Entrances on Pratt and Lombard are closed. Paper uses postal new address on South Street.
300 East Pratt Street was a proposed hotel in Baltimore, Maryland. The building was originally expected to rise 640 feet (200 m). Construction of the building was to begin in 2007 and was expected to be completed in 2010.
The construction of this building was proposed in 2003, though, it was never approved by the state of Maryland. In 2006, the construction of the building was again proposed, and finally approved by the state of Maryland. The building is being built where the Hearst Production Building once stood. Plans are now scaled back to 40 stories and 300,000 square feet of office space, in addition to a 270-room hotel. 300 East Pratt Street is located in Baltimore, MD between Commerce and South streets, housed the former Baltimore News-American building. It has been vacant and used for a parking lot for decades. However, parking lot owner InterPark LLC purchased the site in August 2013 after a redevelopment plan proposed by Urban America LP in 2006 fell apart during the recession.
The property, which has been used as a parking lot since the News American building was razed in 1990. The property has gone through two previous owners, and plans were floated for offices, hotels and condominiums but never realized. Then in 2013, InterPark, a Chicago-based developer and parking garage operator, bought the site for $16.4 million and requested bids from developers. Chicago-based InterPark Holdings tapped Comstock Partners in 2014 as a development partner on the project, and Comstock started working with the firm. However, Comstock stepped away from the project around the beginning of that year. The project was expected to break ground in 2016.
The constructions include feature sleek cladding of this millennium and tall, slender proportions that will drastically improve Baltimore's skyline. At 48 stories respectively, 300 E. Pratt will likely rise over 500 feet. The proposal for 300 E. Pratt St. from InterPark LLC and Comstock Partners calls for a building that would rise at least 38 stories, or about 425 feet, making it among the tallest in the city. It would include a hotel with 200 rooms, about 400 apartments, at least 500 parking spaces and up to 20,000 square feet of retail space.The apartments will be a mix of one, two and three-bedroom units and will have their own lobby, separate from the hotel. However, there were some concerns from the panel members that the building — which as designed would devote much of its first floor to parking, service and mechanical uses with retail on Pratt Street — could contribute to the disconnect between the central business district and the Inner Harbor. In order to meet new flood-plain requirements that the building's entrances be 8 feet off the ground in case of flooding during a major storm, Comstock Partners had to shrink the project's footprint, sacrificing about 10,000 square feet of retail space. Designers made the steps lower, wider and terraced, leaving wide stoops that invite pedestrians to sit and look out on Pratt Street.Environment/ Setting
300 East Pratt Street is in downtown located between Commerce and South Streets near the heart of Baltimore, Inner Harbor.
DEVELOPMENT GOALS • InterPark is seeking a development partner to build a mixed-use project on the last waterfront parcel in downtown Baltimore • InterPark goal is to partner with a first-class development firm to optimize the mixed-use potential at the site OPPORTUNITY • All development options will be considered including multi-family, retail, office, and hotel concepts • Site is zoned C-5-DC which allows for multi-family, office, retail, hotel or mixed-use development with zero height restrictions or set back requirements • Expansion of the site is available through purchase of front parcel owned by City.Baltimore
Baltimore () is an independent city in the state of Maryland within the United States. Baltimore was established by the Constitution of Maryland as an independent city in 1729. With a population of 611,648 in 2017, Baltimore is the largest such independent city in the United States. As of 2017, the population of the Baltimore metropolitan area was estimated to be just under 2.808 million, making it the 20th largest metropolitan area in the country. Baltimore is located about 40 miles (60 km) northeast of Washington, D.C., making it a principal city in the Washington-Baltimore combined statistical area (CSA), the fourth-largest CSA in the nation, with a calculated 2017 population of 9,764,315.Baltimore is also the second-largest seaport in the Mid-Atlantic. The city's Inner Harbor was once the second leading port of entry for immigrants to the United States, when most arrivals were from Europe. In addition, Baltimore was a major manufacturing center. After a decline in major manufacturing, heavy industry, and restructuring of the rail industry, Baltimore has shifted to a service-oriented economy. Johns Hopkins Hospital (founded 1889) and Johns Hopkins University (founded 1876) are the city's top two employers.With hundreds of identified districts, Baltimore has been dubbed a "city of neighborhoods." Famous residents have included writers Edgar Allan Poe, Edith Hamilton, Frederick Douglass, Ogden Nash, and H. L. Mencken; jazz musician James "Eubie" Blake; singer Billie Holiday; actor and filmmakers John Waters and Barry Levinson; and baseball player Babe Ruth. During the War of 1812, Francis Scott Key wrote "The Star-Spangled Banner" in Baltimore after the bombardment of Fort McHenry. His poem was set to music and popularized as a song; in 1931 it was designated as the American national anthem.Baltimore has more public statues and monuments per capita than any other city in the country, and is home to some of the earliest National Register Historic Districts in the nation, including Fell's Point, Federal Hill, and Mount Vernon. These were added to the National Register between 1969–1971, soon after historic preservation legislation was passed. Nearly one third of the city's buildings (over 65,000) are designated as historic in the National Register, which is more than any other U.S. city.Bernie Miklasz
Bernie Miklasz (born Bernard Joseph Miklasz February 15, 1959) is an American sportswriter and sports radio personality. He was the lead sports columnist at the St. Louis Post Dispatch from 1999 to 2015. He hosts the morning show on 101 ESPN in St. Louis.
Miklasz is a native of Baltimore, MD, and moved to St. Louis in 1985 to cover professional football for the Post-Dispatch. He has also worked at the Baltimore News-American and the Dallas Morning News.Defenders Day
Defenders Day is a longtime legal holiday on September 12th, in the U.S. state of Maryland, in the City of Baltimore and surrounding Baltimore County. It commemorates the successful defense of the city of Baltimore on September 12th-13th-14th, 1814 from an invading British force during the War of 1812, an event which led to the writing of the words of a poem, which when set to music a few days later, became known as "The Star-Spangled Banner", which in 1931 was designated as the national anthem of the United States.Equus (play)
Equus is a play by Peter Shaffer written in 1973, telling the story of a psychiatrist who attempts to treat a young man who has a pathological religious fascination with horses.Shaffer was inspired to write Equus when he heard of a crime involving a 17-year-old who blinded six horses in a small town near Suffolk. He set out to construct a fictional account of what might have caused the incident, without knowing any of the details of the crime. The play's action is something of a detective story, involving the attempts of the child psychiatrist Dr. Martin Dysart to understand the cause of the boy's actions while wrestling with his own sense of purpose.The original stage production ran at the National Theatre in London between 1973 and 1975, directed by John Dexter. Alec McCowen played Dysart, and Peter Firth played Alan Strang. Later came the Broadway productions that starred Anthony Hopkins as Dysart (later played by Richard Burton, Leonard Nimoy, and Anthony Perkins) and from the London production, Peter Firth as Alan. When Firth left for Broadway, Dai Bradley took over the role of Alan in the London production, playing opposite Michael Jayston as Dr. Dysart. Tom Hulce replaced Firth during the Broadway run. The Broadway production ran for 1,209 performances. Marian Seldes appeared in every single performance of the Broadway run, first in the role of Hesther and then as Dora. Shaffer also adapted his play for a 1977 film of the same name.
Numerous other issues inform the narrative. Most important are religious and ritual sacrifice themes, and the manner in which character Alan Strang constructs a personal theology involving the horses and the supreme godhead, "Equus". Alan sees the horses as representative of God and confuses his adoration of his "God" with sexual attraction. Also important is Shaffer's examination of the conflict between personal values and satisfaction and societal mores, expectations, and institutions. In reference to the play's classical structure, themes, and characterisation, Shaffer has discussed the conflict between Apollonian and Dionysian values and systems in human life.Frank Cashen
John Francis "Frank" Cashen (September 13, 1925 – June 30, 2014) was a Major League Baseball general manager. He was an executive when the Baltimore Orioles won the 1966 World Series, and 1970 World Series while winning three consecutive AL pennants from 1969 to 1971. Later he became General Manager of the New York Mets from 1980 to 1991, and the club won the 1986 World Series during his tenure.Garnett Stackelberg
Garnett Stackelberg (b. 5 January 1910, Chadron, Nebraska: d.12 January 2005, Georgetown) was an American journalist and socialite.
Garnett Butler was born in Nebraska on 5 January 1910. Her father was a building contractor and her mother was a teacher. Garnett attended Oregon State University before travelling to Shanghai in 1932, where she worked at the US Consulate.
After surviving house arrest under the Japanese occupation, she left her first husband, and settled in Washington, D.C., where she became a successful journalist, lecturer and society hostess.
She had already started writing for the Shanghai Evening Post, and went on to contribute to the Washington Star, the Baltimore News-American, Dossier magazine, Washington Life Magazine, the Palm Beach Daily News and the North American edition of L'Officiel, covering travel and Washington, DC society events. She also gave lecture tours about her travel experiences.Hearst Communications
Hearst Communications often referred to simply as Hearst, is an American mass media and business information conglomerate based in New York City.Hearst owns newspapers, magazines, television channels, and television stations, including the San Francisco Chronicle, the Houston Chronicle, Cosmopolitan and Esquire. It owns 50% of broadcasting firm A&E Networks and 20% of the sports broadcaster ESPN in partnership with The Walt Disney Company.Despite being better known for the above media holdings, Hearst makes most of its profits in the business information section, where it owns companies including Fitch Ratings, First Databank, and others.Hearst Communications is based in the Hearst Tower in Midtown Manhattan, New York City. The company was founded by William Randolph Hearst as an owner of newspapers, and the Hearst family remains involved in its ownership and management.Jack Pollack
James H. "Jack" Pollack (21 October 1899 – 14 March 1977) was an American Democratic politician known for criminal pursuits and interference in court system.Knickerbocker News
The Knickerbocker News (popularly known as The Knick ) of Albany, New York was a daily newspaper published from September 4, 1843, (when it was founded as The Albany Knickerbocker) in the capital city of New York State until April 15, 1988, when it was merged into a co-owned publication. The founder was Hugh J. Hastings, a young immigrant from County Fermanagh, Ireland, who worked as a reporter for several local newspapers before striking out on his own as a publisher/editor in the newspaper-rich community. He gave his newspaper its name in recognition of the region's deep Dutch heritage. (Albany began as the Dutch settlement of Beverwyck, then became Fort Orange after the British takeover, and eventually was renamed Albany after the English Duke of Albany.) Over the years, Hastings (who became politically influential before eventually selling his company and moving to Monmouth, New Jersey, where he worked as a publisher until his death in a carriage accident) and his successor owners purchased and absorbed numerous competitors, and for decades the publication had the highest daily circulation in New York's Capital Region.
What became called The Knickerbocker News after it absorbed the competing Albany Evening News was sold to the Gannett Corp. in 1928. Then, in 1960, Gannett sold it to the Hearst Corp., the same year in which Hearst sold one of its two Rochester, NY, newspapers to Gannett, in effect giving each communications giant a virtual monopoly in the two respective Upstate cities.
The evening newspaper's last editor was Harry M. Rosenfeld, who had been hired from the editorial staff of The Washington Post by the Hearst Corp. about a year earlier to be editor of that newspaper and its sister publication, the Times Union. William M. Dowd, a veteran writer and editor who had been the associate managing editor of Hearst's Baltimore News American before moving to Albany in February 1977 to oversee The Knickerbocker News' daily operations and wrote an award-winning column that contributed to the publication winning more than 100 journalism awards in its final decade, was its last managing editor. When The Knickerbocker News' staff and resources were folded into the Times Union, under corporate orders no layoffs were made, an unusual decision in an industry in which staffing reductions during mergers had become the norm to cut costs.
According to The New York Times in 1988, in the paper's circulation "heyday in the 1930s and 1940s" it "was known for aggressive reporting, strong political coverage and a readable style." It continued to be known for those characteristics as shown by its annual harvest of journalism awards until its final days of publication.
The Knickerbocker News' circulation peaked at about 71,000 in 1972-73, which made it the largest newspaper at that time in the Capital Region, but had fallen to about 28,000 by the late 1980s. That was a fate that overtook most afternoon newspapers in the United States as major changes in the manufacturing sector resulted in changes in readership cycles by people who had been mainstays of newspaper purchasing before they began working different shifts and sought morning publications.List of newspapers in Maryland
This is a list of newspapers in Maryland.Media in Baltimore
Although Baltimore is only a 45-minute drive northeast of Washington, D.C., it is a major media market in its own right. Its main newspaper, The Baltimore Sun, was sold by its Baltimore owners in 1986 to the Times Mirror Company, which was bought by the Tribune Company in 2000. Baltimore is the 24th largest television market and 21st largest radio market in the country.Michael Olesker
Michael Olesker (born 1945) is a former syndicated columnist for the Baltimore Sun newspaper in Baltimore, Maryland, and a book author.
Olesker resigned from the Sun on January 4, 2006, after it was alleged that his columns contained passages plagiarized from articles at other newspapers. Olesker is known for his liberal viewpoints and for his criticism of the administration of Maryland Governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. (R), whose press office in November 2004 issued an executive order banning state executive employees from talking with Olesker. The Sun unsuccessfully sued over the ban, in a case decided by the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The Maryland Lieutenant Governor Michael Steele also accused Olesker of making up quotes.Olesker started writing for the Baltimore News American in 1978, prior to becoming a Baltimore Sun writer between 1979–2006. He was also a commentator on WJZ-TV from 1983 through December 2002, and his columns were syndicated in other newspapers such as Newsday and the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. After leaving the Baltimore Sun, Olesker was a columnist for the Baltimore Examiner until that newspaper ceased publication in 2009.
Olesker attended the University of Maryland where he was on the staff of the school newspaper, The Diamondback, serving as the sports page editor.Olesker is the author of Journeys to the Heart of Baltimore (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2001, ISBN 9780801867545) and co-authored Leap into Darkness, a 1998 memoir of a Holocaust survivor. His other books include:
The Colts' Baltimore: A City and Its Love Affair in the 1950s (ISBN 9780801890628)
Front Stoops in the Fifties: Baltimore Legends Come of Age (ISBN 9781421411606)
Baltimore: If You Live Here, You’re HomeHe was an extra in the 5th season of HBO's The Wire.Pro Football Writers Association
The Pro Football Writers Association (sometimes Pro Football Writers of America) (PFWA) is an organization that purports to be "[the] official voice of pro football writers, promoting and fighting for access to NFL personnel to best serve the public." Goals of the organization include improving access to practices and locker rooms, developing working relationships with all teams, and ensuring that football writers are treated in a professional manner. As of 2005 the group consisted of over 300 writers, editors, and columnists who cover pro football. ESPN's Denver Broncos reporter Jeff Legwold is the organization’s president for the 2015–17 term.The PFWA issues the following awards: an All-NFL team published by Pro Football Weekly, one NFL Most Valuable Player Award (since 1975), the Dick McCann Memorial Award, the George S. Halas Courage Award, the Good Guy award, the Horrigan Award, and the Rozelle Award.Stephen Braun
Stephen Braun is a reporter for the Associated Press.Braun was with the Los Angeles Times for many years, and served as national correspondent for the paper from 1993 to 2008. While at the Times, the paper won a Pulitzer Prize in 1993 for its coverage of the 1992 Los Angeles riots.Reporting done by Braun with Eileen Sullivan in August 2016 regarding donors to the Clinton Foundation who later met with Hillary Clinton when she was Secretary of State received a great deal of scrutiny.Braun also previously reported for the Detroit Free Press, Philadelphia Daily News and Baltimore News American. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1975.Braun also co-authored the book Merchant of Death: Money, Guns, Planes, and the Man Who Makes War Possible (2007) with Douglas Farah. The book tells the story of the international weapons dealer Viktor Bout, and was released a year before Bout was arrested in a DEA sting. The book detailed how Bout was able to deliver weapons to the deviant groups and nations, including militants in the Taliban, Somalia, and Yemen. Publishers Weekly wrote that, "The authors paint a depressing picture of an avalanche of war-making material pouring into poor, violence-wracked nations despite well-publicized U.N. embargoes."Temple Daily Telegram
The Temple Daily Telegram is the daily newspaper of Temple, Texas, serving Central Texas since 1907. The Telegram is locally owned and operated by Frank Mayborn Enterprises, under editor and publisher Anyse Sue Mayborn, the widow of Frank Mayborn.
On Sunday, November 18, 2007, the newspaper unveiled a Texas Historical Commission marker to commemorate the centennial of the publication.
The Telegram is one of only five locally owned newspapers in Texas with more than 10,000 circulation.Tim Kurkjian
Timothy Bell Kurkjian (; born December 10, 1956) is a Major League Baseball analyst on ESPN's Baseball Tonight and SportsCenter. He is also a contributor to ESPN The Magazine and ESPN.com.
He guests on Golic and Wingo on Thursdays at 7:44 AM, discussing the latest in happenings in Major League Baseball. He is a frequent contributor to Buster Olney's podcast. He also appears regularly on The Dan LeBatard Show and The Tony Kornheiser Show.WBAL (AM)
WBAL (1090 kHz) is a commercial AM radio station licensed to Baltimore, Maryland and owned by the broadcasting division of the Hearst Corporation. Airing a News/Talk radio format, WBAL broadcasts on a Class A clear-channel frequency, with 50,000 watts from a transmitter facility in Randallstown, Maryland. Listeners in and around Baltimore can also hear the station on FM translator station W268BA at 101.5 MHz.
The station shares its studios and offices with sister stations WBAL-TV (channel 11) and WIYY (97.9 FM) on Television Hill in Baltimore's Woodberry neighborhood. WBAL and WIYY are the only two radio stations owned by Hearst, which is primarily a publishing and television company.
WBAL is non-directional by day but uses a directional antenna at night to protect the other Class A stations on 1090 AM, KAAY in Little Rock and XEPRS in Rosarito, Mexico. With a good radio, WBAL's nighttime signal can be heard in much of Eastern North America, reaching as far as Finland, Sweden, Nova Scotia and Bermuda. Its daytime signal easily covers most of Maryland as well as the Washington metropolitan area, and parts of Delaware, Virginia and Pennsylvania.Wilbur D. Nesbit
Wilbur Dick Nesbit, also known as Wilbur D. Nesbit and Josh Wink (1871-1927), was a poet and humorist. He is most known for his poem, Your Flag and My Flag, which was popular during World War I. Throughout his career, he contributed his humor writing to many publications, including the Chicago Inter Ocean, Chicago Evening Post, Chicago Tribune, and Baltimore News-American.