Aruchavank or the Cathedral of Aruch (Արուճավանք; also Surb Grigor) is situated on a rocky plateau at the western foot of Mount Aragats in the village of Aruch in the Aragatsotn Province of Armenia. According to wall inscriptions on the east wall and manuscripts written by historians Ghevond, Hovhannes Draskhanakerttsi, and Stepanos Asoghik, the church and adjoining building for residence (the palace) were commissioned by Prince Grigor Mamikonian and his wife Heghine/Heline between 661-682 AD. Architecturally it is one of the most important Armenian churches of the Middle Ages and also one of the largest.
The Church of Aruch with collapsed dome, 2008.
|Affiliation||Armenian Apostolic Church|
|Location||Aruch, Aragatsotn Province,|
|Type||Domed hall single-nave basilica|
Aruch became a citadel in the later Middle Ages. The ruins of the palace were excavated in 1947 and between 1950 and 1952. The remains of two structures of the palace complex of Prince Grigor Mamikonian were found on the south side of the church of St. Grigor.
There is some controversy as to the exact date of the completion of this church because of the reference in the inscription to the reign of the Byzantine Emperor Constantine III (641). According to Marr, Haroutyunyan, and Manutcheryan, it is believed that there is confusion with the emperor Constans II (641-668).
The church was restored during 1946-1948, except for the drum and cupola. The church had been extensively damaged by earthquakes and possibly by its use as a fortress in the 16th and 17th centuries (Oramanian, 1948).
Aruch (Armenian: Արուճ; until 1970, Talish), is a village in the Aragatsotn Province of Armenia. It is located on the southern part of Mount Aragats. The settlement dates back to the 6th century when it was the winter camp of the royal army. It was later made to a permanent base by Grigor Mamikonian (661-682). The village is the location of the 7th century Armenian monastic complex Aruchavank, adjacent to it are the remains of the Mamikonians' palace.Chapel of Chupan
The Chapel of Chupan is a small, historic Armenian church building in a mountain valley west of Jolfa near the Aras River in East Azerbaijan Province, Iran. It was built in the 16th century and rebuilt in 1836. It is part of Iran's "Armenian Monastic Ensemble" UNESCO World Heritage site listing.Church of Saint Toros
Church of Saint Toros is an Armenian Orthodox church in the Armenian Quarter of Jerusalem.
Church of St. Toros is located next to the St. James' Cathedral. More than 4,000 ancient manuscripts kept by Armenians remain at the church.Church of the Holy Archangels, Jerusalem
Church of the Holy Archangels (in Armenian (in Armenian Սրբոց Հրեշտակապետաց եկեղեցի, transliterated as Srbots Hreštakapetats yekeğetsi) also known as Deir Al-Zeitoun, is an Armenian church in the Armenian Quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem. Situated on the south east edge of the Armenian quarter, it was founded in the 12th century. According to tradition this site was the house of High Priest Annas. One of the altars, according to tradition, marking the place of the prison of Christ.Diocese of Aragatsotn
Diocese of Aragatsotn (Armenian: Արագածոտնի թեմ Aragatsotni t'em), is a diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church covering the Aragatsotn Province of Armenia. The name is derived from the historic Aragatsotn canton of Ayrarat province of Kingdom of Armenia.
The diocese was officially founded on May 30, 1996, by Catholicos Karekin I. The diocesan headquarters are located in the provincial capital Ashtarak, while the cathedral of the diocese is the Saint Mesrop Mashtots Church in the nearby village of Oshakan. Bishop Mkrtich Broshyan is currently the primate of the diocese, serving since 2009.Marmashen Monastery
Marmashen Monastery (Armenian: Մարմաշենի վանք) is a 10th-century Armenian monastic complex consisting of five churches near the village of Marmashen in the Shirak Province of Armenia. The buildings at Marmashen are very similar in style to those of Khtzkonk Monastery.Pemzashen Church
Pemzashen Church (Armenian: Պեմզաշեն Եկեղեցի) of the 7th century is located within the village of Pemzashen in the Shirak Province of Armenia just off of the main road through town. It sits adjacent to the foundations of a 5th-century basilica.Ptghnavank
Ptghnavank (Armenian: Պտղնավանք) or Ptghni Church (Armenian:Պտղնի Եկեղեցի) is located in the village of Ptghni in the Kotayk Province of Armenia.Saint Gregory the Illuminator Church, Tbilisi
Saint Gregory the Illuminator Church (Armenian: Սուրբ Գրիգոր Լուսավորիչ եկեղեցի; Russian: Церковь св. Григория Просветителя) is an Armenian church in Ketevan Tsamebuli Avenue (formerly Kakheti Street) in Tbilisi, Georgia. St. Gregory the Illuminator church was destroyed in 1937-38 by Lavrentiy Beria order along with 11 other Armenian churches in Tbilisi.Saint Sarkis Monastery of Gag
Saint Sarkis Monastery of Gag (Armenian: Գագա Սուրբ Սարգիս Վանք, Gaga Surp Sarkis Vank) is a ruined, medieval Armenian Apostolic monastery in the Qazakh Rayon of the Republic of Azerbaijan. It is located about 500 metres to the east of the present-day border of Armenia, and four kilometres west of the village of Dash Salakhly. The monastery is built at the top of Gag Mountain, at an altitude of 922 metres above sea level and 420 metres from the foot of the mountain.Sourp Asdvadzadzin (Sarnaq)
Sourp Asdvadzadzin ("Holy Mother of God", Armenian: Սուրբ Աստվածածին) is an Armenian Apostolic stone masonry church in Sarnaq, Iran. The church was built in 1625. The church was built 6.5 metres high, with six columns. It spans 15x10 metres. The building material was 'yellow stones' and basalt. The church was renovated in the 19th century. There are a number of tombstones around the church, possibly belonging to members of a wealthy family that financed its renovation.The church was damaged in the 1930 Salmas earthquake, its western wall, wooden roof and three out of four central pillars fell down. As of 2013, only the northern wall remains intact. The southern wall of the church has completely fallen down.St. Georg Church
The St. Georg church or Gharib church is a historic church in Isfahan, Iran. It is the second oldest church in the Julfa quarter, after the Hakoup church, which is located inside the St. Mary church. The interior of the St. Georg church is very plain and there is only one old painting in the apse, but the church gains its importance from its annex structure, which contains 13 stones that Armenians brought with them from Etchmiadzin Cathedral when they migrated from Armenia to Isfahan. Because of these stones, the St. Georg church is one of the holy places for Armenians in Julfa. At the entrance of the church is a mosaic from Sultan Husayn's era depicting Jesus, Mary, and the three Magi bearing gifts.St. George Church, Haftvan
The Church of Saint George (Armenian: Սուրբ Գեւորգ Եկեղեցի) is a 13th-century Armenian Apostolic church in Haftvan, Salmas County, West Azerbaijan Province, Iran. It was renovated in 1652 and also after 1930 Salmas earthquake. There is a half-ruined auditorium nearby which was built in early 20th century.St. Mary Church, Isfahan
The St. Mary church is a historical Armenian church in Isfahan, Iran, completed in 1613.St. Thaddeus Church, Ddmashen
St. Thaddeus the Apostle Church of Ddmashen (Armenian: Դդմաշենի Սուրբ Թադևոս եկեղեցի; also S. Tadevos the Apostle Church) is a 7th-century Armenian church located within the village of Ddmashen in the Gegharkunik Province of Armenia. Named after Saint Thaddeus the Apostle, the church is considered by some to be the fourth most important example of its style of architecture after the Cathedral of Talin, Ptghavank, and Aruchavank. Following structural damage caused by an earthquake, the drum was replaced in 1907 by a sixteen-sided one in an architectural style that was different to that of the original. Aside from the aforementioned alteration, there have not been any other major changes to the church. A large cemetery is situated south of the church, consisting mostly of unmarked grave stones.Surp Hovhannes Church of Voskevaz
Surp Hovhannes (Armenian: Սուրբ ՅովհաննԷս Եկեղեցի; meaning Saint John) or Voskevaz Church (Armenian: Ոսկեվազ եկեղեցի) is a 7th- to 12th-century basilica located in the village of Voskevaz in the Aragatsotn Province of Armenia.Targmanchats monastery, Aygeshat
Targmanchats Vank (Armenian: Թարգմանչաց վանք; meaning "Translators Monastery") of the 6th to 7th century is located within the village of Aygeshat in the Armavir Province of Armenia just off the main road through town. The site is gated and one must inquire about accessing the church.Tatevi Anapat
Great Hermitage of Tatev or Tatevi Mets Anapat (Armenian: Տաթևի Մեծ Անապատ) is a 17th-century Armenian monastery located in the Vorotan River valley in the Syunik Province of Armenia. The National Competitiveness Foundation of Armenia is going to create a tourism zone in the Tatev area to draw visitors to its amazing churches and scenery. The Tatevi Anapat is going to be one of the main sights.Varzahan Monastery
Varzahan (Armenian: Վարզահան վանք, Turkish: Uğrak Kiliseleri or Varzahan Kiliseleri), was an Armenian church founded in the 12th century near village Uğrak (formerly Varzahan), 10 km northwest of Bayburt, in eastern Turkey.
Ancient, medieval, and historical Armenian churches and monasteries
|Jerusalem, Palestine & Israel|