Attleboro is a city in Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States. It was once known as "The Jewelry Capital of the World" for its many jewelry manufacturers. According to the 2010 census, Attleboro had a population of 43,593 in 2010.
Historic Attleboro train station
The Jewelry City, A-Town
Go Big Blue
Location in Bristol County in Massachusetts
Location in Massachusetts
Attleboro (the United States)
Attleboro (North America)
|• Type||Mayor-council city|
|• Mayor||Paul Heroux (D)|
|• Total||27.8 sq mi (72.0 km2)|
|• Land||26.8 sq mi (69.4 km2)|
|• Water||1.0 sq mi (2.6 km2)|
|Elevation||138 ft (42 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,600/sq mi (610/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (Eastern)|
|Area code(s)||508 / 774|
|GNIS feature ID||0612033|
In 1634, English settlers first arrived in the territory that is now Attleboro. It was later incorporated from Rehoboth from the Pokanoket tribe. The deed that granted them the land was written by Native American Wamsutta. The land was divided in 1694 as the town of Attleborough. It included the towns of Cumberland, Rhode Island, until 1747 and North Attleborough, Massachusetts, until 1887. In 1697 in response to an unwanted amount of disturbances, mainly from nearby tribes of natives, the town had a meeting and ended up deciding that selectmen would keep tabs on strangers and foreigners as well as banning certain ones from entering the town. The town was reincorporated in 1914 as the City of Attleboro, with the "-ugh" removed from the name, although North Attleborough kept it. Like many towns in Massachusetts, it was named for a British town.
During the Native American insurgency in the colonial era, Nathaniel Woodcock, the son of an Attleborough resident, was murdered, and his head was placed on a pole in his father's front yard. His father's house is now a historical site. It is rumored that George Washington once passed through Attleborough and stayed near the Woodcock Garrison House at the Hatch Tavern, where he exchanged a shoe buckle with Israel Hatch, a revolutionary soldier and the new owner of the Garrison House.
The city became known for jewelry manufacturing in 1913, particularly because of the L.G. Balfour Company. That company has since moved out of the city, and the site of the former plant has been converted into a riverfront park. Attleboro was once known as "The Jewelry Capital of the World", and jewelry manufacturing firms continue to operate there. One such is the Guyot Brothers Company, which was started in 1904. General Findings, M.S. Company, James A. Murphy Co., Garlan Chain, Leach & Garner, and Masters of Design are jewelry manufacturing companies still in operation.
Attleboro is located at  Its borders form an irregular polygon that resembles a truncated triangle pointing west. It is bordered by North Attleborough to the north, Mansfield and Norton to the east, Rehoboth, Seekonk, and Pawtucket, Rhode Island, to the south, and Cumberland, Rhode Island, to the west, as well as sharing a short border with Central Falls, Rhode Island through the Blackstone River. It includes the areas known as City Center, Briggs Corner, West Attleboro, East Corner, East Attleboro, North Corner, Maple Square, Camp Hebron, Oak Hill, Dodgeville, East Junction, Hebronville, Park Square, and South Attleboro.(41.933, −71.3) and has a total area of 27.8 square miles (72.0 km2), of which 26.8 square miles (69.4 km2) is land and 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), or 3.59%, is water.
The Ten Mile River, fed by the Bungay River and by several brooks, runs through the center of Attleboro. The Manchester Pond Reservoir lies beside Interstate 95, and there are several small ponds in the city. There are over twenty conservation areas amounting to more than 600 acres of walkable woods</ref>:the Antony Lawrence Preserve, Coleman Reservation, Attleboro Springs as well as the Bungay River Conservation Area in the north of the city. The highest point in Attleboro is 249-foot (76 m) Oak Hill, located in the southern part of the city north of Oak Hill Avenue.
Attleboro sits on the border between the Massachusetts and Rhode Island regional dialects of New England English: the eastern part of the city is in the same dialect region as Boston, and the western part is in the same dialect region as Providence.
As of the 2010 census, there were 43,593 people, 16,884 households, and 11,212 families living in the city; the population density was 1,626.6 people per square mile (628.1/km²). There were 18,022 housing units at an average density of 672.5 per square mile (259.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 87.1% White, 3.0% African American, 0.2% Native American, 4.5% Asian (1.5% Cambodian,1.3% Indian, 0.4% Chinese, 0.4% Vietnamese) 0.1% Pacific Islander, 2.8% some other race, and 2.2% from two or more races. Hispanic and Latino people of any race made up 6.3% of the total (2.0% Puerto Rican, 1.7% Guatemalan, 0.5% Mexican, 0.4% Salvadoran, 0.3% Dominican, 0.2% Colombian). Most of the Hispanic and Asian populations were concentrated in the East Side.
Of the 16,884 households, 33.3% had someone under the age of 18 living with them, 50.1% were headed by married couples living together, 11.3% had a female householder with no husband present, 33.6% were non-families, 26.4% were individuals, and 9.8% were people aged 65 or older living alone. The average size of household was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.11.
The age distribution in the city was: 22.7% under 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 28.5% from 25 to 44, 28.0% from 45 to 64, and 12.9% over 64. The median age was 39.5 years. For every 100 females, there were 95.5 males. For every 100 females aged 18 and over, there were 93.3 males.
For the period 2009–2011, the estimated median annual income for a household in the city was $63,647, and the median income for a family was $71,091. Male full-time workers had a median income of $52,558, females $40,954. Per capita income was $30,039. About 4.2% of families and 6.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.4% of those under 18 and 7.8% of those aged 65 or over.
Attleboro's school department has five elementary schools (Hill-Roberts, Hyman Fine, A. Irvin Studley, Peter Thacher and Thomas Willett), three middle schools (Brennan, Coelho and Wamsutta), and two high schools (Attleboro High School, and Attleboro Community Academy). Attleboro High School has its own vocational division, and its football team (the "Blue Bombardiers") has a traditional rivalry with North Attleborough High School, whom they play for their Thanksgiving Day football game. Attleboro Community Academy is a night school for students aged 16-25 to obtain their highschool diplomas and could not function in traditional highschool. Bishop Feehan High School is a co-educational Roman Catholic high school which opened in 1961 and is named for Bishop Daniel Francis Feehan, second Bishop of the Diocese of Fall River. The city also has a satellite branch of Bristol Community College, which used to be housed in the city's former high school building but has since been relocated to an old Texas Instruments site. Bridgewater State University opened a satellite site in Attleboro in 2009, sharing space with Bristol Community College.
Attleboro has four museums: the Attleboro Arts Museum, the Attleboro Area Industrial Museum, the Women at Work Museum, and the Museum at the Mill. Other places of interest in the city include: Capron Park Zoo; L.G. Balfour Riverwalk, which was once the site of the L.G. Balfour jewelry plant, adjacent to the downtown business district; La Salette Shrine, which has a display of Christmas lights; Triboro Youth Theatre / Triboro Musical Theatre; Attleboro Community Theatre; and Dodgeville Mill.
In December 2011, the City of Attleboro was awarded $5.4 million in state and federal funding to support revitalization efforts within the city's Historic Downtown area. The city's "Downtown Redevelopment and Revitalization Project" is intended to transform underutilized industrial and commercial parcels into areas of mixed use that include commercial, recreational, and residential space. The project also includes transportation improvements to both MBTA rail and GATRA bus services along with enhanced road construction.
The city project was also selected for the state Brownfield Support Team (BST) Initiative, which encourages collaboration between state, local, and federal government to address complex issues to help pave the way for economic development opportunities in cities and towns across the state of Massachusetts. Contributing BST organizations include the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP), MassDevelopment, the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD), and the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT).
Congressman Jim McGovern highlighted the importance of this project in 2011 by saying, "This transformative funding presents a landmark opportunity for Attleboro to reshape its downtown and make a strong community even stronger. The new transit plan, when implemented, will make Attleboro a model for other small cities, and the aggressive reclaiming of contaminated sites will enhance economic development."
Attleboro is located beside Interstate 95 (which enters the state between Attleboro and Pawtucket, Rhode Island), I-295 (whose northern terminus is near the North Attleborough town line at I-95), US Route 1, and Routes 1A, 118, 123 and 152, the last three of which intersect at Attleboro center. The proposed Interstate 895 was to run through Attleboro and have a junction at the present day I-295/I-95 terminus. When driving from Rhode Island on I-295, the stub exits before the half-cloverleaf exit to I-95.
The city is home to two MBTA commuter rail stations: one in the downtown area and the other in the South Attleboro district, near the Rhode Island border. Attleboro and Taunton are both served by the Greater Attleboro Taunton Regional Transit Authority, or GATRA, which provides bus transit between the two cities and the surrounding regions.
Religions represented in Attleboro reflect the historic ethnic makeup of the community. The three Catholic churches — St. John, St. Theresa of the Little Flower, and St. Vincent de Paul — reflect the English and Irish, the former French (now Hispanic), and the Portuguese neighborhoods, respectively.
All Saints Episcopal Church (1890) on North Main Street provides a traditional Anglican presence, although the church is now very diverse. In 2007 it divided over the liberal policies of the US Episcopal Church, resulting in the establishment of All Saints Anglican Church in the Hebronville village of Attleboro. This church is affiliated with an Anglican diocese in Uganda.
Centenary United Methodist Church on North Main Street began on November 26, 1865, as a fellowship meeting in a building on Railroad Avenue. The first church building on the present site was dedicated in 1896 under the name of Davis Methodist Episcopal Church. The structure was destroyed by fire in 1883. The rebuilt church was named Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church in 1884, commemorating American Methodism's 100th anniversary. In 1998 Centenary and the Hebron Methodist were consolidated into one church.
Second Congregational Church (1748), near the town common, is typical of a New England town and is the founding church of what was then East Attleboro. It is a daughter church of the First Congregational Church in the Oldtown section of North Attleborough. Originally located in a meeting house on what is now the common, Second Congregational had a stately white clapboard building built in 1825. It was removed in the early 1950s to make way for the addition of a new Fellowship Hall and education rooms. The main red brick building and clock tower were built in 1904 beside the white church. In the early 1960s the interior of the sanctuary and the entrance were dramatically remodeled, resulting in a blend of high Victorian style and the open feel of mid-century modern. The church owns the Old Kirk Yard Cemetery to its rear, where many of the town's earliest families are buried. In its tower is the clock, owned originally by the city and now by the church. The Jack & Jill School has operated at the church for over 70 years. One of the city's elementary schools is named in honor of the church's first settled minister, the Reverend Peter Thacher.
Protestant denominations represented in Attleboro include Baptist (Grace Baptist on Oakhill Avenue, Word of Truth Baptist on Union Street, and First Baptist on South Main), Advent Christian (also on Pleasant), Fruit of the Spirit Mission Church (Leroy Street), and Assembly of God (the South Attleboro AOG on Newport Avenue). The Bethany Village Fellowship, formerly Bethany Congregational Church, (1886) is also on Newport Avenue. Christian & Missionary Alliance's (Faith Alliance Church on Pleasant Street), Murray Unitarian-Universalist Church (1875) is on North Main Street. Evangelical Covenant Church (1903) on North Main Street recently celebrated its 100th anniversary. It was once "the Swedish church", but includes many different ethnic groups today. Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses is located on Commonwealth Avenue. The Attleboro Seventh-day Adventist Church is located on Elmwood Avenue across from Capron Park.
There are also numerous non-denominational churches such as Good News Bible Chapel on West Street (1935), New Covenant Christian Fellowship on North Main Street, Candleberry Ministries on South Main Street, and a handful of ethnic congregations such as St. James Anglican Church (Kenyan) which was started through church planting.
In 1942, the Missionaries of La Salette purchased 135 acres and a castle in Attleboro for use as a seminary. The National Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette was opened to the public in 1953 with a Christmas manger display. The annual Christmas Festival of Lights has grown to an annual display of 300,000 lights and attracts about a quarter million visitors each year. A devastating fire destroyed the castle on November 5, 1999. A new welcome center was opened in 2007 which includes a 600-seat concert hall. In addition to the Christmas Festival, the shrine offers programs, concerts, workshops and events throughout the year. The grounds also include a chapel and church.
In late 2003, The Sun Chronicle reported that a state investigation had been launched into the deaths of four women in the city from glioblastoma. In 2007, the State of Massachusetts issued a report concluding that although the diagnosis rate for brain and central nervous system (CNS) cancers was higher than expected when compared to statewide data, the increase was determined not to be statistically significant.
Scorecard, Environmental Defense's online database of polluters, lists seven facilities contributing to cancer hazards in Attleboro, including Engineered Materials Solutions Inc., the worst offender in Massachusetts.
In 2002, the Massachusetts Public Health Department was asked to evaluate the former Shpack Landfill, on the border of Norton and Attleboro, for its cancer risks. The investigation continued at least through 2004. The informal landfill included uranium fuel rods, heavy metals, and volatile organic compounds.
Attleboro High School is a public high school located in Attleboro, Massachusetts. The school is located at 100 Rathbun Williard Drive. The school has an approximate student enrollment of 1,700 students in grades 9-12. The schools mascot is the Bombardiers and the school colors are Royal Blue, Silver, and White.Attleboro station (Massachusetts)
Attleboro is a commuter rail station on the MBTA's Providence/Stoughton Line located in Attleboro, Massachusetts. By a 2013 count, Attleboro had 1,665 daily riders, making it the sixth busiest station on the system.Attleboro has had railroad service to its downtown area continuously since 1835. The two-story northbound and southbound station buildings, now private businesses, were built during a grade crossing elimination project in 1906-1908 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. MBTA trains stop at platforms located slightly south of the historic buildings.
Attleboro is an important transfer station for the Greater Attleboro Taunton Regional Transit Authority, with six routes converging at the adjacent "Attleboro Intermodal Transportation Center".Bungay River
The Bungay River is a short river in southeastern Massachusetts that is a tributary of the Ten Mile River.
The Bungay River begins in Witch Pond in Foxborough, Massachusetts at an altitude of about 157 feet (48 m) above sea level. It flows south through Greenwood Lake and through North Attleboro and Attleboro. It enters the Ten Mile River in Attleboro and ultimately empties into Narragansett Bay. It is 7.2 miles (11.6 km) long.According to published judgments by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Environmental Affairs, the river flows through the best red maple swamp in Massachusetts and provides some of the best canoeing across the state. It and surrounding wetlands are under study as wildlife preservation areas.David Cobb (Massachusetts politician)
David Cobb (September 14, 1748 – April 17, 1830) was a Massachusetts physician, military officer, jurist, and politician who served as a U.S. Congressman for Massachusetts's at-large congressional seat.Emerald Square
Emerald Square is a shopping mall in North Attleboro, Massachusetts. It was developed by New England Development and The Pyramid Companies and opened in 1989; it is currently managed and partially owned by Simon Property Group.
As of 2019, the mall is anchored by department stores J. C. Penney, Macy's in two locations, and Sears. Previous anchors include department stores Filene's (briefly in two locations), G. Fox & Co., Lechmere, and Lord & Taylor.F. Jay Barrows
Fred Jay Barrows (born April 5, 1956 in Attleboro, Massachusetts) is the current member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives for the 1st Bristol district.Garrett Lucash
Garrett Lucash (born September 21, 1978 in Attleboro, Massachusetts) is an American pair skater. With partner Katie Orscher, he is the 2005 U.S. national champion and 2005 Four Continents bronze medalist.Howard Smith (actor)
Howard Irving Smith (August 12, 1893 in Attleboro, Massachusetts – January 10, 1968 in Hollywood, California) was an American character actor with a 50-year career in vaudeville, theatre, radio, films and television. In 1938 he performed in Orson Welles's short-lived stage production and once-lost film, Too Much Johnson, and in the celebrated radio production, "The War of the Worlds". He portrayed Charley in the original Broadway production of Death of a Salesman and recreated the role in the 1951 film version. On television Smith portrayed the gruff Harvey Griffin in the situation comedy, Hazel.Jim Hawkins (politician)
James K. Hawkins is an American politician from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. A member of the Democratic Party, Hawkins serves in the Massachusetts House of Representatives, representing the 2nd Bristol District since 2018, which includes all but one precinct of Attleboro.Lawrence O. Poncin United States Army Reserve Center
The Lawrence O. Poncin is a United States Army Reserve facility located in Attleboro, Massachusetts.Meagan Fuller
Meagan Elise Fuller (born September 25, 1992) is an American beauty pageant titleholder from Attleboro, Massachusetts, who was named Massachusetts' Junior Miss 2010 and crowned Miss Massachusetts 2015. She competed for the Miss America 2016 title in September 2015.North Attleborough, Massachusetts
North Attleborough, alternatively spelled North Attleboro, is a town in Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States. The population was 28,712 at the 2010 United States Census.
The village of North Attleborough Center is located in the town.SS Attleboro Victory
SS Attleboro Victory was a Victory ship built for the War Shipping Administration late in World War II under the Emergency Shipbuilding program. It saw service in the European Theater of Operations in the Atlantic Ocean during 1945, and in the immediate post-war period. Attleboro Victory was part of the series of Victory ships named after famous cities. This particular ship was named after the city of Attleboro, Massachusetts. It was a type VC2-S-AP2/WSAT cargo ship with the United States Maritime Commission (MCV) -"Victory"; hull number 642, shipyard number 1597 and built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation in Baltimore, Maryland. Phyllis O'Neil of Attleboro, Massachusetts christened Attleboro Victory with a champagne bottle.
Attleboro Victory was one of many new 10,500-ton class ships to be known as Victory ships, designed to replace the earlier Liberty Ships. Liberty ships were designed to be used solely for World War II, whereas Victory ships were designed to last longer and to serve the US Navy after the war. Victory ships differed from Liberty ships in that they were faster, longer, wider, taller, and had a thinner stack set farther toward the superstructure. In addition, they had a long raised forecastle.South Attleboro, Massachusetts
South Attleboro is a neighborhood of Attleboro, a city in Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States. It is perhaps best known for the South Attleboro station on the Attleboro/Stoughton Line of the MBTA Commuter Rail. U.S. 1 (the old Norfolk and Bristol Turnpike) and Route 1A (the old Lower Boston Post Road) pass through the area, which lies just north of the Rhode Island state line. The neighborhood is occasionally referenced in the animated series Family Guy, as being home of "Jack's Joke Shop." The real Jack's Joke Shop was located on 226 Tremont Street in Boston, MA, until it closed.
South Attleboro is home to 2 schools: Robert J Coelho Middle School and Hill Roberts Elementary School. Lees Pond Park, off of Route 1, attracts many locals for activities such as fishing, basketball, baseball, and swimming in one of the city pools. Route 1 hosts many businesses and fast food restaurants. Depending on the boundaries. South Attleboro has approximately 7-10 thousand people. Before the end of the industrial boom, most residents worked in the mills of Pawtucket and Central Falls, RI. In addition, the H&B factory on the state line employed over 1 thousand workers before shutting down in 1957. The factory was demolished in early 2016.
The South Attleboro Lions Club on Highland Avenue hosts the annual Lees Pond Festival.Tannery River
The Tannery River is a river in North Attleboro and Attleboro, Massachusetts. It is 4 miles (6 km) long and is a tributary of the Sevenmile River. There is one dam along its length.Ten Mile River (Seekonk River tributary)
The Ten Mile River is a river within the U.S. states of Massachusetts and Rhode Island. It flows approximately 22 miles (35 km) and drains a watershed of 54 square miles (140 km2).The North Attleborough National Fish Hatchery is located in its upper reaches, and the river offers stocked trout fishing in the spring.
The Ten Mile River was badly polluted in the mid 1900s but has subsequently been remediated. Although there are still issues with metals and sediments in the water, the river and nearly all its tributaries are now designated as Class B waters (fishable, swimmable).Thacher River
Thacher River is a river in Rehoboth and Attleboro, Massachusetts. It begins at an unnamed pond in Northern Rehoboth and flows north toward the center of Attleboro, before turning toward the west, where it empties into the Ten Mile River near Dodgeville. The river is 5.5 miles (8.9 km) long, and is the only river in the Ten Mile Watershed without a dam along its entire course.The Sun Chronicle
The Sun Chronicle (formerly The Attleboro Sun and the Evening Chronicle) is a daily newspaper in Attleboro, Massachusetts, United States. Most of its readers are in Attleboro and North Attleborough, Massachusetts, but it also covers nearby Foxborough, Mansfield, Norfolk, Norton, Plainville, Rehoboth, Seekonk, and Wrentham, Massachusetts.
The Sun Chronicle office also publishes the weekly Foxboro Reporter, weekly North Chronicle, weekly shopper Entertainment ADvisor, and the Silver City Bulletin in Taunton, Massachusetts.
In February 2005, The Sun Chronicle began publishing in the morning after decades as an afternoon newspaper.The Sun Chronicle head office is located at 34 South Main Street in Attleboro, Massachusetts.WARA (AM)
WARA (1320 AM) is a radio station in Attleboro, Massachusetts. Its transmitter is located in North Attleborough, Massachusetts. The station is owned by Attleboro Access Cable Systems.
Source: United States Census records and Population Estimates Program data.
Municipalities and communities of Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States