The church in Apremont-la-Forêt
Coat of arms
Location of Apremont
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||René Huret|
|32.89 km2 (12.70 sq mi)|
|• Density||12/km2 (32/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||231–383 m (758–1,257 ft)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The arrondissement of Commercy is an arrondissement of France in the Meuse department in the Grand Est region. It has 135 communes.Aspremont
Aspremont is the name of 2 communes in France:
Aspremont, Alpes-Maritimes, in the Alpes-Maritimes department
Aspremont, Hautes-Alpes, in the Hautes-Alpes departmentAvioth
Avioth is a commune in the Meuse department in the Grand Est region in northeastern France.Beauclair
Beauclair is a commune in the Meuse department in the Grand Est region in northeastern France.Belle Skinner
Ruth Isabelle Skinner (April 30, 1866–April 09, 1928) was an American businesswoman and philanthropist.
She was a daughter of silk manufacturer William Skinner (1824-1902) and his second wife, the former Sarah Elizabeth Allen (1834-1908). Belle Skinner was a humanitarian and music-lover whose life her brother William memorialized in the construction of the Skinner Hall of Music at Vassar College in 1932. She lived most of her life at the family home, Wistariahurst, in Holyoke, Massachusetts, now an historic site. She renovated and expanded this house to reflect her interests, including adding the music room, where she housed her musical instrument collection, now housed at Yale University.
In 1902 she and her sister Katherine established the Skinner Coffee House in honor of their late father, the coffee house initially hosted women working in the Skinner mills for social, service, and educational activities but gradually became a meeting place for dozens of men's and women's clubs, the 4-H Club, neighborhood organizations, children's groups, and dancing clubs.After the first world war, Belle Skinner helped rebuild the small town of Hattonchâtel and Château de Hattonchâtel. In return for her efforts following the war, Ms. Skinner was presented the Médaille de la Reconnaissance française by future French president and then-commissioner general of Alsace-Lorraine, Alexandre Millerand, in January 1919, at the ministry of foreign affairs in Paris. She also led the effort to rally American cities to adopt French villages during the postwar reconstruction, establishing the American Committee of Villages Libérés in New York City later that year. Holyoke would be the first city to take part in the program, providing a water supply to the village of Apremont-la-Forêt. Two years later on January 26, 1921, she was decorated with the rank of Chevalier in the Légion d'honneur for her continued aid to the French people. While her acts of charity to the French village received general praise and influenced other towns and cities to follow suit, they also drew the ire of nativists and anti-Catholicists, the Klan publication The Fiery Cross lambasted Skinner's efforts "to throw away one million excellent American dollars on two hundred French peasants when a few thousands of that sum would have built them good comfortable homes...is little less than a crime against one's country".
Ultimately Skinner would contribute greatly to her alma mater, providing Vassar College with the first fellowship for foreign studies in 1926, $10,000 for graduates to study history in France, as she had spent time in Paris as a young girl herself soon after her own graduation. While travelling to France to oversee the completion of the Hattonchâtel restoration, Ms. Skinner contracted pneumonia and died on April 9, 1928. In her memory, her brother William would contribute funds to raise her fellowship to $25,000, as well as fund construction of Skinner Hall for the college's department of music. Belle Skinner's body was brought back to New York City, where a funeral service was held, after which a second was held days later at the Skinner Memorial Chapel of the Holyoke United Congregational Church. She was interred in the family's plot at Forestdale Cemetery.Bonzée
Bonzée is a commune in the Meuse department in Grand Est in northeastern France.Cheppy
Cheppy is a commune in the Meuse department in Grand Est in northeastern France.
It was a site of fighting during World War I. An American monument sculpted by Nancy Coonsman was erected there by the State of Missouri after the war to honor the volunteers of the state.Damvillers
Damvillers is a commune in the Meuse department in Grand Est in north-eastern France.L'Isle-en-Rigault
L'Isle-en-Rigault (before 2017: Lisle-en-Rigault) is a commune in the Meuse department in Grand Est in north-eastern France.Lamorville
Lamorville is a commune in the Meuse department in Grand Est in north-eastern France.List of World War I memorials and cemeteries in the area of the St Mihiel salient
List of World War I memorials and cemeteries in the area of the Saint-Mihiel salient, in the present day Meuse department of the Lorraine region, located in northeastern France.
In this region the monuments and cemeteries are divided into: those linked to the efforts of the French to regain the ridge at Les Éparges, from 1915−1918; and those linked to the American offensive of the St Mihiel salient, the Battle of St Mihiel in September 1918.Montfaucon-d'Argonne
Montfaucon-d'Argonne is a commune in the Meuse department in Grand Est in north-eastern France.Ourches-sur-Meuse
Ourches-sur-Meuse is a commune in the Meuse department in Grand Est in north-eastern France.Pouilly-sur-Meuse
Pouilly-sur-Meuse is a commune in the Meuse department in Grand Est in north-eastern France.Rock Valley, Holyoke, Massachusetts
Rock Valley, sometimes referred to as West Holyoke, is a neighborhood in Holyoke, Massachusetts located to the west of the city center, approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) from downtown, bordering Easthampton, Southampton, Westfield, and West Springfield. Rock Valley is historically Holyoke's second oldest village after Elmwood, with its eponymous burial ground dating to around 1777, and families having settled in the area as early as 1745. Predating the construction of the Hadley Falls Dam, it originated as the western section of the 3rd parish ("Ireland Parish") of West Springfield. Today the neighborhood contains several historic Federal and Colonial homesteads as well as modern developments adjacent to agricultural and wetland tracts.Even into the 20th century the area retained an agrarian character, but was met with concern by residents who believed their neighborhood to be falling behind the progress made by the rest of the city during its sudden industrial growth. In 1921, the West Holyoke Improvement Association was founded by a number of concerned for the purpose of representing the interests of the neighborhood before the city government. Renamed the Rock Valley Improvement League in 1955, among the issues they lobbied for was the electrification of streets lights in the area, construction of a community center, and development of new playgrounds for children. The association would hold many neighborhood dinners and events for a number of years as well, and having achieved many of the aforementioned goals fell into relative obscurity.
In 1930 the area briefly gained international attention when a former supply route to Westfield built by soldiers of the 104th Infantry was dedicated in Massachusetts as the Apremont Highway in a joint ceremony between Holyoke and Westfield. The 104th was the first American military unit to receive a foreign decoration for valor and the first foreign recipients of the French Croix de Guerre, for liberating Apremont-la-Forêt in the First World War.Rupt-en-Woëvre
Rupt-en-Woëvre is a commune in the Meuse department in Grand Est in north-eastern France.Troyon
Troyon is a commune in the Meuse department in Grand Est in north-eastern France.