Established 18 May 1703, under Tsar Peter the Great as part of the Imperial Russian Navy, the Baltic Fleet is the oldest Russian Navy formation. In 1918 the fleet was inherited by the Russian SFSR then the Soviet Union in 1922, where it was eventually known as the Twice Red Banner Baltic Fleet as part of the Soviet Navy, as during this period it gained the two awards of the Order of the Red Banner. Following the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, the Baltic Fleet was inherited by the Russian Federation and reverted to its original name as part of the Russian Navy.
Baltic Fleet sleeve ensign
|Active||18 May 1703 – present|
|Allegiance||Tsardom of Russia|
|Size||55 Warships |
|Part of||Russian Armed Forces|
|Engagements||Great Northern War
Seven Years' War|
Russo-Swedish War (1788–1790)
World War I
Russian Civil War
World War II
Crimean Crisis (2014)
|Decorations||Order of the Red Banner (2x)|
|Admiral Aleksandr Nosatov|
|Rear Adm. Aleksandr Vladimirovich Razvozov|
Adm. Samuel Greig
Cpt. Alexey Schastny
Adm. Arseniy Golovko
Vice Adm. Alexander Vekman
Adm. Lev Galler
Fleet Adm. Ivan Isakov
Adm. Vladimir Yegorov
Adm. Ivan Kapitanets
Adm. Konstantin Makarov
Adm. Viktor Chirkov
The Imperial Russian Baltic Fleet was created during the Great Northern War at the initiative of Czar Peter the Great, who ordered the first ships for the Baltic Fleet to be constructed at Lodeynoye Pole in 1702 and 1703. The first commander was a recruited Dutch admiral, Cornelius Cruys, who in 1723 was succeeded by Count Fyodor Apraksin. In 1703, the main base of the fleet was established in Kronshtadt. One of the fleet's first actions was the taking of Shlisselburg. In 1701 Peter the Great established a special school, the School of Mathematics and Navigation (Russian: Школа математических и навигацких наук), situated in the Sukharev Tower in Moscow. As the territory to the west around the Gulf of Finland was acquired by Russia for a "warm-water" port giving access for its merchantmen and the buildup of a naval force, the city of St. Petersburg was built and developed an extensive port. The School of Mathematics and Navigation was moved to St. Petersburg and in 1752 it was renamed the Naval Cadet Corps. Today it is the St. Petersburg Naval Institute – Peter the Great Naval Corps.
The Baltic Fleet began to receive new vessels in 1703. The fleet's first vessel was the 24-gun three-masted frigate Shtandart. She was the fleet's flagship, and is a prime example of the increasing role of the frigate design.
By 1724, the fleet boasted 141 sail warships and hundreds of oar-propelled vessels (galleys).
During the Great Northern War, the Baltic Fleet assisted in taking Viborg, Tallinn, (Estonia), Riga, (Latvia), the West Estonian archipelago (Moonsund archipelago), Helsinki, (Finland), and Turku. The first claimed victories of the new Imperial Russian Navy were the Gangut (Swedish: Hangöudd) in 1714 and, arguably, the Grengam (Swedish: Ledsund) in 1720. From 1715, the English Royal Navy intervened in the Baltic Sea on behalf of the German principality of Hanover, (dynastic home of the current British monarchy) and more or less in a tacit alliance with Russia. During the concluding stages of the war, the Russian fleet would land troops along the Swedish coast to devastate coastal settlements. However, after the death of King Charles XII, the Royal Navy would rather protect Swedish interests after a rapprochement between the Kingdom of Sweden and King George I. A Russian attempt to reach the Swedish capital of Stockholm was checked at the Battle of Stäket in 1719. The losses suffered by the Russian Navy at the Grengam in 1720, as well as the arrival of a Royal Navy squadron under Admiral John Norris, also prevented further operations of any greater scale before the war ended in 1721.
During the "Seven Years' War", (1755-1763), the Russian Baltic Sea fleet was active on the Pomeranian coast of northern Germany and Prussia, helping the infantry to take Memel in 1757 and Kolberg in 1761. The Oresund was blockaded in order to prevent the British Navy from entering the Baltic sea. During the Russo-Swedish War (1788–1790) the fleet, commanded by Samuel Greig, checked the Swedes at Hogland (1788) and the Viborg (1790). An impetuous Russian attack on the Swedish galley flotilla on 9 July 1790 at the Second Battle of Svensksund resulted in a disaster for the Russian Navy who lost some 9,500 out of 14,000 men and about one third of their flotilla. The Russian defeat in this battle effectively ended the war.
During the series of Russo-Turkish Wars, (1710-1711, 1735-1739, 1768-1774, 1787-1792, 1806-1812, 1828-1829), the fleet sailed into the Mediterranean Sea on the First and Second Archipelago Expeditions and destroyed the Ottoman Imperial Navy at the sea Battles of Chesma (1770), the Dardanelles (1807), Athos (1807), and Navarino (1827). At about the same time, Russian Admiral Ivan Krusenstern circumnavigated the globe, while another Baltic Fleet officer — Fabian Gottlieb von Bellingshausen — discovered the southern ice-covered continent, Antarctica.
In the Crimean War, (1853-1856), the fleet – although stymied in its operations by the absence of steamships – prevented the British and French Allies from occupying Hangö, Sveaborg, and Saint Petersburg. Despite being greatly outnumbered by the technologically superior Allies, it was the Russian Fleet that introduced into naval warfare such novelties as torpedo mines, invented by Boris Yakobi. Other outstanding inventors who served in the Baltic Fleet were Alexander Stepanovich Popov (who was the first to demonstrate the practical application of electromagnetic (radio) waves), Stepan Makarov (the first to launch torpedoes from a boat), Alexei Krylov (author of the modern ship floodability theory), and Alexander Mozhaiski (co-inventor of aircraft).
As early as 1861, the first armor-clad ships were built for the Baltic Fleet. In 1863, during the American Civil War, most of the Fleet's ocean-going ships, including the flagship Alexander Nevsky were sent to New York City. At the same time ten Uragan-class monitors based on the American-designed Passaic- class monitors were launched. It was the policy of the Czar and his government to show support for the Northern Union Army in the United States during their Civil War, observing and exchanging naval tactics and cooperation. In 1869, the fleet commissioned the first turret on a battleship in the world – Petr Veliky. Furthermore, in the second half of the 19th and early 20th Century a strong network of coastal artillery batteries was created to cover the approaches to St. Petersburg, Riga, and other important bases.
The Baltic Fleet took a prominent part in the Russo-Japanese War. After the defeat of earlier Siberian Military Flotilla vessels, in September 1904, a squadron under the command of Admiral Zinovy Rozhestvensky was sent on a famous high-speed dash around South Africa – stopping in French, German and Portuguese colonial ports: Tangier in Morocco, Dakar in Senegal, Gabon, Baía dos Tigres, Lüderitz Bay, and Nossi Be (Madagascar), then across the Indian Ocean to Cam Ranh Bay in French Indochina and then northward to its doomed encounter with the Japanese fleet at the Battle of Tsushima off the east coast of Korea in 1905, ending the Russo-Japanese War. The Imperial German civilian passenger Hamburg-Amerika Line provided 60 colliers to supply the Baltic Fleet on its epic journey. During its passage through the North Sea the Fleet mistook a fleet of British fishing boats for Japanese torpedo boats and opened fire, killing three sailors in what is known as the "Dogger Bank incident". The decision to send the Fleet to the Pacific was made after Russia had suffered a string of naval defeats in the East China Sea and the Sea of Japan off the coast of China and Korea near its Far East naval base and colony, at the hands of the newly emergent Imperial Japanese Navy and Army in Manchuria. The Tsushima naval battle broke Russian strength in East Asia. It set the stage for the unsuccessful uprising in the abortive Russian Revolution of 1905. That propelled the decline that would see the Romanov dynasty monarchy eventually brought down with the strains of World War I, in the Russian Revolutions of 1917.
Following the catastrophic losses in battleships during the Russo-Japanese War, Russia embarked on a new naval building program which was to incorporate a number of the most modern dreadnought-type battleships into the fleet along with other vessels and practices adopted from the Western navies. In late 1914, four dreadnoughts of the Gangut class entered service with the Fleet: Gangut; Poltava; Petropavlovsk; and Sevastopol. Four more powerful battlecruisers of the Borodino class were under construction, but were never completed. On the whole the heavy units of the Fleet remained in port during the war, as the Imperial German Navy's superiority in battleships and other vessels was overwhelming and it was difficult to communicate with Great Britain's Royal Navy forces further west in the North Sea even though they had the Germans bottled up after the Battle of Jutland in 1916.
The Imperial Russian Navy's Baltic Fleet included a submarine division that had about 30 submarines (undersea boats) of several classes and various auxiliary vessels, the largest of which were the transport and mother ships Europa, Tosno, Khabarovsk, Oland and Svjatitel Nikolai. Some of the Fleet's 355-ton submarines were made by Electric Boat Company of Groton, Connecticut in the United States, main supplier and builder of subs for the U.S. Navy. Five of these "AG (Holland)" class submarines were prefabricated by the British Pacific Engineering & Construction Company at Barnet (near Vancouver), in Canada's British Columbia, also under contract to the Electric Boat Company. These Canadian-built subs were shipped to Russia, a fellow Ally in the First World War in December 1915., Four of these submarines, AG 11, AG 12, AG 15 and AG 16 were scuttled in the harbour of Hanko on 3 April 1918, just before the 10,000-strong Imperial German Baltic Sea Division landed in support of the "Whites" forces in the little known Finnish Civil War. During the war the Fleet was aided by a detachment of British Royal Navy submarines. These subs were later scuttled by their crews near the Harmaja lighthouse outside Helsinki, Finland, on 4 April 1918.
During the October Revolution the sailors of the Baltic Fleet (renamed "Naval Forces of the Baltic Sea" in March 1918) were among the most ardent supporters of Bolsheviks, and formed an elite among Red military forces. The fleet was forced to evacuate several of its bases after Russia's withdrawal from the First World War, under the terms of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk. The "Ice Cruise" of the Baltic Fleet (1918), led by Alexey Schastny, saw the evacuation of most of the fleet's ships to Kronstadt and Petrograd.
Some ships of the fleet took part in the Russian Civil War, notably by clashing with the British navy operating in the Baltic as part of intervention forces. Over the years, however, the relations of the Baltic Fleet sailors with the Bolshevik regime soured, and they eventually rebelled against the Soviet government in the Kronstadt rebellion in 1921, but were defeated, and the Fleet de facto ceased to exist as an active military unit.
The Fleet, renamed the Red-Banner Baltic Fleet on 11 January 1935, was developed further during the Soviet years, initially relying on tsarist warships, but adding modern units built in Soviet yards from the 1930s onwards. Among the Fleet's Soviet commanders were Gordey Levchenko in 1938–39 and Arseniy Golovko in 1952–56. Ships and submarines commissioned to the fleet included Soviet submarine M-256, a Project 615 short-range attack diesel submarine of the Soviet Navy. The fleet also acquired a large number of ground-based aircraft to form a strong naval aviation force.
In September 1939, the fleet threatened the Baltic states as part of a series of military actions staged to encourage the Baltics to accept Soviet offers of "mutual assistance." Subsequently, in June 1940, the fleet blockaded the Baltics in support of the Soviet invasion.
Finland, which had refused to sign a "pact of mutual assistance", was attacked by the USSR. The fleet played a limited role in the Winter War with Finland in 1939–1940, mostly through conducting artillery bombardments of Finnish coastal fortifications. Many fleet aircraft were involved in operations against Finland, however. Its operations came to a close with the freezing of the Gulf of Finland during the exceptionally cold winter of that year.
In the beginning of the German invasion the Baltic Fleet had 2 battleships, 2 cruisers, 2 flotilla leaders, 19 destroyers, 48 MTBs, 65 submarines and other ships, and 656 aircraft. During the war the Fleet, commanded by the Vice-Admiral Vladimir Tributz, defended the Hanko Peninsula, Tallinn, several islands in Estonian SSR, participated in the break through breach of the Siege of Leningrad, etc. 137 sailors of the Baltic Fleet were awarded a title of the Hero of the Soviet Union. However, for most of the war the fleet was trapped by German and Finnish minefields in Leningrad and nearby Kronstadt, the only bases left in Soviet hands on the Baltic coast. Another key factor was that the Finns had recaptured outer islands of the Gulf of Finland, Suursaari being the most important of them. Many of the fleet sailors fought on land as infantry during the siege. Only submarines could risk the passage into the open sea to strike at German shipping. They were particularly successful towards the end of the war, sinking ships like Wilhelm Gustloff, Steuben and Goya, causing great loss of life.
The Fleet carried out the Soviet evacuation of Tallinn in late August 1941.
|Navies of Russia|
During the Immediate post-war period the importance of the Red-Banner Baltic Fleet increased despite the Baltic being a shallow sea with the exits easily becoming choke points by other countries. The Baltic Fleet was increased to two Fleets, the 4th Red-Banner Baltic Fleet and the 8th Red-Banner Baltic Fleet on 15 February 1946. However, during the post-Stalinist period and general reforms and downsizing in the Soviet Armed Forces the two fleets of the Baltic were again reduced, with many vessels, some built before the Revolution, were scrapped, and the Fleet was again renamed Red-Banner Baltic Fleet on 24 December 1955.
In Liepāja the Baltic Fleet's 14th submarine squadron, call sign "Kompleks" ("Комплекс") was stationed with 16 submarines (613, 629a, 651); as was the 6th group of rear supply of Baltic Fleet, and the 81st design bureau and reserve command center of the same force.
Far from being reduced in importance, operations of the Red-Banner Baltic Fleet during the early-Cold War period earned it a great amount of prestige and profile, with the second awarding of the Order of Red Banner being presented on 7 May 1965 when the Fleet was again renamed to Twice Red-Banner Baltic Fleet. Although the Soviet Union poured resources into building up the Northern Fleet and the Pacific Fleet, both of which had easy access to the open ocean, the Twice Red-Banner Baltic Fleet assumed the very important position of supporting the northern flank of the European Theatre in case of a confrontation with NATO. This role was under-rated from the blue water navies perspective, but was seen as a highly valuable one from the strategic perspective of the Soviet General Staff planning. The Twice Red-Banner Baltic Fleet remained a powerful force, which in the event of war was tasked with conducting amphibious assaults against the coast of Denmark and Germany, in cooperation with allied Polish and East German naval forces.
A notable incident involving the fleet occurred in 1975 when a mutiny broke out on the frigate Storozhevoy. There were also numerous allegations by Sweden of Baltic Fleet submarines illegally penetrating its territorial waters. In October, 1981 the Soviet Whiskey-class submarine U 137 ran aground in Swedish territorial waters, near the important naval base of Karlskrona, causing a serious diplomatic incident. Swedish naval vessels pulled the submarine into deeper water and permitted it to return to the Soviet fleet in early November.
|Name||Period of command|
|Nikolai Ottovich von Essen||3 December 1909 – 7 May 1915|
|Vasilii Aleksandrovich Kanin||14 May 1915 – 16 September 1916|
|Adrian Ivanovich Nepenin||16 September 1916 – 4 March 1917|
|Andrei Semyonovich Maksimov||4 March 1917 – 1 June 1917|
|Dmitry Nikolayevich Verderevsky||1 June 1917 – 5 July 1917|
|Aleksandr Vladimirovich Razvozov||7 July – 5 December 1917|
|Aleksandr Antonovich Ruzhek||7 December 1917 – 13 March 1918|
|Aleksandr Vladimirovich Razvozov||13–20 March 1918|
|Aleksey Mikhaylovich Shchastnyy||22 March – 26 May 1918|
|Sergey Valeryanovich Zarubayev||27 May 1918 – 18 January 1919|
|Aleksandr Pavlovich Zelenoy||18 January 1919 – 2 July 1920|
|Fedor Fedorovich Raskolnikov||2 July 1920 – 27 January 1921|
|Vladimir Andreyevich Kukel (Acting)||27 January – 3 March 1921|
|Ivan Kuzmich Kozhanov||3 March – 4 May 1921|
|Mikhail Vladimirovich Viktorov||4 May 1921 – 6 May 1924|
|Aleksandr Karlovich Vekman||1924–1926|
|Mikhail Vladimirovich Viktorov||1926–1932|
|Lev Mikhaylovich Galler||22 August 1932 – 25 January 1937|
|Aleksandr Kuzmich Sivkov||25 January – 15 August 1937|
|Ivan Stepanovich Isakov||15 August 1937 – 9 January 1938|
|Gordey Ivanovich Levchenko||10 January 1938 – 27 April 1939|
|Vladimir Filippovich Tributs||28 April 1939 – 15 February 1946|
In 1946 the Baltic Fleet was split into two commands, the 4th and 8th Fleets
|4th Fleet||8th Fleet|
|Gordey Ivanovich Levchenko||February 1946 - March 1947||Vladimir Filippovich Tributs||February 1946 - May 1947|
|Vladimir Aleksandrovich Andreyev||March 1947 - August 1952||Fyodor Vladimirich Zozulya||May 1947 - February 1950|
|Arseniy Grigoriyevich Golovko||August 1952 - December 1955||Nikolay Mikhaylovich Kharlamov||February 1950 - December 1954|
|Vladimir Afanasyevich Kasatonov||December 1954 - December 1955|
In 1956 the two fleets were reunited into a single Baltic Fleet command
|Name||Period of command|
|Arseniy Grigoryevich Golovko||27 January – 24 November 1956|
|Nikolay Mikhaylovich Kharlamov||24 November 1956 – 29 May 1959|
|Aleksandr Evstafyevich Orel||29 May 1959 – 27 January 1967|
|Vladimir Vasilyevich Mikhaylin||27 January 1967 – 1 September 1975|
|Anatoliy Mikhaylovich Kosov||1 September 1975 – 2 June 1978|
|Vladimir Vasilyevich Sidorov||2 June 1978 – 12 February 1981|
|Ivan Matveyevich Kapitanets||12 February 1981 – 25 February 1985|
|Konstantin Valentinovich Makarov||25 February 1985 – 30 December 1985|
|Vitaliy Pavlovich Ivanov||30 December 1985 – December 1991|
|Vladimir Grigoryevich Yegorov||13 December 1991 – 2000|
|Vladimir Prokofyevich Valuyev||11 April 2001 – May 2006|
|Konstantin Semenovich Sidenko||May 2006 – 6 December 2007|
|Viktor Nikolayevich Mardusin||6 December 2007 – 8 September 2009|
|Viktor Viktorovich Chirkov||8 September 2009 – May 2012|
|Viktor Petrovich Kravchuk||May 2012 – 29 June 2016|
|Aleksandr Mikhailovich Nosatov||29 June 2016 (acting), confirmed 17 September 2016|
The breakup of the Soviet Union deprived the Fleet of key bases in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, leaving Kaliningrad Oblast as the Fleet's only ice-free naval outlet to the Baltic Sea. However, the Kaliningrad Oblast between Poland and Lithuania is not contiguous with the rest of the national territory of the Russian Federation.
In the late 1990s the 336th Guards Naval Infantry Brigade and the remnant of the 11th Guards Army of the Baltic Military District were subordinated to a single command named the Ground and Coastal Forces of the Baltic Fleet under a deputy fleet commander. The 11th Guards Army remnant included the 7th Guards Motor Rifle Regiment and the brigade that was the former 18th Guards Motor Rifle Division, plus several Bases for Storage of Weapons and Equipment, holding enough vehicles and weaponry for a division but only having a few hundred men assigned to maintain the equipment and guard the bases. warfare.be listings in 2013 report that the staff of the Ground and Coastal Defence Forces of the Fleet may have been disbanded in November 2007.
The fleet's aviation units were equipped with a total of 23 Su-27, 26 Su-24, 14 An-12/24/26, 2 An-12 Cub (MR/EW), 11 Mi-24 Hind, 19 Ka-28 Helix, 8 Ka-29 Helix assault helicopters, and 17 Mi-8 Hip transport helicopters in 2007, according to the IISS.
As of 2008 the Baltic Fleet included about 75 combat ships of various types. The main bases is in Baltiysk and a second operational base is in Kronstadt. The Leningrad Naval Base is an administrative entity that is not a discrete geographic location but comprises all of the naval institutions and facilities in the St. Petersburg area. It should be noted that the assignment of the 106th Small Missile Ship Battalion is disputed; warfare.be places it under the 64th Naval Region Protection Brigade, while Holm, probably working from older sources, places it under the 36th Missile Ship Brigade.
In June 2016, fleet commander Vice Admiral Viktor Kravchuk and his chief of staff, Vice Admiral Sergei Popov, were dismissed for "serious training shortcomings and distortion of the real situation". N. G. Kuznetsov Naval Academy commander Vice Admiral Alexander Nosatov was made acting commander of the fleet, a position in which he was confirmed on 17 September.
Operational forces include:
12th Surface ship Division
Baltyysk Naval Base
Ships whose unit allocation is not precisely known
Naval Aviation (2007):
The 1946 Estonian SSR Football Championship was won by Baltic Fleet Tallinn.1948 Estonian SSR Football Championship
The 1948 Estonian SSR Football Championship was won by Baltic Fleet Tallinn.1951 Estonian SSR Football Championship
The 1951 Estonian SSR Football Championship was won by Baltic Fleet Tallinn.1952 Estonian SSR Football Championship
The 1952 Estonian SSR Football Championship was won by Baltic Fleet Tallinn.1956 Estonian SSR Football Championship
The 1956 Estonian SSR Football Championship was won by Baltic Fleet Tallinn.1966 Estonian SSR Football Championship
The 1966 Estonian SSR Football Championship was won by Baltic Fleet Tallinn.Baltic Fleet (United Kingdom)
The British Baltic Fleet and also known as the Baltic Squadron was a series of temporary or semi permanent fleets assembled for various naval operations of the Royal Navy in the Baltic Sea from 1658 to 1856 commanded by the Commander-in-Chief, British Baltic Fleet.Baltic Fleet electoral district (Russian Constituent Assembly election, 1917)
The Baltic Fleet electoral district (Russian: Балтийско-флотский избирательный округ) was a constituency created for the Russian Constituent Assembly election, 1917.
The electoral district covered the military forces and employees and workers at bases under the command of the Baltic Fleet. The Baltic Fleet was a revolutionary bastion. Electoral participation stood at around 70%. 76% of sailors voted, but the sailors were outnumbered by workers and soldiers at the naval bases. Baltic Fleet used a separate electoral system, where the voter could vote for two individual candidates rather than fixed party lists.The Bolsheviks in Tsentrobalt submitted their petition, with some two hundred signatures, to the electoral commission on October 12, 1917. Their list had Lenin as its first candidate and with Pavel Dybenko as its second name. Whilst the conducting the election campaign, the Bolsheviks in the Baltic Fleet prepared their role in the pending uprising against the Provisional Government.On the diametrical opposite end of the political spectrum was the Officers' Union or PROMOR. Different officers groups had emerged in the wake of the February Revolution, with the Union of Naval Officers of Revel (SMOR) being the most dynamic. SMOR was led by Commander Boris Dudorov, who would be named Deputy Minister of War for the Navy under Kerensky. In Helsingfors the first officers' union had been formed on March 10, 1917, led by captains I. I. Rengarten and Prince M. B. Cherkassky. This group had some 200 followers, including SR-oriented officers. The Rengarten-Cherkassky liberal group was initially affiliated with the Union of Officer-Republicans of the People's Army, but this bond did not last as the latter platform shifted further to the left. A more right-wing oriented and larger group in Helsingfors was formed on March 22, 1917; the Union of Union of Officer-Republicans, Doctors and Officials of the Army and Navy of the Sveaborg Base with Lt. Vladimir Demchinsky as its chairman. Demchinsky's group included Kadets and conservatives, and opposed socialism. SMOR and Demchinsky's group supported the Provisional Government and opposed to revolutionary and antiwar politics in the navy. There were also smaller groups of officials (such as in Åbo). On May 23, 1917 the different officers' groups united in the 'All-Baltic Professional Union of Officers, Doctors and Officials of the Fleet and Bases of the Baltic Sea' or PROMOR. The Officers' Union candidates for the Constituent Assembly were Demchinsky and Rengarten.The official SR list for the Baltic Fleet constituency was dominated by the left-wing. Its candidates were Prosh Proshian and Pavel Shishko. The right-wing SRs fielded Sergey Tsion (leader of the 1906 Sveaborg rebellion) and Maslov as their candidates. The fifth and last candidature was a supposedly non-partisan group with Lopatin and Magnitzky as their candidates.The election campaign received plenty attention in the fleet newspapers. The campaign of non-Bolshevik candidates was largely confined to Helsingfors. The outcome of the vote indicated strong dissatisfaction with the performance of the Provisional Government, as the combined Bolshevik/Left SR vote stood at around 85% (the highest of all electoral constituencies nationwide). Radkey claims Dybenko was the most voted Bolshevik candidate, placing Lenin second. Dybenko was himself a sailor, and likewise in the case of the SRs sailor candidates Shisko and Maslov scored higher votes than non-sailor political leaders.Saul (1978) reports the following result from the Helsingfors region of the Baltic Fleet electoral district (with results from 97 out of 100 electoral precincts); 22,670 votes for Dybenko, 22,237 votes for Lenin, 13,617 votes for Shishko, 12,906 votes for Proshian, 7,620 votes for Maslov, 7,351 votes for Tsion, 855 votes for Demchinsky and 838 votes for Rengarten. According to Soviet sources the non-partisan group got one percent of the votes in Helsingfors. In Kronstadt an 84% vote for the Bolsheviks was recorded. On the battleships the Bolsheviks won some 70% of the vote, whilst the (left) SRs dominated the vote in the Åbo–Åland region (which had smaller ships).Baltiysk
Baltiysk (Russian: Балти́йск), before 1946 known by its German name Pillau (Polish: Piława; Lithuanian: Piliava; Yiddish: פּילאַווע, Pilave), is a seaport town and the administrative center of Baltiysky District in Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia, located on the northern part of the Vistula Spit, on the shore of the Strait of Baltiysk separating the Vistula Lagoon from the Gdańsk Bay. Population: 32,697 (2010 Census); 33,252 (2002 Census); 27,070 (1989 Census).Baltiysk, the westernmost town in Russia, is a major base of the Russian Navy's Baltic Fleet and a ferry-port on the route to St. Petersburg.Battle of the Gulf of Riga
The Battle of the Gulf of Riga was a World War I naval operation of the German High Seas Fleet against the Russian Baltic Fleet in the Gulf of Riga in the Baltic Sea in August 1915. The operation's objective was to destroy the Russian naval forces in the Gulf in preparation for landing German troops to facilitate the fall of Riga in the later stages of the Central Powers' offensive on the Eastern Front in 1915. The German fleet, however, failed to achieve its objective and was forced to return to its bases; Riga remained in Russian hands until it fell to the German Army on 1 September 1917.Fyodor Raskolnikov
Fyodor Fyodorovich Raskolnikov (Russian: Фёдор Фёдорович Раскольников; (28 January 1892, Saint Petersburg, Russia – 12 September 1939, Nice, France), real name Fyodor Ilyin (Russian: Фёдор Ильин), was an Old Bolshevik, participant in the October Revolution, commander of Red fleets on the Caspian and the Baltic during the Russian Civil War, and later a Soviet diplomat.Ice Cruise of the Baltic Fleet
The Ice Cruise of the Baltic Fleet (Russian: Ледовый поход Балтийского флота) was an operation which transferred the ships of the Baltic Fleet of the Imperial Russian Navy from their bases at Tallinn, at the time known as Reval (Russian: Ревель), and Helsinki to Kronstadt in 1918.Khrabrovo Airport
Khrabrovo Airport (Russian Аэропорт Храброво) (IATA: KGD, ICAO: UMKK), also appearing in historical documents as Povunden Airfield, is the airport of Kaliningrad, located 24 kilometers (15 mi) north of the city near the village of Khrabrovo. While it mostly serves scheduled domestic destinations, part of it is still a military base of the Russian Air Force.Kronstadt
Kronstadt (Russian: Кроншта́дт, translit. Kronštádt [krɐnˈʂtat]), also spelled Kronshtadt, Cronstadt or Kronštádt (from German: Krone for "crown" and Stadt for "city"; Estonian: Kroonlinn) is an early eighteenth-century foundation which became an important international centre of commerce whose trade role was eclipsed by the growth of its strategic significance in the ensuing centuries as the primary maritime defence outpost of the former Russian capital. It is now the port city in Kronshtadtsky District of the federal city of Saint Petersburg, Russia, located on Kotlin Island, 30 kilometers (19 mi) west of Saint Petersburg, near the head of the Gulf of Finland. It is linked to the former Russian capital by a combination levee-causeway-seagate, the St Petersburg Dam, part of the city's flood defences, which also acts as road access to Kotlin island from the mainland. In March 1921, the island city was the site of the Kronstadt rebellion.
The main base of the Russian Baltic Fleet was located in Kronstadt guarding the approaches to Saint Petersburg. The historic centre of the city and its fortifications are part of the World Heritage Site that is Saint Petersburg and Related Groups of Monuments.
Kronstadt has been a place of pilgrimage for Orthodox Christians for many years due to the memory of Saint John of Kronstadt.List of active Russian Navy ships
This List of active Russian Navy ships presents a picture which can never be fully agreed upon in the absence of greater data availability and a consistent standard for which ships are considered operational or not. The Soviet Navy, and the Russian Navy which inherited its traditions, had a different attitude to operational status than many Western navies. Ships went to sea less, and maintained capability for operations while staying in harbour. The significant changes which followed the collapse of the Soviet Union then complicated the picture enormously. Determining which ships are operational or in refit can be difficult. Jane's Fighting Ships has noted in recent editions that some ships have little capability, but remain flying an ensign so that crews are entitled to be paid.Jane's Fighting Ships online edition, dated 8 March 2010, added "There are large numbers of most classes 'in reserve', and flying an ensign so that skeleton crews may still be paid. [Their listing reflected] only those units assessed as having some realistic operational capability or some prospect of returning to service after refit."Public holidays in Russia
The following is the list of official public holidays recognized by the Government of Russia. On these days, government offices, embassies and some shops, are closed. If the date of observance falls on a weekend, the following Monday will be a day off in lieu of the holiday.Semyon Chelyuskin
Semyon Ivanovich Chelyuskin (Russian: Семён Иванович Челюскин) (c. 1700 – 1764) was a Russian polar explorer and naval officer.
Chelyuskin graduated from the Navigation School in Moscow. He first became a deputy navigator while serving in the Baltic Fleet (1726) and later promoted to navigator (1733). Chelyuskin was chosen for the Second (Great Northern) Kamchatka Expedition, in which he took part until 1743. He participated in expeditions, led by Vasily Pronchischev and Khariton Laptev. In spring of 1741, Chelyuskin made a voyage from the Khatanga River to the Pyasina River by land. He described the western coastline from the Taimyr Peninsula to the Middendorff Bay and then from the mouth of Pyasina to the mouth of the Yenisei River. In winter of 1741–1742, he traveled from Turukhansk to the mouth of the Khatanga River, describing the northern coastline of the Taimyr Peninsula from the Faddey Bay on the East to the mouth of the Taimyra River on the West. Chelyuskin found the northern extremity of Asia, which Aleksandr Fyodorovich Middendorf would later name after him in 1843 (Cape Chelyuskin).
He was discharged from the Baltic Fleet in the rank of a captain in 1760.Vasily Chichagov
Vasili Yakovlevich Chichagov (Russian: Василий Яковлевич Чичагов) (28 February 1726 – 4 April 1809) was an admiral in the Russian Navy and an explorer. He was the father of Pavel Chichagov, a Russian admiral during the Napoleonic Wars.Vysotsk
Vysotsk (Russian: Высо́цк; Finnish: Uuras; Swedish: Trångsund) is a coastal town and a seaport in Vyborgsky District of Leningrad Oblast, Russia, located on the Karelian Isthmus, on the eastern shore of the Vyborg Bay, 12 kilometers (7.5 mi) southwest of Vyborg and 159 kilometers (99 mi) northwest of St. Petersburg. It hosts a base of the Russian Baltic Fleet and, since 2004, an oil terminal. Population: 1,244 (2010 Census); 1,673 (2002 Census); 929 (1989 Census). In terms of population, it remains one of the smallest towns in Russia.
|Commander of fleet|
|Navy bases in Kaliningrad Oblast|
|Navy base in Saint Petersburg and Oblast|
|Former naval bases|