Appuldurcombe House (also spelt Appledorecombe or Appledore Combe) is the shell of a large 18th-century baroque country house of the Worsley family. The house is situated near to Wroxall on the Isle of Wight, England. It is now managed by English Heritage and is open to the public. A small part of the 300-acre (1.2 km2; 0.47 sq mi) estate that once surrounded it is still intact, but other features of the estate are still visible in the surrounding farmland and nearby village of Wroxall, including the entrance to the park, the Freemantle Gate, now used only by farm animals and pedestrians.
|Design and construction|
Appuldurcombe began as a priory in 1100. It became a convent, then the Elizabethan home of the Leigh family. The large Tudor mansion was bequeathed in 1690 to Sir Robert Worsley, 3rd Baronet, who began planning a suitable replacement. Of the existing property, he wrote:
Appuldurcombe as I found it in 1690 & of which I have not left one stone standing. This place took its name from its situation for in ye old Armoric Language Pul is a Bottom or Ditch or A Pool And Dur is water. ye Armoric Language is ye of ye Brittons in France And agrees much with ye Cornish & was probably ye language of ye old inhabitants of this Island. ye Saxons added Combe which in their language signifies a Bottom. I thought fitt to leave this Memorandum to Posterity & refer them to Lhuyds Dictionary in ye oldest Court Roll I have which was ye 16 year of King Henry ye Sixth I find it entered Appuldurcombe as above & likewise in some of ye old ones since but they often varyed in ye spelling of it not knowing from whence it was derived." Signed "Rob. Worsley, 1720". Also annotated are, from l to r: "Bowling Green, Great Dining Room with library over it this was formerly a tennis court, Staircase, Parlour, Hall, Hall, Chapell, Stables
The present house was begun in 1702. The architect was John James. Sir Robert never saw the house fully completed. He died on 29 July 1747, in his memory a monument was erected overlooking the house on Stenbury Down.
The house was greatly extended in the 1770s by his great-nephew Sir Richard Worsley, 7th Baronet of Appuldurcombe. The newly extended mansion was where Sir Richard brought his new wife, the 17-year-old Seymour Dorothy Fleming, whom he married "for love and £80,000". Capability Brown was commissioned in 1779 to design the ornamental grounds at the same time as the extensions. A romantic ruined folly known as "Cooke’s Castle" was built on the hill opposite to improve the view. During Sir Richard's time, the house held a magnificent art collection and was the setting for Sir Richard's entertaining of some of the most eminent figures of the age.
Sir Richard's marriage quickly fell apart, and the couple's only child, a son, died in infancy. After he sued one of his wife's rumoured 27 lovers, the couple informally separated. Seymour could not remarry until Richard's death, and she became a professional mistress or demimondaine, living off the donations of rich men in order to survive, joining other upper-class women in a similar position in the New Female Coterie. Sir Richard died of apoplexy on 8 August 1805 at Appledurcombe, and was buried at the parish church at Godshill. His title passed to his fourth cousin, Henry Worsley-Holmes, whilst his wife's £70,000 jointure (equivalent to £5,580,000 in 2018) reverted to her, and just over a month later she remarried.
Worsley had left the estate saddled with heavy debts, but Appuldurcombe passed to his niece, Henrietta Anna Maria Charlotte (daughter of John Bridgeman Simpson). She married the Hon. Charles Anderson-Pelham, later first Earl of Yarborough, in 1806. The founder of the Royal Yacht Squadron at Cowes, he made few changes to the house and was quite happy to retain the property as a convenient base for his sailing activities.
In 1855 the estate was sold. An unsuccessful business venture ran Appuldurcombe as a hotel, but with its failure, the house was then leased as Dr Pound's Academy for young gentlemen. The house was inhabited in 1901–1907 by a hundred Benedictine monks who had been exiled from Solesmes Abbey in France and were shortly to settle at Quarr Abbey on the Isle of Wight.
Troops were billeted in the house during both world wars, and at the onset of the Second World War the house was taken over by the military. On 7 February 1943, a Nazi Luftwaffe Dornier Do 217 that was engaged in a mine-laying mission turned inland and dropped its final mine very close to the house, before crashing into St Martin's Down. The resulting hole in the roof was left unrepaired, and after the war much of the remainder of the roof and the interiors were removed and sold off.
Although the house is now mainly a shell, its front section has been re-roofed and glazed, and a small part of the interior recreated. The house has become well known as one of the supposedly most haunted places on the island. There are frequent tales and claimed sightings of ghosts, phantoms and other supernatural phenomena. During the summer holidays, weekly ghost walks are held at Appuldurcombe every Thursday evening. 
As of January 2016, Appuldurcombe House and surrounding estate are for sale for £4.75 million.
Lancelot Brown (born c. 1715–16, baptised 30 August 1716 – 6 February 1783), more commonly known with the byname Capability Brown, was an English landscape architect. He is remembered as "the last of the great English 18th-century artists to be accorded his due" and "England's greatest gardener".
He designed over 170 parks, many of which still endure. He was nicknamed "Capability" because he would tell his clients that their property had "capability" for improvement. His influence was so great that the contributions to the English garden made by his predecessors Charles Bridgeman and William Kent are often overlooked; even Kent's champion Horace Walpole allowed that Kent "was succeeded by a very able master".Charles Anderson-Pelham, 1st Earl of Yarborough
Charles Anderson-Pelham, 1st Earl of Yarborough (8 August 1781 – 5 September 1846), styled Hon. Charles Anderson-Pelham from 1794 to 1823, was the founder of the Royal Yacht Squadron. He lived at Appuldurcombe House, on the Isle of Wight, which had been inherited by his wife Henrietta from her uncle, Sir Richard Worsley.
He died aboard his yacht at Vigo in Spain in 1846.
There are two monuments to him: one at Culver Down, on the Isle of Wight, and Pelham's Pillar at Caistor, Lincolnshire, England.
He was Member of Parliament (MP) for Great Grimsby from 1803 until his re-election in 1807 was overturned on petition in 1808, and for Lincolnshire from 1807 to 1823.His younger son, the Honourable Dudley Pelham, was a naval commander and politician.Earl of Yarborough
Earl of Yarborough is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1837 for Charles Anderson-Pelham, 2nd Baron Yarborough. The Anderson-Pelham family descends from Francis Anderson of Manby, Lincolnshire. He married Mary, daughter of Charles Pelham of Brocklesby, Lincolnshire. Their grandson Charles Anderson assumed the additional surname of Pelham and represented Beverley and Lincolnshire in the House of Commons. In 1794 he was created 1st Baron Yarborough, of Yarborough in the County of Lincoln, in the Peerage of Great Britain.He was succeeded by his son, the second Baron. He sat as Member of Parliament for Great Grimsby and for Lincolnshire. Lord Yarborough married Henrietta Anne Maria Charlotte Bridgeman (d. 1813), daughter of the Hon. John Simpson and Henrietta Francis, daughter of Sir Thomas Worsley, 6th Baronet, of Appuldurcombe (a title which became extinct in 1825; see Worsley baronets). Through this marriage Appuldurcombe House on the Isle of Wight, which had previously been in the Worsley family, came into the Anderson-Pelham family (however, it was sold already in 1855). In 1837 Yarborough was created Baron Worsley, of Appuldurcombe on the Isle of Wight, and Earl of Yarborough, in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. He was succeeded by his son, the second Earl. He represented Newport, Isle of Wight, Lincolnshire and North Lincolnshire in Parliament and served as Lord Lieutenant of Lincolnshire. Lord Yarborough is also remembered for giving his name to the bridge term the "Yarborough hand". His son, the third Earl, was Member of Parliament for Great Grimsby.
On his early death the titles passed to his son, the fourth Earl. He held office in the second Conservative administration of Lord Salisbury as Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms from 1890 to 1892 and was also Lord Lieutenant of Lincolnshire. In 1905 he assumed by Royal licence for himself and issue the surname and arms of Pelham only in 1905. Lord Yarborough married the Hon. Marcia Lane-Fox, daughter of Sackville George Lane-Fox, 15th Baron Darcy de Knayth and 12th Baron Conyers. The baronies of Darcy de Knayth and Conyers fell into abeyance on the latter's death in 1888. However, in 1892 the barony of Conyers was called out of abeyance in favour of Marcia, who became the thirteenth Baron Conyers in her own right. In 1903 the ancient barony of Fauconberg, which had been in abeyance since 1463, was also called out in her favour and she became the seventh Baroness Fauconberg as well.
Both Lord and Lady Yarborough were succeeded in their respective titles by their second but eldest surviving son, the fifth Earl. He had no sons and on his death in 1948 the baronies of Conyers and Fauconberg fell into abeyance between his two daughters Lady Diana Mary and Lady June Wendy; they remained so until the death of Lady June Wendy in 2012. He was succeeded in the other titles by his younger brother, the sixth Earl. As of 2009 the peerages are held by the latter's grandson, the eighth Earl, who succeeded his father in 1991.
Caistor Yarborough School in Caistor, Lincolnshire was named in memorial to John Edward Pelham, 7th Earl of Yarborough and is located less than a mile away from the Brocklesby House estate. A number of public places, roads and buildings in Lincolnshire are named after the Yarborough title, particularly in Grimsby, where the family were particularly prominent political figures. One of the most well known sites is the Yarborough Hotel, built in 1851 and now a pub owned by J. D. Wetherspoon. There was also an area in Grimsby called Yarborough, until it was absorbed into the conurbation of Grimsby & Cleethorpes and there continues to be a Yarborough Estate in the town, which is currently undergoing extensive re-development.
Another member of this family was Sir Stephen Anderson, 1st Baronet, of Eyworth. He was the brother of Francis Anderson, grandfather of the first Baron Yarborough. The Honourable Dudley Pelham, younger son of the first Earl, was a naval commander and politician.
The family crest has been adopted by HMS Brocklesby, which is named after the Brocklesby Hunt.The Yarborough Monument on Bembridge Down commissioned by the Royal Yacht Squadron commemorates his life and is both a sea mark and the highest monument on the Isle of Wight at 75 ft.The family seat is Brocklesby House, near Immingham, Lincolnshire.English Baroque
English Baroque is a term sometimes used to refer to the developments in English architecture that were parallel to the evolution of Baroque architecture in continental Europe between the Great Fire of London (1666) and the Treaty of Utrecht (1713).
Baroque aesthetics, whose influence was so potent in mid-17th century France, made little impact in England during the Protectorate and the first Restoration years.Sir Christopher Wren presided over the genesis of the English Baroque manner, which differed from the continental models by clarity of design and subtle taste for classicism. Following the Great Fire of London, Wren rebuilt fifty-three churches, where Baroque aesthetics are apparent primarily in dynamic structure and multiple changing views. His most ambitious work was St Paul's Cathedral (1675–1711), which bears comparison with the most effulgent domed churches of Italy and France. In this majestically proportioned edifice, the Palladian tradition of Inigo Jones is fused with contemporary continental sensibilities in masterly equilibrium. Less influential were straightforward attempts to engraft the Berniniesque vision onto British church architecture (e.g., by Thomas Archer in St. John's, Smith Square, 1728) and the contemporary mood soon shifted toward the stripped down orthodoxy of British Palladianism popularised by Colen Campbell's influential Vitruvius Britannicus.
Although Wren was also active in secular architecture, the first truly Baroque country house in England was built to a design by William Talman at Chatsworth, starting in 1687. The culmination of Baroque architectural forms comes with Sir John Vanbrugh and Nicholas Hawksmoor. Each was capable of a fully developed architectural statement, yet they preferred to work in tandem, most notably at Castle Howard (1699) and Blenheim Palace (1705). Appuldurcombe House, Isle of Wight, now in ruins, but conserved by English Heritage, must also be mentioned.Castle Howard is a flamboyant assembly of restless masses dominated by a cylindrical domed tower. Blenheim is a more solid construction, where the massed stone of the arched gates and the huge solid portico becomes the main ornament. Vanbrugh's final work was Seaton Delaval Hall (1718), a comparatively modest mansion yet unique in the structural audacity of its style. It was at Seaton Delaval that Vanbrugh, a skillful playwright, achieved the peak of Restoration drama, once again highlighting a parallel between Baroque architecture and contemporary theatre. Despite his efforts, Baroque was never truly to the English taste and well before his death in 1724 the style had lost currency in Britain.In the early 18th century, the style was associated with Toryism, the Continent and Popery by the dominant Whig aristocracy. At Wentworth Woodhouse, Thomas Watson-Wentworth and his son Thomas Watson-Wentworth, 1st Marquess of Rockingham replaced a Jacobean house with a substantial Baroque one in the 1720s, only to find fellow Whigs unimpressed. As a result, a large Palladian building was added, leaving the older one intact.George Coventry, 7th Earl of Coventry
George William Coventry, 7th Earl of Coventry (25 April 1758 – 26 March 1831), styled Viscount Deerhurst until 1809, was a British peer and Member of Parliament.Grade I listed buildings on the Isle of Wight
There are over 9,300 Grade I listed buildings in England. This page is a list of these buildings in the county of Isle of Wight.
In the United Kingdom, the term listed building refers to a building or other structure officially designated as being of special architectural, historical, or cultural significance; Grade I structures are those considered to be "buildings of exceptional interest". Listing was begun by a provision in the Town and Country Planning Act 1947. Once listed, strict limitations are imposed on the modifications allowed to a building's structure or fittings. In England, the authority for listing under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 rests with English Heritage, a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport; local authorities have a responsibility to regulate and enforce the planning regulations.John James (architect)
John James (c. 1673 – 15 May 1746) was a British architect particularly associated with Twickenham in west London, where he rebuilt St Mary's Church and also built a house for James Johnson, Secretary of State for Scotland, later Orleans House and since demolished. Howard Colvin's assessment of him was that of "a competent architect, but he lacked inventive fancy, and his buildings are for the most part plain and unadventurous in design".List of monastic houses on the Isle of Wight
The following is a list of monastic houses on the Isle of Wight in England.
Alien houses are included, as are smaller establishments such as cells and notable monastic granges (particularly those with resident monks), and also camerae of the military orders of monks (Knights Templars and Knights Hospitaller). The numerous monastic hospitals per se are not included here unless at some time the foundation had, or was purported to have the status or function of an abbey, priory, friary or preceptor/commandery.
The name of the county is given where there is reference to an establishment in another county. Where the county has changed since the foundation's dissolution the modern county is given in parentheses, and in instances where the referenced foundation ceased to exist before the unification of England, the kingdom is given, followed by the modern county in parentheses.
== Abbreviations and key ==
Locations with names in italics indicate probable duplication (misidentification with another location) or non-existent foundations (either erroneous reference or proposed foundation never implemented) or ecclesiastical establishments with a monastic appellation but lacking monastic connection.
The following location on the Isle of Wight lacks monastic connection:
Chale Abbey: a farm
== Related articles ==List of tourist attractions in the Isle of Wight
The following is a list of tourist attractions on the Isle of Wight.Quarr Abbey
Quarr Abbey (French: Abbaye Notre-Dame de Quarr) is a monastery between the villages of Binstead and Fishbourne on the Isle of Wight in southern England. The name is pronounced as "Kwor" (rhyming with "for"). It belongs to the Catholic Order of St Benedict.
The Grade I listed listed monastic buildings and church, completed in 1912, are considered some of the most important twentieth-century religious structures in the United Kingdom; Sir Nikolaus Pevsner described the Abbey as "among the most daring and successful church buildings of the early 20th century in England". They were constructed from Belgian brick in a style combining French, Byzantine and Moorish architectural elements. In the vicinity are a few remains of the original twelfth-century abbey.A community of fewer than a dozen monks maintains the monastery's regular life and the attached farm. As of 2013, the community provides two-month internships for young men.Quarr Abbey House
The Quarr Abbey House was one of several houses constructed along the north coast of the Isle of Wight in southern England. Built in the 19th century from the ruins of a Norman abbey, it was a residence of the Cochrane family and was later incorporated into the new Quarr Abbey monastery that was built on the site.Rookley Manor, Hampshire
Rookley Manor is a Grade II* listed country house, located in Up Somborne in Hampshire, England.Sir James Worsley, 5th Baronet
Sir James Worsley 5th Baronet (1672–1756) of Pylewell Park, Hampshire was a British landowner and politician who sat in the English House of Commons between 1696 and 1707 and in the British House of Commons between 1708 and 1741.
Worsley was baptized on 28 May 1672, the eldest son of Sir James Worsley of Pylewell Park and his wife Mary Steward, daughter of Sir Nicholas Steward, 1st Baronet of Hartley Mauditt, Hampshire. His father had moved to Hampshire from the family's traditional home at Appuldurcombe on the Isle of Wight. James matriculated at New College, Oxford in 1688; and was admitted at Middle Temple in 1691. His father died in 1695 and he succeeded to his estates.Worsley was elected Member of Parliament for Newtown (Isle of Wight) at the 1695 general election and retained the seat in 1698 and in the first general election of 1701. He did not stand in the second general election of 1701. He was returned unopposed with his cousin Henry at the 1705 general election and was returned again at the elections of 1708, 1710 and 1713. He was Woodward of the New Forest from 1710 to 1715. He married Rachel Merrick, daughter of Thomas Merrick of St. Margaret's, Westminster on 25 February 1714.At the 1715 general election Worsley was returned as MP for Newtown with his cousin Sir Robert Worsley, 4th Baronet. He did not stand in 1722. There was a contest at the 1727 general election and he was initially returned but then unseated on petition on 25 April 1729. He was returned unopposed at the 1734 general election and did not stand in 1741.Worsley succeeded his cousin the 4th Baronet in the baronetcy on 29 July 1747 but not to Appuldurcombe House, which went in trust for his son. He died on 12 June 1756 leaving one son Thomas, who succeeded him in the baronetcy.Sir Richard Worsley, 7th Baronet
Sir Richard Worsley, 7th Baronet, (13 February 1751 – 8 August 1805) was a British politician who sat in the House of Commons between 1774 and 1801. He was a noted collector of antiquities.Sir Robert Worsley, 3rd Baronet
Sir Robert Worsley, 3rd Baronet Worsley (1643–1675, Appuldurcombe) was an English politician who sat in the House of Commons of England during the Cavalier Parliament, representing Newtown on the Isle of Wight from 1666 to 1675. He was counted as a member of the Court party, but was not considered very active in parliament.Sir Robert Worsley, 4th Baronet
Sir Robert Worsley 4th Baronet (c. 1669–1747) was a British politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1715 to 1722.
Worsley was the eldest son of Sir Robert Worsley, 3rd Baronet, MP of Appuldurcombe and his wife Mary Herbert, daughter of Hon. James Herbert of Kingsey, Buckinghamshire. In 1676, aged seven, he succeeded to the baronetcy and the manor of Appuldurcombe on the death of his father. He matriculated at Christ Church, Oxford on 17 December 1684, aged 15. He married by licence dated 13 August 1690 Frances Thynne, daughter of Thomas Thynne, 1st Viscount Weymouth, of Longleat, Wiltshire.
Worsley was Deputy Lieutenant of Hampshire from 1699 to 1702. In 1702, he started rebuilding Appuldurcombe House which had been in his family since 1527. The architect was John James.
Worsley had an interest at the parliamentary seat of Newtown (Isle of Wight). His brother Henry represented the seat from 1705 but was sent as Ambassador to Portugal in 1713. Worsley stood in his brother's place at the 1715 general election, was returned as Member of Parliament for the seat and acted as place-holder for his brother in case he returned from Portugal. He was classed as a Tory but often voted with the Whigs. He supported the Administration on the peerage bill but voted against the Septennial Bill and the repeal of the Occasional Conformity and Schism Acts. He did not stand again in 1722; his brother Henry had another posting as Governor of Barbados.
Worsley died on 29 July 1747, with seven surviving daughters but no male heir. He left his mainland Hampshire property to Robert Carteret, 3rd Earl Granville, the son of his daughter, Frances. The baronetcy went to his cousin James Worsley. He had never seen his house at Appuldurcombe fully completed; it passed in trust to Sir Thomas Worsley, 6th Baronet, the son of his cousin James.
A monument was erected in his memory on Stenbury Down, overlooking his house.St. Catherine's Oratory
St. Catherine's Oratory is a medieval lighthouse on St. Catherine's Down, above the southern coast of the Isle of Wight. It was built by Lord of Chale Walter de Godeton (sometimes spelled "Goditon") as an act of penance for plundering wine from the wreck of St. Marie of Bayonne in Chale Bay on 20 April 1313. The tower is known locally as the "Pepperpot" because of its likeness.
It is Britain's only surviving medieval lighthouse, and the second oldest (only the Roman lighthouse at Dover being older). It is a stone structure four stories high, octagonal on the outside and four-sided on the inside, originally attached to the west side of a building; remnants of three other walls are visible.de Godeton was tried for theft in Southampton, before a jury from the island, and fined 287 and half marks on 27 February 1314. However, he was also later tried by the Church courts, since the wine had been destined for the monastery of Livers in Picardy. The Church threatened to excommunicate him unless he built a lighthouse near Chale Bay.There was already an oratory on the top of the hill, dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria. This was augmented by the construction of the lighthouse, with a chantry to accommodate the priest who tended the light, and also gave Mass for those at peril on the sea.
Although de Godeton died in 1327, the lighthouse was nevertheless completed in 1328. It remained in active use until the Dissolution of the Monasteries between 1538-1541.
In the 18th century Sir Richard Worsley of Appuldurcombe House bolstered the structure by adding four large buttresses to prevent its collapse.
Nearby there are the footings of a replacement lighthouse begun in 1785, but never completed, because the hill is prone to dense fog. Its remnants are known locally as the "salt cellar". A nearby Bronze Age barrow was excavated in 1925.The current St. Catherine's Lighthouse, constructed after the 1837 wreck of the Clarendon, was built much closer to sea level on St. Catherine's Point.Stenbury Down
Stenbury Down is a chalk down on the Isle of Wight. It is located close to the town of Ventnor, in the southeast of the island, and rises to 226 metres at its highest point, west of Wroxall, Isle of Wight. Stenbury Down is an elongate down running approximately north to south.
There is an obelisk erected in 1774 by Sir Richard Worsley in memory of Sir Robert Worsley of Appuldurcombe House. The monument was struck by lightning in 1831 and partially demolished. In 1983 it was restored to its current state by General Sir Richard Worsley with assistance from the Isle of Wight Council and the people of Gatcombe Parish.
There are also two prominent radio masts. The northern end terminates in the Gat Cliff, whereas the southern end transition into Week Down.
Vehicle access is available via Rew Lane and a steep unnamed road.Wroxall, Isle of Wight
Wroxall is a village and civil parish in the central south of the Isle of Wight.
It is close to Appuldurcombe House. The parish church is St. John's Church, Wroxall.
Bus services operated by Southern Vectis link the village with the towns of Newport, Ryde, Sandown, Shanklin and Ventnor, as well as intermediate villages.
Isle of Wight Portal