Arthur Albiston

Arthur Richard Albiston (born 14 July 1957 in Edinburgh) is a Scottish former football player. Albiston played for Manchester United for most of his career, making almost 500 appearances for the club. He also made 14 international appearances for Scotland and was selected for their 1986 FIFA World Cup squad.

Arthur Albiston
Albiston, Arthur
Albiston in 2013
Personal information
Full name Arthur Richard Albiston[1]
Date of birth 14 July 1957 (age 61)
Place of birth Edinburgh, Scotland
Playing position Left-back
Youth career
1972–1974 Manchester United
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
1974–1988 Manchester United 379 (6)
1988–1989 West Bromwich Albion 43 (2)
1989–1990 Dundee 10 (0)
1990–1991 Chesterfield 3 (1)
1991–1993 Chester City 68 (0)
1992Molde (loan) 15 (3)
1993 Molde 9 (0)
1993–1994 Ayr United 1 (0)
1994 Sittingbourne 0 (0)
1994 Witton Albion
1994 Droylsden
Total 528 (12)
National team
1976–1977 Scotland U21[2] 5 (0)
1982–1986 Scotland 14 (0)
Teams managed
1996–1997 Droylsden
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only


Albiston joined Manchester United as an apprentice in July 1972, turning professional in July 1974.[3] He made his debut in a League Cup Third Round match against local rivals Manchester City in 1974. He made 485 appearances in 14 years, playing at left back, and scored six goals. He helped the club win the FA Cup in 1977, 1983 and 1985.

Albiston left Manchester United in August 1988 for West Bromwich Albion, managed by ex-Red Devils boss Ron Atkinson, on a free transfer. By the time of his departure from Old Trafford he was the longest-serving player at the squad and the only player remaining from the Tommy Docherty era.

He made his Albion debut in a league match away at Leicester City early in the 1988–89 season, and went on to make 47 appearances and score two goals that season, after which he returned to his homeland to sign for Dundee, and went on to play for Chesterfield, Chester City, Molde in Norway and Ayr United. He retired from senior football in 1994.

In his professional career, he made 464 appearances and scored seven goals. He also later joined non-League sides Sittingbourne, Witton Albion and Droylsden.

Albiston also earned 14 caps for Scotland, making his debut on 28 April 1982 against Northern Ireland. His total includes one game at the 1986 FIFA World Cup, a 0–0 draw against Uruguay on 13 June 1986.

Following his retirement from playing, Albiston managed Droylsden (1996–97), was a junior coach at Manchester United (2000–04) and has also worked as a radio summariser for Manchester Independent.[3] He currently works for MUTV, Manchester United's official television channel, acting as match summariser during live coverage of the club's reserve and academy teams.


As a player

Manchester United


  1. ^ "Arthur Albiston". Barry Hugman's Footballers. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
  2. ^ "Arthur Albiston". Retrieved 11 October 2012.
  3. ^ a b Matthews, Tony (2005). The Who's Who of West Bromwich Albion. Breedon Books. p. 13. ISBN 1-85983-474-4.

External links

1977 FA Charity Shield

The 1977 FA Charity Shield was the 55th FA Charity Shield, an annual football match played between the winners of the previous season's First Division and FA Cup competitions. The match was played on 13 August 1977 at Wembley Stadium and contested by Liverpool, who had won the 1976–77 First Division, and Manchester United, who had won the 1976–77 FA Cup. The teams played out a goalless draw and shared the Charity Shield.

1977 FA Cup Final

The 1977 FA Cup Final was the final match of the 1976–77 FA Cup, the 96th season of England's premier cup football competition. The match was played on 21 May 1977 at Wembley Stadium, London, and it was contested by Manchester United and Liverpool. United won the game 2–1. All three goals came in a five-minute period early in the second half. Stuart Pearson opened the scoring when he latched onto a long ball forward and drove a hard shot past Ray Clemence. Liverpool equalised through Jimmy Case soon after, as he turned and hooked a right foot half-volley into the top corner, giving Stepney no chance. However, just three minutes later, United regained the lead when Lou Macari's shot deflected off teammate Jimmy Greenhoff's chest and looped into the net past Clemence and Phil Neal on the line.

Having already won the league title (which meant Manchester United qualified for the 1977–78 European Cup Winners' Cup regardless of win or loss) and then going on to win the European Cup four days later, United's victory prevented Liverpool from becoming the first club to win the Treble (First Division, FA Cup and European Cup) – Manchester United achieved this feat 22 years later.

1978–79 Manchester United F.C. season

The 1978–79 season was Manchester United's 77th season in the Football League, and their fourth consecutive season in the top division of English football. They finished the season ninth in the league and also reached the FA Cup Final where they lost 2–3 to Arsenal at Wembley.

1979 FA Cup Final

The 1979 FA Cup Final was a football match played on 12 May 1979 at Wembley Stadium. The match was contested by Arsenal and Manchester United. It is regarded as one of the greatest-ever finishes in an FA Cup final. For over 85 minutes the game had been unremarkable, with Arsenal taking a 2–0 half time lead through goals from Brian Talbot and Frank Stapleton. In the 86th minute, however, Gordon McQueen scored following a set-piece, and two minutes later Sammy McIlroy dribbled past two Arsenal players to score a dramatic equaliser. With the game poised for extra time, United's celebrations proved short-lived, as Alan Sunderland scored a last-minute winner, making the final result Arsenal 3–2 Manchester United. This match is often referred to as the "Five-minute Final".

The 1979 FA Cup was the only major trophy that Arsenal won during the seven-year management of Terry Neill, who was appointed in 1976 after Bertie Mee's retirement. He was dismissed in 1983.

It was also the only cup final that Manchester United reached under the management of Dave Sexton, who had been appointed as manager in 1977 and remained there until 1981 when he was sacked having failed to bring a major trophy to the club.

1983 FA Charity Shield

The 1983 FA Charity Shield was the 61st FA Charity Shield, an annual football match played between the winners of the previous season's First Division and FA Cup competitions. The match was played on 20 August 1983 at Wembley Stadium and contested by Liverpool, who had won the 1982–83 First Division, and Manchester United, who had won the 1982–83 FA Cup. Manchester United won 2–0 with a brace from captain Bryan Robson. It was Liverpool's first competitive game under the management of Joe Fagan, who had been promoted from the coaching staff to replace the retiring Bob Paisley.

1983 FA Cup Final

The 1983 FA Cup Final was contested by Manchester United and Brighton & Hove Albion at Wembley Stadium.

Manchester United were the favourites, as Brighton had been relegated from the First Division that season, and had never reached a cup final before. United had finished third in the league that season and already had four FA Cup victories to their name.

The final ended in a 2–2 draw, forcing a replay at Wembley five days later, which Manchester United won 4–0.

1983 Football League Cup Final

The 1983 Football League Cup Final was a football match held on 26 March 1983 between League Cup holders Liverpool and first-time finalists Manchester United, who won the FA Cup later that year. Liverpool won the match 2–1; Norman Whiteside scored the opener for Manchester United, before Alan Kennedy equalised with 15 minutes to go. The winner was scored in the eighth minute of extra-time by Ronnie Whelan.

Had Manchester United won the League Cup as well as the FA Cup that year, they would have become the first team ever to have won the two competitions in the same season. Instead, Liverpool won their third successive League Cup, and the second of three successive League and League Cup Doubles.

The match was played at Wembley Stadium in front of approximately 100,000 spectators.

Liverpool manager Bob Paisley collected the trophy, as it was his last major final in charge of Liverpool.

1985 FA Charity Shield

The 1985 FA Charity Shield (also known as the General Motors FA Charity Shield for sponsorship reasons) was the 63rd FA Charity Shield, an annual football match played between the winners of the previous season's First Division and FA Cup competitions. The match was played on 10 August 1985 at Wembley Stadium and contested by Everton, who had won the 1984–85 First Division, and Manchester United, who had won the 1984–85 FA Cup. Everton won 2–0 with goals from Trevor Steven and Adrian Heath. Trevor Steven put Everton into the lead when he swept home from six yards after a cross from the left in the first half. The second goal came in the second half when Manchester United goalkeeper Gary Bailey dropped a cross from the left to allow Adrian Heath to tip the ball past him into the left corner of the net.

The Charity Shield was the first competitive game that new striker Gary Lineker played for Everton, and although he failed to get on the scoresheet in the game he made up for it by scoring 40 goals in all competitions that season. He took the place in the team previously occupied by Andy Gray. Kevin Moran of Manchester United had been sent off in the final and he was suspended for this game, with his place in the side being taken by understudy Graeme Hogg, and Gordon Strachan was replaced by Mike Duxbury. These were the only differences between the first XI of this game and the FA Cup final earlier in May 1985.

1985 FA Cup Final

The 1985 FA Cup Final was the 104th final of the FA Cup. It took place on 18 May 1985 at Wembley Stadium, and was contested by Manchester United and holders Everton. United won by a single goal, scored in extra time by Norman Whiteside, when he curled the ball into the net past the reach of Neville Southall after a run from the right.

1986 Rous Cup

The 1986 Rous Cup was the second staging of the Rous Cup international football competition, centred on the then-traditional annual game between rivals England and Scotland.

The cup was won by England, who defeated the previous year's winners Scotland 2–1. This was the final time in which the cup would only be contested by the two nations; from 1987 onward, a third team was also invited to participate.

1992 Molde FK season

The 1992 season was Molde's 18th season in the top flight of Norwegian football. This season Molde competed in Tippeligaen and the Norwegian Cup.

In Tippeligaen, Molde finished in 6th position, 10 points behind winners Rosenborg.Molde participated in the 1992 Norwegian Cup. They reached the third round where they were knocked out by third tier side Melhus after losing 1–2 at home ground.

1993 Molde FK season

The 1993 season was Molde's 19th season in the top flight of Norwegian football. This season Molde competed in Tippeligaen and the Norwegian Cup.

In Tippeligaen, Molde finished in 10th position and had to play relegation play-offs against second tier teams Strømsgodset and Bryne. Molde finished the play-offs in second place and were relegated to 1. divisjon after having lost 0–2 at home against Strømsgodset and drew 2–2 away against Bryne.Molde participated in the 1993 Norwegian Cup. They reached the quarter-finals where they were knocked out after losing 0–2 away to Brann.


Albiston is a surname. Notable people with the surname include:

Alec Albiston (1917–1998), Australian rules footballer

Arthur Albiston (born 1957), Scottish footballer

David Albiston (born 1944), Australian rules footballer

Harold Albiston (1916–1990), Australian rules footballer

Jordie Albiston (born 1961), Australian poet and academic

Ken Albiston (1926–2018), Australian rules footballer

Mark Albiston (born 1972), New Zealand film and television director

Wendy Albiston (born 1969), Welsh actress

Forrester High School

Forrester High School is a secondary school in the west of Edinburgh, Scotland.

St Augustine's High School, an RC secondary, moved onto a shared campus with Forrester High School in January 2010. Previously the schools had been next to each other.

MUTV (Manchester United F.C.)

MUTV (Manchester United Television) is a premium television channel owned and operated by English football club Manchester United. The channel first broadcast on 10 September 1998.MUTV offers Manchester United fans exclusive interviews with players and staff, full matches, including all Premier League games (broadcast generally at midnight of the day the match was played), live reserve and academy games and "classic" matches plus footballing news and other themed programming. The station also broadcasts live for all of the team's pre-season friendly matches (including International Champions Cup).When it was formed, the channel existed as a three-way joint venture between Manchester United, ITV plc and BSkyB. On 16 November 2007, ITV plc sold its 33.3% stake in MUTV to Manchester United. BSkyB followed suit on 22 January 2013, making MUTV 100% owned by Manchester United.MUTV launched in high definition (HD) in July 2014 on the Sky platform in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

Manchester Sports

Manchester Sports is a radio programme broadcast on BBC Radio Manchester whenever a major sport event involving a local team takes place. They are branded as the largest sports programme in the North West. The most common of these programmes is broadcast on a Saturday afternoon during the football season, usually starting at 2 o'clock and finishing at 6 o'clock with a live commentary game of one of the 3 o'clock games.

Margaret Sutherland

Margaret Ada Sutherland AO OBE (20 November 1897 – 12 August 1984) was an Australian composer, among the best-known female musicians her country has produced.

Mick Miller (comedian)

Mick Miller (born 25 February 1950 in Liverpool, Merseyside, England) is a British stand-up comedian who has had a long career on the live comedy circuit, and is instantly recognisable from his trademark bald head with long hair down the sides.

Mike Duxbury

Michael Duxbury (born 1 September 1959) is a former footballer who won 10 caps for England. At club level, he played in the Football League for Manchester United, Blackburn Rovers and Bradford City, and in the Hong Kong First Division League for Golden.

Born in Accrington, Lancashire, Duxbury began his career as a right back with Everton, but he signed for Manchester United as a schoolboy in 1975. He signed trainee forms in July 1976, and then went professional three months later. Duxbury made his Manchester United debut on 23 August 1980, coming on as a substitute for Kevin Moran against Birmingham City. Duxbury became a semi-regular in the first team over the next couple of seasons, although – due to the form of first-choice full backs John Gidman and Arthur Albiston – he spent most of his time playing at centre back; it was not until towards the end of the 1981–82 season that Duxbury began to play in his favoured right back position. The following season, he won his first FA Cup medal with Manchester United, playing in both matches of the 1983 final against Brighton & Hove Albion. Another FA Cup medal followed in 1985, after Duxbury came on as a substitute for Arthur Albiston. He continued at Manchester United for another five years, but he found his first-team opportunities increasingly limited as he began to play more reserve matches. After being left out of the side for the 1990 FA Cup Final against Crystal Palace, Duxbury left United for Blackburn Rovers for free at the end of the season.

He later played for Bradford City and for Golden FC in Hong Kong before retiring in 1994. Duxbury was capped 10 times by England, making his debut in November 1983 and earning his last cap in October 1984. While in Hong Kong, he played for his club's Select XI against England in their warm-up games for Euro 1996.Since his retirement from playing, Duxbury moved into the coaching side of the game. He worked with the Manchester United Soccer Schools programme in Hong Kong and Dubai, and coached football and taught physical education in the junior department of independent school Bolton School.


This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.