Adele was a steel screw steamer that was built in 1906 as a yacht. She was twice commissioned into the Royal Australian Navy (RAN), firstly as HMAS Franklin and later as HMAS Adele. She was wrecked at Port Kembla, New South Wales on 7 May 1943.
|Port of registry:|
|Builder:||Hawthorn & Co Leith, Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Launched:||18 October 1906|
|Fate:||Wrecked 7 May 1943|
|Type:||Steel screw steamer|
|Length:||145 ft 0 in (44.20 m)|
|Beam:||22 ft 4 in (6.81 m)|
|Draught:||13 ft 2 in (4.01 m)|
|Propulsion:||1 × 68 hp (51 kW) triple expansion steam engine (Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith)|
|Speed:||12 knots (22 km/h)|
|Armament:||2 × .303-in Vickers machine guns (HMAS Adele)|
By 1930, Adele was powered by a 68 horsepower (51 kW) triple expansion steam engine with cylinders of 12 inches (300 mm), 19 inches (480 mm) and 33 inches (840 mm) bore by 22 inches (560 mm) stroke. The engine was manufactured by Hawthorns & Co Ltd. Adele was capable of 12 knots (22 km/h).
On 14 September 1915 she was commissioned into the RAN as HMAS Franklin. HMAS Franklin served as a tender to the Royal Australian Naval College. She was paid off on 31 March 1921 only to be recommissioned on 21 September.
Franklin was decommissioned on 18 September 1922 and gifted to the Administrator of Papua-New Guinea, serving there until 1929. By 1930, she had reverted to the name Adele and was owned by the Commonwealth Government of Australia and operated by the Department of Home & Territories. At the time she was homeported at Port Adelaide under the British Flag. In 1932, Adele was laid up at Rabaul. She was sold for £1,652 on 7 December of that year to W L Buckland of Melbourne, Australia who refitted her as a private yacht and used her for cruising. Adele was later sold to C H Relph of Sydney and was laid up for some years at Rose Bay Port Jackson, Sydney.
On 24 October 1939, Adele was requisitioned by the Royal Australian Navy as HMAS Adele. She was armed with two .303-in Vickers machine guns and employed as an examination vessel. From December 1941, HMAS Adele was attached to HMAS Maitland.
Franklin is remembered in the naming of two other sail training yachts associated with the RAN College:
Port Kembla is a suburb of Wollongong 8 km south of the CBD and part of the Illawarra region of New South Wales. The suburb comprises a seaport, industrial complex (one of the largest in Australia), a small harbour foreshore nature reserve, and a small commercial sector. It is situated on the tip of Red Point, first European sighting by Captain James Cook in 1770. The name "Kembla" is Aboriginal word meaning "plenty [of] wild fowl".
Shipwrecks and scuttled vessels of New South Wales
1942 1943 1944
April 1943 June 1943