Coat of arms
Location of Bad Rappenau within Heilbronn district
|• Mayor||Sebastian Frei (Ind.)|
|• Total||73.55 km2 (28.40 sq mi)|
|Elevation||235 m (771 ft)|
|• Density||290/km2 (750/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialling codes||07264, 07066, 07268, 06268, 07266|
Bad Rappenau is situated in the northeastern Kraichgau.
Neighbouring towns and villages of Bad Rappenau are (clockwise from the east): Gundelsheim, Offenau and Bad Wimpfen (all of the district of Heilbronn), Heilbronn, Massenbachhausen and Kirchardt (both of the district of Heilbronn), Sinsheim, Neckarbischofsheim and Helmstadt-Bargen (all of the Rhein-Neckar-Kreis), Hüffenhardt (Neckar-Odenwald-Kreis), Siegelsbach (district of Heilbronn) and Haßmersheim (Neckar-Odenwald-Kreis). Bad Rappenau has combined with Kirchardt and Siegelsbach to form a joint association of administrations.
Bad Rappenau consists of the town itself and the villages Babstadt, Bonfeld, Fürfeld, Grombach, Heinsheim, Obergimpern, Treschklingen and Wollenberg.
Besides there are the hamlets Zimmerhof, Kohlhof, Maierhof, Bartsmühle, Kugelmühle and Sommersmühle. The hamlets Oberbiegelhof and Unterbiegelhof belong to Babstadt, Eichhäuser Hof, Obere Mühle and Untere Mühle belong to Bonfeld, Burg Ehrenberg belongs to Heinsheim, Eulenberg(er)hof, Wagenbach, Obere Mühle and Portland-Zementwerk belong to Obergimpern, Neumühle belongs to Wollenberg. Gone resp. non-existent villages are Niuern and Speceshart on the communal land of Rappenau, Eichhausen on the communal land of Bonfeld und Battenhausen on the communal land of Grombach.
Rappenau was first mentioned documentary in 1343. According to other sources the village was previously named as Rappenheim due to its founder Rappo who was not in connection with ministerials. Presumably the settlement began around the 8th century. In Middle Ages there were three villages near Rappenau: the upper village, the older lower village and the no-more existent village Speßhardt, besides several hamlets.
Rappenau belonged to the Lords of Vaihingen and Württemberg until 1339, since 1344 it still only belonged to the Lords of Württemberg. The upper and lower village grew together to a united village, bordering at the Mühlbach in the south. Eberhard von Gemmingen had built a water castle in 1601. In Thirty Years' War the village burned down several times. By the German Mediatisation the village came to Baden in 1806.
After discovering a brine 175m below earth surface in 1822, there were big efforts to use the brine as a remedy. However, Baden had no interests in creating a bath in the first time. So there was founded a community to create the Sophienbad (named after grand duchess Sophie von Baden) on May 15, 1834. Soon it turned out that the bath was unable to be financed, so it had to be closed. In 1845 the brine bath got opened, increasing its capacity more and more. In 1862 and 1882 a steam bath and brine inhalations were added.
In 1887 the children's spa rooms were opened. In 1912 Prof. Dr. Oskar Vulpius opened a sanatorium containing 120 beds to treat bone, joint and gland sufferings. Meanwhile, a new brine bath was built and opened in 1903. In 1921 there were around 84,500 overnight stays. The recognition of being a spa town goes back to a decree of 1930 by the ministry of Baden. Since then the municipality took the name Bad Rappenau. After World War II cure bustle increased heavily. In 1952 it has been the seventh biggest spa town in Baden. In the 1970s there were four special clinics consisting around 600,000 overnight stays.
Due to the administration reform of 1936 Bad Rappenau turned into the district of Sinsheim. On April 1, 1950, the village Zimmerhof has been incorporated into the municipality. From 1971 to 1973 eight further municipalities had been incorporated into Bad Rappenau. Due to the district reform of January 1, 1973, Bad Rappenau turned into the district of Heilbronn. This district belongs to the administrative district of Stuttgart, so a municipality previously belonging to Baden is now administrated by Württemberg. Also in 1973 the municipality got town rights. On January 1, 2003, Bad Rappenau became a Große Kreisstadt.
After the transition to Baden in 1806 the municipality got a member of the Protestant Church of Baden. In 1887 the foundation-stone of the new town church of Bad Rappenau was laid. Previously the parish belonged to the church district of Sinsheim, changing to the one of Bad Rappenau-Sinsheim in 1975. On January 1, 2005, there was a fusion with the church district of Sinsheim to the church district Kraichgau. In other villages of Bad Rappenau there are also different parishes belonging to the Protestant Parish of Baden. Just the parishes of Bonfeld and Fürfeld belong to the Protestant Parish of Württemberg, since these villages belonged to Württemberg in former times.
In the 19th century there were also Catholics moving to Bad Rappenau. Formerly they got cared by the neighbouring parish of Siegelsbach. In 1896 own services within the water castle took place. In 1929 the Herz-Jesu-Kirche was built, getting expanded in 1954. Since its foundation it belonged to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Freiburg (deanery Kraichgau).
Jews in Bad Rappenau are proved since the 16th century, although the municipality wasn't settled by them generally and the parish was quite poor and small. In 1802 there were five families living there, in 1825 there were six ones. In 1816 a new building failed financially. Later in 1843 a small one was able to be built. In 1881 a Jewish graveyard has been created along the road to Siegelsbach. The parish grow onto 80 persons until 1875, but after decreased heavily by migration and emigration. In 1900 there were 46 Jews, in 1933 just ten. The parish broke up in 1937. During the pogrom in 1938 a shop-window of a Jewish shop got destroyed. Four of the last five Jews living in Bad Rappenau were killed.
Following communal lands and villages had been introduced into Bad Rappenau. As far as not given otherwise they belonged to the district of Sinsheim until 1972. All of them came to the district of Heilbronn according to the district reform on January 1, 1973.
¹ results of censuses
Following the municipal election of 25 May 2014, the district council of Bad Rappenau has 34 seats. The election result is as follows:
|CDU||40.0 %||− 3.3||14||− 3|
|SPD||24.9%||+ 0.6||8||− 2|
|ödp||10.4%||+ 0.3||4||± 0|
|GAL||12.6%||+ 3.9||4||+ 1|
|Freie Wähler*||12.0%||− 1.9||4||− 1|
* In 2009, together with the FDP
In the past the local lord appointed a bailiff (vogt) to administer the village of Rappenau. Later the Grand Duchy of Baden established a mayor to head the municipal administration assisted by a council. Being a Große Kreisstadt since 1 January 2003, the mayor has the title Oberbürgermeister. His deputy is called the Bürgermeister.
Bürgermeister and Oberbürgermeister
Blazon: In gold on a blue sign a jumping black horse. The town colours are black and yellow.
The seal of Rappenau (1820) shows in blue two golden beams. Arms and flag were given by the ministry of the interior on September 26, 1957.
Bad Rappenau is twinned with:
Since 1989 Bad Rappenau has a museum showing the history of brine and bathing in the town.
Next to the parish church there is the old town hall built in 1841 being the first one. Nearby the old town hall there is a fountain of 1928 having the inscription: Ruhe ist des Bürgers erste Pflicht - Im Wein liegt Wahrheit, im Wasser liegt Klarheit. - "The first citizen's duty is silence - In wine there is truth, in water there is clearness." In the town there is some old half-timbering, e. g. the Dominikanerhof. The station is a building of classicism in times of rail construction.
On the urban cemetery lies Georg Christian Heinrich Rosentritt who discovered salt occurrences in 1822. Besides there is a war memorial.
Bad Rappenau has several parks at its disposal: the Schlosspark in the west around of the water castle and the Salinengarten including Hohenstadter Grund and Kurpark in the east.
From April 25 to October 5, 2008, the Landesgartenschau of Baden-Württemberg took place in Bad Rappenau. One of the main attractions was the graduation tower. The three parks have been connected and upgraded by this event.
Since 1977 and 1978 there is the Straßenfest respectively Stadtfest; also a spring festival takes place. Since the 1980s and 1990s there are different festivals in other parts of the town, e. g. the Herbstfest and the Schlosshoffest in Grombach, the Fischerfest in Heinsheim, the Schlossfest in Obergimpern, the Kelterfest in Wollenberg and the Martinimarkt in Zimmerhof. Also there is the lightning festival taking more than 10,000 visitors to Bad Rappenau and having big success. An open-air festival is also taking place.
Some of the biggest businesses are:
The Kraichgau Stimme, part of the Heilbronner Stimme and the paper Bad Rappenauer Bote / Eppinger Nachrichten, part of the Rhein-Neckar-Zeitung) inform about happenings in Bad Rappenau.
In Bad Rappenau there is a notary's office.
Bad Rappenau has a Realschule (Wilhelm-Hauff-Realschule), a Förderschule (Albert-Schweitzer-Schule), eine Hauptschule with Werkrealschule and a Grundschule each in Bonfeld, Fürfeld, Grombach, Heinsheim, Obergimpern, Zimmerhof and a further one (Theodor-Heuss-Schule) responsible for Babstadt and Treschklingen. The urban library has more than 20,000 media at its disposal.
Bad Rappenau station is the station of Bad Rappenau, a spa town in the German state of Baden-Württemberg. It is located at kilometre 27.9 on the Elsenz Valley Railway (Elsenztalbahn) or Neckargemünd–Bad Friedrichshall railway and is classified by Deutsche Bahn as a category 5 station.Bad Wimpfen station
Bad Wimpfen station is a station in a station in the spa town of Bad Wimpfen in the German state of Baden-Württemberg. It is at the kilometre 33.8 point on the Elsenz Valley Railway. It is classified by Deutsche Bahn as a category 6 station. The station building is heritage-listed.Contrexéville
Contrexéville is a commune of north-eastern France, in the Vosges département. Inhabitants are called Contrexévillois.
The reputation of Contrexéville as a health resort dates from 1864, when development began by a company, the Société des Eaux de Contrexéville.Elsenz Valley Railway
The Elsenz Valley Railway (Elsenztalbahn) or Neckargemünd–Bad Friedrichshall railway is an electrified, partly double-tracked main line in the German state of Baden-Württemberg, running from Heidelberg via Sinsheim to Bad Friedrichshall, that, for part of its course, follows the Elsenz river that gives it its name. The crossing stations on the single-tracked sections were controlled by mechanical signal boxes until 2008, but are now controlled by electronic interlockings.
The section from Heidelberg to Meckesheim was opened on 23 October 1862 by the Grand Duchy of Baden State Railway as part of the Odenwald Railway and is one of the oldest railways in Germany. The section from Meckesheim to Bad Rappenau was opened by the Baden State Railway on 25 June 1868 and it was extended to Bad Friedrichshall-Jagstfeld on 5 August 1869.
The line has been electrified to allow the extension of the Rhine-Neckar S-Bahn on the Heidelberg–Steinsfurt section of the line and the operation of Heilbronn Stadtbahn on the section between Sinsheim and Bad Friedrichshall-Jagstfeld.Frankenthal-class minehunter
The Type 332 Frankenthal-class minehunter is a class of German minehunters. The ships are built of non-magnetic steel. Hull, machinery and superstructure of this class is similar to the original Type 343 Hameln-class minesweeper, but the equipment differs.
Slightly modified Frankenthal-class minehunters are also operated by the Turkish Navy, where they are referred to as the A class.Gordan Ciprić
Gordan Ciprić (Croatian pronunciation: [ɡǒrdan tsǐpritɕ]; born 30 March 1965) is a former Croatian footballer, who is now a coach. He was born in Zagreb. He graduated from the Faculty of Kinesiology in Zagreb.Heilbronn (district)
Landkreis Heilbronn (German pronunciation: [haɪlˈbʁɔn] (listen)) is a Landkreis (district) in the north of Baden-Württemberg, Germany. Neighboring districts are (from north clockwise) Neckar-Odenwald, Hohenlohe, Schwäbisch Hall, Rems-Murr, Ludwigsburg, Enz, Karlsruhe and Rhein-Neckar. In the centre of it is the free-city of Heilbronn, which is its own separate administrative area.Heilbronn Stadtbahn
The Heilbronn Stadtbahn is a three line tram-train system in city of Heilbronn in the German state of Baden-Württemberg. It is based on the Karlsruhe model and operated jointly by the Albtal-Verkehrs-Gesellschaft (AVG), the Stadtwerke Heilbronn (SWH) and Deutsche Bahn AG (DB). It operates on normal railways under the Eisenbahn-Bau- und Betriebsordnung (Ordinance on the Construction and Operation of Railways, EBO) and within Heilbronn under the Verordnung über den Bau und Betrieb der Straßenbahnen (Ordinance on the Construction and Operation of Street Railways, BOStrab).
The oldest line of the system, the S4, was an extension of an existing line that had been operated by the Karlsruhe Stadtbahn since 1992. It was extended in 1999 from Eppingen to Heilbronn and since 2001 it has continued over the new Heilbronn inner-city line (Heilbronner Innenstadtstrecke). In 2005, the line was extended to Öhringen, which is integrated into the Heilbronner Hohenloher Haller Nahverkehr ("Heilbronn Hohenlohe Hall local transport", HNV), a transport association (Verkehrsverbund) that is responsible for coordinating fares and transport investment. In 2013, the new S42 service was opened to Neckarsulm. Since 2014, this service has continued via Bad Friedrichshall to Sinsheim, while the new S41 service also runs via Bad Friedrichshall to Mosbach.Kirchardt
Kirchardt (listen ) is a town in the district of Heilbronn in Baden-Württemberg, Germany.List of castles in Baden-Württemberg
Numerous castles can be found in the German state of Baden-Württemberg. These buildings, some of which have a history of over 1000 years, were the setting of historical events, domains of famous personalities and are still imposing buildings to this day.
This list encompasses castles described in German as Burg (castle), Festung (fort/fortress), Schloss (manor house) and Palais/Palast (palace). Many German castles after the middle ages were mainly built as royal or ducal palaces rather than as fortified buildings.List of subcamps of Natzweiler-Struthof
The following is a list of subcamps of the Natzweiler-Struthof complex of Nazi concentration camps, and work kommandos from the main camp.
These subordinated camps were located on both sides of the German-French border. There were about 50 subcamps in the Natzweiler-Struthof camp system, located in Alsace and Lorraine as well as in the adjacent German provinces of Baden and Württemberg. By the fall of 1944, there were about 7,000 prisoners in the main camp and more than 20,000 in subcamps.
Asbach, today part of Obrigheim
Auerbach, today part of Bensheim
Binau, seat of administration for subcamps in the area of Neckarelz
Bruttig-Treis (also called Treis-Bruttig), today Treis-Karden and Bruttig-Fankel, near Cochem
Daudenzell, today part of Aglasterhausen
Erzingen, today part of Balingen
Frankfurt/Main, located within the Adler factory
Frommern, today part of Balingen
Geislingen an der Steige
Fort Goeben within the city of Metz
Hessenthal, today part of Schwäbisch Hall
Leonberg, in the Engelberg Tunnel
Neckarelz I and II
Neckargartach, today part of Heilbronn
Oberehnheim, today Obernai
Oberschefflenz, today part of Schefflenz
Plattenwald, today part of Bad Friedrichshall
Sainte Marie aux Mines
Schörzingen, today part of Schömberg
Schwarzacher Hof, today part of Schwarzach
Unterriexingen, today part of Markgröningen
Wiesengrund at Vaihingen an der Enz
Walldorf, today part of Mörfelden-Walldorf
Wasseralfingen, today part of Aalen
Weckrieden, today part of Schwäbisch Hall
Wesserling, today Husseren-Wesserling
Massenbachhausen is a municipality in the district of Heilbronn in Baden-Württemberg in Germany.
Massenbachhausen lies in the west of the district of Heilbronn on the mass stream, a tributary of the flax flows, in turn, into the Neckar. It belongs to the fringe of the metropolitan region of Stuttgart.
Neighbor cities and communities are (clockwise from east): Schwaigern (district Massenbach), Gemmingen, Kirchardt, Bad Rappenau (all cities are district of Heilbronn) and Heilbronn (district city). With Schwaigern Massenbachhausen has entered into an Agreed administrative community.
The local primary school is called Lindenhofschule. In Massenbachhausen there are also two kindergartens, a catholic one (Katholischer Kindergarten) and a public one (Kindergarten Schmähling).Milton Becerra
Milton Becerra (born 1951) is a Venezuelan artist who pioneered land art in Venezuela in the 1970s.Never Say Die! Tour (Black Sabbath)
The Never Say Die! Tour was a concert tour by the English heavy metal band, Black Sabbath. The tour began on 16 May 1978 in Sheffield and ended on 11 December 1978 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It was the last full tour with Ozzy Osbourne until the band reunited for Ozzfest 1997.Philipp Adolf von Ehrenberg
Philipp Adolf von Ehrenberg (1583–1631) was the Prince-Bishop of Würzburg from 1622 to 1631.
Philipp Adolf von Ehrenberg was born in Heinsheim, which is today a district of Bad Rappenau, on September 23, 1583, the son of Johann Heinrich von Ehrenberg (d. 1584). His mother was the sister of Julius Echter von Mespelbrunn, who was the Prince-Bishop of Würzburg from 1573 to 1617 and led the massive witch-hunt of Wurzburg alongside his son.The cathedral chapter of Würzburg Cathedral elected him to be Prince-Bishop of Würzburg on February 6, 1623, with Pope Urban VIII confirming his appointment on March 19, 1624.As bishop, von Ehrenberg was a fierce supporter of the Counter-Reformation and supported re-Catholicization throughout his territories. He also oversaw the Würzburg witch trials, a massive witch-hunt in his bishopric from 1626 to 1630, during which time some 900 alleged witches were burned at the stake.He died on July 16, 1631.Sinsheim (Elsenz) Hauptbahnhof
Sinsheim (Elsenz) Hauptbahnhof — called Sinsheim (Elsenz) station until 2010 — is a station on the Neckargemünd–Bad Friedrichshall-Jagstfeld railway in the German state of Baden-Württemberg. The station falls within the area of the Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Neckar (Transport association of Rhine-Neckar) and is an important station in the Kraichgau. In the area of the city of Sinsheim, there are also stations (all called Haltepunkte in German, "halts") at Hoffenheim, Sinsheim Museum/Arena, Steinsfurt and Reihen.Terberg Group
Terberg Group B.V. is a specialised vehicle manufacturer in Benschop, Utrecht, Netherlands building special trucks and fitting specialist equipment to other manufacturer's trucks, cars and vans.
Customers operate terminals at ports, airports and logistic centres. Other specialised vehicles are supplied to the construction, mining and tunnelling industries. Terberg heavy-duty tractors and low-entry trucks are used by all sectors. Electric tractors are available.
Headquarters are in Benschop. Headquarters for Germany are in Hamburg with branches in Bochum and Bad Rappenau.
Terberg also makes waste collection systems and truck-mounted forklifts. In the Netherlands Terberg provides financial services including leasing and rental arrangements for passenger cars and commercial vehicles.
Subsidiaries operate in the Netherlands, United Kingdom, Germany, Belgium, France, Spain and Poland as well as Malaysia and the United Arab Emirates and, in America, in Brazil and the United States.
Terberg began as blacksmiths, built carriages and after the Second World War renovated war-surplus trucks. Terberg built its first truck in 1966 using components from a variety of manufacturers. Ultimately Terberg standardised with Volvo componentsVan Halen 1978 World Tour
The 1978 World Tour was the first concert tour by hard rock band Van Halen. The world tour, which was in support of their debut album, covered mainly North America with 124 shows in the United States and two shows in Canada, 39 shows in Europe, and nine shows in Japan. At 174 shows total over a 10-month period, the tour was one of the band's most extensive overall. Throughout the tour Van Halen was mostly a supporting act for bands such as Black Sabbath and Journey, however, Van Halen headlined shows in Europe and Japan.Water castle
A water castle is a castle or stately home whose site is entirely surrounded by water-filled moats (moated castles) or natural waterbodies such as island castles in a river or offshore.
Towns and municipalities in Heilbronn (district)