Mackay Hugh Baillie Scott (23 October 1865 – 10 February 1945) was an English architect and artist. Through his long career, he designed in a variety of styles, including a style derived from the Tudor, an Arts and Crafts style reminiscent of Voysey and later the Neo-Georgian.
Mackay Hugh Baillie Scott
23 October 1865
|Died||10 February 1945 (aged 79)|
Elm Grove Hospital, Brighton, Sussex, England
The son of a wealthy Scottish landowner, Scott was born at Beards Hill, St Peter's near Broadstairs, Kent, the second of ten children. He originally studied at the Royal Agricultural College in Cirencester, but, having qualified in 1885, he decided to study architecture instead. He studied briefly in Bath, but his architectural development was especially marked by the 12 years he spent living in the Isle of Man. The first four years of this time he lived at Alexander Terrace, Douglas. In 1893, he and his family moved to Red House, Victoria Road, Douglas, which he had designed.
At the beginning of his career, Scott worked with Fred Saunders, with whom he had studied at the Isle of Man School of Art, which is also in Douglas. In May 1891, he was an art teacher. It was at the school of art that Scott and Archibald Knox became friends. He then left Saunders and set up his own business in 23 Athol Street, Douglas. In 1894, in an article in The Studio, he proposed a design having a high central hall with a galleried inglenook between the drawing and dining rooms and separated from them by folding screens. This hypothetical 'ideal house' brought in many commissions.
Scott developed his own Arts and Crafts style however, which progressed towards a simple form of architecture, relying on truth to material and function, and on precise craftsmanship.
Scott was known for the work he put into both the exterior and the interior, and its decoration. He produced nearly 300 buildings over the course of his career.
The year 1865 in architecture involved some significant architectural events and new buildings.1924 in architecture
The year 1924 in architecture involved some significant architectural events and new buildings.1945 in architecture
The year 1945 in architecture involved some significant events.Blackwell (historic house)
Blackwell is a large house in the English Lake District, designed in the Arts and Crafts style by Baillie Scott. It was built 1898–1900, as a holiday home for Sir Edward Holt, a wealthy Manchester brewer. It is situated near the town of Bowness-on-Windermere with views looking over Windermere and across to the Coniston Fells.
Blackwell has survived with almost all its original decorative features intact, and is listed Grade I as an outstanding example of British domestic architecture. The house is furnished with original furniture and objects from the period. The gardens were designed by Thomas Mawson in a series of terraces. Flowers and herbs border the terraces, which form sun traps on the south side of the house.
The house has been open to visitors since 2001 and hosts regular exhibitions including work by living artists such as Edmund de Waal in 2005. It won the Small Visitor Attraction Award in the Northwest of England for 2005. The house is managed by the Lakeland Arts Trust.Charles Paget Wade
Charles Paget Wade (1883–1956) was an English architect, artist-craftsman and poet; today he is perhaps best remembered for the eclectic collection he amassed during his life, a collection which can be seen at Snowshill Manor, his former home in the village of Snowshill, Gloucestershire, which he gave to the National Trust in 1951.George Blair Imrie
George Blair Imrie (1885–1952) was an English architect of the Arts and Crafts movement renowned for his sensitive and individual house designs.
Imrie was born in Virginia Water, Surrey in 1885, lived for many years in Esher with his wife, Helen Maud Harrison, whom he married in 1910, and died in Salisbury, Wiltshire in 1952. His parents were James Blair Imrie, clerk of works (who had been born in Edinburgh) and Alice Stallwood. (He is not the son of architect, surveyor and civil engineer, Benjamin B. Imrie of Castle Douglas, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland as was once thought.) He is considered a proponent of the style now known as "Tudorbethan", along with architects such Norman Shaw, George Devey, Baillie Scott, Edwin Lutyens and the designer William Morris. His houses are renowned for their use of quality materials such as hand-made tiles and leaded lights, oak window frames and doors with wrought iron fittings yet often remain relatively modestly proportioned and low-key rather than showy and grand. Even at the time this "liveability" was noted; the 1924 book Small Family Houses by R. Randall Phillips mentions an Imrie and Angell house in Byfleet, Surrey. The aim of this book was "to bring together a collection of houses suited to the needs of the small family. It is difficult to define just what accommodation may properly be embraced by such a term, but in a general way it has been taken to mean a house with two living-rooms on the ground floor and four or five bedrooms on the first floor." Many of Imrie's houses included state-of-the-art comforts of the time such as electricity in every room and "fitted-lavatory basins" with both hot and cold running water in all the bedrooms.
His architectural practice, Imrie and Angell, was based at 2 Mitre Court Chambers in London with Thomas Gravely Angell. Prior to that he had been in partnership with E. H. Stodart and W. G. Pine-Coffin at Thanet House on the Strand and at Chipstead, Surrey, as architects, surveyors, land agents and valuers.Much of his work was in Surrey, most notably the fine Arts and Crafts houses of Clive Road and Clair Hill in Esher, built in the 1920s. His other houses include:
a converted barn moved from Sussex to Reigate Road, Leatherhead in 1921;
85 Avenue Road, St John's Wood (1937);
the Arts and Crafts gardens at Tusmore House in Oxfordshire;
the 1920s extension of Upper Terrace Lodge at Hampstead Heath; and
a house in Chilmark, Wiltshire, 1936.(A 1968 addition to the latter house was done by Warminster-based architects, Imrie, Porter and Wakefield, who practised mainly from the 1960s through to 1984. The firm's archive is held in the Wiltshire and Swindon Archives and includes G B Imrie's professional accounts books 1914-1937; G B Imrie's Petty Cash book 1937-1942; G B Imrie's Letters to the Times 1943-44, among others. Since Blair Imrie died in Salisbury in 1952, this firm may well have been his last professional partnership, which continued to use his name after his death. Another possibility is that a son or daughter continued in the practise.)
His firm, Imrie and Angell, was also involved in with the development from 1912 to the late 1920s of 964 acres (390 ha) of land on St George's Hill, Weybridge, into a private estate intended for wealthy businessmen, centred on a golf course.Most notably among his non-residential work, Imrie's architectural practice won the competition to design the main building for the Royal Horticultural Society's garden at Wisley which was designed in 1914 and completed in 1916. The purpose-built, half-timbered, Surrey-style building known as the Laboratory is a focal point of Wisley and one of the first buildings seen on entering the gardens. It is also an early example of conservationism as the building was designed to be in keeping with the garden and was built using recycled materials from derelict properties.George William Potter
George William Potter (1831 – 14 April 1919) was a builder, estate agent and surveyor in Hampstead, London, whose firm contributed to the modern development of Hampstead and Hampstead Garden Suburb. As a builder, he constructed the houses in Gayton Crescent and Gayton Road. Late in life he wrote two books of recollections of the history of Hampstead.Inglesby
Inglesby, otherwise known as the Francis House, was located in South Yarra, Melbourne, Australia. It was designed by local architect Harold Desbrowe-Annear and completed in 1915.The house was designed for the Francis family, who emigrated from England in the late 19th century. The house was named Inglesby after the family estate in England of the same name. Inglesby was at the forefront of modernism in Australia, by using open-planning and enabling views across the entire house due to few interior walls. Desbrowe-Annear also introduced the ability to open up spaces to combine rooms, or to close them off to create multiple separate spaces. Furthermore, the use of plain white walls, a simple rectangular foot print, and reduced ornamentation also constituted the modernist style through the creation of pure and ordered form. The house was demolished in 1964 and a set of apartment blocks have been erected, which hold references to the Francis House through materiality and retaining the name Inglesby.Jimmy Dykes
James Joseph Dykes (November 10, 1896 – June 15, 1976) was an American third and second baseman, manager and coach in Major League Baseball who played for the Philadelphia Athletics and Chicago White Sox from 1918 to 1939. He batted over .300 five times and led the American League in assists once at second base and twice at third base, ending his career sixth in AL history in games at third base (1,253), and seventh in putouts (1,361), assists (2,403), total chances (3,952) and double plays (199).
When he retired, he ranked eighth in AL history in games played (2,282), and ninth in at bats (8,046). He holds the Athletics franchise record for career doubles (365), and formerly held team marks for career games and at bats.
He went on to become the winningest manager in White Sox history with 899 victories over 13 seasons, though his teams never finished above third place; he later became the first manager in history to win 1,000 games without capturing a league pennant.Kettering Town F.C.
Kettering Town Football Club is a football club representing Kettering, Northamptonshire, England. They are currently members of the Southern League Premier Division Central and play at Latimer Park in nearby Burton Latimer. Kettering were the first club to wear sponsorship upon their shirts in 1976, and as of 2015, were the leading FA Cup goalscorers of all time.Leonard Wyburd
Leonard Francis Wyburd RA (12 June 1865 – 17 January 1958) was a British painter, interior designer and furniture designer. He was broadly part of the Arts & Crafts movement, and the head of Liberty's Furnishing and Decoration Studio from its foundation in 1883 until he left in 1903.List of artists from the Isle of Man
A list of notable visual artists who were either born on the Isle of Man, or are known for their work on the Isle of Man.Non-narrative film
Non-narrative film is an aesthetic of cinematic film that does not narrate, or relate "an event, whether real or imaginary". The aesthetic is non-representational.
Narrative film is the dominant aesthetic, though non-narrative film is not fully distinct from that aesthetic. While the non-narrative film avoids "certain traits" of the narrative film, it "still retains a number of narrative characteristics". Narrative film also occasionally uses "visual materials that are not representational".According to Timothy Corrigan inThe Film Experience, non-narrative film is distinct from nonfiction film, though both forms may overlap in documentary films. In the book Corrigan writes, "A non-narrative film may be entirely or partly fictional; conversely, a nonfiction film can be constructed as a narrative."Onchan Village Hall
Onchan Village Hall is one of eleven buildings in the Isle of Man known to have been built by Baillie Scott. The Scottish architect and designer then resident on the Isle of Man had won the commission for the building through a design competition held by Onchan Commissioners for the proposed new hall. The building was constructed in 1897-8 and it is still in regular use today.Registered Buildings of the Isle of Man
This is a list of Registered Buildings of the Isle of Man. It includes buildings and structures in the Isle of Man designated by Isle of Man's Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture (DEFA) "as having special architectural or historical interest". Over 250 buildings and structures are listed, and 275 more have been identified as having potential for listing.Ongoing enforcement and registration of buildings is administered by a Planning and Building Control Directorate, within DEFA, and is guided by a planning policy document on conservation of the historic environment.DEFA notes that eight of the registered buildings have thatched roofs. Thatching in the Isle of Man include a group of thatched houses at Cregneash Folk Museum. which are not Registered Buildings.
DEFA notes that ten are designed by noted architect Baillie Scott. A number are designed by, or associated with, architect Thomas Brine.The Alliance for Building Conservation, a consortium of heritage groups on the Isle of Man, was organized in 2014-15 and has advocated for more preservation of buildings. It had concerns in 2015 about a backlog for registration of heritage buildings.Sibford Ferris
Sibford Ferris is a village and civil parish about 6.5 miles (10.5 km) west of Banbury in Oxfordshire. It is on the south side of the Sib valley opposite its larger sister village, Sibford Gower. The 2011 Census recorded the parish's population as 476.Snowshill Manor
Snowshill Manor is a National Trust property located in the village of Snowshill, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom. It is a sixteenth century country house, best known for its twentieth century owner, Charles Paget Wade, an eccentric man who amassed an enormous collection of objects that interested him. He gave the property to the National Trust in 1951, and his collection is still housed there.Storey's Way
Storey's Way is a mainly residential road, approximately 650 metres to the west of the city centre in Cambridge, England. It falls within the Castle Electoral Ward of Cambridge City Council, and feeds on to the major arterial roads Huntingdon Road to the north and Madingley Road to the west.
It is named after Edward Storey (died 1692), a local bookseller whose will requested that, should his son die without an heir of his own, his estate was to be used to buy land in Cambridge almshouses for the benefit of widows of clergymen of the Established Church and for widows and maidens 'of sober life and conversation' of the parishes of St Giles and Holy Trinity. The 42 acres around the L-shaped plot that is now Storey's Way was allotted to Storey's charity in 1805. To this day, the Foundation of Edward Storey provides sheltered accommodation to those connected with the Church of England and others in need from its base in nearby Mount Pleasant in Cambridge.Two University of Cambridge colleges, Churchill College and Fitzwilliam College, have their main entrances on Storey's Way; there is also the back entrance to Murray Edwards College. Trinity Hall has modern student accommodation on Storey's Way and the Trinity Hall Sports Ground is located between Storey's Way and Huntingdon Road.
Also close to the road are:
Ascension Parish Burial Ground, where many Cambridge academics are buried
Møller Centre for Continuing Education, Churchill CollegeThe Storey's Way conservation area covers houses on Storey's Way at its northern end and the Trinity Hall sports ground. The road features large detached houses built in the early 20th century, including a number designed by the Arts and Crafts Movement architect Baillie Scott. Due to the high-quality houses, it is a desirable area. St Johns College developed a parcel of its own land on Storey's Way from the early 1990s and maintained the interesting architectural mix of the area, including the creation of 'The Crescent', a Regency townhouse crescent revival of some repute.Tudor Revival architecture
Tudor Revival architecture (commonly called mock Tudor in the UK) first manifested itself in domestic architecture beginning in the United Kingdom in the mid to late 19th century based on a revival of aspects of Tudor architecture or, more often, the style of English vernacular architecture of the Middle Ages that survived into the Tudor period. It later became an influence in some other countries, especially the British colonies. For example, in New Zealand, the architect Francis Petre adapted the style for the local climate. Elsewhere in Singapore, then a British colony, architects such as R. A. J. Bidwell pioneered what became known as the Black and White House. The earliest examples of the style originate with the works of such eminent architects as Norman Shaw and George Devey, in what at the time was thought of as a neo-Tudor design.
Tudorbethan is a subset of Tudor Revival architecture which eliminated some of the more complex aspects of Jacobethan in favor of more domestic styles of "Merrie England", which were cosier and quaint. It was associated with the Arts and Crafts Movement.