Justice Annabelle Clinton Imber (born July 15, 1950) was an associate justice of the Arkansas Supreme Court. Imber was elected to the Supreme Court in 1997, after serving eight years as an elected chancery and probate court judge for Pulaski and Perry counties.
In 1984, Governor Bill Clinton (no relation to her then-husband) appointed her to a vacant criminal division judgeship on the Pulaski County Circuit Court. In 1988, she was elected chancery and probate judge for Pulaski and Perry counties.
Prior to taking the bench, Imber was in private practice for several years with the Little Rock law firm of Wright, Lindsey & Jennings. Justice Imber received her undergraduate degree from Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts and her law degree from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. On September 10, 2009 Justice Imber announced plans to retire from the bench. She retired January 1, 2010.
The first woman elected to the Arkansas Supreme Court, Imber is best known for a case she handled while she was a chancery judge in the 6th Judicial District (Perry and Pulaski counties).
In 1994, she issued a landmark ruling in the school-funding case filed by the tiny Lake View School District that declared the state was violating the Arkansas Constitution by funding districts inequitably.
Annabelle Davis Clinton Imber Tuck
July 15, 1950
Heber Springs, Arkansas, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Henry Tuck (m.2009-present)|
Arkansas's 2006 state elections were held November 7, 2006. Primaries were held May 23 and runoffs, if necessary, were held June 13. Arkansas elected seven constitutional officers, 17 of 35 state senate seats, all 100 house seats and 28 district prosecuting attorneys, and voted on one constitutional amendment and one referred question. Non-partisan judicial elections were held the same day as the party primaries for four Supreme Court justices, four appeals circuit court judges, and eight district court judges.List of Justices of the Arkansas Supreme Court
The following is a list of Justices of the Arkansas Supreme Court. Article VI, Section 1, of the Arkansas Constitution of 1836 established a Supreme Court; Section 2 declared it would consist of three judges, including a Chief Justice.The Reconstruction Constitution of 1868, which placed the state under military control, added two justices; the Arkansas Constitution of 1874 rolled back the expansion, but stipulated that once the population of the state should "amount to one million, the General Assembly may, if deemed necessary, increase the number of judges of the Supreme Court to five." In 1889, the population milestone was reached, and the legislature authorized a total of five justices. Constitutional sanction of the enlargement came in 1924 with voter approval of Amendment 9, which also allowed for the future legislative creation of two additional judgeships. Act 205 of 1925 further increased the number of justices to seven.
Note: Some early justices were able to be elected to positions they were appointed to. Ark. Const., Amendment 29, adopted in 1938, prohibited state, county, and city appointees from being elected to the same position.