Bagnan is a census town in Bagnan I CD Block in Howrah district in the state of West Bengal, in eastern India. It has one of the busiest railway stations in South Eastern Railway Zone within West Bengal.
Bagnan is located at 22°28′N 87°58′E / 22.47°N 87.97°E. It has an average elevation of 6 metres (19 feet). It is situated between two rivers, the Damodar and the Rupnarayan.
As per 2011 Census of India Bagnan had a total population of 10,996 of which 5,536 (50%) were males and 5,460 (50%) were females. Population below 6 years was 1,226. The total number of literates in Bagnan was 8,388 (85.85% of the population over 6 years).
As of 2001 India census, Bagnan had a population of 8,779. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Bagnan has an average literacy rate of 68%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 55% of the males and 45% of females literate. 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
- Bagnan High School; established in 1854
- Bagnan Adarsha Balika Vidyalaya; girls school, established in 1964
- Mugkalyan High School; in Mugkalyan, established 1866.
- Benapur Chandanapara High School
- Bantul Mahakali High School; established at 1916.
- Chandravag Srikrishna Girl's High School
- Bagnan Girls High School
- Tenpur Nabasan Anantaram High School
- Nabasan High School
- Khalore Gopimohan Shikshayataan
- Kalyanpur High School (H.S.)
- Bangalpur U. C High SCHOOL (H. S.)
- B.N.S.High School
- Bangalpur jyotirmoyee girls high school
- Bagnan Primary School (Govt), O.T road, near Telephone exchange
- Khalore Kali bari Primary School(Govt), Beside Khalore Maa Kali temple.
- St. Thomas school(Pvt), near registry office, bagnan
- Notobor memorial Kindergarten School (Pvt.), Chandrapur
- Children's academy(Pvt), near Block Agri office
- Swami Vivekananda School(Pvt), Khalore
- Path Bhawan(Pvt), near Khalore Maa Kali Temple.
- Little Millennium Pre primary(Pvt) - Near Bagnan-II BD Office, Kolapara Kamarshal.
- Chandanapara Children's Academy(Pvt)
- Bagnan College is affiliated to University of Calcutta. The college was founded in July 1958 with only arts faculty. In 1966 the faculty of commerce and in 1974 the faculty of science faculty was added. The college is accredited by the NAAC with B-grade since 2005.
The railway station
One of the key features of Bagnan is its railway station. It is by far the busiest railway station in South Eastern Railway Zone within West Bengal due to its connectivity to other major places
Station code : BZN
No. of Platforms : 5 (North to south)
- ^ Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Bagnan
- ^ "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". 2011 census: West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 11 May 2016.
- ^ "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- ^ Bagnan College Website
- ^ "Image of Bagnan Station".
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.