He was born in Vienna as the son of Archduke Charles, Duke of Teschen (1771–1847) and Princess Henrietta of Nassau-Weilburg (1797–1829). He was a grandson of Leopold II (1747–1792) and nephew of Franz II (1768–1835), the last two Holy Roman Emperors.
He held the office of Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights from 1863 until his death in 1894. He gained the rank of Feldzeugmeister in the service of the Austrian Army in January 1867, after commanding the artillery and being wounded at the Battle of Königgrätz (1866). He was Governor of the Federal Fortress of Mainz.
Archduke Wilhelm of Austria died unmarried and without issue on 29 July 1894 in Weikersdorf after falling from a horse. He had been riding in Baden when his horse was frightened by a motor car. The horse bolted, and the Archduke was thrown. One of his feet remained stuck in the stirrup, and he was dragged more than 100 yards. He died without regaining consciousness. His death was attributed to a concussion on the brain. The archduke was 67 years old.
|Archduke Wilhelm Franz|
|Born||21 April 1827|
|Died||29 April 1894 (aged 67)|
|Father||Archduke Charles, Duke of Teschen|
|Mother||Princess Henrietta of Nassau-Weilburg|
|Grand Master of the Teutonic Order|
Archduke Maximilian of Austria-Este
Archduke Eugen of Austria
Archduke Eugen Ferdinand Pius Bernhard Felix Maria of Austria-Teschen (21 May 1863 – 30 December 1954) was an Archduke of Austria and a Prince of Hungary and Bohemia. He was the last Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights from the Habsburg dynasty.Archduke Wilhelm of Austria
Archduke Wilhelm Franz of Austria, later Wilhelm Franz von Habsburg-Lothringen (10 February 1895 – 18 August 1948), also known as Basil the Embroidered (Ukrainian: Василь Вишиваний, romanized: Vasyl Vyshyvani), was an Austrian archduke, a colonel of the Ukrainian Sich Riflemen, and a poet.Deutschmeister-Palais
The Deutschmeister-Palais or Palais Erzherzog Wilhelm is a building in Vienna located at Parkring 8.
It was designed in the years 1864–1868 by the Danish-Austrian architect Theophil von Hansen (1813–1891) as a residence for Archduke Wilhelm Franz of Austria (1827–1894), who at that time was Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights (Deutschmeister). The building face includes statues by the Austrian sculptor Joseph Gasser von Valhorn.
From 1938 to 1945 it was the seat of the Viennese SS headquarters, then from 1945 to 1974 it served as the Federal Police Department in Vienna. Today it holds the offices of the OPEC Fund for International Development.Grand Master of the Teutonic Order
The Grand Master (German: Hochmeister; Latin: Magister generalis) is the holder of the supreme office of the Teutonic Order. It is equivalent to the grand master of other military orders and the superior general in non-military Roman Catholic religious orders. Hochmeister, literally "high master", is only used in reference to the Teutonic Order, as Großmeister ("grand master") is used in German to refer to the leaders of other orders of knighthood.
An early version of the full title in Latin was Magister Hospitalis Sanctae Mariae Alemannorum Hierosolymitani. Since 1216, the full title Magister Hospitalis Domus Sanctae Mariae Teutonicorum Hierosolymitani ("Master of the Hospital House of the Blessed Virgin Mary of the Germans of Jerusalem") was used.
The offices of Hochmeister and Deutschmeister (Magister Germaniae) were united in 1525. The title of Magister Germaniae had been introduced in 1219 as the head of the bailiwicks in the Holy Roman Empire, from 1381 also those in Italy, raised to the rank of a prince of the Holy Roman Empire in 1494, but merged with the office of grand master under Walter von Cronberg in 1525, from which time the head of the order had the title of Hoch- und Deutschmeister.List of Knights of the Golden Fleece
This page contains a list of Knights of the Order of the Golden Fleece.
|Ancestors of Archduke Wilhelm Franz of Austria|