Awards and decorations of the United States government
Awards and decorations of the United States government are civilian awards of the U.S. federal government which are typically issued for sustained meritorious service, in a civilian capacity, while serving in the U.S. federal government. Certain U.S. government awards may also be issued to military personnel of the United States Armed Forces and be worn in conjunction with awards and decorations of the United States military. In order of precedence, those U.S. non-military awards and decorations authorized for wear are worn after U.S. military personal decorations and unit awards and before U.S. military campaign and service awards.
The following is a selection of civilian awards which are presently issued by the U.S. government.
Office of the President of the United States
Senior Executive Service
United States Congress
The National Intelligence Awards (NIA) Program is administered by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence for the United States Intelligence Community (IC).
- Significant contribution awards
- National Intelligence Public Service Awards
- Special eligibility awards
- Former award prior to establishment of the NIA Program
- CIA Awards
Department of Agriculture
Foreign Agricultural Service
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
Department of Commerce
National Institute of Standards and Technology
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Non-governmental organizations
- NOAA Association of Commissioned Officers (ACO) Awards
- Junior Officer of the Year=NOAA ACO Award Medal (without attachments)
- Science Award=NOAA ACO Award Medal (with bronze "S" device)
- Engineering Award=NOAA ACO Award Medal (with bronze "E" device)
- Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) Awards
- Society of American Military Engineers' Colbert Medal
- Society of American Military Engineers Karo Award
Campaign and service awards
Incentive awards (without medal or ribbon)
- NOAA Technology Transfer Award
- NOAA Distinguished Career Award
Coast and Geodetic Survey
Department of Defense
Department of Defense awards for civilian service
Office of the Secretary of Defense-level awards for civilian service
Office of the Secretary of Defense-level awards for private citizens
Joint Chiefs of Staff
DOD Office of the Inspector General (OIG)
Defense Investigative Service
Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency
Department of the Army
Department of the Army awards for civilian service
Department of the Army awards for public service
Department of the Air Force
Awards for non-governmental personnel
Military Sealift Command
Defense Commissary Agency
Defense Contract Audit Agency
Defense Information Systems Agency
Defense Intelligence Agency
Defense Logistics Agency
Defense Supply Agency
- Formerly the Defense Special Weapons Agency (DSWA) Awards
National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
Formerly known as the National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA), the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) awards the following medals to honor its DoD civilian employees for outstanding service:
National Reconnaissance Office
National Security Agency
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
Department of Education
Department of Energy
In June 2007, Secretary Samuel Bodman introduced a new awards program for non-monetary recognition of its employees and contractors.
- Secretary's Honor Awards
- Honor awards that are presented annually and replaces the previous Secretary's Gold, Silver and Bronze awards.
- The James R. Schlesinger Award – recipient receives a polished brass and mahogany clock along with a shadow box framed calligraphy certificate signed by the Secretary of Energy and a commemorative medal honoring former Secretary of Energy James R. Schlesinger.
- Secretary of Energy's Excellence Award – recipient receives a crystal medallion award and leather-encased certificate
- Secretary of Energy's Achievement Award – recipient receives a crystal statue award and leather-encased certificate
- Secretary's Appreciation Award
- Appreciation awards that are presented at any time
- Departure Awards
- Departure awards may be presented upon retirement or departure from the agency
- Secretary of Energy's Exceptional Service Award
- Secretary of Energy's Distinguished Service Award
- Secretary of Energy's Meritorious Service Award
Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health
Commissioned Corps of the United States Public Health Service
Other Public Health Service Association Ribbons
- PSA Presidential Sports Award (with Certificate, Medal and Emblem)
- PCA-P Presidential Champions Platinum Award (with Certificate, Medallion and Citation)
- PCA-G Presidential Champions Gold Award (with Certificate, Medal, Pin and Emblem)
- PCA-S Presidential Champions Silver Award (with Certificate, Medal, Pin and Emblem)
- PCA-B Presidential Champions Bronze Award (with Certificate, Medal, Pin and Emblem)
- PALA+ Presidential Active Lifestyle Award (with Certificate, Pin and Emblem)
- PYFA Presidential Youth Fitness Award (with Certificate, Medal and Emblem)
- Pr-PFA Presidential Physical Fitness Award (with Certificate and Emblem)
- N-PFA National Physical Fitness Award (with Certificate and Emblem)
- P-PFA Participant Physical Fitness Award (with Certificate and Emblem)
- HFA Health Fitness Award (with Certificate and Emblem)
Most of these awards are to be terminated 30 June 2018.
Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Federal Emergency Management Agency
U.S. Coast Guard
For authorized military awards, visit "Awards and decorations of the United States Coast Guard"
Civilian Service Awards
Public Service Awards
U.S. Secret Service
Transportation Security Administration
Department of the Interior
Heroic Act Honor Awards
Other Honor Awards
Department of Justice
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
Drug Enforcement Administration
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Federal Bureau of Prisons
Department of State
Arms Control and Disarmament Agency
Department of Transportation
Federal Aviation Administration
United States Merchant Marine
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Office of Thrift Supervision
American Battle Monuments Commission
Broadcasting Board of Governors
Environmental Protection Agency
General Services Administration
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)’s most prestigious honor awards are approved by the NASA administrator and presented to carefully selected individuals or groups of individuals, either government and non-government, who have distinguished themselves by making outstanding contributions to the agency’s mission.
Early NASA references to award criteria grouped many awards into equal positions in the order of precedence. Beginning in 1965, references to the order of precedence were dropped from regulations regarding specific awards. The current order of precedence for NASA medals is:
National Science Foundation (NSF)
Office of Personnel Management
Selective Service System
President's Council on Year 2000 Conversion
United States Agency for International Development
- ^ a b http://www.paemst.org/ PAEMST
- ^ http://www1.eere.energy.gov/femp/services/awards_presidential.html Presidential Awards for Leadership in Federal Energy Management
- ^ http://www.preserveamerica.gov/presidentialaward.html Preserve America Presidential Awards
- ^ a b http://www.epa.gov/peya/ President's Environmental Youth Awards
- ^ "The Award". Presidentialserviceawards.gov. Retrieved 2015-12-21.
- ^ "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on February 24, 2009. Retrieved 2014-08-29.
- ^ a b c "Intelligence Community Directive Number 655" (PDF). 9 February 2012. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- ^ CIA web page, Medals of the CIA Archived October 13, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- ^ http://beta.noaacorps.noaa.gov/cpc/procedures/corps_directives/chapter_12/ncd_ch12part7.pdf
- ^ http://www.corporateservices.noaa.gov/~ames/NAOs/Chap_202/naos202_451A.html#APPEND_E
- ^ "US Army Civilian Personnel Online". April 1, 2009. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- ^ "US Army Civilian Personnel Online". December 2, 2008. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- ^ McChrystal, Stanley A. "CJCSI 1100.01C Joint Staff Military and Civilian Awards Program" (PDF). Defense Technical Information Center. Retrieved 28 September 2013.
- ^ MER: Awards Index Department of the Army Honorary Awards for DA Employees
- ^ "US Army Civilian Personnel Online". December 2, 2008. Retrieved September 14, 2012.
- ^ http://humancapital.doe.gov/pers/SecretaryBodmanMemo.pdf DOE Secretary Awards Program
- ^ SuperTracker will be discontinued on June 30, 2018.
- ^ "The Secretary's Awards 2015". United States Department of Homeland Security. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- ^ "DHS Distinguished Public Service Medal". Department of Homeland Security. Retrieved 6 October 2016.
- ^ McCann, Mike (November 2008). "Agency Honor Awards". Archived from the original on July 16, 2009. Retrieved July 14, 2009.
- ^ Bender, James and Strandberg, John E. The Call Of Duty (expanded edition) January 1, 2005, p. 487.
- ^ "Agency Honor Awards". NASA Awards. NASA. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.