The Armor Branch of the United States Army is an active combat arms branch.
Armor branch insignia, featuring crossed sabers with an M26 Pershing tank superimposed on top
|Active||Created 10 July 1940|
|Branch||United States Army|
|Home station||Fort Benning, Georgia|
|Patron||St. George is the patron saint of the U.S. Army's Armor Branch.|
|Motto(s)||The Combat Arm of Decision|
Even though the armor branch traces its lineage back to the original cavalry units, its first beginnings date from the First World War. The Tank Service of the National Army was formed on 5 March 1918. and disbanded after the war in 1920. The Armored Force was formed on 10 July 1940 and became a permanent branch of the Army in 1950. The United States Army Armor School is now located at Fort Benning.
ARMOR is the professional journal of the U.S. Army’s Armor Branch, published by the Chief of Armor at Fort Benning, GA., training center for the Army’s tank and cavalry forces. It is also one of the oldest publications in the U.S., founded in 1888 by cavalry officers on the American frontier as a forum for discussing doctrine, tactics, and equipment among soldiers geographically separated by the great distances of the American West.