archive.is (formerly archive.today) is an archive site which stores snapshots of web pages. It retrieves one page at a time similar to WebCite, smaller than 50 MB each, but with Web 2.0 sites (such as Google Maps and Twitter) included.
Archive.is uses headless browsing to record what embedded resources need to be captured to provide a high-quality memento, and creates a PNG image to provide a static and non-interactive visualization of the representation.
Unlike crawlers such as Wayback Machine, archive.is only captures individual pages in response to explicit user requests, and so does not obey the robots exclusion standard. Because of this, website owners cannot unilaterally remove snapshots at will, making it a "permanent" archive.
Since July 2013, archive.is supports the Memento Project application programming interface (API).
Archive.is has been blocked in China since December 2013, although its other domains remain unblocked.
On July 21, 2015, the operators blocked access to the service from all Finnish IP addresses, stating on Twitter that they did this in order to avoid escalating a dispute they allegedly had with the Finnish government.
In Russia, only HTTP access is possible; HTTPS connections are blocked.
since the spring of 2018.
Russian Hostkey is the primary host, distributed by Cloudflare.
- ^ "Archive.is Site Info". Site Info. Alexa Internet. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- ^ Martin Brinkmann (22 Apr 2015). "Create publicly available web page archives with Archive.is". Ghacks. Retrieved 13 Jun 2015.
- ^ Dascalescu, Dan (18 February 2013). "Web page archiving – Dan Dascalescu's Wiki (review)". Wiki.dandascalescu.com. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- ^ Koebler, Jason (29 October 2014). "Dear GamerGate: Please Stop Stealing Our Shit". Motherboard.
- ^ Nelson, Michael L. (9 July 2013). "Archive.is Supports Memento". Research and Teaching Updates. Web Science and Digital Libraries Research Group at Old Dominion University. Archived from the original on 27 July 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- ^ "archive.is" Memento Protocol Information. Memento Development Group. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- ^ "archive.is is 100% blocked in China". Greatfire Analyzer. Retrieved 18 July 2017.
- ^ "https://archive.fo in China | GreatFire Analyzer". En.greatfire.org. Retrieved 2018-02-28.
- ^ Lapintie, Lassi (22 July 2015). "Suomalaisilta estettiin haktivistien suosimalla verkkosivulla käynti" [Finns' access to website used by hacktivists blocked]. Iltalehti (in Finnish). Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- ^ "Роскомнадзор заблокировал сервис archive..., хранящий копии веб-сайтов". 2016-01-29. Retrieved 2016-01-30.
- ^ "Russia Blocks Another Archive Site Because It Might Contain Old Pages About Drugs". Techdirt.
- ^ "Netcraft - Search Web by Domain". Netcraft Services. Netcraft Ltd. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- ^ "Archive.is server and hosting history". EasyCounter. Retrieved 23 January 2017.
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.