The Aylesbury Vale (or Vale of Aylesbury) is a large area of gently rolling agricultural landscape located in the northern half of Buckinghamshire, England. Its boundary is marked by the Borough of Milton Keynes and South Northamptonshire to the north, Central Bedfordshire and the Borough of Dacorum (Hertfordshire) to the east, the Chiltern Hills and Wycombe to south, and South Oxfordshire to the west.
The bed of the vale is largely made up of clay that was formed at the end of the ice age. Also at this time the vast underground reserves of water that make the water table in the Vale of Aylesbury higher than average, were created. In the 2011 UK census the population of Aylesbury Vale was 174,900. In the 2001 UK census the population of Aylesbury Vale was 165,748, representing an increase since 1991 of 18,600 people. About half of those live in the county town Aylesbury.
Aylesbury Vale District
Aylesbury Vale shown within Buckinghamshire
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Region||South East England|
|Incorporated||1 April 1974|
|• Type||Non-metropolitan district council|
|• Body||Aylesbury Vale District Council|
|• Leadership||Leader & Cabinet (Conservative)|
|• MPs||John Bercow (Speaker)|
David Lidington (Conservative)
|• Total||348.55 sq mi (902.75 km2)|
|Area rank||39th (of 317)|
|• Rank||94th (of 317)|
|• Density||560/sq mi (220/km2)|
|• Ethnicity||92.3% White|
1.0% Chinese or Other
|Time zone||UTC0 (GMT)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+1 (BST)|
|ONS code||11UB (ONS)|
|OS grid reference|
Aylesbury Vale is a local government district of northern Buckinghamshire, administered by a district council. The district was formed on 1 April 1974 by the merger of the boroughs of Aylesbury and Buckingham, Aylesbury Rural District, Buckingham Rural District, Wing Rural District and part of Winslow Rural District. The district offices are based in Aylesbury. The district council's logo includes the historical figure of John Hampden.
There are 111 civil parishes: 84 with a parish council, including three town councils (Aylesbury, Buckingham and Winslow), and a further 27 operating with a Parish meeting, see list of civil parishes in Aylesbury Vale.
Elections to the district council take place every 4 years, with 59 councillors being elected from 36 wards. Since winning a majority at the 2003 election the Conservative party has held control of the council. Following the latest election in 2015, and subsequent vacancies, by-elections and defections as of the 3rd May 2018, party strengths are as follows:
The district contains no motorway junctions, although the M40 does enter the district for five miles between junctions 8A and 9. Major roads include the A41, A413 and A418- which all meet at Aylesbury. The A421 passes through the north of the district providing connections to Milton Keynes, Bedford and the M1 to the east, and the M40 and Oxford and Birmingham to the west.
For its size, the district contains relatively few railway stations; most of its stations are in the very south of the district along the London to Aylesbury Line- the major station being Aylesbury. At Aylesbury there are connecting services to Princes Risborough station. In addition, the West Coast and Chiltern main lines both pass through the district, each having a station within the district.
The district has a number of historic buildings and landscapes which are popular tourist attractions. The National Trust owns several properties including Waddesdon Manor, Claydon House and the landscaped gardens at Stowe House. The Silverstone Circuit sits on the northern boundary of the district with South Northamptonshire, and the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre is located near Quainton.
The 1999 Aylesbury Vale District Council election took place on 6 May 1999 to elect members of Aylesbury Vale District Council in Buckinghamshire, England. The whole council was up for election and the Liberal Democrats lost overall control of the council to no overall control.2003 Aylesbury Vale District Council election
Elections to Aylesbury Vale District Council were held on 1 May 2003. The whole council was up for election with boundary changes since the last election in 1999 increasing the number of councillors by 1. The Conservative Party gained overall control of the council from no overall control.2007 Aylesbury Vale District Council election
Elections to Aylesbury Vale District Council were held on 3 May 2007. The whole council was up for election and the Conservative Party held overall control of the council.2011 Aylesbury Vale District Council election
The 2011 Aylesbury Vale District Council election took place on 5 May 2011 to elect members of Aylesbury Vale District Council in Buckinghamshire, England. The whole council was up for election and the Conservative party stayed in overall control of the council.2015 Aylesbury Vale District Council election
The 2015 Aylesbury Vale District Council election took place on 7 May 2015 to elect members of Aylesbury Vale District Council in Buckinghamshire, England. The whole council was up for election with boundary changes since the last election in 2011. The Conservative party remained in overall control of the council.Aylesbury Vale Academy
The Aylesbury Vale Academy, formerly Quarrendon School, was Buckinghamshire's first Academy. It is a Church of England Academy with the Anglican Diocese of Oxford as the primary sponsor and Buckinghamshire County Council as a co-sponsor.
The academy's catchment area comprises parts of north Aylesbury, including Quarrendon, Elmhurst and Watermead, as well as the villages of Hardwick, Weedon, Whitchurch, Oving and Pitchcott. It also includes both the Berryfields and Weedon Hill developments.Aylesbury Vale District Council elections
Aylesbury Vale District Council in Buckinghamshire, England is elected every four years. Since the last boundary changes in 2015, 59 councillors have been elected from 33 wards.Aylesbury Vale Dynamos F.C.
Aylesbury Vale Dynamos Football Club is a football club based in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England. They are currently members of the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division and play at Haywood Way.Aylesbury Vale Parkway railway station
Aylesbury Vale Parkway railway station is a railway station serving villages northwest of Aylesbury, England. It also serves the Berryfields and Weedon Hill housing developments north of the town. The station and all trains serving it are operated by Chiltern Railways.Foscott
Foscott (also called Foxcote and Foscote) is a hamlet and is also a civil parish within Aylesbury Vale district in Buckinghamshire, England. At the 2011 Census the population of the hamlet was included in the civil parish of Thornton. In the 20th century a reservoir was built within Foscote, named Foxcote Reservoir. It is just to the north of Maids Moreton.
The name was Anglo Saxon in origin, meaning "Fox cottage".Grade II* listed buildings in Buckinghamshire
The county of Buckinghamshire is divided into five districts. The districts of Buckinghamshire are South Bucks, Chiltern, Wycombe, Aylesbury Vale and Borough of Milton Keynes.
As there are 357 Grade II* listed buildings in the county they have been split into separate lists for each district.
Grade II* listed buildings in South Bucks
Grade II* listed buildings in Chiltern
Grade II* listed buildings in Wycombe
Grade II* listed buildings in Aylesbury Vale
Grade II* listed buildings in Borough of Milton KeynesHP postcode area
The HP postcode area, also known as the Hemel Hempstead postcode area, is a group of twenty-four postcode districts in England which are subdivisions of eleven post towns. These postcode districts cover north-west Hertfordshire and much of Buckinghamshire.
The main sorting office is in Hemel Hempstead (Maylands Avenue HP2) and the area served includes most of the Dacorum district of Hertfordshire and most of the Chiltern, Wycombe and Aylesbury Vale districts of Buckinghamshire, as well as a small part of the South Bucks district.Hardwick, Buckinghamshire
Hardwick is both a village and a civil parish within the Aylesbury Vale district in Buckinghamshire, England. It is in the Aylesbury Vale, about four miles north of Aylesbury.
Hardwick is a common place name in England, of Anglo Saxon origin meaning 'livestock farm'. In the Domesday Book of 1086 the village was known as Harduich.
Nearby Weedon is a hamlet in the parish of Hardwick.
The parish church is dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, and the churchyard contains a grave for the soldiers who died during the English Civil War at the Battle of Aylesbury in 1642.Hartwell, Buckinghamshire
Hartwell is a village and former civil parish, now in the parish of Stone with Bishopstone and Hartwell, in the Aylesbury Vale district, in central Buckinghamshire, England. It is to the south of Aylesbury, by the village of Stone. In 1961 the civil parish had a population of 100.The village name is Anglo Saxon in origin, and means "spring frequented by deer". In the Domesday Book of 1086 it was recorded as Herdewelle.The ruined Hartwell church was designed by the architect Henry Keene and completed in 1756. It is one of the most important early Gothic revival churches in England and is Grade II* listed. It has an octagonal centre with twin towers. In the north and south bays are rose windows, other windows are represented as ogee arches. In the clerestory are quatrefoil windows. Inside, the church once had a plaster fan vault but this has now fallen in, and the church's windows are boarded. Today the building appears more as a garden folly, than a former place of worship.
Attached to the estate is the former hamlet of Lower Hartwell.Hogshaw
Hogshaw is a civil parish within Aylesbury Vale district in Buckinghamshire, England. It comprises the two ancient villages of Hogshaw and Fulbrook, although they no longer have an individual identity. It is in the Aylesbury Vale, between East Claydon and Quainton.
The village name 'Hogshaw' is Anglo Saxon in origin, and means 'Hogg's brook' (where 'Hogg' is someone's personal name). In the Domesday Book of 1086 it was recorded as Hoggsceaga. The village name 'Fulbrook' is also Anglo Saxon, and means 'foul brook'. In the Domesday Book it was recorded as Fulebroc.
Anciently the parish was in the possession of the Knights Templar and, when that order was abolished, the Knights Hospitaller. It began as the Hogshaw Nunnery and then became the Hogshaw Commandery in the 15th century. However, in the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1547, the parish was seized by the Crown. It was after this time that the villages become depopulated. It was in 1720 that the church was officially depopulated for financial reasons, and the remaining villagers forced to worship at East Claydon. The church was demolished shortly after.
All that remains of the two villages today is seven houses.List of places in Buckinghamshire
:See the list of places in England for places in other counties.
This is a list of places in the ceremonial county of Buckinghamshire, England. It does not include places which were formerly in Buckinghamshire. For places which were in Buckinghamshire until 1974, and were then transferred to Berkshire, and other places transferred from Buckinghamshire since 1844, see list of Buckinghamshire boundary changes.Littleworth, Aylesbury Vale
Littleworth is a hamlet in the parish of Wing, in Buckinghamshire, England. It is situated between the main village and the hamlet of Burcott.
The hamlet name is of Anglo Saxon origin, and means 'small enclosure'.
Today the hamlet has all but disappeared with the growth of the village of Wing, and remains as a road name only. Littleworth is the road that leads from Wing through Burcott to Soulbury.Stone, Buckinghamshire
Stone is a village in Buckinghamshire, England. It is located southwest of the town of Aylesbury, on the A418 road that links Aylesbury to Thame. Stone with Bishopstone and Hartwell is a civil parish within Aylesbury Vale district and also incorporates the nearby settlements of Bishopstone and Hartwell.
The architect Clough Williams-Ellis designed the village hall in 1910.Weedon, Buckinghamshire
Weedon is a village and civil parish north of Aylesbury and south of Hardwick in the Aylesbury Vale district of Buckinghamshire, England. The toponym is derived from the Old English for "hill with a heathen temple". In records dated 1066 the village was recorded as Weodune.
Weedon has a Methodist Chapel and a pub called the Five Elms. To the east of the village is the hamlet of East End.
Portions of the village (and later parish) have been subject to human settlement since the early Bronze Age, with excavations in the early 2000s suggesting that a field system was in operation, and later Roman settlement has also been identified. Some Neolithic flint working has been recovered but there is no indication of anything more than low-level activity.Some historical sources note that Weedon (and Weedon Hill) are closely associated with the Battle of Aylesbury, although current opinion is divided as to the significance of that incident.
Aylesbury Vale District
areas and hamlets)
|Other civil parishes |
|Former districts |
|Boroughs or districts|
|Isle of Wight|