Angle (Welsh: Angl) is a village, parish and community on the southern side of the entrance to the Milford Haven Waterway in Pembrokeshire, Wales. It has a school, two pubs, a village shop with a post office and St Mary's church. There is a bus link to Pembroke railway station.
Angle bay is a wilderness of mud and sand making it a good home for invertebrates making it popular with many bird species such as dunlin, grey plover, common redshank, Eurasian oystercatcher and Eurasian curlew. The nearby Kilpaison Marsh has been a breeding area for Cetti's warbler in the reed beds and scrub. West Angle Bay is a Site of Special Scientific Interest, with rock pools which are home to the rare cushion starfish, and also a sandy beach .
Saint Mary's Church, Angle
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Mid and West Wales|
The church which stands in the centre of the village, is thought to have been built in the thirteenth century with the tower added in the fifteenth century. The church's grounds include a number of graves of victims of the Japanese ship Hirano Maru that was torpedoed locally during World War I; the memorial was re-dedicated in 2018. The church contains memorials to the Mirehouse family of The Hall, Angle, as well as ancient monuments to the families of Ferrers and Dawes of Bangeston.
The Sailors' Chapel, a Grade I listed building dedicated to St. Anthony, is in the church graveyard. Beneath the chapel is a crypt where until the early twentieth century, many anonymous seamen's bodies that had been found on the coastline were readied for burial.
The chapel is a small, single-cell vaulted building above a raised and vaulted crypt. It was founded in the 15th century (1447) by Edward de Shirburn a "knight of Nangle". It was restored in 1853, again by Elizabeth Mirehouse in 1862, and rededicated in 1929. Originally a receiving place, or charnel-house, for the corpses of drowned sailors, it became a chapel of rest in the 20th century.
Constructed of coarse masonry under a modern tiled roof with a Celtic cross finial, the chapel has Victorian stained glass windows, one of which depicts the miracle of Christ walking upon the sea. There is a stone altar.
A Pele tower was built by Robert de Shirburn in the 14th century. It is within Castle Farm but can be easily accessed. The castle may have been built by the Shirburn family during the time of Owain Glyndŵr. A French army landed at Angle in 1405 to assist Glyndŵr. Some sources see the castle as a simple pele tower but others see evidence of a moat and another tower and regard what survives as being the remains of a larger castle.
In the 19th century, it was reported that 388 people lived in the village with the women involved in plaiting straw for bonnets and mats, whilst the men would trawl for oysters when they were in season.
In the same century, many forts were constructed around the Milford Haven Waterway—Angle has four—Thorne Island, East Blockhouse Battery, Chapel Bay and Stack Rock Fort. Their construction was at the behest of Lord Palmerston following a Royal Commission.
The chief landowners in Angle were the Mirehouse family for many generations; descendants of John Mirehouse of Brownslade, Pembrokeshire, who purchased the Angle estate from the Kinner family for £29,000 shortly after 1800. The family later made The Hall its main seat after extensive refurbishment in the 1830s. John Mirehouse was appointed High Sheriff of Pembrokeshire in 1831, and Lt. Col. Richard Walter Byrd Mirehouse served as High Sheriff in 1886.
By 1886, John Mirehouse's descendant, Lt. Col. Richard Walter Byrd Levett of Staffordshire, graduate of Eton and Christ Church, Oxford, had taken the surname of his mother's family and had settled in the village. Lt. Col. Mirehouse lived at The Hall, where his descendants continue to live today, and where he embarked on making improvements to the estate and the village. This included constructing a number of buildings; one being the castellated, eclectic, colonial-style Globe Hotel; once the main village hotel and still a prominent feature in this Victorian estate village.
The Mirehouse estate included Cheveralton Farm and Hubberton Farm. The family also owned the Golden Estate in Pembroke and Wallaston Farm in Pembroke St. Mary. Councillor John Allen-Mirehouse of Angle currently serves as Pembrokeshire County Council Deputy Leader.
The sheltered beach at West Angle Bay has been designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest; the rock pools are home to a small green starfish called Asterina phylactica. The starfish was only formally identified in 1979.
On 15 February 1996, the oil tanker Sea Empress grounded at the entrance to the Milford Haven Waterway, spilling 72,000 tonnes of crude oil. The coastline around Angle was severely damaged. The effect of the oil spill lasted several years and cost £60 million.
A lifeboat station was established here in 1868; since then there have been a number of lifeboats and even a number of different slipways. The crew here has received numerous awards including seven silver medals from the RNLI. In 2008 there are two lifeboats, The Lady Rank and the smaller Richard John Talbot Miller.
The first rescue where the crew received silver medals was in the rescue of 27 (some say 33) people who were on board the 1878-built Loch Shiel which had run into rocks off Thorn Island. Two lifeboat crew members and the honorary secretary received silver medals. One of these crew members was Thomas Rees. He is buried in the church yard at St Mary's. It was said that the lifeboat was unable to reach them but these brave people managed to get to them by climbing around Thorn island and getting a rope to the ship. They literally held on by their finger tips to achieve this.
The rescue is particularly noteworthy as it is described as Wales' "Whisky Galore". The Loch Shiel was carrying goods from Scotland to Adelaide and included gunpowder, beer and 7,500 (some say 7,000) cases of Glasgow whisky. Much of this was never recovered. Some of the bottles are still amongst the wreck which are described as "undrinkable", but much of the cargo was only partially recovered by the customs men. It was said that one local drank himself to death on the 100 proof whiskey. In 1999, bottles of beer from the wreck were auctioned for £1,000 per bottle.
A bronze medal was awarded to Coxswain James Watkins for rescuing 28 people on the 26 November 1929 from the single-screw steamship Molesley which had been caught by a sudden wind change and a poor decision by its captain. James Watkins went on to be awarded both a silver medal for rescuing 6 people in 1944 from the motor boat Thor and a year later another bronze medal for a difficult rescue of nine people from the steamer Walter L M Russ. (This steamer had been seized from the Germans and sank on the 15 July before it could be renamed the Empire Concourse.)
More recently, Coxswain William John Rees Holmes has been awarded two bronze medals. The first was in 1977 when the tanker Donna Marike was thought to be about to explode and the lifeboat stood by her in December 1976. The second bronze medal was for rescuing three people from the fishing boat Cairnsmore on 1 December 1978.
In 1997 a third coxswain, Jeremy R. Rees, and his crew were awarded another bronze medal for rescuing four people after their motor boat, Dale Princess, was blown onto cliffs on Skomer Island. The rescue was made in gale-force winds and stormy seas.
In April 2009, a new £2.2 million Tamar class lifeboat replaced the previous Tyne class boat. Funding raising started in 2006 in Pembrokshire and Birmingham, while a single £1.6 million donation from Grand Lodge of Mark Master Masons, a branch of the Free Masons in London, enabled final purchase of the boat.
Angle Lifeboat Station, Angle, Pembrokeshire, Wales, first opened in 1868 after a letter from the local Coastguard requested a lifeboat station within the Milford Haven Waterway. Originally called Milford Lifeboat Station until 1892 when it was officially changed at a Royal National Lifeboat Institution committee meeting.The station currently operates a Tamar-class lifeboat Mark Mason and a D-class (IB1) lifeboat SuperG II.Angle Peninsula Coast
The Angle Peninsula Coast is a peninsula which forms the southern side of the entrance to the Milford Haven Waterway in the county of Pembrokeshire, Wales. It is a Site of Special Scientific Interest. There is a wide range of wildlife and a former RAF airfield.
Angle peninsula is rich in World War II defences and the site of former RAF Angle. The hollows in the banks around it were used to house machine guns in the Second World War and there was a searchlight battery here. Inland from East Picket bay are the remnants of the E-Pens used to house fighter aircraft if they were needed. In a field close to the World War I memorial there are the remains of an anti aircraft post. On a section of the coastal path just past the RNLI lifeboat house there are visible remains of an anti aircraft post. This site was later changed and used to house a 40 mm Rolls Royce gun. At the north hill there are remains of a Laing hut that was used as housing for a searchlight. On a rocky patch of ground at west pill is a brick mine watcher hut. This was used specifically to watch out for the enemy who may be laying mines in Milford Haven.
Angle airfield was one of the most remote airfields in Britain during World War II. The airfield opened in 1941 after Luftwaffe attacks at the town of Pembroke Dock. It began as a station for No.10 Group, Fighter Command. A few Royal Air Force (RAF) squadrons passed through Angle including Flyer Supermarine Spitfires, Westland Whirlwinds and Hawker Hurricanes. For a short while in 1943 it was passed on to the Royal Navy. During this time a Sunderland flying boat landed at Angle airfield after receiving hull damage during a rescue. It returned to the RAF and became home to the Coastal command unit who tested weapons that could be used against German U-Boats. After the war was over the buildings were no longer used and many were removed in the 1980s; however, some still stand in remote locations.
On 15 February 1996, the oil tanker Sea Empress grounded at the Milford Haven Waterway entrance, spilling 72,000 tonnes of crude oil.
The coastline around Angle was severely damaged. The effect of the oil spill lasted several years and cost £60 million.Baron of Navan
The Barony of Navan was an Irish feudal barony which was held by the de Angulo family, who later changed their name to Nangle. It was a customary title; in other words the holder of the title was always referred to as a Baron, and this privilege was hereditary, but the Baron was not a peer in the strict sense, and was not entitled to a seat in the Irish House of Lords.
The title was conferred by Hugh de Lacy, Lord of Meath, on his trusted lieutenant Jocelyn de Angulo, in or about the year 1172. Jocelyn is thought to have taken his surname from his birthplace Angle, Pembrokeshire. Junior branches of the Nangle dynasty founded the Nagle and Costello families. Jocelyn acquired not only Navan but also Morgallion and Ardbraccan. His building of Navan Fort is generally regarded as marking the foundation of the town.
Jocelyn's son Gilbert de Angulo, the 2nd Baron, rebelled against Richard I in 1195. He was attainted and his estates declared forfeit to the Crown; but he was later pardoned by King John of England. He was killed in a skirmish in 1212 or 1213.
The family acquired wealth and substantial lands, but played a curiously obscure role in Irish history. John Nangle, 16th Baron of Navan, like most of the Anglo-Irish nobility, supported the Yorkist pretender to the Crown, Lambert Simnel and shared in the general pardon issued by Henry VII of England. Described as a lusty warrior, he fought at the Battle of Knockdoe in 1504. Patrick, 18th Baron, was one of the Anglo-Irish nobles of the Pale who were involved in the cess controversy of 1577, concerning the Crown's right to levy taxes for the upkeep of garrisons, and was briefly imprisoned for non-payment of the tax.
Peter Nangle, a younger son of Thomas, 17th Baron, was in the entourage of Hugh O'Neill, 2nd Earl of Tyrone and played some part in the events leading to the Flight of the Earls. Thomas, 19th Baron, took part in the Irish Rebellion of 1641, and signed the "Catholic Remonstrance" in 1642 . As a result, he was attainted as a traitor and forfeited much of his property. Although his son George, 20th Baron, recovered some part of the estates at the Restoration of Charles II, the family's fortunes had begun to decline. John, 21st Baron, was a supporter of James II of England: after the Glorious Revolution he was attainted and the Nangles left Ireland for good. Patrick, 22nd Baron, was a soldier in the French Army, and supporter of the Old Pretender. Francis, 23rd and last Baron, spent many years serving in the Austrian Army; he died unmarried in Vienna in 1781, when the title became extinct. The title was won by force of arms by Mark Costello (an indirect descendant) in 2010 and the heir apparent is Tom Costello since Mark has no legitimate children as of now.Common Serjeant of London
The Common Serjeant of London (full title The Serjeant-at-Law in the Common Hall) is an ancient British legal office, first recorded in 1291, and is the second most senior permanent judge of the Central Criminal Court after the Recorder of London, acting as deputy to that office, and sitting as a judge in the trial of criminal offences.
He is also one of the High Officers of the City of London Corporation, and must undertake certain civic obligations alongside his judicial duties: each Midsummer he presides at the election of Sheriffs in the Guildhall, and each Michaelmas he plays a key role in the ceremonial election of the Lord Mayor. He presents the Sheriffs to the Queen's Remembrancer at the annual Quit Rents ceremony, and is in attendance on most other major ceremonial occasions.The Common Serjeant is appointed by the Crown on the recommendation of the Lord Chancellor.
Formerly, the Common Serjeant of London was a legal officer of the City Corporation of London. The Common Serjeant of London attended on the Lord Mayor of London and the Court of Aldermen on court days, and acted with them in council. He also attended the Court of Aldermen and Common Council, and had charge of the Orphans' EstatesThe 81st incumbent is His Honour Judge Richard Marks, QC, who was appointed on 3 March 2015.Dovecote, Angle
Dovecote is a Grade II*–listed dovecote in the community of Angle, Pembrokeshire, Wales, which dates back to the 15th century. It was listed on 14 May 1970 by Cadw.It has a circular plan with open eye at the apex of the dome, and most probably built to serve the Old Rectory. It is made of sandstone. Inside it has 14 rows of 30 nesting boxes and a large number of flight holes horizontally within the walls, though some are blocked. This type is often found in Cornwall but is rare in Wales.East Blockhouse
East Blockhouse may refer to a:
East Blockhouse, a Palmerston Fort in Milford Haven
East Blockhouse, a 16th-century fortification in Angle, PembrokeshireEgerton Bagot Byrd Levett-Scrivener
Captain Egerton Bagot Byrd Levett-Scrivener (1857-1954) was a Royal Navy Flag Lieutenant and aide to Vice Admiral George Willes in the Far East. He was later promoted to Captain, and following his retirement became Bursar of Keble College, Oxford University. Born Egerton Levett, he changed his name to Levett-Scrivener on an inheritance from his aunt of Scrivener family properties at Sibton Abbey, Suffolk, which he later managed. Levett was married to the daughter of English diplomat and ambassador Sir Harry Smith Parkes.
Egerton Levett was the son of Col. Richard Byrd Levett of Milford Hall, Staffordshire and his wife Elizabeth Mary (Mirehouse) Levett. Egerton Levett entered the service of the Royal Navy, where during a posting as aide to Admiral Willes in 1884, he met Mabel Desborough Parkes, the daughter of Ambassador Parkes, who was then serving as British ambassador to China and Korea. Levett and Miss Parkes were married in 1884, and in 1885 their son Evelyn Harry Byrd Levett was born, prompting Ambassador Parkes to write "one of his happiest letters... written in January 1885 to his daughter, Mrs. Levett, on the memorable occasion when he became a grandfather."In 1889, Levett inherited the Sibton Abbey Estate with the Lord of the Manorship Sibton with the Members from his aunt. The property, which was the only Cistercian abbey in East Anglia, had been in the Scrivener family since its purchase in the early seventeenth century by John Scrivener, son of an Ipswich barrister and bailiff grown rich in the wool trade. The Scrivener family later purchased 20,000 acres (81 km2) from the Duke of Norfolk to add to their Suffolk holdings. After inheriting Sibton Abbey, Egerton Levett changed his name to Levett-Scrivener in accordance with his aunt's wishes.
In 1890, six years after their marriage, Levett's wife Mabel was killed in a fall from her horse. A year later, in 1891, Levett married in Bristol his cousin Mary Millicent Mirehouse. (Levett's mother was a Mirehouse, and his brother Richard Byrd Levett ultimately also changed his name to Richard Walter Byrd Mirehouse on succeeding to Mirehouse family property at The Hall, Angle, Pembrokeshire, where by-then Richard W.B. Mirehouse served as High Sheriff of Pembrokeshire as well as Lieutenant Colonel of 4th Batt. North Staffs Regiment.)Levett-Scrivener became an avid agriculturalist and farmer on the Sibton Abbey estate. He improved the farmland, and studied the manorial records of the Sibton properties, which were still in family hands, and shared them with historians. Levett-Scrivener tracked the produce grown on the farms, the cost of labor and the rentals accruing to the Scrivener owners. He also opened the Abbey periodically to county historians and antiquarians so they could investigate the ruins of the once-wealthy abbey, which had fallen during the Dissolution of the Monasteries to the Howard family.Royal Navy [[Captain] Egerton Bagot Byrd Levett-Scrivener died in 1954. He was survived by one son from his first marriage and three daughters from his second marriage, Iris, Winnifred and Pamela.
The Levett-Scrivener family has longstanding ties to the Royal Navy. Egerton Levett-Scrivener's son Evelyn Harry Byrd, also joined the Royal Navy, where he rose to the rank of Commander and predeceased his father on 22nd August 1950. He had two full siblings, Egerton Alaric Parkes Levett-Scrivener,named in part for his grandfather Parkes,and a sister Dorothy who died in infancy, and the three were baptized at the Berkswich, Staffordshire, church where their father Levett-Scrivener worshipped as a child.
The Levett-Scriveners, and most of their Scrivener relatives, are buried at St. Peter's Church in Sibton, near Yoxford, Suffolk. In 2005, the Levett-Scrivener family felt compelled to purchase the local village post office and shop facing closure in this quiet corner of rural England.Royal Navy Captain Egerton Bagot Byrd Levett-Scrivener's great-great grandfather, John Freston Scrivener, was a cousin of Horatio Nelson, source The Nelsons of Burnham Thorpe by M. Eyre Matcham published by The Bodley Head, 1911. Amusingly amongst the ancestors of this generation of the levett-scrivener family is another Royal Navy stalwart, Admiral William Bligh, captain of the ill-fated HMS Bounty during its mutiny.Jocelyn de Angulo
Jocelyn de Angulo, 1st Baron of Navan (fl. 1172), was an Anglo-Norman knight.Levett
Levett is an Anglo-Norman territorial surname deriving from the village of Livet-en-Ouche, now Jonquerets-de-Livet, in Eure, Normandy. Ancestors of the earliest Levett family in England, the de Livets were lords of the village of Livet, and undertenants of the de Ferrers, among the most powerful of William the Conqueror's Norman lords.List of RNLI stations
Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) stations are the bases for the RNLI's fleet of search and rescue lifeboats that cover the coastal waters around the entire British Isles, as well as major inland waterways.
The service was established in 1824 and is operated largely by volunteers. Its headquarters are at Poole, Dorset and it is a registered charity in both the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland.No. 615 Squadron RAF
No. 615 (County of Surrey) Squadron was a unit of the British Auxiliary Air Force and later the Royal Auxiliary Air Force between 1937 and 1957.Pele Tower, Angle
The Pele Tower in Angle, Pembrokeshire, in southwest Wales is a Grade I-listed stone fortified tower dating back to the 14th century and is the only remaining example of a pele tower in Wales.RAF Angle
Royal Air Force Angle, or RAF Angle, is a former Royal Air Force station. Located on the Angle Peninsula Coast, 8 miles (13 km) west of Pembroke, Pembrokeshire, Wales, it was operational from 1 December 1941 to the 1950s, having been used by both the Royal Air Force (RAF) and the Royal Navy.Sailors' Chapel, Angle
Sailors' Chapel, Seamen's Chapel or Fishermen's Chapel is a Grade I listed building in Angle, Pembrokeshire, Wales. The chapel, which is dedicated to St Anthony, is located in the churchyard of St Mary's parish church.
The chapel is a small, single-cell vaulted building above a raised and vaulted crypt. It was founded in the 15th century (1447) by Edward de Shirburn a "knight of Nangle". It was restored in 1853, and again by Elizabeth Mirehouse in 1862, and rededicated in 1929. Originally a receiving place, or charnel-house, for the corpses of drowned sailors, it became a chapel of rest in the 20th century.Constructed of coarse masonry under a modern tiled roof with a Celtic cross finial, the chapel has Victorian stained glass windows, one of which depicts the miracle of Christ walking upon the sea. There is a stone altar.Tamar-class lifeboat
Tamar-class lifeboats are all-weather lifeboats (ALBs) operated by the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) around the coasts of Great Britain and Ireland. They have replaced the majority of the older Tyne-class ALBs. The prototype was built in 2000 and 27 production boats were introduced between 2006 and 2013.
The class name comes from the River Tamar in south west England which flows into the English Channel, where the hulls from SAR Composites were fitted-out by Babcock International Group.Thorne Island
Thorne Island is a rocky islet and part of the community of Angle, Pembrokeshire, Wales, with an area of 2 acres (8,100 m2), dominated by a coastal artillery fort built to defend the Milford Haven Waterway in the mid-19th century. It has been the site of a number of shipwrecks, including one in 1894 that was carrying a cargo of Scotch whisky.Welsh Tower houses
Welsh Tower Houses were fortified stone houses that were built between the early 14th and 15th centuries. They are related to Tower houses which occur in considerable numbers in Ireland and Scotland and to a much lesser extent in England. A map showing the distribution of Tower houses within the United Kingdom is given in Houses of the Welsh Countryside.West Blockhouse
West Blockhouse may refer to a:
West Blockhouse, a Palmerston Fort in Milford Haven
West Blockhouse, a 16th-century fortification in Angle, Pembrokeshire